PDA

View Full Version : New Crimson Trace for my 1911...

Blinking Dog
01-05-09, 10:23
Bought my first set of laser grips, for my 1911. Got the Crimson Trace in a new style, Black Flame. I used to think they were a bit of a gimmick but have read a lot on the subject from folks I respect, and have seen some videos on them, which has kind of changed my mind. So I thought "why not." And plus, what's not to like about Black Flame grips on your 1911???? :D

I'm going to the range, hopefully today, for my first time to shoot with them. Anyone who has them already have any tips?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/3170240223_8409667ddf_m.jpg

John_Wayne777
01-05-09, 11:34
Bought my first set of laser grips, for my 1911. Got the Crimson Trace in a new style, Black Flame. I used to think they were a bit of a gimmick but have read a lot on the subject from folks I respect, and have seen some videos on them, which has kind of changed my mind. So I thought "why not." And plus, what's not to like about Black Flame grips on your 1911???? :D

I'm going to the range, hopefully today, for my first time to shoot with them. Anyone who has them already have any tips?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3097/3170240223_8409667ddf_m.jpg

What I recommend:

1. Move the dot to sit on the top of the front sight post at the zero range you wish to use, and then doing fine adjustment based on the strike of the rounds....this, of course, assumes your irons are properly zeroed.

2. Have a good, steady rest AND the instructions and tools handy while sighting in.

3. Remember to move the dot in the direction of the bullets...not the direction of the correction...if you are shooting low, move the dot lower. If you are shooting to the right, move the dot to the right, etc.

4. Did I mention a good steady rest?

5. Just like when zeroing any other sight you want to remove as much human error from the equation as possible.

6. Once you have them sighted in use the dot and shoot for precision at various ranges to see what your offset is. Take good notes. Make sure to do the same thing with your carry ammo, assuming this is a carry gun.

ToddG
01-05-09, 14:38
Be very careful and deliberate when pressing the trigger. The laser tends to induce "perfect sight picture syndrome" in a lot of people which results in jerked shots. Once you get used to using the laser as a sighting tool, this won't be such an issue.
Don't get overly wrapped up with the wobble you see. The dot is just telling you where the gun is pointed. Your front sight covered the exact same wobble zone, it just wasn't as noticeable.
Use the laser or the front sight, not both at once. Sounds weird to me, but I have met countless people who thought they were supposed to focus on both at once or try to use both to aim.
Definitely second JW777's comment, you want to zero the laser just like you'd zero any other sighting system.
For adjusting the laser, remember the little mnemonic "upright." Turning clockwise will move the laser UP or RIGHT depending on whether you're talking about the top or side adjustment.
Understand that the using the laser properly requires training and practice just like anything else.
You can make the choice to turn the laser into a crutch ... don't. Always practice with your iron sights as if they were the only sights you'd have. Then work with the laser.

Blinking Dog
01-05-09, 16:23
Thanks guys for the tips. I got in a short session at the range. First did some IA drills and basic trigger press work, then turned on the laser. Wow. First thing, I guess to be expected, was the distraction. I was mesmerized by the laser. Then I noticed that I wanted to look at the laser dot on the target and completely ignore my irons. I suppose there is a time and place for that, but I was ignoring fundamentals to look at the cool dot. Then I snapped out of it and went back to the irons. I realized the laser was almost zeroed in right out of the box.

About the time I figured I would do some adjusting to the laser the power went off at the range. Let me tell you, it gets mighty dark really quick in an indoor range when the lights go out. I am paranoid enough about the shooters around me, so imagine being in there in the dark. Luckily there was only one other guy there, an older dude shooting what I believe was - get this - a pellet pistol. I guess he's like both my grandpa and dad and doesn't like cats getting in his garbage (?). Anyway, a range guy came in with his big flashlight and we packed up and left. Oops, I left my flashlight at home. Note to self...

On another side note, the weather here is kinda bad and I guess ice accumulated on the power lines and caused an outage, or some idiot crashed in to a pole. Power was out to stop lights along the way home too. Not blinking, just out...nada, zip, no light. So to my amazement the good folks (well, most of them) on the road figured it out and were taking turns at intersections as if the lights were blinking red. Except about one in 10 cars would just zoom right through as if they owned the place. Geez, some people.

So back on point, I see that like Todd said, the laser is going to take some training. Not a simple bolt-on and you're done. But I like the idea of it and am looking forward to working in to the tool kit.

HeadHunter
01-05-09, 17:57
I work with my laser every day, even if just a bit.

Once you get used to using it, you can do some amazing things with the laser. This video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5765497465832437742&hl=en) is of the freestyle Rogers tests shot in low light using the Laser. I picked the lighting such that the targets were perfectly visible (my camera doesn't quite pick up as much light as the human eye) but it was way too late in the day to discern the sights. I made 63 hits out of 69 possible. Without the laser, I probably would have gotten about 21. Todd knows what that's all about.

It worked really well in the shoothouses during the Hackathorn/Vickers Lowlight class, as well. Ken was behind me and made the comment: "Pretty difficult to do that with night sights but no big deal with the laser, isn't it?"

John_Wayne777
01-05-09, 18:22
It worked really well in the shoothouses during the Hackathorn/Vickers Lowlight class, as well. Ken was behind me and made the comment: "Pretty difficult to do that with night sights but no big deal with the laser, isn't it?"

When you're in the dark and moving there's simply nothing better.

David Thomas
05-06-10, 23:45
I work with my laser every day, even if just a bit.

Once you get used to using it, you can do some amazing things with the laser. This video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5765497465832437742&hl=en) is of the freestyle Rogers tests shot in low light using the Laser. I picked the lighting such that the targets were perfectly visible (my camera doesn't quite pick up as much light as the human eye) but it was way too late in the day to discern the sights. I made 63 hits out of 69 possible. Without the laser, I probably would have gotten about 21. Todd knows what that's all about.

I know this is an old post, but for some reason I did not see it before now. Thanks for posting that video.

During my first Hackathorn class, I did not have a set of laser grips. When I left the class I bought a set. During my second Hackathorn class, I had them on my carry gun and used it during the night portion of the class. It almost felt like I was cheating... Of course laser sights do not prevent you from snatching the trigger.

those of you who, like me, missed this thread the first time around watch:

This video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5765497465832437742&hl=en)

Once again very interesting video and thanks for taking the time to post it.