PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory or S&W?

shadowspirit
11-18-23, 04:38
For a mid-priced AR, is Springfield Armory or S&W (other than the Sport models) the better one?

JediGuy
11-18-23, 04:48
This is going to be entirely subjective. However, S&W sold their non-sport models to police departments, and I’ve generally heard good things about them. The opposite is true about Springfield AR’s.

Stickman
11-18-23, 09:53
This is going to be entirely subjective. However, S&W sold their non-sport models to police departments, and I’ve generally heard good things about them. The opposite is true about Springfield AR’s.

Most departments have nothing but positive things to say about them. Again, this is the non sport model we are talking about.

Budget
11-18-23, 11:30
I tested a couple Springfield rifles a couple years back. You'd be more accurate with a pistol at virtually any distance. The other rifles we tested were doing 2-4 inch groups and the Springfield wouldn't Group reliably enough to get a zero. Multiple optics and mounts swapped out to rule out optic or mount failure (PROs w/ standard mounts). I remember gas to face and they were unsuppressed.

A friend of mine has ! Springfield that took a couple hundred rounds before grouping anything worth talking about. So maybe they have a break-in period but I wouldn't trust them enough to put my money there.

I still say wait for more Colt trade ins at Aim or AU or wherever. They aren't cool and sexy anymore so lots of PDs are getting rid of them for full rails or SBRs.

shadowspirit
11-18-23, 12:13
I tested a couple Springfield rifles a couple years back. You'd be more accurate with a pistol at virtually any distance. The other rifles we tested were doing 2-4 inch groups and the Springfield wouldn't Group reliably enough to get a zero. Multiple optics and mounts swapped out to rule out optic or mount failure (PROs w/ standard mounts). I remember gas to face and they were unsuppressed.

A friend of mine has ! Springfield that took a couple hundred rounds before grouping anything worth talking about. So maybe they have a break-in period but I wouldn't trust them enough to put my money there.

I still say wait for more Colt trade ins at Aim or AU or wherever. They aren't cool and sexy anymore so lots of PDs are getting rid of them for full rails or SBRs.

I think it was fairly recent Springfield started making them. Maybe the latest ones are much better.

What brands of full rails or SBRs are police departments going with when they dump their Colt M4s?

Budget
11-18-23, 12:18
Mine is getting Sig M400s. Sig and Holosun are killing it right now. I know a few other places getting Sigs as well.

The Sig is only $50 more and comes with a light optic and sling. The Colt does not.

matemike
11-18-23, 12:52
My M&P-15 purchased some 15 years ago has been extremely reliable.
Omaba was coming into office and NOTHING was mid-priced in that time. I paid what I paid for it because it was available and I didn't know anything about anything in the AR market.
But I like I said, it works for my needs. It's backup to much better stuff that I own nowadays.

shadowspirit
11-18-23, 17:35
My M&P-15 purchased some 15 years ago has been extremely reliable.
Omaba was coming into office and NOTHING was mid-priced in that time. I paid what I paid for it because it was available and I didn't know anything about anything in the AR market.
But I like I said, it works for my needs. It's backup to much better stuff that I own nowadays.

@matemike

Interesting post.

Was everything expensive when you bought your M&P-15? Or just no mid-priced models at the time?

Pappabear
11-18-23, 18:33
Why limit your self to those two guns? So many better options even at reasonable prices. Your store has just those two? You can buy a gun online FYI. Not trying to be rude but there are more options, but the NON SPORTER S&W guns are supposed too be good guns. Do you know the difference?

PB

shadowspirit
11-19-23, 01:37
Why limit your self to those two guns? So many better options even at reasonable prices. Your store has just those two? You can buy a gun online FYI. Not trying to be rude but there are more options, but the NON SPORTER S&W guns are supposed too be good guns. Do you know the difference?

PB

They seem like a couple of mid priced models that compete with each other.

Yes, I know the difference of the S&W sporter and non-sporter models.

Krazykarl
11-19-23, 10:31
I have personal knowledge of an entire order of SA Saint carbines that were sent back for new uppers. Chambers were out of spec.

shadowspirit
11-19-23, 22:05
I have personal knowledge of an entire order of SA Saint carbines that were sent back for new uppers. Chambers were out of spec.

It's hard to overlooks something like that as a consumer.