PDA

View Full Version : Supressor Question

SFW
11-23-23, 14:38
Ok. I’m looking to get my first can. I own rifles in .30 and 5.56. So should I start with a .30 can to begin with so I can run it on all of my uppers, or should I keep them caliber specific?

My thought was to start with the .30 can so I could run it on both my 300BLK and my 5.56 rifles. And then worry about a dedicated 5.56 can later. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint
11-23-23, 14:56
Not a bad plan.

However, once you get one can, the only variable is how many you'll eventally have.

Which ones are you looking at?

hotrodder636
11-23-23, 15:04
I just went 30 cal cans. I cannot hear a perceptible difference between the 5.56 vs a 30 cal can on a 5.56 gun. Tone and volume seem the same to me.

ryanm
11-23-23, 16:40
Definitely helps to pick an ecosystem and stay within those product lines to minimize having to buy multiple similar products. I may not have taken my own advice here, but my intent started out correct and then spiraled. My go to is a Surefire 300SPS and will remain so, but now I have multiples brands/designs in NFA jail waiting... Most of my muzzle devices are surefire SOCOM standard and that makes it somewhat easier.

fedupflyer
11-23-23, 16:52
A 22LR suppressor is a gateway drug.

Just stay away from the "K" cans. They are much louder than standard on long can and I view them as an expensive flash hider.

Other than that, sounds like a good plan.

Have a look over at Pew Science to see some reviews.

Stickman
11-23-23, 18:35
30 cal can first, anything else after that. The only exception would be if you shoot a bunch of .22, if so, get the .22 and .30 cal cans at the same time.

SFW
11-23-23, 23:54
My planed system is the Surefire SOCOM line. I have been outfitting my rifles with the Surefire muzzle devices for about a year now. I know that they may not be the quietest cans on the market, but I like their proven track record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMS951
11-24-23, 08:11
I think .30 cal is nice because it is more fun/quiet on .300blk than a 5.56 can/set up.

Having both I never bother with 30 cal cans on 5.56. Mainly because they are so big. Even ‘smaller’ 30 cal cans are quite a bit bigger than a full size 5.56 cans.

I value my cans as 22lr, 9mm, and 30 in that order. Followed by 5.56 and then 45.

The 30 cal cans are really only for 300blk for me. I tried them on my scar 17, and ok cool I can suppress it, but it’s still loud as heck and long.

I’d shoot snakes and mice with my silenced 22 pistol and it’s had been my ‘most useful’ silencer so far.

Expectation vs reality, 45 was a big disappointment and a big can.

Pappabear
11-24-23, 08:56
The sound difference is negligible at best, I have found 30 cal cans on 556 work just as good because they are longer and fatter so just as hush hush and you get less back pressure. If you decide on a. 30 cal can, your biggest consideration is weight, don't buy a hog 30 cal, consider a Ti can and maybe a shorter-ish 30 can.

Also, you could go direct thread and work with an adapter. Oh, and you will buy another can, so understand that in your decisions.

PB

crosseyedshooter
11-24-23, 10:23
I went with .30 cal and 9mm for my first cans. My biggest takeaway from my suppressor journey isn’t the sound, gas blowback, flash, burnt finger tips, or any of a myriad of little compromises. My biggest takeaway is, hanging 17 ounces off the front of my rifles make them unwieldy and I don’t enjoy shooting them with the can on.

hotrodder636
11-24-23, 10:35
I went with .30 cal and 9mm for my first cans. My biggest takeaway from my suppressor journey isn’t the sound, gas blowback, flash, burnt finger tips, or any of a myriad of little compromises. My biggest takeaway is, hanging 17 ounces off the front of my rifles make them unwieldy and I don’t enjoy shooting them with the can on.

Definitely noticeable on a full-length barrel. For SBRs, they still are a bit front heavy, but the SBR with can length is much more reasonable. For bolt guns, running off of a bipod, not really noticable.

markm
11-24-23, 10:55
I don't think I'd ever buy another 5.56 can. If I were getting another can, I'd get one of those direct thread 30 cals that has the adapters for 1/2-28 and 5/8-20.

Stopsign32v
11-24-23, 11:29
Huxwrx Ventom

WillBrink
11-24-23, 14:25
The sound difference is negligible at best, I have found 30 cal cans on 556 work just as good because they are longer and fatter so just as hush hush and you get less back pressure. If you decide on a. 30 cal can, your biggest consideration is weight, don't buy a hog 30 cal, consider a Ti can and maybe a shorter-ish 30 can.

Also, you could go direct thread and work with an adapter. Oh, and you will buy another can, so understand that in your decisions.

PB

Now you tell me! I went with 5.56 as it was my understanding was there is a noticeable difference of a .30 can on a 5.56 gun vs a 5.56 can. That's why I went with the 5.56 can.

mark5pt56
11-24-23, 14:32
I went with the Nomad 30 for the rifle, keeping in mind that it was intended for bolt guns/precsion and I now use the Area 419 hub and adapter and added the E brake on the end. I'm waiting for the Sandman S to clear on the Semi's and use mostly the flash hider Keymo or Keymo Micro. Everyone always seems to say the .22 would be your first, I thought about it and pretty much was "wtf" for?"
Since you seemed to have invested in SF muzzle devices, then that route makes sense, like everyone else has said, stay with a .30 and don't dork around changing end caps as one day you will forget. I haven't as I stayed with the .30 end cap.

markm
11-24-23, 14:33
as it was my understanding was there is a noticeable difference of a .30 can on a 5.56 gun vs a 5.56 can.

I've never noticed any difference at all. The only time a can is a little barkier is when it's a mini.

Pappabear
11-24-23, 16:38
I went with the Nomad 30 for the rifle, keeping in mind that it was intended for bolt guns/precsion and I now use the Area 419 hub and adapter and added the E brake on the end. I'm waiting for the Sandman S to clear on the Semi's and use mostly the flash hider Keymo or Keymo Micro. Everyone always seems to say the .22 would be your first, I thought about it and pretty much was "wtf" for?"
Since you seemed to have invested in SF muzzle devices, then that route makes sense, like everyone else has said, stay with a .30 and don't dork around changing end caps as one day you will forget. I haven't as I stayed with the .30 end cap.

That Nomad 30 is a great can in my estimation. Small, light and pretty quiet. I go DT for my use.

PB

Stickman
11-24-23, 17:19

Yup, add in they make things much much dirtier as well.

Wake27
11-25-23, 01:48
Yup, add in they make things much much dirtier as well.

And they get hot AF. Awesome? Yes. Part of that awesome just because they’re so difficult to get? Definitely yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MegademiC
11-25-23, 09:10
Larger bore cans are, in my limited experience, louder downrange, but not a noticable difference to the shooter.

I love my socom 556mini on a 14.5" and 11.5"

I run an r9 on a precision 556 and a 6.5 bolt rifle and its loud to bystanders on the bolt rifle, okay on the AR, but quiet when youre behind either gun. Low blowback too, naturally.

SteyrAUG
11-26-23, 15:31
Now you tell me! I went with 5.56 as it was my understanding was there is a noticeable difference of a .30 can on a 5.56 gun vs a 5.56 can. That's why I went with the 5.56 can.

There actually is a difference, especially indoors and downrange. Also .308 cans tend to be bigger and heavier than 5.56 cans and M4 type rifles are already a tad front heavy.

I understand it for people on a very limited budget, something is better than nothing and you work with what you have and make it work. But if you can afford it...5.56 cans for 5.56 and 7.62 cans for 7.62.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 15:52
Would be nice if suppressors were priced correctly according to the volume and difficulty in manufacturing them.

Then again it's laughable that a Glock with it's complexity cost $500.

Waylander
11-26-23, 21:18
Would be nice if suppressors were priced correctly according to the volume and difficulty in manufacturing them.

Then again it's laughable that a Glock with it's complexity cost $500.

Most free market pricing is based on supply and demand. Don’t like the price of something? Don’t buy it.

titsonritz
11-26-23, 23:10
There actually is a difference, especially indoors and downrange. Also .308 cans tend to be bigger and heavier than 5.56 cans and M4 type rifles are already a tad front heavy.

I understand it for people on a very limited budget, something is better than nothing and you work with what you have and make it work. But if you can afford it...5.56 cans for 5.56 and 7.62 cans for 7.62.

This 100%. It’s about the weight/balance.

Dutch110
11-27-23, 10:27
I started out with a 30 cal can and a 22 can. Two months later I started buying dedicated 5.56 cans. This is my observation based solely on the cans /manufacturers I have

My Rugged Razor 7.62 on a 5.56 is definitely louder than the same sized 5.56 can (in this case an OCL Polonium.) But with less back pressure.

My Polo 30 and my Polo K on an 11.5 are pretty much identical from a sound comparison. The 30 has a bit less back pressure. But is also longer and heavier.

Polo 30 and full size Polo the Polo is definitely quieter but with a bit more back pressure.

Polo 30 VS Razor on an 11.5 7.62 x 39 the Polo is definitely quieter. Back pressure is the same.

If I could only have one can to rule them all I would buy the Polo 30 and be very happy. All this means is every manufacturer is different. My observations may not hold true if I were doing this with other brands. Point being there are no absolute statements in this game. Some folks hate Pew Science but I have found, in general when compared against the other cans on their list, that their observations do hold true. I have had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of cans through friends and the SOT where I shoot who has a bunch of demo cans when I was making my purchase decision originally and I still didn't get it right lol.

georgeib
11-27-23, 10:35
Some folks hate Pew Science

People get upset because Pew Science doesn't validate their biases based on what they've already purchased.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we fast forwarded 10 years to find that pretty much all new cans for supersonic semi-auto rifles are of a flow through design of some sort. In the meantime, people are upset that their high backpressure cans don't perform nearly as well as they thought they would, especially when compared to more advanced designs.

Dutch110
11-27-23, 12:29
People get upset because Pew Science doesn't validate their biases based on what they've already purchased.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we fast forwarded 10 years to find that pretty much all new cans for supersonic semi-auto rifles are of a flow through design of some sort. In the meantime, people are upset that their high backpressure cans don't perform nearly as well as they thought they would, especially when compared to more advanced designs.

It's definitely going to be interesting. At this moment the flow through designs tend to be louder but I see the CAT stuff is making headway in that game. Once they are consistently as quiet as the non flow through designs I think it's going to be the standard. I love the design. Have had a chance to play with a Flow 5.56 and a Ventum and the core is so freaking cool. I will own one eventually.

Most of the people hating on Pew that I see are butt hurt that they won't reveal their proprietary testing methodology. Which is kind of stupid. Asking a company to divulge their trade secrets.

WillBrink
11-27-23, 17:07
It's definitely going to be interesting. At this moment the flow through designs tend to be louder but I see the CAT stuff is making headway in that game. Once they are consistently as quiet as the non flow through designs I think it's going to be the standard. I love the design. Have had a chance to play with a Flow 5.56 and a Ventum and the core is so freaking cool. I will own one eventually.

Most of the people hating on Pew that I see are butt hurt that they won't reveal their proprietary testing methodology. Which is kind of stupid. Asking a company to divulge their trade secrets.

Testing I read found quieter as the shooter side, louder at the other end.

Dutch110
11-28-23, 13:01
Testing I read found quieter as the shooter side, louder at the other end.

Depends on the can they are being compared against. Which is why I used the word "consistently." Because there are flow through cans out there that are still out performed at the ear compared to back pressure cans. CAT is one that appears to have it figured out. The Flow 5.56 I had the chance to play around with did not.