PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with Dead Air?

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 09:35
I'm reading a lot of people aren't happy with Dead Air right now and QC issues are popping up left and right. From a company that is so huge in the suppressor business I can't imagine this type of issue can last if they are smart.

Anyone know anything about this?

GTF425
11-26-23, 10:33
Sierra 5s are committing suicide due to improperly cast baffles and owners with RMAs for warranty repair are in the 7+ month wait to get their cans back while receiving radio silence from DA in the meantime.

I own 2 DA cans, a Sandman K and a Sierra 5, and I won't consider buying another because of the ongoing S5 debacle.

JediGuy
11-26-23, 11:37
I picked up a KeyMo hub adaptor yesterday specifically because I like the system…but not sure whether they’ll be making them by the time my can is released in 9 months.

There are a lot of very unhappy people, and the company has not helped things.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 11:42
I was really wanting to get a Wolfman for my KP9 and some handgun shooting for shits and giggles. It blows my mind that as big as they are in the Suppressor world they are allowing this to happen.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-26-23, 12:13
I have 3 DA cans and about 5 rifles with their muzzle devices on them. I planned to stay heavily invested in DA until I started seeing news like this. I went to a training with a guy who had a tan Sierra 5 that destroyed itself.

I think I will be going Huxworx moving forward.

GTF425
11-26-23, 12:21
I'm in the same boat. My next can is going to be a Velos specifically to have a low backpressure, modular mount can. If I only ever planned on one rifle, I'd just pick up an RC2 and be done with it.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 12:36

I am curious about the flow through. Wondering how much louder they are than a more traditional.

Inkslinger
11-26-23, 12:44
I am curious about the flow through. Wondering how much louder they are than a more traditional.

I’m waiting on a Velos to get out of jail, but it’s my understanding that some of it is subjective. It will be louder at the muzzle, but quieter at the port.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 12:49
What made you guys go with the Velos over a Huxwrx?

Inkslinger
11-26-23, 13:03

It’s probably silly, but the swirling end of the huxwrx looked problematic to me. Knowing me, I would end up getting shit in the end of it.

SteveL
11-26-23, 13:12
I have 3 DA cans and about 5 rifles with their muzzle devices on them. I planned to stay heavily invested in DA until I started seeing news like this. I went to a training with a guy who had a tan Sierra 5 that destroyed itself.

I'm in a similar situation with two DA cans, a Sandman K and Sierra 5, and three rifles set up for Keymo. Unfortunately I was about six months into the wait for the Sierra 5 before I learned of their issues. I don't really need any more AR's, but if I set up another I'm eyeing Huxwrx as well.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:13
It’s probably silly, but the swirling end of the huxwrx looked problematic to me. Knowing me, I would end up getting shit in the end of it.

Not trying to sway you but

https://huxwrx.com/ventum-762

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k5jq3j85wp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/3587/28604/HUXWRX-762__88267.1695588724.JPG?c=2

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:14
You guys think I should still roll the dice for the Wolfman for a 9mm/300 blackout can?

I think any way I go I will be running the Rearden Atlas

GTF425
11-26-23, 13:16

Modular mount options vs proprietary with the Flow 556k.

The state of Dead Air right now are an example of why that's a good idea.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:18
Modular mount options vs proprietary with the Flow 556k.

The state of Dead Air right now are an example of why that's a good idea.

Look at Huxwrx's latest above. Solves all of your problems.

Inkslinger
11-26-23, 13:22
Not trying to sway you but

https://huxwrx.com/ventum-762

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k5jq3j85wp/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/3587/28604/HUXWRX-762__88267.1695588724.JPG?c=2

You can’t sway me at this point. I’m 7 months into the process. If this was available when I purchased the Velos, I would have considered it. Maybe it will be my next one…

GTF425
11-26-23, 13:23
Look at Huxwrx's latest above. Solves all of your problems.

Cool.

GTF425
11-26-23, 13:25
You guys think I should still roll the dice for the Wolfman for a 9mm/300 blackout can?

I think any way I go I will be running the Rearden Atlas

Yeah man, go for it.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:30
Yeah man, go for it.

From everything I have seen it sounds like the S5 is the only issue people are having. However the lack of attention to the problem is what has me nervous. If I need customer service later with my Wolfman will it be there?

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:32
You can’t sway me at this point. I’m 7 months into the process. If this was available when I purchased the Velos, I would have considered it. Maybe it will be my next one…

For what it's worth the Velos looks a bit cooler IMO. Only thing I like more about the Ventum is you can remove the core and possibly change out the endplate.

GTF425
11-26-23, 13:41
If I need customer service later with my Wolfman will it be there?

Only you can determine if this is important to you or not. Thinking back on when AAC went backrupt, I'd wager it's worth avoiding DA with the writing that's on the wall.

Just Prince
11-26-23, 13:49
Dead Air doesn't actually machine the Sierra 5. They are beholden to the company that does the machine work and how fast they can make the repairs. My Dead Air Sandman L is made by KG Made. The Sierra silencers are made by a different company. The first three characters of the serial number will tell you the name of the machine shop. Dead Air may have dropped the ball on the quality control front or The problem didn't occur during their approval process or the problem is outside their current testing parameters.

georgeib
11-26-23, 13:50
Only you can determine if this is important to you or not. Thinking back on when AAC went bankrupt, I'd wager it's worth avoiding DA with the writing that's on the wall.

Agreed. It's unfortunately because they make probably one of the best rimfire can on the market, which I would love to have a second one of. But as things stand, I won't be risking it until things get settled.

From the looks of things, the company that was manufacturing the cans for DA was fired by them, and DA has been dealing with the logistics of getting the cans repaired and also finding a new manufacturer. I don't envy them. But the lack of communication is hard to forgive.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 13:58
Dead Air doesn't actually machine the Sierra 5. They are beholden to the company that does the machine work and how fast they can make the repairs. My Dead Air Sandman L is made by KG Made. The Sierra silencers are made by a different company. The first three characters of the serial number will tell you the name of the machine shop. Dead Air may have dropped the ball on the quality control front or The problem didn't occur during their approval process or the problem is outside their current testing parameters.

I had no idea Dead Air didn't 100% make their suppressors.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 14:08
Does anyone know who makes the Wolfman for DA?

Wake27
11-26-23, 16:15
Why is this even a consideration? You’re seeing product issues AND business (CS) issues and you still want to try them, especially considering all the ass pain going into NFA items?

Does no one else make a can that fits your requirements?

Seems like insanity to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 16:23
Why is this even a consideration? You’re seeing product issues AND business (CS) issues and you still want to try them, especially considering all the ass pain going into NFA items?

Does no one else make a can that fits your requirements?

Seems like insanity to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd love to hear a better alternative for the Wolfman suppressor.

Hammer_Man
11-26-23, 19:00
If you want to buy once and cry once, Surefire just released the RC3 with reduced back pressure front plate. I’d trust this over anything DA, or Silencer Co.

https://www.silencershop.com/surefire-socom-556-rc3.html

MegademiC
11-26-23, 19:11

The yhm r9 would be a viable alternative. Not sure about better - depends on your priorities.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 19:37
For what it's worth I did read this

It's not necessarily Dead Air, a lot of it is KGM got bad batches of Stellite for baffles (Sierra 5 issues), and then they started pitching a fit and throwing DA (who is now their direct competitor), and their customers under warranty contacts, under the bus because DA pulled their contract with them, and are going to use another sub. I wouldn't buy a damn thing from KGM ever after how they're treating DA customers who send in warranty claims. And until Dead Air gets shit situated, I'm good with the 4 quality DA cans that I have.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 19:38
The yhm r9 would be a viable alternative. Not sure about better - depends on your priorities.

I doesn't have a fraction of the modularity the Wolfman has.

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 19:38
If you want to buy once and cry once, Surefire just released the RC3 with reduced back pressure front plate. I’d trust this over anything DA, or Silencer Co.

https://www.silencershop.com/surefire-socom-556-rc3.html

Would be an interesting 9mm option

Pappabear
11-26-23, 20:37
I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been stated:

I heard from a friend that DA wants to blame the engineering company or person and the engineering company says it "your design" or some BS argument and the customer is paying the price. And neither of them wants to pay the fiddler. So yea my guess is they go down at this rate.

I have two Nomad 30 cans that I absolutely love, too bad they might die on the vine.

PB

Stopsign32v
11-26-23, 21:15
I have not read this entire thread so I apologize if this has been stated:

I heard from a friend that DA wants to blame the engineering company or person and the engineering company says it "your design" or some BS argument and the customer is paying the price. And neither of them wants to pay the fiddler. So yea my guess is they go down at this rate.

I have two Nomad 30 cans that I absolutely love, too bad they might die on the vine.

PB

Makes sense really. This is the same stuff that is all through the automotive OEM world. It's not the OEM's fault because it's the suppliers fault. Supplier says that's how you wanted it (design) and then the OEM argues that the supplier is responsible for the engineering.

Everyone wants to get off the hook and not be held responsible. Very rarely do they ever really care about the customer...Only the customer's (their) money.

tb-av
11-26-23, 22:27
Who/What is KGM?

Hammer_Man
11-27-23, 03:00
Who/What is KGM?

The company that actually builds DA’s suppressors.

w3453l
11-27-23, 09:53
For what it’s worth, my Sierra 5 had its baffles come loose within less than 60 rounds (I loaded two mags less than full). For the short duration it lasted, I really liked it. I sent mine in for warranty about 60 days ago; so that’s the far end of the quoted return time from DA. I’m not really holding my breath about getting it back anytime soon.

I do also have a Sandman S FDE that I’ve been pleased with so far, but I think you’d be foolish to buy anything DA right now. I have a feeling sometime in the future some third party company is going to capitalize on rebuilding DA cans.

At first I was positive that DA was going to fix the Sierra 5 issue, and it was going to be only a minor hiccup for them. But after seeing how this has been handled I can’t see it as being a minor problem like they said it was - back when they still commented on the issue. Now there’s been zero communication from DA.

ETA: I think if the problems they’re having were really as minor as they initially said they were, then they would have put out a statement long ago. Why there’s been zero communication, no recalls issued, who knows how many RMA’d Sierra 5’s waiting for repair while new inventory of Sierra 5’s is being pushed to dealers, it just all seems like they are taking the worst approach at every angle.

Dutch110
11-27-23, 10:07
Couple of things here. DA put their name on the S5 so at that point ALL issues are owned by them. Blaming a machine shop or supplier just tells me that their QC sucks. Add to that the CS issues on top of it (I have a buddy who works at the LGS who had to track them down by getting the contact number off of their FFL filing) and there is no way I would buy from them right now. And that's the thing. Everyone in manufacturing runs into issues. It happens. Own it. They didn't. And that is what is bothersome.

Ecco Machine will re core a can for something like $250 bucks. If I had a blowed up S5 right now it would be headed to them. Warranty is gone, but so what.

There are other cans out there who's manufacturers stand by their product. I, for one, am a huge fan of Otter Creek Labs. Quiet AF. Maybe a tad more gassy than a flow through (use the K on the shorter barrels and you'll be fine) and all steel (so a bit heavier) but they flat our work. And they have a no BS warranty. Rugged is another great company as far as CS is concerned and making durable cans. My point being, for the money and total pain the a$$ in dealing with NFA items we shouldn't accept poor quality and service.

GTF425
11-27-23, 10:47
Everyone in manufacturing runs into issues. It happens. Own it. They didn't. And that is what is bothersome.

That's part of what bothers me the most. I bought the Sierra 5 based on DAs reputation for making a quality product and having a stellar warranty for those times it's necessary. Things happen, and they were like the Vortex Optics of the suppressor world with their warranty. However, their complete lack of ownership over the Sierra 5 debacle has ruined them for me. Close to a year ago, when the baffle failures were becoming mainstream knowledge, a DA rep posted on reddit to simply request an RMA and they'll repair any suppressors that have issues. And that's the problem- they know the product has an inherently flawed baffle stack, and they're not taking any active steps to protect their customers. There are an unknown number of Sierra 5s waiting in limbo for repairs (many of which have been waiting longer than the F4 at this point) while the rest of us with them have to wonder if today's the day our suppressor will fail us. Best case, the baffles crumble or loosen and it's caught before a catastrophic failure. Worst case, it will literally explode and risk injuring the shooter or bystanders as well as potentially causing damage to the host rifle.

I'm hoping I run into someone from Dead Air at an LE event so I can air this out in person. But "**** them for not caring" is the gist of it.

KACs recall of some of the PRT suppressors earlier this year is a textbook example of how DA could have handled this situation. But instead, they're letting their customers risk injury instead of admitting they have a faulty product that needs to be inspected and/or replaced.

JediGuy
11-27-23, 11:12
The whole situation appears to equal “overleveraged.” I’m just not sure if they want to fight through it or even see a path at this point.

hotrodder636
11-27-23, 13:16

SiCo Omega 36M

Stopsign32v
11-27-23, 14:02
There are other cans out there who's manufacturers stand by their product. I, for one, am a huge fan of Otter Creek Labs.

This honestly is the company I have been greatly leaning towards. The only thing that bothers me is I believe they are relatively small and new. I'm worried I will invest in a product by a company that is here today gone tomorrow.

Stopsign32v
11-27-23, 14:05
The whole situation appears to equal “overleveraged.” I’m just not sure if they want to fight through it or even see a path at this point.

It depends on the fallout and options they have. However with the absolute love they had made in the community, the business suicide they are deciding to go down seems, rather bewildering. If they had fixed this relatively quickly regardless the solution they would give I have no doubt they would end up on the better side by just pure desire by the gun community. I wouldn't say they had the suppressor market cornered but they owned a HUGE chunk of it.

Like has been said, shit happens. But own it quickly and move on. To let 1 suppressor bring your kingdom down is crazy. I feel they didn't have a contingency plan for what happened, and lost their golden egg supplier with this. They should have been setting up in house production.

Adrenaline_6
11-27-23, 14:53
Damn...I finally got my 3 DA suppressors in last week. A Mask, Wolfman, and Sierra 5.

14 months...thank you ATF!

Haven't had a chance to use them. Been busy during holiday season. Now I have to worry about the S5 taking a crap. Great.

Dutch110
11-27-23, 14:58
This honestly is the company I have been greatly leaning towards. The only thing that bothers me is I believe they are relatively small and new. I'm worried I will invest in a product by a company that is here today gone tomorrow.

I have had the opportunity to trade emails with the owner of OCL. Happened by accident, actually. When this whole DA thing started to blow up I sent in an inquiry about their warranty. He answered the response. Essentially saying if you break it, we fix it and our goal is to turn it around in a week. He also was very helpful when I was trying to decide on a mounting system to use. He and his brother actually got their start in the Form 1 world for cans back when that was a thing. They eventually moved on to start their own shop using that experience. A few weeks ago I mentioned I wanted my K can to be ODG. He said send it back along with 40 bucks and well take care of it (he also posted this on Reddit so it wasn't like it was a favor to me.) From the time I sent it in to the time I had it back in my hands was one week. I do not get the sense these guys are going to be a flash in the pan. Very much feels like they are in it for the long haul. Could I be wrong? Sure. But my BS meter hasn't moved one bit in the dealings I have had to date.

Stopsign32v
11-27-23, 15:08
Damn...I finally got my 3 DA suppressors in last week. A Mask, Wolfman, and Sierra 5.

14 months...thank you ATF!

Haven't had a chance to use them. Been busy during holiday season. Now I have to worry about the S5 taking a crap. Great.

Don't shoot it, maybe it will be a collectors item later. :)

Stopsign32v
11-27-23, 15:13
I have had the opportunity to trade emails with the owner of OCL. Happened by accident, actually. When this whole DA thing started to blow up I sent in an inquiry about their warranty. He answered the response. Essentially saying if you break it, we fix it and our goal is to turn it around in a week. He also was very helpful when I was trying to decide on a mounting system to use. He and his brother actually got their start in the Form 1 world for cans back when that was a thing. They eventually moved on to start their own shop using that experience. A few weeks ago I mentioned I wanted my K can to be ODG. He said send it back along with 40 bucks and well take care of it (he also posted this on Reddit so it wasn't like it was a favor to me.) From the time I sent it in to the time I had it back in my hands was one week. I do not get the sense these guys are going to be a flash in the pan. Very much feels like they are in it for the long haul. Could I be wrong? Sure. But my BS meter hasn't moved one bit in the dealings I have had to date.

I've heard their Polonium has a deeper tone with 5.56 over other cans.

I don't know how new their Lithium 9mm can is but I can find next to no reviews on it on Youtube other than by 1 or 2 different people. Would like to see more on it.

Dutch110
11-27-23, 15:21
I've heard their Polonium has a deeper tone with 5.56 over other cans.

I don't know how new their Lithium 9mm can is but I can find next to no reviews on it on Youtube other than by 1 or 2 different people. Would like to see more on it.

It definitely does have a deeper tone. I haven't seen anything on the Lithium either. I haven't really looked, though. A 9mm can is in my future but since it is going to live on my Scorpion it probably wont be a high dollar one. Thinking YHM R9.

Chowser
12-30-23, 15:21
Don't have a Sierra but have a Mask and Sandman-K. The -K has the serial starting with HPA. Does anyone know if this was KGMade?

Was really thinking about a dedicated 5.56 suppressor but will look elsewhere for now.

Just Prince
12-30-23, 16:40
For what it's worth I did read this

It's not necessarily Dead Air, a lot of it is KGM got bad batches of Stellite for baffles (Sierra 5 issues), and then they started pitching a fit and throwing DA (who is now their direct competitor), and their customers under warranty contacts, under the bus because DA pulled their contract with them, and are going to use another sub. I wouldn't buy a damn thing from KGM ever after how they're treating DA customers who send in warranty claims. And until Dead Air gets shit situated, I'm good with the 4 quality DA cans that I have.
That's not quite accurate. Sound Moderation Technologies makes the Sierra 5 silencer for Dead Air.

Henry Porter
12-30-23, 18:23
I think the HPA designation on the Sandman K stands for Hearing Protection Act. They had a special run with that in the serial number and had them discounted for a while when that piece of legislation was being proposed to remove suppressors from the NFA. Mine has the same pre-fix. This whole thing bums me. I have six DA cans (Sandman S & K, 2 Masks, an Odessa 9 and a Wolfman) and was looking at a Sierra 5 down the road. Need a third rimfire can, and I am looking at a Sig or maybe a Thunderbeast instead of a third Mask

pag23
12-30-23, 20:02
I think the HPA designation on the Sandman K stands for Hearing Protection Act. They had a special run with that in the serial number and had them discounted for a while when that piece of legislation was being proposed to remove suppressors from the NFA. Mine has the same pre-fix. This whole thing bums me. I have six DA cans (Sandman S & K, 2 Masks, an Odessa 9 and a Wolfman) and was looking at a Sierra 5 down the road. Need a third rimfire can, and I am looking at a Sig or maybe a Thunderbeast instead of a third Mask

I have the Sig SRD22X and it has been impressive so far....plus you don't need suppressor sights...it works great on my P322

Henry Porter
12-31-23, 16:23
That is the one I am looking at. Seems to meter well, from what I have read about it. The host would be a Tikka T1x sighted in for CCI Quiet, so maximum suppression is goal.

Dutch110
01-02-24, 09:10
Hearing good things about the OCL Ti 22 can too. But haven't seen any hard data on it yet. 22 cans are 22 cans. Even my Warlock on my 22 bolt gun is stupid quiet. But I want something more durable for other calibers.

gh0sttr3m0r
02-02-24, 09:37
DA has hid from the Sierra 5 problem from day one and taken months (if not longer) to make needed repairs. There are too many good silencer manufacturers to give DA any of your hard earned money.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-05-24, 17:11
Just had my Key Mo mounted Saker launch itself off my Key Mo brake, bending the locking lugs of the brake in the process. Small end cap strike, fouled the gas tube (had to disassemble the factory upper to get enough compressed air to clean it out). Dead Air said to send in the Key Mo and mount but I'm worried it'll be months if not more to get it back.

1_click_off
02-05-24, 20:49

I bought a Q erector. It works great and is very light even in the longest configuration. I like that I can run it short on pistols and stretch it out on my rifles.

Hammer_Man
02-07-24, 13:43
Just had my Key Mo mounted Saker launch itself off my Key Mo brake, bending the locking lugs of the brake in the process. Small end cap strike, fouled the gas tube (had to disassemble the factory upper to get enough compressed air to clean it out). Dead Air said to send in the Key Mo and mount but I'm worried it'll be months if not more to get it back.

That sucks to hear you had an end cap strike. Have you considered other mounting options like Q Plan B?

DancingInAshes
02-07-24, 15:56
For 4+ years on the NFA subreddit, the Deadair cans kept showing up with baffle strikes and people continued to defend them saying it was operator error. Surefire, Huxwrx, Q, TBAC, almost never showed up with baffle strikes because their mounting systems aren't stupid. Mostly just Deadair and YHM cans.

So it's funny to me now that people are finally acknowledging that Deadair has a baffle strike problem that's been obvious for almost half a decade at this point.

People love thinking they're getting a high-performance can in a budget package when they buy Deadair. Helps that Deadair frequently ran promotions for free tax stamps, etc. People are getting a budget can in a mid-tier package when they buy Deadair. They fell for the marketing.

georgeib
02-07-24, 16:34
For 4+ years on the NFA subreddit, the Deadair cans kept showing up with baffle strikes and people continued to defend them saying it was operator error. Surefire, Huxwrx, Q, TBAC, almost never showed up with baffle strikes because their mounting systems aren't stupid. Mostly just Deadair and YHM cans.

So it's funny to me now that people are finally acknowledging that Deadair has a baffle strike problem that's been obvious for almost half a decade at this point.

People love thinking they're getting a high-performance can in a budget package when they buy Deadair. Helps that Deadair frequently ran promotions for free tax stamps, etc. People are getting a budget can in a mid-tier package when they buy Deadair. They fell for the marketing.First, it (the truth) is ridiculed; second, it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-Arthur Schopenhauer

georgeib
02-07-24, 16:35
Just had my Key Mo mounted Saker launch itself off my Key Mo brake, bending the locking lugs of the brake in the process. Small end cap strike, fouled the gas tube (had to disassemble the factory upper to get enough compressed air to clean it out). Dead Air said to send in the Key Mo and mount but I'm worried it'll be months if not more to get it back.At the current turn around time, you might be better off buying a new can.

gh0sttr3m0r
02-08-24, 08:51

People love thinking they're getting a high-performance can in a budget package when they buy Deadair. Helps that Deadair frequently ran promotions for free tax stamps, etc. People are getting a budget can in a mid-tier package when they buy Deadair. They fell for the marketing.

People need to stop becoming brand whores just because they bought something and can't face up to making a mistake.

Chowser
02-08-24, 08:53
not on reddit so is it the keymo mount that's the issue?

I only have a Mask and Sandman-K from Dead Air. I think the Sandman is a keymo mount setup.

DancingInAshes
02-08-24, 09:12
People need to stop becoming brand whores just because they bought something and can't face up to making a mistake.

Yep. My Huxwrx 762 can carbon locks on my 13.9 P&W with the extended suppressor host. I fully acknowledge that this is very annoying to me, since it doesn't carbon lock on my 300 blackout or my 308. It's an issue I'm happy to warn people about when they're looking at Huxwrx cans.

DancingInAshes
02-08-24, 09:19
not on reddit so is it the keymo mount that's the issue?

I only have a Mask and Sandman-K from Dead Air. I think the Sandman is a keymo mount setup.

There's some aspect of the Keymo mounting system that can lead to an operator not fully securing the can to the mount, which can cause a baffle strike if the can gets loose because it will droop a bit in the mount.

Given the number of times it has happened, I'm just going to say it's a horrible design. People can say it's operator error all day, and they're partially right. My position though is that it's a terrible mounting system if it's so easy for the operator to make an error.

Ex: Surefire cans - If you fail to secure the ratchet clamp, the can will fly off but it won't baffle strike because the can is designed to be shot off the host muzzle device in the event of carbon lock. The Huxwrx mounting system just screws on and screws off, and it's impossible to screw that up.

Chowser
02-08-24, 10:01
Thanks for the info. I'm only using it on one rifle these days so I will make sure it's on correctly every time before shooting.

We have been looking into suppressors for work and I recommended thread-on suppressors because there won't be any need to constantly move them around. Our one dealer was recommending Surefire or SIG suppressors to our department.
Our issue is our rifles are 14.5" and the way it's mounted in the cars will knock out some longer suppressors. I guess we could try a new mounting system in the cars when we switch away from the Ford Exploders.

DancingInAshes
02-08-24, 14:02
Thanks for the info. I'm only using it on one rifle these days so I will make sure it's on correctly every time before shooting.

We have been looking into suppressors for work and I recommended thread-on suppressors because there won't be any need to constantly move them around. Our one dealer was recommending Surefire or SIG suppressors to our department.
Our issue is our rifles are 14.5" and the way it's mounted in the cars will knock out some longer suppressors. I guess we could try a new mounting system in the cars when we switch away from the Ford Exploders.

Can't go wrong with a Surefire RC2. Proven over and over again. I've never heard many complaints of the newer SIG suppressors. If the length of the can is a concern, check out the Huxwrx Flow 556K for your department. It won the FBI's HRT contract. Has very good sound suppression and sends gas away from the shooter, which has some potential long-term health benefits for your guys who will be doing higher round counts in training. It offers the best performance you'll currently find in a smaller package, and it also outperforms many full-size cans when it comes to sound suppression.

davidjinks
02-09-24, 07:03
I’m a caveman when it comes to technology. The Huxwurx has me intrigued due to its suppression and tone. I’m hesitant however in regards to it being 3-D printed.

Where I work, I see a lot of “Modern technologically advanced” 3-D printed items and they end up sucking horribly bad. Do the Huxwurx use a different technology? I’m asking because my local shop,has them in stock and the price is pretty damn good. I just ordered an OCM5 for some other rifles. But that Hux really has my interest peaked.

Can't go wrong with a Surefire RC2. Proven over and over again. I've never heard many complaints of the newer SIG suppressors. If the length of the can is a concern, check out the Huxwrx Flow 556K for your department. It won the FBI's HRT contract. Has very good sound suppression and sends gas away from the shooter, which has some potential long-term health benefits for your guys who will be doing higher round counts in training. It offers the best performance you'll currently find in a smaller package, and it also outperforms many full-size cans when it comes to sound suppression.

kerplode
02-09-24, 10:48
Do the Huxwurx use a different technology?

I don't know what you see at work, but the Flow is made from 17-4 stainless using Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS). Basically a laser welds thin layers of metal powder into a solid shape. The performance of DMLS parts depends on the base material, but DMLS 17-4 is pretty tough. It has high yield strength, high surface wear resistance, and high fatigue strength. This manufacturing technique also allows the entire suppressor to be one monolithic part, rather than an assembly of a bunch of individual pieces. These are all good things for a suppressor...

Assuming the process is well controlled and QC is good (and I have no reason to believe HuxWrx would slack on either) suppressors made like this should have durability and service life similar to traditional construction methods. It also allows for creation of shapes that wouldn't be possible with traditional machining, which can lead to novel baffle designs, etc.

FWIW, SpaceX uses DMLS printed Inconel parts for several critical components of its rocket engines.

davidjinks
02-09-24, 12:02
Ordnance related items, control surface items, general testing items (Without getting too deep into it)

Of course, we have the 3D printer capabilities, so maybe that’s the difference.

I’m really liking what I’m seeing with Huxwurx. I guess I’ll be ordering one from my shop as well as the OCM 5.

I don't know what you see at work, but the Flow is made from 17-4 stainless using Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS). Basically a laser welds thin layers of metal powder into a solid shape. The performance of DMLS parts depends on the base material, but DMLS 17-4 is pretty tough. It has high yield strength, high surface wear resistance, and high fatigue strength. This manufacturing technique also allows the entire suppressor to be one monolithic part, rather than an assembly of a bunch of individual pieces. These are all good things for a suppressor...

Assuming the process is well controlled and QC is good (and I have no reason to believe HuxWrx would slack on either) suppressors made like this should have durability and service life similar to traditional construction methods. It also allows for creation of shapes that wouldn't be possible with traditional machining, which can lead to novel baffle designs, etc.

FWIW, SpaceX uses DMLS printed Inconel parts for several critical components of its rocket engines.

markm
02-09-24, 12:24
I’m really liking what I’m seeing with Huxwurx.

I'm going to have to googlize these jokers. I heard my two shooting buddies saying the name a few weeks back, but know nothing about most newer suppressors.

zombiescometh
02-09-24, 16:53
DA definitely needs some work and updates to customer service, but after working at a shooting range I can confidently say at minimum 50% is user error. Mostly from the amount of lose or incorrectly installed muzzle devices I’ve encountered. Not to mention Chinese made mounts, hand loads or barrels that are keyholeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javon
02-10-24, 13:11
I'm reading a lot of people aren't happy with Dead Air right now and QC issues are popping up left and right. From a company that is so huge in the suppressor business I can't imagine this type of issue can last if they are smart.

Anyone know anything about this?

I think you guys are being a little too hard on Dead Air. They make great stuff. Be careful criticizing companies here.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-10-24, 16:35
I think you guys are being a little too hard on Dead Air. They make great stuff. Be careful criticizing companies here.

What a weird post from an unknown member.

Javon
02-10-24, 16:49
What a weird post from an unknown member.

What a weird post from an unknown member? That’s not very nice. You sound like a very snooty person. Don’t take your anger at dead air out on me. You don’t even know me.

Defaultmp3
02-10-24, 17:02
I think you guys are being a little too hard on Dead Air. They make great stuff. Be careful criticizing companies here.What does Dead Air make? Because AFAIK, everything with their name is manufactured by a third party (though I suppose you could argue that SMT is in-house).

Beyond that, how are folks being too hard on Dead Air? There are many stories of poor customer service all over the place, not just here, about Dead Air. Beyond that, just because someone makes or sells great stuff doesn't mean that they have other failings as a company that makes them a non-viable choice.

georgeib
02-10-24, 17:27
What does Dead Air make? Because AFAIK, everything with their name is manufactured by a third party (though I suppose you could argue that SMT is in-house).

Beyond that, how are folks being too hard on Dead Air? There are many stories of poor customer service all over the place, not just here, about Dead Air. Beyond that, just because someone makes or sells great stuff doesn't mean that they have other failings as a company that makes them a non-viable choice.

This is essentially my issue with them. I have a DA Mask that I'm very pleased with. So much so that I was considering a second one. After the way they handled things with the Sierra 5 issues, and the resulting abysmal turn around times and lack of communication, I started looking at other options.

I'm very glad that I did too. The upcoming CAT SR A1 rimfire suppressor seems to be the ticket, as soon as it's released that is.

davidjinks
02-12-24, 09:11
From the things I’ve read, reviews and such, all seem positive.

I know technology has come a long way. Maybe they’re worth a better look.

I'm going to have to googlize these jokers. I heard my two shooting buddies saying the name a few weeks back, but know nothing about most newer suppressors.

DancingInAshes
02-14-24, 13:01
DA definitely needs some work and updates to customer service, but after working at a shooting range I can confidently say at minimum 50% is user error. Mostly from the amount of lose or incorrectly installed muzzle devices I’ve encountered. Not to mention Chinese made mounts, hand loads or barrels that are keyholeing.

My point was that if it's so easy for users to destroy their suppressor, then it means the mounting system is a terrible design.

We don't blame the users for Huxwrx, Surefire, Q, KAC, etc. baffle strikes...because cans from those manufacturers rarely have baffle strikes since the mounting systems aren't designed by idiots like they are over at Deadair.

zombiescometh
02-14-24, 17:20
My point was that if it's so easy for users to destroy their suppressor, then it means the mounting system is a terrible design.

We don't blame the users for Huxwrx, Surefire, Q, KAC, etc. baffle strikes...because cans from those manufacturers rarely have baffle strikes since the mounting systems aren't designed by idiots like they are over at Deadair.

And I wasn’t saying just DA cans suffer this.

It doesn’t matter how well thought out a mount and mounting system is if Billy bob doesn’t mount the muzzle device correctly bad things can happen, uses wrong ammo bad things can happen, doesn’t pay attention to barrel length & fire rate restrictions bad things can happen, uses non recommended equipment bad things can happen etc etc

Plus don’t forget about Murphy’s law.