PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by the HK P30L bug

Waylander
12-02-23, 14:31
I own a USP40 and have owned a couple USP9, P2000, and VP9. So I’m not new to HK, just to the P30.

I ordered a P30L in V1 light LEM and got a good deal at a little over $600. I need night sights preferably tall. The factory VP9 supressor height night sights fit and look like the best option but I’m looking at other opinions too.

I may get it milled and I’m looking for recommendations. I know there have been posts here about milling but I’m wanting up to date options. I’m not looking to spend Langdon money but don’t want cheap quality either.

ndmiller
12-02-23, 16:17
You'll need the comp from John Wick now. I went down this rabbit hole in a similar way, just paying it forward.

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/photopacks/john-wick-hk-p30l-pistol-review-sept-2023_481323/481327_john-wick-hkp30l-04_hero_1200x800.jpg

Waylander
12-02-23, 17:24
You'll need the comp from John Wick now. I went down this rabbit hole in a similar way, just paying it forward.

https://content.osgnetworks.tv/photopacks/john-wick-hk-p30l-pistol-review-sept-2023_481323/481327_john-wick-hkp30l-04_hero_1200x800.jpg

I’ve always thought that thing is a little over the top. I don’t know, maybe if I get bored with it. :D

How much of a difference does it make?

ndmiller
12-03-23, 10:51
Oh it's ridiculous for sure, just a cool rabbit hole of firearm pop culture to go down. Adds inches and weight at the muzzle but is mostly a fun range accessory, a blast chamber rather than a real comp. Accentuates the blast so somewhat louder but muzzle flip without wasn't an issue so with seems about the same.

The P30L in the config you bought, which I have is just plain amazing and a more modern interoperation of the USP I loved when it came out (although it was a brick).

Waylander
12-03-23, 16:54
My first HK was a USP9 but I was dumb and had to have the new hotness P2000 in .40. I got rid of that one and ended up with the USP40 which is kind of a paper weight right now. Then I got a VP9 but never warmed up to it.

Pappabear
12-03-23, 18:00
I have a P30L but mine is in DASA. I sent a P30 L LEM to Langdon but there are cheaper options. I consider the P30 handguns to be the ultimate in reliability and their mags are a big part of that equation. I think the P30's take training to shoot as well as the VP9's, but they are the top of the chart in many other respects.

PB

Waylander
12-04-23, 01:39
Yeah the USP, P2000, HK45 and P30 seem bomb proof. Plus I’m in a mood for a hammer fired gun over a striker. I already expected it to take more training but I’m fine with that.

markm
12-04-23, 07:37
I’ve always thought that thing is a little over the top. I don’t know, maybe if I get bored with it. :D

Who makes that thing?

1986s4
12-04-23, 07:51
I have a USP 9 and a P-30 9mm. The USP gets primary duty as the "short" in my 2 gun set up. The P-30 is back in the factory case waiting to be sold. Nothing wrong with the P-30, I just like the USP better.

Pappabear
12-05-23, 20:00
Who makes that thing?

HK parts I think. I have a hard core HK shooter that does matches each week with HK’S. Said he was going to do one. Sumpin for everybody.
PB

markm
12-06-23, 07:41
HK parts I think. I have a hard core HK shooter that does matches each week with HK’S. Said he was going to do one. Sumpin for everybody.
PB

I bet it's only impact it from the extra weight. But it's kind of a cool hollywood looking gizmo. I've always like the cool look of comped guns even though most of the time they're just trouble.

HKGuns
12-06-23, 07:58
PB

You mean one of these guys? Does he bring his gold case to the matches so he can carefully lift his pistols out?

https://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/john-wick-gun-safe-gold-coins.jpg

Pappabear
12-11-23, 20:32
HK,

He is a good dude. He don’t need no stinking gold case that he needs a jack hammer to source. He didn’t lose his dog either. :)

PB

jesuvuah
12-13-23, 12:09
I just picked up a new p2000 in 40. It was on sale for $500 with a debate for 4 extra mags. I typically go with 9mm over 40, but this was too hard to turn down.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Waylander
12-17-23, 01:41
This thing has a long take up and reset but I knew that going in. Plus there are some fixes for it. There’s crazy clean break with no creep. Much smoother than a striker fired trigger.

Pappabear
12-17-23, 07:34
If your handy the short reset is a massive improvement. And yes there are grey gun triggers etc.

Glad it’s working out.

PB

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-17-23, 20:50
I just ordered a P2000 (I can't believe I haven't had one in 10 plus years). Next I think I want a p30L with light LEM

Waylander
12-17-23, 22:18
If your handy the short reset is a massive improvement. And yes there are grey gun triggers etc.

Glad it’s working out.

PB

I’ve swapped parts on my USP and it wasn’t that bad. I know the P series aren’t exactly the same but similar. I’ll just shoot it for a while and see how fast I can get before I do much.

The HK LEM 4.1 CDA swap is supposed to take about 1/3 off the initial trigger take up so it’s practically a no-brainer. I’m not sure why HK doesn’t offer it from the factory here like they do in Europe other than they’re HK and they hate us. :D

ETA:
I forgot the European LEM CDA comes with the redundant decocker and spurred hammer.

Pappabear
12-19-23, 13:00
There is no figuring out HK, you gotta just take what they give and know they are HK. Not ideal but good gear. The one thing that HK did actually do to help consumers, ( and help themself ) is make their P30 line use the same mags as their VP9 line. I love that shit big time.
The P30SK, P30, P30L , VP9SK, VP9, VPL and VPmatch all accept the same mags. Along with their trigger variants. With Sig that would be 5-10 different mags. And so many other makers.

The make the best mags so why reinvent.

PB

jesuvuah
12-19-23, 13:21
There is no figuring out HK, you gotta just take what they give and know they are HK. Not ideal but good gear. The one thing that HK did actually do to help consumers, ( and help themself ) is make their P30 line use the same mags as their VP9 line. I love that shit big time.
The P30SK, P30, P30L , VP9SK, VP9, VPL and VPmatch all accept the same mags. Along with their trigger variants. With Sig that would be 5-10 different mags. And so many other makers.

The make the best mags so why reinvent.

PBThe p2000, and p2000sk can also use there mags, along with the uspc I believe

nick84
12-19-23, 20:25
The p2000, and p2000sk can also use there mags, along with the uspc I believe

Correct. The USPc and P2000 series use the same magazines. These pistols will also accept the P30/VP9 magazines. So if you've gotten a VP9 with a pile of mags on rebate, its likely that all your 9/.40 HK guns can be fed.

Waylander
12-21-23, 11:13
I’m seeing some people say you need to shoot 124 NATO in the P30 to break them in. Is that true?

SuperOmega
12-21-23, 11:21
Correct, one box of full power ammunition. USP and P30 in 9mm.

ndmiller
12-21-23, 11:40
Back when the UPS 9 came out, Hirtenberger 110gr Flat Point was flooding the market when I lived in Florida. HOT Stuff not meant for handguns, but HK/Glock/Kahr said it was fine with more frequent recoil spring changes. I broke in my USP 9 tack driver on that stuff, ridiculous I know but it was so cheap. Oh to be young and risk life and limb for the fun of it.

Waylander
12-21-23, 12:09
Will 147 loaded warm work?

Defaultmp3
12-21-23, 14:05
I’m seeing some people say you need to shoot 124 NATO in the P30 to break them in. Is that true?No, it's not. The recoil spring does come a bit stiff from the factory, but the whole insistence that it has to be 9mm 124 gr NATO is bullshit (NATO specs don't even call that it has to be 124 gr). Any decent load that's not 115 gr plinking bunny fart or some competition load that barely makes minor will be fine.

markm
12-21-23, 14:54
No, it's not. The recoil spring does come a bit stiff from the factory, but the whole insistence that it has to be 9mm 124 gr NATO is bullshit (NATO specs don't even call that it has to be 124 gr). Any decent load that's not 115 gr plinking bunny fart or some competition load that barely makes minor will be fine.

And as I remember it, the NATO stuff was never THAT hot of a load anyway. I had some of it boxed in the Ranger/Winchester packaging.

SteyrAUG
12-21-23, 23:48
I’m seeing some people say you need to shoot 124 NATO in the P30 to break them in. Is that true?

I have a P30S and that is absolute BS. No break in needed. It's an HK not a special weapons clone. I wonder if some of those folks simply didn't clean their shit first.

Waylander
12-22-23, 03:48
That’s interesting but good to know. Now I seem to remember people saying the same about needing to break in the VP9. I never had any issues with mine.

Pappabear
12-22-23, 09:04
I think that gun survived a 90,000 round torture test, or something like that craziness. My HK's have never failed me, even ammo related, no issues ever. I have said it a hundred times, but HK makes the best magazines and is part off their awesomeness.

PB

SteyrAUG
12-22-23, 15:17
That’s interesting but good to know. Now I seem to remember people saying the same about needing to break in the VP9. I never had any issues with mine.

I'm willing to bet in 90% of these cases people believe that the protective oily film on new guns is lubricant. They don't know you need to clean that crap off and give the gun a basic lube.

HKGuns
12-22-23, 16:11
I think that gun survived a 90,000 round torture test, or something like that craziness. My HK's have never failed me, even ammo related, no issues ever. I have said it a hundred times, but HK makes the best magazines and is part off their awesomeness.

PB

Agreed on all counts. Mine are flawless as well.

Adrenaline_6
12-22-23, 20:03
Just shot my P30 today. Went back and forth between it and a VP9sk. It's been awhile since I shot them side by side and as good as the VP9 trigger is, I gotta say that I would rather have the P30 with the short reset gray guns trigger and a couple thousand rounds through it. Yes it is a longer pull, but man is it just butter and a clean break.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-23, 00:30
I remember seeing MAC claim that the VP9 and P30 were super unreliable on Hank Strange's podcast. It was my one millionth confirmation that MAC is a friggin' idiot.

Pappabear
12-25-23, 10:58
I remember seeing MAC claim that the VP9 and P30 were super unreliable on Hank Strange's podcast. It was my one millionth confirmation that MAC is a friggin' idiot.

wow, I didn't know he was an idiot, know now.

PB

Waylander
12-25-23, 14:23
MAC is one of those people who knows a lot but is still ignorant on some things. He thinks he knows it all and tries to prove it.

Waylander
12-25-23, 14:26
I had my first outing yesterday and I’m actually more impressed than I thought I’d be. I ran about 100 rounds through it and it was flawless.

I was expecting it to have more muzzle flip than my CZ P10 but it’s actually better and smoother. Probably due to the recoil buffer and such.

Pappabear
12-25-23, 21:15
Glad you gave yourself a Merry Christmas outing with some HK action. Just such nice guns.

PB

Waylander
12-26-23, 13:07
Thanks. I’ve been missing the HK quality for a while.

Waylander
12-26-23, 13:13
I got the basic sights and want some better ones. I don’t necessarily need night sights but there are a lot more options that way.

I’ve narrowed it down to Mepro, Trijicon HD, Heine, and Wilson/Vickers.

Mepro

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/da354fead24c891a86387ede0cd15571.jpg

Trijicon
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/f2862b4bdc5dddf03e436e1b63d7c24b.jpg

Heine
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/4c2b5405792a8f1e3d6f01669ffc51ef.jpg

Wilson

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/5d82789fa74a00a3826cfa139e13169a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/66e59af204a8e14806bd5e0fbe17e0a0.jpg

jesuvuah
12-26-23, 13:51
I got the basic sights and want some better ones. I don’t necessarily need night sights but there are a lot more options that way.

Mepro

Trijicon

Heine

Wilson

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/66e59af204a8e14806bd5e0fbe17e0a0.jpgI prefer the trijicon HD sights with the yellow outline. I have tried the mepros on a different make of gun and the color is very dull.

Waylander
12-26-23, 17:01
Do the Trijicon HD XR affect POA/POI? I’d prefer a center mass hold versus the combat/cover-up hold of the typical HK sights.

ndmiller
12-27-23, 08:02
I think LPA makes adjustable sights with fiber optic inserts as well, although I haven't personally used.

Pappabear
01-01-24, 00:16
Sights are really personal and eye sight dependent. I like the Heine and Trijicon sights. And what your training to get done. I ran several Trijicon’s on my HK’s.

PB

1986s4
01-01-24, 07:05
I really like the Trijicon HD's. I even have a HD front on my Colt Government. They're not precision target sights, if that's what you're looking for, but I can hit a full size IPSC steel at 50 meters with those sights installed.

SteyrAUG
01-09-24, 22:55

I'd really like to know his basis for that statement. I've kinda known him online since 1999 going back to the days of HK91.com and most of the time he's been on the mark. I know in some of his early vids he gave low marks to some "fan favorite" guns but they really did fail on him on camera, especially that one winter conditions video he did way back. But I've always seen him attempt to be objective, I know lately he's done troll videos like "Why the HK91 sucks" but it ends up being the same "it's not an AR and I don't like the safety and it doesn't have a bolt hold open" nonsense other people spout off, when it fact it's clear that he likes the HK91 and understands how to run that platform effectively.

So I've seen him do that sorta nonsense for clicks and he's working for clicks these days. But I'd really like to hear him support his statement for the VP9 and P30. I'm not crazy about the VP9 because it's little more than HKs version of the Glock and I'm not crazy about striker fired systems, but I know they work. The only P30 I don't like are LEM versions but I know people who are used to them and do well with them. It sorta hurts to admit but in many ways the P30 is superior to the USP but that is to be expected because they could take the existing USP and refine and improve it.

Ed L.
01-10-24, 01:17
I'd really like to know his basis for that statement.

He decided that that the VP9 was not sturdy enough because it failed to function after he stomped it into a mud puddle :rolleyes:. I think he had an agenda. I like the VP9 and find that I can shoot it more accurately than just about any gun that I own, and it fits my hand very well. A Glock is like holding a 2x4 in comparison to this gun. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the striker channel is open to allow the striker to serve as a cocked gun indicator. To me this seems like a way to introduce foreign matter into the striker channel:
https://www.swatmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Rear-of-VP9s-slide-showing-cocked-striker-indicator-275x300.jpg

P30L above a VP9:

https://www.swatmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/HK-P30L-top-and-VP9-bottom-661x1024.jpg

Link to an article I wrote on the VP9 that appeared in SWAT Magazine: https://www.swatmag.com/article/heckler-and-koch-hk-vp9/

Changes that I had made to my P30, P30L, and HK45:

1. I sent them to Gray Guns and Lazy Wolf guns to have groove or trough in the floor of the trigger guard removed because it tended to pinch my finger during recoil. Not everyone has this problem, but it is enough of an issue that both gunsmithing companies specifically list this service. I do not have the problem with the VP9 because backstrap is a bit higher and deeper, allowing me to grip the gun further up.

2. I had the trigger reset of the P30, the P30L, and the HK45, and HK45C reduced by the above mentioned gunsmiths. All of these guns have a long trigger reset in comparison to many of the other guns that I shoot and I found myself sometimes not letting the trigger out enough to reset after firing a round. It only happened once in a while, but I would rather have it not happen at all with a handgun that I might use for home defense.

SteyrAUG
01-10-24, 23:40
He decided that that the VP9 was not sturdy enough because it failed to function after he stomped it into a mud puddle :rolleyes:. I think he had an agenda. I like the VP9 and find that I can shoot it more accurately than just about any gun that I own, and it fits my hand very well. A Glock is like holding a 2x4 in comparison to this gun. The only thing I do not like is the fact that the striker channel is open to allow the striker to serve as a cocked gun indicator. To me this seems like a way to introduce foreign matter into the striker channel:
https://www.swatmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Rear-of-VP9s-slide-showing-cocked-striker-indicator-275x300.jpg

That's kind of dumb. I can probably get 90% of all handguns made to fail under the right circumstances, it doesn't really make them unreliable. I can also conduct goober tests on YT like running something over on a dirt road with my truck (which usually won't do a damn thing) and make even garbage guns seem reliable.

But people who click links tend not to be critical thinkers and think "Wow, he threw that glock out of an airplane window into a field and it still works....MOST RELIABEL GUN EVAR111111111111" when it's really not. There are many real world factors that are more likely to choke a firearm.

Glocks might have the ergos of a brick, but they are sorta bombproof. I'll always own a 19 but it won't be my regular carry because there are 8 guns that I shoot much, much better with. HKs and Sigs have the rep they have for a reason and it isn't just marketing.

I'm probably not fast enough to need my P30 trigger reset done, that or I've shot so many Beretta's that the P30 is a dream gun compared to that trigger and I don't notice.

Waylander
01-11-24, 00:57
Meh. Some people decide a gun is a POS if it won’t shoot their cheapo plinking ammo reliably. It’s no surprise the “gauntlet” tests and similar get a lot of clicks. I use the term “tests” very loosely.

I know he also did the tests on a USP 45 which passed but can’t find one of him testing the P30.

SteyrAUG
01-11-24, 04:28
Meh. Some people decide a gun is a POS if it won’t shoot their cheapo plinking ammo reliably. It’s no surprise the “gauntlet” tests and similar get a lot of clicks. I use the term “tests” very loosely.

I know he also did the tests on a USP 45 which passed but can’t find one of him testing the P30.

On this stuff I tend to defer to people like Larry Vickers, who really know what a firearm can and cannot do both from a design and real world application understanding.

I think MAC started out honest and sincere but once you put your opinion of the most popular firearms up, you start to run out of content. You also struggle to not have a standard evaluation platform because YT people have short attention spans. They really want to see you dunk a gun in a bucket of gasoline, light it on fire and throw it in the ocean, then load and shoot it to declare "this gun can go anywhere seals can go."

I really wish I had a higher tolerance for stupid people, I'd have an amazing YT channel.

What is the best "end of the world ammo"?

We submerged these rounds in a bathtub over night and they all fired the next day 100% without failure. This is the ONLY survivalist ammo we recommend.

Never mind that NSW swims with loaded mags all the damn time and most ammo is waterproof.

vandal5
01-11-24, 16:56

Mepro

Trijicon

Heine

Wilson

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231226/66e59af204a8e14806bd5e0fbe17e0a0.jpg

XS also makes sights for HKs, they are even coming as OEM on some slides such as the VP9 OR that I bought.

https://xssights.com/products/sights/handgun-sights/hk/

Pappabear
01-11-24, 17:22
I just took my P30L to the range and enjoyed myself. The DA keeps you honest and practicing it makes you better IMHO. I had a Red dot so not much help with irons.

PB

SteyrAUG
01-11-24, 20:05
The DA keeps you honest and practicing it makes you better IMHO.

PB

I really think the time I spent learning combat magnum revolvers made me able to shoot anything. USPs and SIGs are easy for me, I've met so many people who cannot shoot anything that isn't a SA striker fired and most of them are getting custom triggers.

HKGuns
01-11-24, 21:12
I really think the time I spent learning combat magnum revolvers made me able to shoot anything. USPs and SIGs are easy for me, I've met so many people who cannot shoot anything that isn't a SA striker fired and most of them are getting custom triggers.

Yep, it teaches you adaptability. I don't have a custom trigger in any of my pistols and while I don't own a VP70, I have a couple that aren't perfect. Shooting a DA revolver well will train you to shoot anything well. I still like my 1911 triggers, but can shoot any of my pistols as well as the others without thinking about it much.

If you don't like your trigger, it just might be you.

WickedWillis
01-12-24, 10:13

I hate HK parts for these faux John Wick weights and "Comps" so damn much

WickedWillis
01-12-24, 10:16

I have a P30 and P30L and as others have said, this is untrue.

Waylander
01-14-24, 03:05
115 grain pills over 5.2 CFE Pistol worked nicely. That’s not too hot.

Adrenaline_6
01-15-24, 08:58
I have a P30 and P30L and as others have said, this is untrue.

I've heard of some people having problems. Maybe a combo of light loads plus limp wristing for the first few hundred rounds might cause some problems. My P30 shot Blazer Brass right off the bat, no problems. I did leave the slide locked back for a few days before shooting and cleaned the factory crap out of the gun and lubed it up. I think that is what most people that have problems in the beginning don't do.

Pappabear
01-15-24, 09:39
Yea maybe it is factory lube with weak loads. I only had two guns that required a break in period. It took me so long to trust those guns. Shit it was one of my first guns so I could have been the nut behind the trigger.

PB

SteyrAUG
01-15-24, 11:05
Yea maybe it is factory lube with weak loads. I only had two guns that required a break in period. It took me so long to trust those guns. Shit it was one of my first guns so I could have been the nut behind the trigger.

PB

That oily stuff on your gun from the factory isn't lube. It's a protectant and it needs to be cleaned OFF and the gun then lubed.

Pappabear
01-15-24, 18:24
delete

DCB
01-30-24, 01:50
That oily stuff on your gun from the factory isn't lube. It's a protectant and it needs to be cleaned OFF and the gun then lubed.

Where are you seeing this information?

SteyrAUG
01-30-24, 02:59
Where are you seeing this information?

Does the operating manual say "strip and clean your firearm"?

How do you imagine they keep standing inventory of firearms in warehouses, potentially for years, without maintenance?

DCB
01-30-24, 03:24
Does the operating manual say "strip and clean your firearm"?

How do you imagine they keep standing inventory of firearms in warehouses, potentially for years, without maintenance?

I’m trying to discern where you learned what HK coats their firearms with post assembly, and how you obtained that information.

pag23
01-30-24, 03:38
I’m trying to discern where you learned what HK coats their firearms with post assembly, and how you obtained that information.

It is most likely some version of cosmoline....all my new HKs came with some type of this on the internals.

1986s4
01-30-24, 07:03
On this stuff I tend to defer to people like Larry Vickers, who really know what a firearm can and cannot do both from a design and real world application understanding.

I think MAC started out honest and sincere but once you put your opinion of the most popular firearms up, you start to run out of content. You also struggle to not have a standard evaluation platform because YT people have short attention spans. They really want to see you dunk a gun in a bucket of gasoline, light it on fire and throw it in the ocean, then load and shoot it to declare "this gun can go anywhere seals can go."

I really wish I had a higher tolerance for stupid people, I'd have an amazing YT channel.

What is the best "end of the world ammo"?

We submerged these rounds in a bathtub over night and they all fired the next day 100% without failure. This is the ONLY survivalist ammo we recommend.

Never mind that NSW swims with loaded mags all the damn time and most ammo is waterproof.

I take these "tests" with a grain of salt. Seriously, if one expects that one's pistol might fall out of the holster into the mud please get a L2 retention holster at least. There's a reason the MIL uses a flap holster. I want the most reliable pistol I can get but I also expect to take care of it as well. I saw the MAC test of the USP and to my satisfaction it did pass, which is cool since I have a USP too. I also have a Beretta 92 and a Colt 1911 as well as several revolvers. I know these pistols are unlikely to pass any such tests but used responsibly they are reliable. All of the unreliable Glocks, 1911's, etc., that I have seen in the various competitions I've attended were "tuned" versions using weak ammo. I went on such a journey with my Colt .38 super. I ended up with a pistol that just barely worked and suffered a case head detonation. My lesson; use full power springs capable of cycling through the gunk and use full power ammo capable of cycling those springs. I use a retention holster exclusively, even during rather sedate IDPA competitions. I've seen guys ejected for losing their pistols while moving too many times.
I still enjoy the extreme "tests" for their entertainment value and there are some more realistic tests out there.

Waylander
02-10-24, 17:05
I installed the three LEM CDA 4.1 parts and the trigger sits back a good distance right inside the trigger trough. Almost like it’s meant to be. I also went ahead and installed the match flat sear spring and Mepro sights. The trigger still breaks right above 6 1/4 pounds and is smooth so I’m happy. I haven’t shot a lot of rounds so I’m sure it will lighten more.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240210/f4e7e3a398daecf8e7605f65368704e5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240210/0f309cfe430c7bd21cd24ab7c2652069.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240210/9eff735afcf6a0e87afd3695b3381314.jpg

SteyrAUG
02-11-24, 00:14
I take these "tests" with a grain of salt. Seriously, if one expects that one's pistol might fall out of the holster into the mud please get a L2 retention holster at least. There's a reason the MIL uses a flap holster. I want the most reliable pistol I can get but I also expect to take care of it as well. I saw the MAC test of the USP and to my satisfaction it did pass, which is cool since I have a USP too. I also have a Beretta 92 and a Colt 1911 as well as several revolvers. I know these pistols are unlikely to pass any such tests but used responsibly they are reliable. All of the unreliable Glocks, 1911's, etc., that I have seen in the various competitions I've attended were "tuned" versions using weak ammo. I went on such a journey with my Colt .38 super. I ended up with a pistol that just barely worked and suffered a case head detonation. My lesson; use full power springs capable of cycling through the gunk and use full power ammo capable of cycling those springs. I use a retention holster exclusively, even during rather sedate IDPA competitions. I've seen guys ejected for losing their pistols while moving too many times.
I still enjoy the extreme "tests" for their entertainment value and there are some more realistic tests out there.

Pretty sure I can't find an argument in any of that. I have never experienced a quality (and I don't mean expensive, I mean well made) handgun failure that I can remember. And the vast majority of failures I've seen ultimately came from crappy cheapo mags, amazingly shitty ammo (and I mean using stuff 20 years old from countries you can't find on a map) and my all time favorite aftermarket parts or excessive customizing.

I've seen guys take a perfectly fine 1911 series 70 and "tune" it to the point where it will only feed and cycle their hand loads, nothing else. I understand when experts create a race gun and when Jerry does it I do believe it's done so the gun can keep up with Jerry, but when ordinary shooters build a race gun when they should be building fundamentals, it usually leads to failures on many levels. It's always funny to me when they blame the gun.

Watching guys who have only been shooting 2 years talk about split times, best times is a lot like listening to the guys at the gym talk about how they'd have fought whoever won the UFC last month differently and what they'd have done to be the winner.

ggp2jz
03-25-24, 11:32

That isn’t the JW compensator. This is the JW one
https://wicked-compensator.myshopify.com/products/wicked-compensator-1