PDA

View Full Version : Another KAC thread, what parts are truly proprietary?

Pappabear
12-05-23, 18:26
I know there is a lot of concern about proprietary parts of SR-15’S. I know they have a unique BCG, but you can use a Colt BCG in a pinch. I know their gas tube is longer than a traditional middy, maybe not a replacement there.

I see there is another KAC thread but didn’t want to hijack it. I own an SR-15 and have zero regrets. If it goes down, yea I probably got a spare quality AR to run. And if it has to sit waiting on KAC to make good, I’ll be fine. If they never make good, I’ll, be fine.

But what parts are 100% unique to a SR-15 and you couldn’t replace. If my rail took a shit, could I put another rail on? I’m just curious, not concerned. I had an older SR-15 and ran the shit out of it. Never a problem. I did add an A5 buffer. People that take out that trigger and put in a Geissele must really like a Geissele.

I will say it’s pretty hard to lose money buying KAC. EVERYTHING I have bought has increased in value by stupids amounts. Granted I don’t have a lot, but I made a small fortune on my bipods that I didn’t like. My can I bought for $1,200 ( talked SGC down $200 saying these prices are crazy) is worth a small condo. My SR25 mag stash is another 401K.

Edumacate a fellows about proprietary.

PB

Disciple
12-05-23, 18:54
I will say it’s pretty hard to lose money buying KAC. EVERYTHING I have bought has increased in value by stupids amounts. Granted I don’t have a lot, but I made a small fortune on my bipods that I didn’t like. My can I bought for $1,200 ( talked SGC down $200 saying these prices are crazy) is worth a small condo. My SR25 mag stash is another 401K.

It's great that worked out for you, but remember tulip bulbs. No doubt people have become rich on crazier things (NFTs) but at some point valuation has to snap back to reality. Someone buying now may indeed profit, but then again...

ryanm
12-06-23, 11:06
Bolt and extractor, Barrel, Gas Tube on sr15. Colt carrier might work but the bolt will not. From there it depends. URX3 you need their proprietary wrench to remove. URX4 you will need a shim kit if you mess with it. The newer lowers might take any trigger/safety/buffer retainer/take down pins but the ambi parts are unique to all of the ambi manufacturers.

Stickman
12-08-23, 11:36
Parts have already been named, so I won't list them again, but if you notice, none of those are parts that really tend to wear out with the SR15 system. Its not like we have seen many (meaning zero) KAC bolts fail, and I had thought there were aftermarket companies making the KAC gas tube.

I'm just waiting for you to figure out what you want to trade for your FDE KAC SR15....

Pappabear
12-08-23, 15:05
Parts have already been named, so I won't list them again, but if you notice, none of those are parts that really tend to wear out with the SR15 system. Its not like we have seen many (meaning zero) KAC bolts fail, and I had thought there were aftermarket companies making the KAC gas tube.

I'm just waiting for you to figure out what you want to trade for your FDE KAC SR15....

Confession. My buddy who is a collector and sold me the gun because he wouldn’t shoot it. So I bought and shot it weekly. He then pleaded to trade him for a new SR15 Mod2 and a nice handgun. He loves collectibles so I agreed. Now I have a spanking new SR15 to beat up. If it wasn’t my buddy I would have said fck off. It hurt Marks soul too. LOL.

I did grab one of those SR15 field repair kits from operation parts. The proprietary part deal seems way over blown to me. But everyone has to spend money on what floats their boat.

I’m just glad I don’t have a pit bull or Rapter truck. Thems fighting words.

Now I just got an 11.5 upper for Xmas that I’ll mate with one of those stripped KAC lowers built out. Not full Ambi but has SSA , A5 etc. I’m excited to try that upper suppressed.

Marry Christmas Stick.

PB

Pappabear
12-08-23, 15:09
Duplicate

BufordTJustice
12-08-23, 20:16
Honestly, it's just the barrel, gas block, gas block castle nut, and gas tube.

You can swap everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRX85
12-08-23, 22:28
Bolt carrier is the same as any ar 15

The entire bolt, firing pin, and cam pin are proprietary.

The barrel extension is proprietary.

The gas tube and gas block are proprietary on mod 2 rifles.

Everything on the lower is normal aside from the ambi mag release and ambi bolt release.

Upper receiver is normal.

Rails are typically a pain to install/remove, but can be swapped on to other guns assuming you have the correct tools.

That’s it.

BufordTJustice
12-08-23, 23:36
Bolt carrier is the same as any ar 15

The entire bolt, firing pin, and cam pin are proprietary.

The barrel extension is proprietary.

The gas tube and gas block are proprietary on mod 2 rifles.

Everything on the lower is normal aside from the ambi mag release and ambi bolt release.

Upper receiver is normal.

Rails are typically a pain to install/remove, but can be swapped on to other guns assuming you have the correct tools.

That’s it.

Correct. Barrel as well. The gas block has an indexing protrusion and the barrel has an indexing notch.

TMS951
12-09-23, 15:07
At some point I feel like the upper is the replacement part.

Maybe extractor and some springs. I had a small parts kit from operation parts for my upper. I replaced when I replaced the gas tube figuring it was as good a time as any.

So use those parts half life and by the time you need them again junk the whole thing. Maybe a rail does not “ware” but it does. It takes a beating and so do attachment points.

I mean you’ve got KAC money right? Wear it out buy a new one. As many people point out it takes $$$$ in ammo to ware out an upper. Like 5-10 grand these days to ware out a KAC. Also for perspective is a 2000$ upper that much if you’ve another 5000$ of stuff bolted to it?

Pappabear
12-09-23, 17:04
Good points. I rotate my Colts, LMT’s and BCM’s so much. I’m hard pressed to wear shit out. I’ll kill one of my MWS’s out before my KAC rifles in all likelihood. But as you say. It’s all disposable and last more than most peoples vehicles and cost less. So it’s all good.

Merry Christmas

PB

Stickman
12-13-23, 11:09
Good points. I rotate my Colts, LMT’s and BCM’s so much. I’m hard pressed to wear shit out. I’ll kill one of my MWS’s out before my KAC rifles in all likelihood. But as you say. It’s all disposable and last more than most peoples vehicles and cost less. So it’s all good.

Merry Christmas

PB

Same thing here. Once upon a time my range Sgt allowed his instructors to shoot as much ammo as they wanted (rifle or pistol), as often as they wanted. Sadly, a new Sgt took that away under the guise of saving money. However, he was actually a political suck up, and when I showed how we could double out rifle ammo AND save money... he took the idea and bought the same amount of ammo and gave the rest of the money back to the city that "he saved".

Screwing over everyone on the department evidently paid off, as he did get promoted shortly after. To be fair, that seems par for the course when it comes to scumbag politicians with badges.

Rant over.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

BufordTJustice
12-14-23, 08:49
Same thing here. Once upon a time my range Sgt allowed his instructors to shoot as much ammo as they wanted (rifle or pistol), as often as they wanted. Sadly, a new Sgt took that away under the guise of saving money. However, he was actually a political suck up, and when I showed how we could double out rifle ammo AND save money... he took the idea and bought the same amount of ammo and gave the rest of the money back to the city that "he saved".

Screwing over everyone on the department evidently paid off, as he did get promoted shortly after. To be fair, that seems par for the course when it comes to scumbag politicians with badges.

Rant over.

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Both the Sheriff's I worked for did things exactly like that.

Failure2Stop
12-15-23, 11:07
Just an FYI, we will be releasing our new model lines at SHOT, though the details about them is already kind of out in the public sphere at this point.

Two things to consider with the new line are related to the new handguard.
We transitioned away from the URX4, which featured an integral barrel nut, but required shimming to time the handguard at proper torque, and thread adhesive to keep it from loosening.
The new handguard (URX6) uses a more traditional barrel nut along with a handguard retainer nut, uses standard moly grease for assembly, but requires a notched upper for the anti-rotation tab of the handguard.
So that does mean that you will need a specific tool for handguard removal.

Pappabear
12-15-23, 13:02
Thanks Jack. What about releasing some cans ???

PB

Stickman
12-15-23, 13:07

PB

I use that line with my wife all the time, and it never works. Just a PSA for any kids considering marriage.

BufordTJustice
12-15-23, 13:30
I use that line with my wife all the time, and it never works. Just a PSA for any kids considering marriage.

AHAHAHA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
12-15-23, 13:30
Just an FYI, we will be releasing our new model lines at SHOT, though the details about them is already kind of out in the public sphere at this point.

We transitioned away from the URX4, which featured an integral barrel nut, but required shimming to time the handguard at proper torque, and thread adhesive to keep it from loosening.
The new handguard (URX6) uses a more traditional barrel nut along with a handguard retainer nut, uses standard moly grease for assembly, but requires a notched upper for the anti-rotation tab of the handguard.

Excited to see it, Jack.

Congrats on the UK MOD contract, btw. Huge win. Well earned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pappabear
12-15-23, 14:14

That one took me a minute, LOL

PB

ryanm
12-15-23, 23:05
great to hear on URX6!!!

nick84
12-20-23, 17:21

Am I reading this correctly then, that I will not be able to replace a URX4 handguard with a new URX6?

Or I will be able to, I just need new tools?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Failure2Stop
12-21-23, 08:57
Excited to see it, Jack.

Congrats on the UK MOD contract, btw. Huge win. Well earned.

Thanks man, appreciate it. The guns that resulted from that requirement set are the best small frame rifles we have ever made.

Am I reading this correctly then, that I will not be able to replace a URX4 handguard with a new URX6?
Or I will be able to, I just need new tools?
Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Depends on if your upper has a notch or not.
If the notch is present (we started using notched uppers around a year ago in preparation), you can pop off the 4 and install the 6.
If you have a traditional upper with no notch on the first recoil lug of the top rail, the upper would need to be replaced with a notched version, which will be available for that purpose.
Yes, there is a URX6 specific tool for the barrel nut and handguard retainer.

They are shipping out daily, and a new model will be "officially" released at SHOT.
We are gearing up for high volume production of the entire line. Any KAC dealer/distributor has access to them, they just need to drop a PO.