PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an M4gery without rails and with a carry handle?

ABNAK
12-09-23, 18:45
Like M4 plastic handguards and a detachable carry handle. Plain-Jane style. No rails, BUIS, red dots/ACOGS, etc.

I know the trend for years has been to "soup it up", and I am guilty as charged. Was thinking of putting one back into a basic, no-frills condition. It's a flattop so no fixed carry handle, would use a detachable one.

Sometimes buck-ass simple is appealing.

Pappabear
12-09-23, 19:26
I had one on a RRA lower, then we found some of those knock off KAC rails and bought a couple. Then some guy sold me a Romeo5 with Unity mount for around $150, which is the cost of the mount so there went that plain Jane deal. Had it plain Jane for a while.

Next project is I am getting a Colt 10.3 plain Jane and I am going to keep carry handle for a while, at least. But I do plan to put B&T 4X NAR Diemaco C8 hand guard ( KAC wanna be) but no can and no dot for a minute. I think the carry handle is a very cool deal.

Shoot my buddies Colt 6920 with carry handle last week out to 500 and loved it. I sold him the gun and I regretted that one. It was one of the old 6920 Law Enforcement with carry handle & side carry swivel. It was the perfect plain Jane carry handle gun.

PB

ABNAK
12-09-23, 19:41
I had one on a RRA lower, then we found some of those knock off KAC rails and bought a couple. Then some guy sold me a Romeo5 with Unity mount for around $150, which is the cost of the mount so there went that plain Jane deal.

Yes, that disease is VERY widespread evidently! :cool: It can eat at your wallet like a cancer. I'm contemplating going backwards with "enhancements"!

ryanm
12-09-23, 19:41
have a carry handle 6920, considering a PSA 723!

titsonritz
12-09-23, 19:57
I have a couple flat tops with carry handles but would like to pick up an A1.

ABNAK
12-09-23, 20:01
have a carry handle 6920, considering a PSA 723!

I looked at that PSA you mentioned and maybe it was the angle or such of the pics but those handguards looked like they were in-between a carbine and an M4 thick one (?). I kinda liked it!

Maybe it's just my declining vision!: https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-723-style-carbine-5-56mm-rifle-black.html

SteyrAUG
12-09-23, 20:24
Like M4 plastic handguards and a detachable carry handle. Plain-Jane style. No rails, BUIS, red dots/ACOGS, etc.

I know the trend for years has been to "soup it up", and I am guilty as charged. Was thinking of putting one back into a basic, no-frills condition. It's a flattop so no fixed carry handle, would use a detachable one.

I do, I have a 2004 vintage Colt 6920 and the only thing I added was a sling.

HKGuns
12-09-23, 21:01
Does this count?

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3390156138-5.jpg

ABNAK
12-09-23, 21:19
Does this count?

Absolutely. It doesn't have to mean 100% adherence to a Colt Model XXX or XXX.

Johnny Rico
12-09-23, 22:37

Sure. Not every rifle has to be jocked up.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51866102639_fd4ca8fd42_c.jpg

ViniVidivici
12-09-23, 22:39
Yes.

I have one PSA upper which I call a "bare bones" upper.

16" FSB, flat top, fixed rear sight cut off from carry handle.

Replaced the M4 handguards with a Magpul MOE, because it fits the hand better, and to put one bit of Pic rail on for mounting a light, when wanted. Painted, of course, like everything else.

Similar in style and setup to what HK Guns posted.

I keep this around to slap on one of the lowers for times when I want a rifle along, but light and simple as possible, like some hikes and camping situations.

Every time I carry it, I'm reminded of what a great, light setup it is.

Send it...
12-09-23, 23:00
Colt 6720 with Carry Handle here. A fast and lite option.

SteyrAUG
12-10-23, 00:59
Sure. Not every rifle has to be jocked up.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51866102639_fd4ca8fd42_c.jpg

I agree, but if I'm running a bare bones carbine, it's a 6520.

https://i.imgur.com/K0U7GTQ.jpg

markm
12-10-23, 07:33
We had a buddy bring out an old 6920 with plastic handguards and carry handle last weekend. We ran it out to 750 yards.

His comment was that he wanted to get a rail and start adding shit to the gun. :D

ABNAK
12-10-23, 08:34
Colt 6720 with Carry Handle here. A fast and lite option.

Someone makes a detachable A1 carry handle. That would look pretty cool on your weapon.

Here is one from Brownells: https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-sights-parts/ar-15-cncguns-a1-detachable-carry-handle-assembly/

I could do without the big-ass knobs on the side, maybe a recessed Allen head screw that runs flush to the side instead of sticking out.

Johnny Rico
12-10-23, 08:56

Lol...nice. Let's just say I don't have the same wide variety of rifles available to me.

titsonritz
12-10-23, 13:12
I was poking around the net on this subject awhile back and came up with this article…

https://ozarkarmament.com/resources/detachable-vs-fixed-carry-handle-for-ar15-weighing-your-choices/

Uncas47
12-10-23, 14:32

Those two are the essence.

Uncas47
12-10-23, 14:37
Ya'll are making me regret cutting down my last two carry handles. As I was cutting the last one I knew I would hate myself later.

DoubleW
12-10-23, 14:59
I have a 6720, 6271, 6920 and an A4 all with plastic Colt M4/A2 handguards and Colt Carry Handles. And for a while I had a BCM 11.5 set up like a Colt Commando with carry handle but it now has a B&T quad rail, SF Scout, KAC micro rear and a Comp M4S in a Geissele mount.

Uncas47
12-10-23, 15:19
Before bedtime, I pledge to peel back one of my M4s, all the way to the issue sling.
Nah, I'm just gonna build another gun, I have too many parts.

SteyrAUG
12-10-23, 17:28
Those two are the essence.

I really wish I had snagged a 6933 when they were still A2 uppers.

ABNAK
12-10-23, 18:05
I was poking around the net on this subject awhile back and came up with this article…

https://ozarkarmament.com/resources/detachable-vs-fixed-carry-handle-for-ar15-weighing-your-choices/

I have to laugh......on a road march during Infantry OSUT at Benning (40 years ago with the M16A1) I recall one recruit having the audacity to actually carry the damn thing by it's carry handle. A Drill Sergeant trotted up and yelled "What do you think that is, a carry handle? A piece of fvcking luggage?" The recruit realized a baited question when he heard one (like "Yeah no shit, it's called a carry handle") and promptly went to port-arms!

sinister
12-10-23, 20:00
I visited a retired cop friend who also happens to be a gun magazine writer and he showed me his old-school Colt 723 (M16A1 carry handle) knock-off, just like the one I was issued as a youngster.

Of course I had to build one since my original duty gun stand-in has long been hot-rodded.

So now I have a copy of the old base Colt 723 I started with nearly forty years ago.

Note the sexy hose-clamped three D-cell MagLite with IR filter before Surefire was a thing:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/sinister_1988_jpg-3055995.JPG

HKGuns
12-10-23, 20:07
Did you hose clamp a MagLight on the new one too?

sinister
12-10-23, 21:27
LOL. No. But I do have one -- I think the wife has it in her car.

Gave my PAQ-4C to my kid to shoot National Guard night combat matches.

indianalex01
12-10-23, 21:37
I have to laugh......on a road march during Infantry OSUT at Benning (40 years ago with the M16A1) I recall one recruit having the audacity to actually carry the damn thing by it's carry handle. A Drill Sergeant trotted up and yelled "What do you think that is, a carry handle? A piece of fvcking luggage?" The recruit realized a baited question when he heard one (like "Yeah no shit, it's called a carry handle") and promptly went to port-arms!

I remember in bootcamp a Marine Recruit carried his A2 by the handle. “What do you think you are doing? This isn’t the Army”. I always thought the Army carried them by the handle.

Caduceus
12-10-23, 21:43
I have an 11.5 inch barrel in a fixed carry handle upper as my "truck" gun. Figured it's as solid an option as there is.

Just the upper. The lower usually rides in a backpack that goes with me, if I carry it. Otherwise I'll sometimes slap it on a different rifle at the range just to keep it alive.

titsonritz
12-10-23, 21:43
Note the sexy hose-clamped three D-cell MagLite with IR filter before Surefire was a thing:

So did you guys get that from the SAS or did the SAS get it from you guys?

Hank6046
12-10-23, 21:51
I visited a retired cop friend who also happens to be a gun magazine writer and he showed me his old-school Colt 723 (M16A1 carry handle) knock-off, just like the one I was issued as a youngster.

Of course I had to build one since my original duty gun stand-in has long been hot-rodded.

So now I have a copy of the old base Colt 723 I started with nearly forty years ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18978/sinister_1988_jpg-3055995.JPG

These are cool as sh*t, and I keep saying I want to build one out like I my dad had in a picture when he was in the AF in the early 80's but I just see this as more of a novelty vs practical application personally. I have a A4 clonish gun which is awesome, but I don't shoot it enough, which I really should.

26 Inf
12-10-23, 23:14
I have three, kinda:

I have one full carrying handle that I switch between them as I desire.

Top - mid-length, A1 stock with BCM QD mount on left side, magpul handguard, K-Z front sight post QD slingattachment/light mount (this is my most shot FSB rifle, general with a Vortex Spitfire Prism mounted instead of the carry handle)

Middle - carbine, A1 stock, magpul handguard, Troy Battlesight, Romeo lower 1/3 RDS.

Bottom - rifle length dissy, A2 stock with BCM QD mount on left side, magpul handguard, Colt side front sling mount.

I'm getting ready to peddle the middle one, I built it several years ago when Green Mountain had the contract overrun M4 barrels on sale, have used it much.

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 00:20
I remember in bootcamp a Marine Recruit carried his A2 by the handle. “What do you think you are doing? This isn’t the Army”. I always thought the Army carried them by the handle.

It's hard to march a bunch of guys in the same direction and have a horizontal firearm and not muzzle sweep a bunch of them.

I remember the first time a person was actually able to explain "there is a right way, a wrong way and the army way of doing things."

I thought it was some kind of deliberate retardation, but then they explained just because you and 30% of the group understand the smarter way...it doesn't do anyone any good if 70% no longer understand and that puts everyone at risk. So the "army way" has to be the "best way possible that the largest number of people can learn, understand and apply."

And that is basically why nobody was allowed to carry the M16A1 by the carry handle. It's already hard enough to get those guys to stop flagging each other when walking with weapons.

ViniVidivici
12-11-23, 00:27
Important aspect of this excercise also, having at least one AR you can mount a bayonet to. It is...the way of things.

WHAT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE BAYONET?!

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 00:29
I have three, kinda:

I have one full carrying handle that I switch between them as I desire.

Top - mid-length, A1 stock with BCM QD mount on left side, magpul handguard, K-Z front sight post QD slingattachment/light mount (this is my most shot FSB rifle, general with a Vortex Spitfire Prism mounted instead of the carry handle)

Middle - carbine, A1 stock, magpul handguard, Troy Battlesight, Romeo lower 1/3 RDS.

Bottom - rifle length dissy, A2 stock with BCM QD mount on left side, magpul handguard, Colt side front sling mount.

I'm getting ready to peddle the middle one, I built it several years ago when Green Mountain had the contract overrun M4 barrels on sale, have used it much.

I really wish there was a way to run something like a Surefire scout without some kind or railed handguard. I know front sight side rails exist and I've used them from time to time, but I really do like to keep my sights less cluttered.

If I could figure a way to run a plain jane carbine with nothing more than a weapon light and a sling, I'd be a happy camper. Sadly I've yet to find a setup that is as fast and natural as a 9 o'clock scout light and a VFG, so until they build a better mousetrap, still running rails on my fighting carbines.

Fortunately Centurion rails are so damn light it's almost an even swap. My 6920 EPR is pretty handy, handles almost the same as my 6945 mono rail SBR. I think when I finally get ahold of a 6933 EPR it's gonna be my new favorite.

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 00:33
Important aspect of this excercise also, having at least one AR you can mount a bayonet to. It is...the way of things.

WHAT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE BAYONET?!

First problem, if you have a 16" barrel that bayo lug means nothing.

Given that most of us are running 16.1, 11.5 or 10.3 it ain't gonna happen. Almost nobody runs a 20" rifle anymore and even fewer are running 14.5" carbines. I have a single 14.5" SBR in my safe.

Now if I was running my SP1 rifle that only weights 6 lbs. absolutely I'd run a bayo on it, but I'd rather have a weapon light.

titsonritz
12-11-23, 01:12
I really wish there was a way to run something like a Surefire scout without some kind or railed handguard. I know front sight side rails exist and I've used them from time to time, but I really do like to keep my sights less cluttered.

If I could figure a way to run a plain jane carbine with nothing more than a weapon light and a sling, I'd be a happy camper. Sadly I've yet to find a setup that is as fast and natural as a 9 o'clock scout light and a VFG, so until they build a better mousetrap, still running rails on my fighting carbines.

Fortunately Centurion rails are so damn light it's almost an even swap. My 6920 EPR is pretty handy, handles almost the same as my 6945 mono rail SBR. I think when I finally get ahold of a 6933 EPR it's gonna be my new favorite.

Check out IWC Mount-N-Slot
https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-scout-light-mount-n-slot/

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 02:39
Check out IWC Mount-N-Slot
https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-scout-light-mount-n-slot/

Thanks but no different than if I added side rails to my front sight post. And then I gotta drill into the double heat guards.

AndyLate
12-11-23, 06:53
First problem, if you have a 16" barrel that bayo lug means nothing.

Given that most of us are running 16.1, 11.5 or 10.3 it ain't gonna happen. Almost nobody runs a 20" rifle anymore and even fewer are running 14.5" carbines. I have a single 14.5" SBR in my safe.

Now if I was running my SP1 rifle that only weights 6 lbs. absolutely I'd run a bayo on it, but I'd rather have a weapon light.

Bayonet fits pretty well on a 16" midlength. I don't own an M16 bayo, but my Dad had the M7 I brought home from Desert Storm and I checked a few years ago.

A "proper" M4gery had a 14.5 inch barrel anyway ;). Mine has a quadrail and a KAC broomstick, so mounting a light is easy enough.

Andy

sinister
12-11-23, 07:05
These are cool as sh*t, and I keep saying I want to build one out like I my dad had in a picture when he was in the AF in the early 80's but I just see this as more of a novelty vs practical application personally.
I want to assure you as a taxpayer, we shot the living dog-snot out our weapons.

At the schoolhouse at Bragg there's a three foot by three foot Lexan cube filled with pistol, carbine, and shotgun empties along with flash-bang spoons and fuse ignitors. A brass plate on the front says "The individual Special Forces Soldier will expend this ammo in training."

Diamondback
12-11-23, 07:30
Thanks but no different than if I added side rails to my front sight post. And then I gotta drill into the double heat guards.

Cadex Carbine Rail. No drilling, screws through the top/bottom vent holes. Canada's lazy-ass solution when they were too cheap to buy real rails from KAC. Combine that with a 45-deg offset mount and no drilling and no icky FSP clutter.

markm
12-11-23, 07:39
I had a 14.5" Colt Fixed Carry Handle upper that I sold several years ago when I was getting divorced. Maybe to someone here. That bad boy had the proof marks and everything. I regret that sale big time.

Uncas47
12-11-23, 08:48

My primary HD carbine has a SF Scout, my primary HD Glock also carries a SF light. My other guns are naked, I like them that way. Walking with my dog on the farm it's not needed. Red dots on the other hand...I need me a red dot.

mack7.62
12-11-23, 10:40
I looked at that PSA you mentioned and maybe it was the angle or such of the pics but those handguards looked like they were in-between a carbine and an M4 thick one (?). I kinda liked it!

Maybe it's just my declining vision!: https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-723-style-carbine-5-56mm-rifle-black.html

I used to run a M4 handguard on the bottom and a CAR on the top, liked the feel and it fit my girlie sized hands better.

HKGuns
12-11-23, 14:37
Ok, I had Colt HG's on order from the Shark and they arrived today. I feel better not having that magpul furniture on the rifle.

How in the hell do you stick someone with a bayo on these 16" barrels? I found one of my bayonets in inventory and it looks silly. Looks like I need an extender for my bayonet.

Anyone have a recommendation for a high quality, reasonably priced extender?

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3402144974-5.jpg

titsonritz
12-11-23, 15:51

I guess there’s always hose clamps;-)

sinister
12-11-23, 17:05

If I could figure a way to run a plain jane carbine with nothing more than a weapon light and a sling, I'd be a happy camper.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5579/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_10_of_14__36491.1600107004.jpg?c=2
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5595/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_12_of_14__73468.1600107004.jpg?c=2
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5555/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_11_of_14__57671.1600107003.jpg?c=2
https://i.imgur.com/9ynUYnT.jpg

HKGuns
12-11-23, 17:09
I really wish there was a way to run something like a Surefire scout without some kind or railed handguard.

Have you seen this one?

I know, BOTACH, but I've yet to be burned by them. It may just be luck. It ain't 9:00 but may be a valid option.

Bayo Weapon Light Mount (https://botach.com/kz-bayonet-lug-mount-picatinny-rail/)

Disciple
12-11-23, 19:17

What don't you like about this location? Too high?

Diamondback
12-11-23, 19:23
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5579/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_10_of_14__36491.1600107004.jpg?c=2
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5595/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_12_of_14__73468.1600107004.jpg?c=2
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7lpxer6ykh/images/stencil/640w/products/946/5555/Arisaka_Mossie_Mount_Low_Res_11_of_14__57671.1600107003.jpg?c=2

Excellent point, I forgot all about the Mossie Mount from Arisaka. Iraqgunz thought them GTG, even to the point of mounting a full PEQ on one once.

Steyr, if you wanna try this out DM me your addy, reimburse postage and cover the costs of getting it back to me when you're done trying it out and you can borrow mine. The mean green Mk 18 needed to go on a diet anyway...

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 19:37
Bayonet fits pretty well on a 16" midlength. I don't own an M16 bayo, but my Dad had the M7 I brought home from Desert Storm and I checked a few years ago.

A "proper" M4gery had a 14.5 inch barrel anyway ;). Mine has a quadrail and a KAC broomstick, so mounting a light is easy enough.

Andy

I had forgotten about middy gas systems.

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 19:45

That could work. I'm gonna try it.

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 19:52
What don't you like about this location? Too high?

For illumination it's actually perfect, I like my light in a higher position especially since I run suppressors so much. But I generally don't like my light that far forward and don't like clutter around my front sight post, but it always happens with lights, slings, etc. I'm probably making too big a deal about it, but running a simple 6520 just seems like I'm slightly faster on the sights.

But once we get low light or indoors, bright lights are a must and I love how they give me a beautiful bold sight picture. I grew up learning that your options were "see your target - see your sights - you may only select one" but weapon lights changed all that. I have a big black round donut perfect sight picture AND a well illuminated target that I see perfectly.

SteyrAUG
12-11-23, 19:54
Have you seen this one?

I know, BOTACH, but I've yet to be burned by them. It may just be luck. It ain't 9:00 but may be a valid option.

Bayo Weapon Light Mount (https://botach.com/kz-bayonet-lug-mount-picatinny-rail/)

I have a few of these from when CAA was making them. It's the least ideal light location for me.

Fatt Tony
12-11-23, 23:58
Here is my KISS 11.5 setup, BCM BFH upper with front sight post and a Daniel Defense rear iron sight. My son was about 12 at the time and handled it well.

Dennis
12-12-23, 01:27
I posted this years ago and still love the light and simple setup. It doesn't have the functionality of my duty or other fancy setups but I would probably be happier carrying it around all day!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?195420-A1-Detachable-Carry-Handle-and-a-6720-Upperhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231212/58e5b0fa9647169692b98a6a65c48649.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

markm
12-12-23, 09:17
Excellent point, I forgot all about the Mossie Mount from Arisaka. Iraqgunz thought them GTG, even to the point of mounting a full PEQ on one once.

Do you still get at good iron sight picture? Not occluded?

Diamondback
12-12-23, 09:54
Technical notes first, my project was a non-firing conceptual mockup. DBAL, you'd have to hold a seance, call upon the spirit of Will Larson and ask him. The Steiner in Sinister's picture, I think you can obviously forget any sight picture.

BUT, in non-firing trials, with the Mossie as low as it would go RIGHT on top of the blast-can (Indian Creek BFD), I was able to mount an over-under stack of an upside-down Lasermax Unimax laser and a Princeton Tec Switch Rail minilight low enough to clearly see the front-sight post. In darkness situations or if you have light sensitive eyes, front-of-FSP may even be a BETTER position because more of the light goes out in front with less coming back around to fricasee my eyeball. (Consider that I have to wear polarized clip-ons over my corrective lenses under most normal lighting conditions, even indoors.)

All I can say is try it out, it might work for you--optics and illumination are like underwear, one size most assuredly DOES NOT fit all. One important point is that if you're using the Mossie you WILL want your devices to have either side-mounted or remote switches.

I saw something like this but it was only from a garbage-tier manufacturer, but if you gave me the tools to design and craft a front sight to my specs I would start with an A2 FSB, but instead of the A-frame it would have modular interfaces front and rear to mount a Surefire/Modlite/similar industry-standard battery section at the rear, similar standard interface to mount an LED light head, laser emitter or both on the front, with the socket for the standard A2 front sight post in between.

markm
12-12-23, 10:33
All I can say is try it out, it might work for you

For sure. The reason I ask is I was working on a gun that had the DD FSP rail and a SF light in the 12 oclock position. That set up worked very well. The Mossie would mimic that set up.

Diamondback
12-12-23, 12:18
Of particular concern on a 10.3 FSP, the blast deflector was the only thing between the mount and the flash hider--the BFD's job was to trap the flash in a 'pocket' and protect the laser/light.

titsonritz
12-12-23, 13:52

It works fine with an X300, but not with an X400. Can’t say with another laser/illuminator.

CrowCommand
12-12-23, 17:37
I almost mentioned the mossie midnight mount…..how soon a forum forgets.

Had one for a while, kinda wished I’d kept it. But I went full tacticool with a RIS 2 after that. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C-grunt
12-12-23, 17:53
I have this rifle I built for a yearly competition here called Red Oktober Cold War. It's built to be a non clone of the Car 15. Barrel is a Spikes middy. I will get a pencil barrel for it eventually. But it handles and shoots extremely well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53394317808_e727700c42_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pmgQsm)20231212_164615 (https://flic.kr/p/2pmgQsm) by chase (https://www.flickr.com/photos/157376915@N07/), on Flickr

Rifleman_04
12-13-23, 15:14
I have this rifle I built for a yearly competition here called Red Oktober Cold War. It's built to be a non clone of the Car 15. Barrel is a Spikes middy. I will get a pencil barrel for it eventually. But it handles and shoots extremely well.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53394317808_e727700c42_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2pmgQsm)20231212_164615 (https://flic.kr/p/2pmgQsm) by chase (https://www.flickr.com/photos/157376915@N07/), on Flickr

Does that barrel assembly have an F marked FSB?

I have a FN Middy barrel assembly with F marked FSB and an old Oly Arms(oof)C7 type upper I thought about throwing together but didn’t know how well it would zero.

mack7.62
12-13-23, 17:42
Here's one, Colt MB upper, Colt M4 barrel, 4U486 (P&S) stock, Colt grip and HG's and M68 Aimpoint. Need to put a side sling adapter (got one somewhere) and sling on. Click on pic to enbiggen.

ABNAK
12-13-23, 18:21
Here's one, Colt MB upper, Colt M4 barrel, 4U486 (P&S) stock, Colt grip and HG's and M68 Aimpoint. Need to put a side sling adapter (got one somewhere) and sling on. Click on pic to enbiggen.

Cool as fvck, simple too!

How do you zero that RDS? I like the IBSZ (50yd POA/POI) but with the height-above-bore on yours it wouldn't work out the same way.

26 Inf
12-13-23, 22:31

If you look at post 31, I have one mounted on the top rifle. It's made by Kley-Zion and sold by BOTACH (who I've ordered from several times in the last several months and had no problems with delivery)

If you compare the photos below you can see the KZ mount is lower than the, I believe, Battle Steel Mount. I've had no problems with either an OLIGHT PL-2 or a Streamlight TLR-1 obscuring the front sight.

KZ left - click on the thumbnails and you'll see how much lower the KZ is to the barrel. The light rail extension is actually relieves to match barrel contour.

Also note that this probably isn't the best mount for a mid-length 14.5 pin and weld or an SBR. Works great on a 16 inch mid-length, though.

71150 71151

SteyrAUG
12-13-23, 22:40
If you look at post 31, I have one mounted on the top rifle. It's made by Kley-Zion and sold by BOTACH (who I've ordered from several times in the last several months and had no problems with delivery)

If you compare the photos below you can see the KZ mount is lower than the, I believe, Battle Steel Mount. I've had no problems with either an OLIGHT PL-2 or a Streamlight TLR-1 obscuring the front sight.

KZ left - click on the thumbnails and you'll see how much lower the KZ is to the barrel. The light rail extension is actually relieves to match barrel contour.

Also note that this probably isn't the best mount for a mid-length 14.5 pin and weld or an SBR. Works great on a 16 inch mid-length, though.

71150 71151

Just snagged a Kley-Zion for $25 shipped.

titsonritz
12-14-23, 00:13

It’s a Mossie Midnight rail, now a days they are made and sold by Arisaka.

I prefer using them on carbine length, mids are more of a stretch than I care for.

C-grunt
12-14-23, 17:55
Does that barrel assembly have an F marked FSB?

I have a FN Middy barrel assembly with F marked FSB and an old Oly Arms(oof)C7 type upper I thought about throwing together but didn’t know how well it would zero.

It is a F marked FSB. I have it zeroed at 50 yards. The front sight post is deeper in the FSB than normal but it's not bottomed out. Ive had no issue running it.

26 Inf
12-14-23, 23:12
It’s a Mossie Midnight rail, now a days they are made and sold by Arisaka.

I prefer using them on carbine length, mids are more of a stretch than I care for.

You are right, at first glance the Battle Steel appeared similar, it isn't.

I have 36" sleeve length arms, so mid-length's are comfy.

joedirt199
12-15-23, 06:37
I have an older Kley-Zion on my duty rifle. It had cutouts on top and bottom so you could run it up against the sight spring tunnel or right on top of the gas tube tunnel. Mine has the Streamlight with tape switch taped to a set of plastic handguards.

Slater
12-15-23, 08:16
Armalite here.

https://i.imgur.com/tGNdHjal.jpg

markm
12-15-23, 09:02
I have this rifle I built for a yearly competition here called Red Oktober Cold War. It's built to be a non clone of the Car 15.

Nice to see an IDF sling. The only sling I use.

Interesting. I grabbed a variant from Botach. I'd have preferred to go with the Mossie/Arisaka, but the lower positioning of the KZ makes more sense.

caporider
12-15-23, 09:52
I put together a 13"-ish AR with an old-school Surefire M4 handguard. The Malkoff replacement LED head is a light saber. There's no real reason for the Surefire, just nostalgia.

https://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/13ar.jpg

markm
12-15-23, 11:49
I put together a 13"-ish AR with an old-school Surefire M4 handguard. The Malkoff replacement LED head is a light saber. There's no real reason for the Surefire, just nostalgia.

That's a nice little rig!

titsonritz
12-15-23, 14:54

https://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/13ar.jpg

Cool, I use have a rifle length SF light on a Bushmaster Dissipator

ViniVidivici
12-16-23, 18:13
Inspired by this, I went out and shot the bare-bones gun today, shot steep at 100-200 yards. Was good to run irons again, and hot damn that thing is light!

militarymoron
12-16-23, 18:47
More retro than M4-gery, it's my only iron-sighted AR and very light and handy. However, I now wear transition lenses (bifocals) and my issue with iron sights (handguns included) is that I have trouble focusing on the front sight nowadays. Getting older sucks. I had to replace the thin front sight post on this rifle with a HIVIS fiber optic one which helps.

https://i.imgur.com/gbV5t0M.jpg

Pappabear
12-16-23, 18:59
Inspired by this, I went out and shot the bare-bones gun today, shot steep at 100-200 yards. Was good to run irons again, and hot damn that thing is light!

Did the same. Went to 500 but wind was atrocious. Mine not so light, Hbar Match gun. Held off into the woods for wind.

PB

Diamondback
12-16-23, 20:19
More retro than M4-gery, it's my only iron-sighted AR and very light and handy. However, I now wear transition lenses (bifocals) and my issue with iron sights (handguns included) is that I have trouble focusing on the front sight nowadays.
Unsure if you've considered this, but I've heard of some shooters having their optometrists reverse the "distance"/"close-in" section positions from normal in their bifocal lenses--my own has said that if she's still practicing and I'm still with her when my eyes get to that point, it's what she'll be recommending for me. (She's pretty good, even has me bring in rifle uppers discreetly cased as part of "test fitting" to make sure my new lenses will perform in the applications I need them to.)

grizzman
12-16-23, 20:51
I don't play the clone game, so I don't have any M4gerys with craptastic M4 handguards, grips, and buttstocks, but I have a couple with carry handle rear sights, FSBs, Magpul handguards, and Magpul stocks. One's a 20" A1 profile and one's a 16" middy.

I have a 14.5" Colt (that still has the factory Colt M4 handguards) I bought within the last year, but I'm considering installing a Centurion FSB cutout FF handguard onto it.

26 Inf
12-16-23, 22:18
More retro than M4-gery, it's my only iron-sighted AR and very light and handy. However, I now wear transition lenses (bifocals) and my issue with iron sights (handguns included) is that I have trouble focusing on the front sight nowadays. Getting older sucks. I had to replace the thin front sight post on this rifle with a HIVIS fiber optic one which helps.

Unsure if you've considered this, but I've heard of some shooters having their optometrists reverse the "distance"/"close-in" section positions from normal in their bifocal lenses--my own has said that if she's still practicing and I'm still with her when my eyes get to that point, it's what she'll be recommending for me. (She's pretty good, even has me bring in rifle uppers discreetly cased as part of "test fitting" to make sure my new lenses will perform in the applications I need them to.)

When I first wore contacts for some reason the optometrist made a big deal out showing me how to curl my index finger to make an aperture for distance vision if I lost a lens. Same principle here, except screw in apertures of various sizes:

Need the Rear Sight: https://compasslake.com/product/national-match-rear-sight-adapter-kit/

Need the apertures: https://compasslake.com/product/interchangeable-rear-aperture-for-national-match-sight/

Or, you could get a National Match rear sight with a lens insert: https://www.ssusa.org/content/iron-sight-lens-inserts-are-they-right-for-you/

http://www.ironsightoptics.com/index.html

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/miso-ar-15-full-conversion-kit

militarymoron
12-16-23, 23:37
When I first wore contacts for some reason the optometrist made a big deal out showing me how to curl my index finger to make an aperture for distance vision if I lost a lens. Same principle here, except screw in apertures of various sizes:

Need the Rear Sight: https://compasslake.com/product/national-match-rear-sight-adapter-kit/

Need the apertures: https://compasslake.com/product/interchangeable-rear-aperture-for-national-match-sight/

Or, you could get a National Match rear sight with a lens insert: https://www.ssusa.org/content/iron-sight-lens-inserts-are-they-right-for-you/

http://www.ironsightoptics.com/index.html

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/miso-ar-15-full-conversion-kit

Thanks for that info - that MISO rear aperture looks interesting.

ViniVidivici
12-17-23, 01:37
I don't play the clone game, so I don't have any M4gerys with craptastic M4 handguards, grips, and buttstocks, but I have a couple with carry handle rear sights, FSBs, Magpul handguards, and Magpul stocks. One's a 20" A1 profile and one's a 16" middy.

I have a 14.5" Colt (that still has the factory Colt M4 handguards) I bought within the last year, but I'm considering installing a Centurion FSB cutout FF handguard onto it.

That's why this isn't a clone thread, it's a "keep it simple/lightweight" thread.

Yep, usual handguards, A2 grip, and waffle stocks are craptastic, I agree.

The gun I shot steel with today was a PSA upper on top of an Aero Precision lower, Magpul MOE handguard & stock, & BCM grip, mo' bettah.

SteyrAUG
12-17-23, 04:12
That's why this isn't a clone thread, it's a "keep it simple/lightweight" thread.

Yep, usual handguards, A2 grip, and waffle stocks are craptastic, I agree.

The gun I shot steel with today was a PSA upper on top of an Aero Precision lower, Magpul MOE handguard & stock, & BCM grip, mo' bettah.

I dunno. I'm fine with CAR handguards, love A2 grips and lots out there worse than M4 waffle stocks.

Uncas47
12-17-23, 08:44
I dunno. I'm fine with CAR handguards, love A2 grips and lots out there worse than M4 waffle stocks.
No magpul crap on my guns, not now not never.

Rifleman_04
12-17-23, 10:51
No magpul crap on my guns, not now not never.

What did I miss? Do we hate magpul now?

grizzman
12-17-23, 11:32
I completely forgot about my LE6920-FDEC with Magpul FDE MOE-SL, MIAD, STR, and a Colt carry handle rear sight.

RUTGERS95
12-17-23, 11:34

looks so damn sexy

RUTGERS95
12-17-23, 11:35
speaking of which, what are nos m4 kac ras going for?

Uncas47
12-17-23, 12:13
What did I miss? Do we hate magpul now?
I just prefer the "craptastic".

Disciple
12-17-23, 12:46
I just prefer the "craptastic".

Because burning yourself on the FSB is fun? Waffle stocks and A2 grips just work, but the carbine clamshell was always too short. The MOE SL handguard seems so much better to me.

Uncas47
12-17-23, 13:14
Deleted.

SteyrAUG
12-17-23, 15:31
Because burning yourself on the FSB is fun? Waffle stocks and A2 grips just work, but the carbine clamshell was always too short. The MOE SL handguard seems so much better to me.

I "think" I got my SP1 carbine around 1981, not once have I burned myself on the FSB despite the fact that I was mag dumping surplus 5.56 all through the 80s. Of course I wasn't doing stuff like a reverse Costa clamp hold so maybe that is why.

Disciple
12-17-23, 18:00
So I am the one doing it wrong. :blink: Longer handguards help for retards like me.

Uncas47
12-17-23, 18:34
Deleted.

Disciple
12-17-23, 18:55
As I said, do what you like. You come at me with a straw man argument about burning my hands, like I'm a retard. I get it , your hands are sensitive to the hot thing, you found a way around it, happy for ya bro.

Damn I've really got to get better at conveying tone. That's twice in in as many days I've come across wrong. I didn't mean to make a strawman argument. I just didn't realize I was peculiar in having problems with the short carbine handguard. I meant no sarcasm when I wrote "So I am the one doing it wrong."

Uncas47
12-17-23, 19:24
Damn I've really got to get better at conveying tone. That's twice in in as many days I've come across wrong. I didn't mean to make a strawman argument. I just didn't realize I was peculiar in having problems with the short carbine handguard. I meant no sarcasm when I wrote "So I am the one doing it wrong."
No worries my friend, we're all good, enjoy your guns in good health.

ABNAK
12-17-23, 19:31
If you're gonna go with Magpul handguards instead of the standard short carbine one or a quad rail I can agree. The extra two inches or so that it gives for gripping is helpful, and doesn't weigh as much as a quad rail setup. They also feel good in the hand.

SteyrAUG
12-18-23, 00:29
So I am the one doing it wrong. :blink: Longer handguards help for retards like me.

Too many factors to consider. For example, I can't shoot slimline handguards on a HK91. Despite the fact that they are two feet long my front hand comes back to near the front receiver and I burn the F out of myself on the area of the barrel trunnion, especially if I'm running a select fire G3 because they get toasty. So tropical handguards for me because they cover that area and keep my stupid hands OFF the hot metal.

And that's probably why I've never burnt myself on the front sight of anything, I tend to be a rear of the handguard kind of shooter if there isn't a VFG. But if you work out towards the front of the handguard, because that is how you shoot most effectively...that's probably why you enjoy those Magpul guards. It's nice not to get burnt.

Now if only someone could design a triple heat shield setup for the Kalashnikov because there is no place to hold one of those once they get smoking. At least with AK rail guards you can eventually start some burgers.

kirkland
12-18-23, 03:48

Same here, I actually love the A2 grip, and I don’t mind the M4 hanguards. I don't shoot with my support hand way out at the end of the barrel and have no use for something like a 15" rail.

sinister
12-18-23, 06:56
Now if only someone could design a triple heat shield setup for the Kalashnikov because there is no place to hold one of those once they get smoking. At least with AK rail guards you can eventually start some burgers.
That's why (if I have to shoot an AK) I prefer the Romanian dong.

https://media.iwm.org.uk/ciim5/247/481/large_000000.jpg

ViniVidivici
12-18-23, 08:15
Different strokes for different folks, as far as stocks, grips, etc.

Me, over the years I just never liked the way the A2 grip felt in the hand, and that finger groove was always all wrong.

And I hate not having storage in the grip, seems like wasted space without it.

BCM Mod 0 is my preferred. Feels just right, better angle, fills hand better, and perfect storage. Magpul K2 would be a close second. I much prefer the angle of these.

Waffle stock ain't terrible, but I prefer other designs, like MFT Minimalist, BCM Mod 0, and Magpul MOE (with the tightening feature I came up with).

The simple Magpul MOE carbine handguard to me fits better in the hand, and is so easy to get sling attachments and rail sections mounted, right where I want them. Sleeker and better profile than M4 type. For me.

There was a time when I said NO to Magpul, seemed like it was fanboy shit, when they started making more than just the original rubber Magpuls for mags (still have a couple of those!), and I steered clear of them for a while.

But their shit is cheap, and it works well, 2 things I highly value.

HKGuns
12-18-23, 09:24
I like the A2 grip also, it is just a weee bit skinny when compared to my favorite, the HK grip with the bottom compartment. It has a tiny bit of palm swell that makes it super comfy. I do like both and all my rifles wear one or the other with the exception of the complete DD M4A1 which wears its stock DD grip that is pretty decent as well.

mack7.62
12-21-23, 16:03
Timely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ukAXmTD-ec

SteyrAUG
12-21-23, 18:39
Timely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ukAXmTD-ec

That is the best range I've ever seen.

mack7.62
12-21-23, 20:23
That is the best range I've ever seen.

I think it's somewhere near Houston and it does look like fun.

kerplode
12-21-23, 20:26
Ugh...This damn thread is going to cost me money.

And I had finally convinced myself that I don't need anymore ARs, too. Jerks...

mack7.62
12-21-23, 20:33
AR's were meant to weigh 5-6 lbs not 10+, every time I pick one of these up I am reminded of this fact.

SteyrAUG
12-21-23, 23:58

I'm betting you also don't have a 6933. :sarcastic:

AR's were meant to weigh 5-6 lbs not 10+, every time I pick one of these up I am reminded of this fact.

Possibly the most true statement ever posted on a gun forum. As someone who started with SP1s, it took me a long time to warm up to the M4 with rails and 6 lbs of shit on it. I mean I understand it, but sometimes for fun I hand somebody an original SP1 20" barrel rifle just to watch them realize it's lighter than an Uzi.

Pappabear
12-22-23, 09:01
I posted about being in Bear Arms in Scottsdale recently. They had a 6933 and I promised myself I would buy the next one I saw and it was $1,299. And I walked after busting my bank this month. They had a Colt M5 too, of which I had never seen. 6933 still on my list. A Mk18 and 6933 keeps it real.

PB

markm
12-22-23, 09:14

That Aim Surplus LE Trade in thread was impressive. I already have ARs I don't shoot, and started salivating when those citizens posted their Colts.

(edited for Colt lovers everywhere)

SeriousStudent
12-22-23, 09:21
I have an old school Colt SP1 pencil barrel carbine with the N1 stock and A1 sights. I need to dig that out of the range and shoot it. It really is fast and fun in the daylight. No lights, not optics and a simple BFG unpadded sling.

HKGuns
12-22-23, 09:40
That Aim Surplus LE Trade in thread was impressive. I already have ARs I don't shoot, and started salivating when those citizens posted their Colts.

(edited for Colt lovers everywhere)

I saw you called us all Tards........ :)

markm
12-22-23, 10:19
I saw you called us all Tards........ :)

Clowns, not tards! You guys nearly cost me $600 plus for an AR I don't want or need! :sarcastic:

Todd.K
12-22-23, 12:02
This is good time to remind people that A2 and C7 uppers are available again. I think a fixed carry handle is the best way to avoid adding optics.

My basic AR has been a C7 with pencil midlength barrel.

markm
12-22-23, 13:06
When I was younger.. in my 20s, I remember seeing the KAC RAS rails on guns in the gun rags and thought it was the coolest looking thing. If I did have a plastic handguard AR, I'd end up installing a RAS or B&T rail within a week. I can do carry handle, but the standard handguard is too retro for me.

1986s4
12-26-23, 07:25
I have a 723ish build. I say "ish" because it has a 14.5" Colt SOCOM profile barrel under the carbine handguards. It has a C7 upper and I have green furniture on it. Despite the SOCOM barrel it feels light and handy.

mack7.62
12-26-23, 09:07
I have a 723ish build. I say "ish" because it has a 14.5" Colt SOCOM profile barrel under the carbine handguards. It has a C7 upper and I have green furniture on it. Despite the SOCOM barrel it feels light and handy.

Mine has a C7 and 14.5 Colt 1/12 twist barrel.

Spatten
12-29-23, 11:48
When I was younger.. in my 20s, I remember seeing the KAC RAS rails on guns in the gun rags and thought it was the coolest looking thing. If I did have a plastic handguard AR, I'd end up installing a RAS or B&T rail within a week. I can do carry handle, but the standard handguard is too retro for me.

I agree with you. I like quad rails.

This is my Colt. Shot it this past weekend and it was great.

http://i.imgur.com/qFdHQL5.jpg (https://imgur.com/qFdHQL5)

http://i.imgur.com/54criGU.jpg (https://imgur.com/54criGU)

markm
12-29-23, 12:10
Whoa! That's a pretty cool fixed carry handle 14.5. I've been itching to do a rattle can carbean again lately.

ViniVidivici
12-29-23, 14:02
I agree with you. I like quad rails.

This is my Colt. Shot it this past weekend and it was great.

http://i.imgur.com/qFdHQL5.jpg (https://imgur.com/qFdHQL5)

http://i.imgur.com/54criGU.jpg (https://imgur.com/54criGU)

That is a thing of beauty.

We only have one black rifle around here...

Uncas47
12-29-23, 14:21
That is a thing of beauty.

We only have one black rifle around here...
Superb! .....Sorry quoted the wrong post, I meant the gun

Spatten
12-29-23, 15:40
I'm glad that you guys like my carbine. I've had that upper for about 20 years now. I recently adjusted the rear sight to the RIBZ method. Pretty neato stuff.

D. Wilson did the chop, pin, and weld for me. Under the paint, it is a gray "C MB" with M4 feed ramps. Has this stamp as well.

http://i.imgur.com/zBzYGQyh.jpg (https://imgur.com/zBzYGQy)

markm
12-31-23, 18:52
Here is a Cgrunt clone. :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/TSw1lj5.jpg

Uncas47
01-01-24, 13:58

That one's real classy Mark, well done.

markm
01-01-24, 19:22
That one's real classy Mark, well done.

It's funny that out of ALL the high speed ARs we have, the thing that sparks our interest is a bone stock 6920. Insanity.

Dusty T
01-01-24, 19:27
https://i.postimg.cc/jjhRVQPp/M4-Twins.jpg

Uncas47
01-01-24, 22:12
It's funny that out of ALL the high speed ARs we have, the thing that sparks our interest is a bone stock 6920. Insanity.

LOL, not my cup of tea anymore but I still appreciate them.

SteyrAUG
01-02-24, 04:10

It's that high speed "real deal operator" sling that does it. Any time I see paracords on rifles I know dude is SF. If you had a spare mag rubber banded to your stock you'd probably be Delta.

JediGuy
01-02-24, 05:40

Kindof. After I got the 14.5” Colt upper earlier this year, I was reminded quickly how retarded I think that barrel profile is and promptly sold it. I almost nabbed one of these, but knowing I’d sell off the barrel and then have to buy a new one, put it together, etc etc…passed.

HKGuns
01-02-24, 06:56

Someone needs a mag-light on their HG.

markm
01-02-24, 07:57
LOL, not my cup of tea anymore but I still appreciate them.

It's purely a target shooting fun thing. It's just so different than the regular rotation guns.

It's that high speed "real deal operator" sling that does it. Any time I see paracords on rifles I know dude is SF. If you had a spare mag rubber banded to your stock you'd probably be Delta.

There's no better interface for the IDF sling. I hope the mis-matched color of cord doesn't indicate any group of warriors that might be offensive.

Kindof. After I got the 14.5” Colt upper earlier this year, I was reminded quickly how retarded I think that barrel profile is and promptly sold it. I almost nabbed one of these, but knowing I’d sell off the barrel and then have to buy a new one, put it together, etc etc…passed.

You mean the govt profile, I assume? I mostly run SOCOM 14.5s anymore, but the govt profile isn't that offensive to me. And the reduced weight of this specific gun is a nice characteristic.

Someone needs a mag-light on their HG.

That's getting into the gay cloner realm. This is just a gun with a sling. Every AR I run has to have a sling unless it's got a bi-pod or some sort of specific set up.

Rngr188
01-02-24, 09:23
I took my M4 carbine marked LE prefix serial number 6920 and added a new Colt 14.5 Socom barrel unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here.

Hank6046
01-02-24, 09:39
I took my M4 carbine marked LE prefix serial number 6920 and added a new Colt 14.5 Socom barrel unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post pictures on here.

Flickr, click on picture, share picture, copy url. (Back on M4C) click insert image, copy into URL block, Unclick retrieve local files.

Korgs130
01-02-24, 11:49
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240102/9ea7c6bd9996e571c556db73f8ddf349.jpg

723ish clone:

- C7 Upper
- BCM 14.5” Gov Profile Barrel w/ p & w A2X FH (assembled by John Thomas)
- BCM Mod 4 Ambi CH
- Aimpoint 9000
- Trimmed section of pic rail directly bolted to handguard for the light (SF P6 w/ Malkoff drop in (LED)
- Canteen strap & 550 chord sling (not pictured)
- PSA M16A2 Lower
- Bakelite A1 Pistol Grip
- LMT Ambi Safety Sel
- Geissele G2S trigger
- B5 Systems CAR-15 Buttstock

markm
01-02-24, 11:54
- Trimmed section of pic rail directly bolted to handguard for the light

I remember those days. I had a couple of those set ups. Cool carbine!

bamashooter
01-03-24, 08:41
My 11.5" pistol is pretty basic. Plain handguards with detachable carry handle. I unassed the giant attaching screws from the handle and with a little effort I replaced with much smaller ones.

https://i.imgur.com/2JC1c9i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KSZSPl5.jpg

markm
01-03-24, 08:47
I unassed the giant attaching screws from the handle and with a little effort I replaced with much smaller ones.

Those have never bothered me a bit. And I like that they come on the ACOG too. The big screws act like a bumper when your rifle lays on its side.

Pappabear
01-03-24, 08:52

723ish clone:

- C7 Upper
- BCM Mod 4 Ambi CH
- Aimpoint 9000
- Trimmed section of pic rail directly bolted to handguard for the light (SF P6 w/ Malkoff drop in (LED)
- PSA M16A2 Lower
- LMT Ambi Safety Sel
- Geissele G2S trigger
Aimpoint 9000, nice touch. I’ve never even seen one in the wild.

PB

markm
01-03-24, 08:59
Aimpoint 9000, nice touch. I’ve never even seen one in the wild.

That one is actually still available I think. I'm pretty sure I saw it recently at one of the retailer's websites.

Uncas47
01-03-24, 15:26
Those have never bothered me a bit. And I like that they come on the ACOG too. The big screws act like a bumper when your rifle lays on its side.
Even on a cut down they remain worthy.

Uncas47
01-03-24, 15:30

723ish clone:

- C7 Upper
- BCM Mod 4 Ambi CH
- Aimpoint 9000
- PSA M16A2 Lower
- LMT Ambi Safety Sel
- Geissele G2S trigger

Some respect for clonishers here. Glad to see y'all coming around lol.

bamashooter
01-04-24, 06:45

Good deal. Sure don't want the side of that gun touching anything.

markm
01-04-24, 08:11
Good deal. Sure don't want the side of that gun touching anything.

More so the COG. I know the ACOGs are "bomb proof", but I still have an instinct to take care of optics. I have had the carry handle screws snag on the sling and stuff every so often, but I still prefer to leave them "large".

DoubleW
01-04-24, 08:35
I was always curious why the knobs on the M4 specific ACOG were on the left side of the gun while the knobs for the A4 specific ACOG were on the ejection port side. It’s the same mount and it is reversible, but it was specified that way.

GTF425
01-04-24, 08:54
I was always curious why the knobs on the M4 specific ACOG were on the left side of the gun while the knobs for the A4 specific ACOG were on the ejection port side. It’s the same mount and it is reversible, but it was specified that way.

Every MIL issued ACOG I saw was on the right (ejection port side). My understanding is that it kept a lower profile against the body when carried by a right handed shooters.

markm
01-04-24, 09:34
Damn. I never knew the A4 Cogger had the knobs on the right side.

Hank6046
01-04-24, 12:27

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta31rco-a4cp

I remember when I was at Wilcox a lot of Grunts on the rifle range swapped them over to the left so that the support hand could ensure that they were tightened down and it wouldn't interfere with getting their fingers in the chamber to clear double feeds, and I thought to my self that made sense, but others told me that the right side worked better as you could check them better with the multipoint slings that were issued out with the A4s while in a sitting position, all of this was probably LCpl wisdoms, but I do remember the screws on the RCO being on the right hand side

markm
01-04-24, 13:08
Odd that there'd be that much concern with checking tightness. I've never had them come loose ever... COG or Carry handle.

ViniVidivici
01-04-24, 17:43
Yeah I know, me either.

But I Loctite EVERYTHING like that.

Uncas47
01-04-24, 18:42
I crank them down as much as my old fingers can, then grab a quarter and go some more. I always need that quarter to get them loose again.

ViniVidivici
01-04-24, 20:09
Well I shot mine again today, at 100-200 yards, banging the 12"x20" steel. Always good to do some irons-only rifle work.

And again, DAMN that thing is light!

markm
01-04-24, 21:32
Well I shot mine again today, at 100-200 yards, banging the 12"x20" steel. Always good to do some irons-only rifle work.

And again, DAMN that thing is light!

It's always an eye opener at how well irons and plain ball ammo can work.

ViniVidivici
01-05-24, 13:26
Yeah....sure made me appreciate my optics though! HA!

Uncas47
01-05-24, 13:35
Yeah....sure made me appreciate my optics though! HA!
Absolutely, irons are great, optics are greater.

ABNAK
01-05-24, 19:08

I didn't either, and I've had several ACOGs over the years to include the two I currently own. Guess all you'd have to do is remove the mount part and turn it around, right?

bamashooter
01-06-24, 06:33
I didn't either, and I've had several ACOGs over the years to include the two I currently own. Guess all you'd have to do is remove the mount part and turn it around, right?

Yep, reversible.