PDA

View Full Version : Aero Precision A4

Slater
12-16-23, 15:59
Picked this up today. Aero calls it their "X15" model. Seems well put together, with no rattle or looseness evident. The furniture and (I'm guessing) the barrel are sourced from vendors. Has an AP marked BCG. Does Aero also make the upper and lower?

https://i.imgur.com/mNpGvEbl.jpg

Stickman
12-16-23, 16:12
AP is well known for their receivers (in house). Take her out and get some rounds through her and let us know how it does. It should be a smooth shooter.

ETA- What are your plans for it? Rail? Optic? Or are you going to leave her smooth similar to an M16A2?

Slater
12-16-23, 16:54
Right now I'm thinking of leaving it as is. Might throw an optic on later.

indianalex01
12-16-23, 17:30
Picked this up today. Aero calls it their "X15" model. Seems well put together, with no rattle or looseness evident. The furniture and (I'm guessing) the barrel are sourced from vendors. Has an AP marked BCG. Does Aero also make the upper and lower?

https://i.imgur.com/mNpGvEbl.jpg

Why did you choose this over say.. FN or Colt A4?

Slater
12-16-23, 18:01
I have a Colt already and was looking to try something new. And Aero has a generally decent reputation.

ViniVidivici
12-16-23, 18:10
If it's anything like the Aero/BA stuff I own, you'll be pleased.

grizzman
12-16-23, 18:22
It's never been my standard for AR-15s, but I've used a few Aero uppers and lowers for builds, and have been completely satisfied. The barrel is probably a Ballistic Advantage.

I've used a couple Aero M5 receiver sets, with their handguards, for large frame builds as well....no complaints at all.

Pappabear
12-16-23, 18:27
I bought a couple "pistol" lowers and have never used them, but they seem well built. Keep us posted.

We shot my Colt HBar 20 inch gun today. Match target gun and ran just as yours is laid out. Noticed it was 1/9 twist on mine, didn't love that but I think we have shot 77's and it shot well. Going to take out again next week and test with our house load and double check. Only had 69 RMR's to play with for a heavy.

PB

Stickman
12-17-23, 12:52
I bought a couple "pistol" lowers and have never used them, but they seem well built. Keep us posted.

We shot my Colt HBar 20 inch gun today. Match target gun and ran just as yours is laid out. Noticed it was 1/9 twist on mine, didn't love that but I think we have shot 77's and it shot well. Going to take out again next week and test with our house load and double check. Only had 69 RMR's to play with for a heavy.

PB

I know my 20" HBAR works well with just about everything with its 1/9 twist, but I don't shoot out quite as far as you guys.

Hank6046
12-17-23, 19:19
If it's anything like the Aero/BA stuff I own, you'll be pleased.

I would agree.

DoubleW
12-18-23, 11:15
It’s likely your receiver extension is 6061 and your handguards are the cheaper commercial versions with the thin polymer and black aluminum heat shields. Aside from that, probably a nice rifle! Both of those things are easily fixable.

grizzman
12-18-23, 11:39
What manufacturers besides Colt use a 7075 A2 receiver extension?

Slater
12-18-23, 12:42
On the topic of heat shields, bought this seta few months ago from some surplus outfit. CAGE Code 03YU1 references to Custom Technology of America in Swansea, SC. Can't say I've ever heard of them:

https://i.imgur.com/6FAYeQCl.jpg

pinzgauer
12-18-23, 13:10
It’s likely your receiver extension is 6061 and your handguards are the cheaper commercial versions with the thin polymer and black aluminum heat shields. Aside from that, probably a nice rifle! Both of those things are easily fixable.May want to do just a little bit of research before your generic bashing, as you are wrong, at least on the receiver extension / buffer tube. They use 7075.

Don't know on the rifle length, but their carbine length m4 plastic hand guards are double heat shielded.

All of this is on their website, they are very upfront.

AP is not perfect, but they are pretty darn good and pretty consistent.

In my circle of friends and family probably dozens of AP receiver sets/lpks used without a single issue. Multiple BA barrels that are excellent service and dmr'ish quality. A large frame complete lower and complete upper that works flawlessly, has a great trigger, and is very acurate.

We use their LPK without FCG pretty consistently and put in ALG triggers or similar.

About the only thing of theirs I don't use is bolts not because there's any problem, but they are a bit more expensive and you can get microbest for the same or less money

556Cliff
12-18-23, 13:33
May want to do just a little bit of research before your generic bashing, as you are wrong, at least on the receiver extension / buffer tube. They use 7075.

Don't know on the rifle length, but their carbine length m4 plastic hand guards are double heat shielded.

In my circle of friends and family probably dozens of AP receiver sets/lpks used without a single issue. Multiple BA barrels that are excellent service and dmr'ish quality. A large frame complete lower and complete upper that works flawlessly, has a great trigger, and is very acurate.

We use their LPK without FCG pretty consistently and put in ALG triggers or similar.

About the only thing of theirs I don't use is bolts not because there's any problem, but they are a bit more expensive and you can get microbest for the same or less money

This is all I could find describing the specs of Aero's rifle buffer tube, says it's 6061. > https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-rifle-buffer-kit-1

As mentioned, their A2 rifle handguards are not the real thing.

DoubleW
12-18-23, 13:48
May want to do just a little bit of research before your generic bashing, as you are wrong, at least on the receiver extension / buffer tube. They use 7075.

lol. Who needs to do research? First of all I said likely. Secondly, their own site advertises their rifle receiver extensions as 6061.

pinzgauer
12-18-23, 14:44
This is all I could find describing the specs of Aero's rifle buffer tube, says it's 6061. > https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-rifle-buffer-kit-1

As mentioned, their A2 rifle handguards are not the real thing.Well I stand corrected, their carbine buffer tubes are 7075.

pinzgauer
12-18-23, 14:45
lol. Who needs to do research? First of all I said likely. Secondly, their own site advertises their rifle receiver extensions as 6061.Truedat!

vicious_cb
12-18-23, 15:54
Mind confirming if your upper has no feed ramps and a rifle barrel extension? Ive been wondering why Aero non-feed ramp A4 uppers have been out of stock for months.

Slater
12-19-23, 06:18
Mind confirming if your upper has no feed ramps and a rifle barrel extension? Ive been wondering why Aero non-feed ramp A4 uppers have been out of stock for months.

This upper has feed ramps. Not sure how to identify barrel extensions.

vicious_cb
12-19-23, 08:27
This upper has feed ramps. Not sure how to identify barrel extensions.

Thats a bit disconcerting for that product ever coming back in stock. Guess I have to move heaven and earth to find some non feed ramp uppers before they go extinct.

Your upper has an M4 barrel extension otherwise there would be an obvious ledge and a major f*** up for whoever put it together since the bullet tip would catch on the ledge.

Thanks for the update.

https://www.ar15barrels.com/gfx/feedramps.jpg

556Cliff
12-19-23, 09:41
Thats a bit disconcerting for that product ever coming back in stock. Guess I have to move heaven and earth to find some non feed ramp uppers before they go extinct.

Your upper has an M4 barrel extension otherwise there would be an obvious ledge and a major f*** up for whoever put it together since the bullet tip would catch on the ledge.

Thanks for the update.

Not currently in stock, but here's another option besides Aero for uppers without M4 feed ramps. > https://ar15discounts.com/products/dirty-bird-ar-15-stripped-upper-receiver-no-feedramps/

vicious_cb
12-19-23, 15:16
Not currently in stock, but here's another option besides Aero for uppers without M4 feed ramps. > https://ar15discounts.com/products/dirty-bird-ar-15-stripped-upper-receiver-no-feedramps/

All colors out of stock. I think the entire industry is shifting to M4 feed ramp uppers and barrels. If you got one you probably want to hang on to it since there are still a lot of 18"+ barrels with rifle extensions on them.

556Cliff
12-19-23, 15:50
All colors out of stock. I think the entire industry is shifting to M4 feed ramp uppers and barrels. If you got one you probably want to hang on to it since there are still a lot of 18"+ barrels with rifle extensions on them.

I think Brownells needs to bring them back since a lot of their barrels come with non-M4 ramped barrel extensions.