PDA

View Full Version : President's Hundred

11Bravo
01-05-09, 19:43
I’ve decided I need to shoot this match once or twice, but I will be needing a rifle.

Thinking about what might be needed.

Since Dan Lilja's brother is a pretty good friend of mine, and Dan makes very good barrels, I think I'll look at one of his 20” barrels.

Not sure where to go with receivers.
Reading the rules it looks to me that one of the "blocky" billet receivers may not meet the requirements; looks like one of the forged receivers would be required.
Rifle has to look stock from the outside and at least I don’t think any of the billet receivers do.
A2 upper receiver so there is no possibility that there will be an issue with the carry handle not mounting exactly the same each time; was leaning towards one of the Rock River Arms selected fit upper and lower sets but not sure for sure.

Get both an A1 and A2 stock to make up my mind which way to go.

Possibly a Young Manufacturing chrome M-16 national match bolt carrier group.
http://www.newriverarms.net/product-info.php?pid110.html

Trigger?
I don’t know.

Forearm?
Can’t use rails but would like free float; the Stainless Service Rifle Free Float Tube sure looks like just the slick ticket here.
http://www.newriverarms.net/product-info.php?pid66.html

Sights?
Don’t know.

Ideas?
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Oh yeah, anyone here shot the match?

RogerinTPA
01-05-09, 21:47
I shot the President's Hundred way back in the day with a national match grade M1A1, when they ruled the firing line. You will need Match or National Match pretty much everything, Sights, trigger, barrel, stock, sling, etc... In order to qualify your weapon and to be competitive. I think the CMP sells National Match A2's from RRA or Armalite, if memory serves me correctly, or at least they used to. They also have a ton of info on the matches at Camp Perry and criteria for your weapon in order to qualify. If you can't find the info, shoot em an email. If you're at or close to Benning, you might want to stop by the USAMU. You can shoot them an email as well. They will answer all of your questions. Good luck.

http://www.odcmp.com/

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/

sgtrock82
01-12-09, 21:17
I have shot 3 times and been close once, but not quite close enough. I have several years experience in service rifle competition but am currently on hiatus, it can b terribly expensive and time consuming and I needed to buy a house.
There need not be anything magical to shoot the P100, people have won with ..gasp! a box stock Bushmaster national match rifle, though a rock river is everybit as good if not better. I don't know if you just have the need to roll your own or not but Buying a complete ready to run upper from either compass lake engineering or white oak precision is a good way to go. this is what you need to be competitive
-A good barrel: kreiger, lilja, douglas, whoever, the above 2 builder can furnish ready to install barrels from most makers with headspaced bolt. Just make sure the barrel is 1-7 to 1-8
-A float tube: again I would buy from one of the above
-Sights: can be found in a variety of places you will want one with interchangeable aperatures and 1/2 min windage and elevation adjustment. You will need the aperatures til you find the best for you(most use .040) and a .052 or.062 front sight post,
-Trigger: I shot a jewel back then, because it was totally adjustable with out removing anything or bending springs. The Geiselle was just coming out then and I never tried but I hear it is the trigger to have these days. They make a NM model you will need for 4 1/2 pound pull you will want 2 stage. They will weigh and certify your trigger.
-weight: you will need to find one of the solid lead weights that fill the cleaning kit compartment. The handguards usually need to be modified to work with the float tube including removing the alum. liners. I recomend expoxying about 3 strips of stick on tire weights(napa) into the lower handguard. Your rifle should weigh 12-15lbs. the weight isn't to absorb recoil, it dampens the effect of wind on your position in off hand. It will also help with pulse and other peculiar subconscious movements your body may make. You can go with out the weighted forend but do do the buttstock.
- Either a 1907 style sling or the old GI web sling (vietnam-80s era)
-75-77 grain bullets.
The reciver will pretty much have to be A2. While the A4 is authorized, the detachable rear sights are not capable of as much elevation, which you will need alot of when shooting 600yds. I would also forget the NM carrier. IMO not worth while and I cant remember ever seeing on on the line.

All these are just parts and the slickest rifle in the world will be of no use unless you are ready for the pressure and rigors of competing at camp perry i recommend shooting a bunch of other matches and gain experience in firing line and target pulling procedures and gain valuable zeros as during the P100 there are no sighters. I will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have regarding NM, just PM me.