PDA

View Full Version : What is the early S&W problem?

g5m
01-05-09, 20:01
I've read a number of posts that have mentioned a problem that some of the early S&W AR's have but haven't been able to find what that problem is by searching. (Probably haven't searched correctly.)

Could someone enlighten me?

Buck
01-06-09, 00:40
There have been a few small issues S&W carbines, but the ones that most people complained about was an out of spec magazine well the prevented the use of PMAGs and a B/O gasblock on the T modles that caused short strokes...

B

Eric
01-06-09, 05:02
Most early ones used CMT carriers that had unusual staking across the top if the gas key, instead of being properly staked from the sides. They can easily be restaked though.
Pic of old type:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Carriers/Stag2.jpg

C4IGrant
01-07-09, 09:07
I've read a number of posts that have mentioned a problem that some of the early S&W AR's have but haven't been able to find what that problem is by searching. (Probably haven't searched correctly.)

Could someone enlighten me?

Here is the short list:

Gas keys not staked properly
Tight Chambers
Magwell out of stock (wouldn't take PMAG's)
Castle nut not staked

C4

g5m
01-07-09, 10:43
Thanks very much.

Have certainly missed this site the last few days.

ST911
01-07-09, 11:22
Adding: Misaligned gas ports, IIRC- confined to the TC transition period.

tango-papa
01-07-09, 12:30
Here is the short list:

Tight Chambers
Castle nut not staked

C4

Grant,

Might you (or anyone...) know the SN# range for the 'out of spec' magwells?
Have a line on a few stripped lowers at a reasonable price, but won't be making that purchase unless/until I know they won't be problematic.

I'd buy 'em from you Grant, but you're out of stock...

tp

C4IGrant
01-07-09, 12:39
Grant,

Might you (or anyone...) know the SN# range for the 'out of spec' magwells?
Have a line on a few stripped lowers at a reasonable price, but won't be making that purchase unless/until I know they won't be problematic.

I'd buy 'em from you Grant, but you're out of stock...

tp

The stripped lower thing is somewhat newer so I would say that you are safe.

Worse case is that you get one and PMAG's do not drop free. You would just send it back to S&W for a new one.

C4

tango-papa
01-07-09, 12:47
The stripped lower thing is somewhat newer so I would say that you are safe.

Worse case is that you get one and PMAG's do not drop free. You would just send it back to S&W for a new one.

C4

Thank You Sir!
And before I buy one or two...
If you've got any in stock, or some inbound, I'd rather spend my money with you.

Regards,
tp

SwatDawg15
01-08-09, 00:46
I have a very early version and there is no sses with any of the 30+ pmags im put in it. I read all the storeys as well. USGI mags worked fine in those, but pmags didnt. Makes me really doubt the lower was out of spec. Im reading about more and more LMT's not droping PMAGS free as well.... I doubt they are out of spec. PMAGS are kick ass, but they are polymer. There is a more likely chance that a few of them were a bit oversized or something? Magpul does a hell of a job with QC, and so does CMT/STAG/S&W at the time.

Bottom line I think it was insane to send a damn lower back because a pmag would not drop free. As others learned, 30 seconds with a file and they worked like a charm. :D

nickdrak
01-08-09, 08:52
I recently picked up two of the stripped S&W lowers. It looks like they went out of their way to make sure there wouldnt be any more tight mag-well issues. These have the widest bevel on the mag-wells of any forged lower I have ever seen. They are also very nicely machined, with NO forging marks at all.

tango-papa
01-08-09, 12:13
And they're gone...
Damn, I thought I had a line on one or two.
Anybody know of one or two of these at a reasonable price, please let me know and thanks in advance.

~tp

dwhitehorne
01-08-09, 14:58
Here is the short list:

Tight Chambers
Castle nut not staked

C4

Also some of the early 4 digit SN models like one I have require a taller front sight post even though the front sight assembly is F marked. To zero a 50 yards the front sight post is about a 1/4 of an inch higher than the front protective ears. David