PDA

View Full Version : ALL LEO'S

.357sigger
01-05-09, 21:16
It has been a while since I posted on here and I have a good reason...I have been testing for my local police academy. After 8 months of testing and interviews I have been accepted. :D:D:D:D I actually start on Monday the 12th. For all of the LEO out there I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice for my 6 month ride in the academy and the career ahead. Any and all input or advice is welcomed...

warpigM-4
01-05-09, 21:38
Not LEO yet~I am looking to take the test this year,But way to go:D .Be safe out there keep your eyes and ears open, always vest up ,Look at the academy the way I did at Basic in the army. A million guys have been here and made it through here before me and I will to.Good luck!!

PRGGodfather
01-05-09, 22:43
Congratulations! Well done!

Well, after 23 years in this business and making it to Lieutenant, I will keep it pretty simple:

Keep your eyes and ears open.
Only answer something if asked.
There are only four responses: Yes, sir. No, sir. No excuse, sir. I will find out, sir.

You don't need to be first, but you definitely don't want to be last, either. I've seen plenty of the Top Students at the Academy fail Field Training. Just take it all one day at a time.

The academy is an artificial training environment. Not everything you will learn applies to real life. Most of us have to unlearn some of our academy training when we actually hit the street.

Again, good job! It's not easy getting hired in this litigious environment.

Good luck, and be safe!

PRGGodfather
01-05-09, 22:44
Oops. Database Error.

TUNNEL RAT 33
01-05-09, 23:40
congrats - goodluck - everything what PRGGODFATHER said is right on !! the real learning happens if and when you graduate .

ST911
01-06-09, 01:46
It has been a while since I posted on here and I have a good reason...I have been testing for my local police academy. After 8 months of testing and interviews I have been accepted. :D:D:D:D I actually start on Monday the 12th. For all of the LEO out there I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips or advice for my 6 month ride in the academy and the career ahead. Any and all input or advice is welcomed...

Mind your mouth.
Mind your booze.
Mind your zipper.

Yes sir, no sir, three bag bags full sir.

You know nothing. Don't think otherwise for quite some time.

Whatever interesting things you might have done prior to this aren't relevant.

Gentoo
01-06-09, 02:52
Don't be an asshole to dispatch. Believe it or not, those voices on the radio come from actual people.

ZDL
01-06-09, 03:02
Everyone has already covered it. Pay close attention to what they are saying. Particularly the "you don't know shit now shut up" stuff. Even though you might be an expert in a particular area..... you ain't... Get the drift? It takes a long time for some people to figure that out. Also, it's only 6 months. Grind it out. It'll be over soon.

Congrats and good luck brother.

Eric
01-06-09, 05:27
Mind your mouth.
Mind your booze.
Mind your zipper.

Ain't that the truth! It should go without saying, but I have seen guys get tanked for some ridiculous stuff. This applies to after FTO/Probation as well. In addition to the usual tactics, law, procedures, etc., pay attention to report writing. So much of what we do comes down to putting it on paper. We can fine tune you writing skills, but if you have none, it's not going to work out.

Good luck!

mark5pt56
01-06-09, 07:02
Congratulations! All good points here so far. When you get out there, know in your mind before you do something if it's right and you can articulate it. You have to make some hard decisions and you need to know what you can and cannot do. Don't let people influence you in bad ways, Police and bad people.
Treat people how you would want a family member treated.
Be decisive and when you have to do something, do it right and with authority-carry yourself and project it with respect.

You can still be "nice" to the bad guy while doing whatever you need to do in order to accomplish your mission. In the end, if you acted properly and he's in the ER, so be it.

Learn how to speak with various people, you can do it without cussing and name calling and all can understand. Tell them what you are doing and what you are going to do, I've found they are less apprehensive when they know what's going to happen with them.

And last but not least-depending--DON'T PISS OFF THE SERGEANT:cool:

nighthawk756
01-06-09, 08:51
Everything's pretty much been covered. I'll just echo the fact of while in the academy...no need to be first but absolutely don't be last. Just shut up and listen and do what your told. In my class, half the time they would forget I was even there becuase I just did what I was told and didn't bring any undue attention to myself.

And the physical stuff, well, it's just physical stuff. Grind it out and just remember, every day completed is one less to go.

On the street, listen to your FTO. Watch him and learn. If it's like our FTO program you ride with at least 2 FTO's. That way you can take different tactics from each officer and come up with your way to do things the right way. Certain things one officer may handle something might fit you better than the other one and vice versa. But overall, listen and learn.

Congrats and good luck.

czydj
01-06-09, 10:04
Here's a suggestion - Be a regular guy.

A buddy crashed his bike this weekend, he was hit by a deer that hunters flushed out of the woods with their dogs. He was doing about 60mph when he was thrown to the ashphalt and was pretty shaken up. He was refusing EMT help, but he wanted to "lie down" while we waited for someone to go get their truck with a trailer so we could haul the wreck away. We made him comfortable on the side of the road with some ground cover and jackets, but he looked like crap. He was gray, shaking and not talking much.

Here's the cool part, the Deputy that showed up was patient, calm, cool and collected. He demanded nothing and showed a great deal of concern for my friend laying on the ground. That Deputy stayed with us and shot the sh!t for almost an hour, talking about riding, rifles, crazy ammo prices and life in general. He was a regular guy standing there with us and after a while, most of us forgot he was a LEO! (evidenced by one of the riders talking about what "the cops" would do in xyz situation...)

He wasn't in a hurry to go anywhere because he wanted to make sure my buddy got up and started moving around before he left with the radio. He saw his condition and was standing by to render assistance if need be. It wasn't until the downed rider got up and started moving around, gaining his color back and talking with the Deputy that he started to work his way toward his cruiser for a slow exit.

I know there are a lot of LEO's out there that would do the same and I hope you become one of 'em...

g5m
01-07-09, 10:41
Congratulations!
I'm not LEO but the advice on this thread will help anyone embarking on a new career.

10MMGary
01-07-09, 10:52
Mind your mouth.
Mind your booze.
Mind your zipper.

Yes sir, no sir, three bag bags full sir.

You know nothing. Don't think otherwise for quite some time.

Whatever interesting things you might have done prior to this aren't relevant.

Outstanding post, damn good advice! Those six lines could get people from all walks of life very far in this world.

357sigger good luck stay fit and let us know how it is going.

markm
01-07-09, 11:38
Tell the instructors you don't like how the Glock "FEELS" in your hands.

Then ask them when you qual on Patrol Rifle if you can put a Hogue rubber grip on your weapon!

They really like high maintenance recruits!

lonewolf21
01-07-09, 11:48
it has only been three years since i was in my academy, so its all still fresh in my head (nightmares, cold sweats, etc.) lol. youll make friends in the academy, some will be there all through your carreer, some will be your friend during the academy and when they get out on the street, they may join there own "click" and never pay attention to you again. i had a good friend in the academy and after graduation, we were assigned to different divisions. about 3 months later i saw him in the detective office and he acted like he didnt know me and was too good to talk to me, Asshole. just realize that the dept. will change you in many ways. good and bad. but like the others say just keep your nose clean and stay out of trouble until your out of your probational period. also, in my class there were alot of guys who would so called "study" after class. this consisted of drinking and chasing women. none of them got in any trouble during the academy, but, it became well known throughtout the dept. and they would catch heat from senior guards who thought that they werent taking it seriously enough. just remember your peers can get you in trouble, so use your head and be smart about your decisions. especially during the academy.

bpd315
01-07-09, 13:12
Your badge will get you women
Women will get your badge. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Take care of the hands that take care of you. From the janitor right on up. You never know who will be the one to speak up for you and tell the truth. This will keep you out of the Old Man's office.

You will know nothing for about 5 years. People who have been humping the road for 15 years really don't think you have an opinion. it's nothing personal, we've all been there. Open your ears and eyes and keep your mouth out of gear.

Never forget you are dealing with people. Some of them not worthy of sucking air, but people all the same.

if it walks like a duck, acts like a duck, it's probably a duck.

One final story that was told to me in FTO almost 16 years ago:

A little girl was walking through the woods one winter. it was cold, snow on the ground. Freezing. She came upon a snake laying there, dying. She picked the snake up and put in in her jacket. Kept it warm and fed it. Nursed it back to health through the winter.

Spring came and the snow melted. The little girl took the snake out of her jacket. the snake immediately bit her on the hand. The little girl, heartbroken, said, "How could you? after all i have done for you and kept you alive, how could you bite me like that?" The snake replied, "stupid bitch, you knew I was a snake when you picked me up."

Don't just read the story, understand it. You'll do fine.

Red

lalakai
01-07-09, 13:32
you have 10 seconds to make a good first impression.

it takes a lifetime to build a rep and 2 seconds to loose it.

Be the Humblest of the Proud, and the Proudest of the Humble.

Learn the difference between: The Letter of the Law, and the Spirit of the Law

once you put the uniform on, normal rules of civility and social norms do not apply to you; a higher level comes with the badge.

Never do something that you wouldn't be proud to tell your children.

.....and Smile!!! you made the first hurdle. congrats.

nickdrak
01-07-09, 13:33
*You are NOT entitled to ANYTHING due to your Law Enforcement Officer status. You are NOT "Better" than those that you will take an oath to serve and protect.

OFFICER SAFETY is paramount. While you will have FTO's that will tell you how important it is, rarely will you have one that actually practices what he/she preaches. DO NOT discount this fact. They WILL pass along their bad habits to you, if you allow them to.

DO NOT allow others bad habits dictate how you operate in terms of how you deal with people on your traffic stops, terry stops, etc.

If you are backing someone up, and you notice something that is not right, CORRECT IT!!! (Before you, or the civilian you are checking or speaking to gets hurt or killed)

Learn how to talk to people if you dont already possess that skill. Dont loose your mind out on the street because you are dealing with some drunk with a hyper-active mouth.

In terms of training: Unless you work for that extremely rare agency that is truly progressive about training their officers in relevant/useful material, you will need to search out good training for yourself, and pay for it out of your own pocket. That is, if you want to be prepared for the fight.

Ofc.JL
01-08-09, 14:17
.357sigger,
I was going to chime in and give my $.02, but all of the previous advice is spot-on. With my Military time and LE time, I have approx. 40 years experience. I am still serving a Military role with a Commission in my state's Guard as a reservist(Got hurt going AIRBORNE! and wasn't able to go back to active duty. Always regretted it, too!) And I am a full time LEO as a Marshal for my city. I can tell you that ALL of the information that everybody has given you is VERY GOOD. FOLLOW IT! I can't add anything to what these men have told you. You can do this and make the ranks of the Thin Blue Line. Good Luck and God Bless. :p

ZDL
01-08-09, 15:38
oh yeah. Final word of advice from a LEO.

Be a firefighter.

C5CE
01-08-09, 18:24
Integrity and discretion. NEVER forget them.

Stay away, as much as possible, from the disguntled. They are the ones who talk about how bad things are, how the sups suk, the job sux.....they are easy to find!! Don't let them influence you.

Enjoy your new career!!!

signal4l
01-08-09, 18:36
1. Abandon the concept that it is the best and brightest that get promoted.

2. Enjoy life as a patrolman. It is, in my opinion, the best job most municipal departments have to offer.

3. Dont get fat

4. Dont treat your wife like shit.

5. Try to leave work at work.

6. Have non cop friends

7. Train

8. Remember #1

9. Spend less money than you make

George Mac
01-08-09, 18:59
big ears, small mouth.

C-Fish
01-08-09, 19:15
Congrats, one of my employees just left our company to join the academy in NM.

He was hired by APD. Can't wait to visit him in uniform and have some BBQ...

MichaelJ
01-08-09, 19:26
Congratulations! Well done!

Well, after 23 years in this business and making it to Lieutenant, I will keep it pretty simple:

Keep your eyes and ears open.
Only answer something if asked.
There are only four responses: Yes, sir. No, sir. No excuse, sir. I will find out, sir.

You don't need to be first, but you definitely don't want to be last, either. I've seen plenty of the Top Students at the Academy fail Field Training. Just take it all one day at a time.

The academy is an artificial training environment. Not everything you will learn applies to real life. Most of us have to unlearn some of our academy training when we actually hit the street.

Again, good job! It's not easy getting hired in this litigious environment.

Good luck, and be safe!

you have 10 seconds to make a good first impression.

it takes a lifetime to build a rep and 2 seconds to loose it.

Be the Humblest of the Proud, and the Proudest of the Humble.

Learn the difference between: The Letter of the Law, and the Spirit of the Law

once you put the uniform on, normal rules of civility and social norms do not apply to you; a higher level comes with the badge.

Never do something that you wouldn't be proud to tell your children.

.....and Smile!!! you made the first hurdle. congrats.

2. Enjoy life as a patrolman. It is, in my opinion, the best job most municipal departments have to offer.

3. Dont get fat

6. Have non cop friends

7. Train

8. Remember #1

+1. Also, Don't take ANYTHING personal. The academy is just a mental game to prepare you for things that you CANNOT imagine happening to you in the future but being prepared to handle them mentally. As stated above, don't stand out...if you finish first, you must always finish first or be labeled as "slacking off"...finish last and well...that is self explanatory. Be the middle of the pack and ALWAYS help your classmates with ANYTHING that you can because the best officers ALWAYS backup their partners...even if they don't like them personally off the clock.

Keep a low profile, do your homework, stay in shape, eat healthy (this will actually provide you with the much needed energy to get through the day because you don't want to nod off at any point during the day), get enough sleep at night (the game will be replayed on sports center, your buddies will be going out another night, etc.), don't quit...but if your heart isn't in it...just leave because someday you might be backing me up and I don't want anyone with half a heart in the job to back me up.

Good luck, stay safe and congrats!

p.s. - Remember ... start and end all sentences with sir/ma'am, don't "eyeball", speak when spoken to and study/practice in your personal time. Remember that EVERYTHING they do is for a reason and you will see it someday. Defensive tactics will save your life on the street, but report writing will save your ass on the stand/IA office/etc. BE HONEST!...you only get one chance at it.

Tipy
01-08-09, 19:55
Officers lied when they shouldn't have. Stupid stuff, poked a hole in the seat of the new patrol car and went in and lied about it. Take a hit and tell the truth and keep your honesty.
Idiots scratch the patrol car and go and get typewriter whiteout and cover the scratch and dump it on the next shift.
Don't do those things and for gods sake don't act stupid. Harassing a dirtbag in handcuffs and then find out two months later that the suspect had a recorder on him that was found incident to the arrest, but not turned off. If the dumbass (cop) hadn't acted the fool, he wouldn't have to worry about someone recording or video taping.
Don't voice an opinion when you could have kept your mouth shut.
Sgts. and shift supervisors know who the bullshit artist are.
Tell the truth in court even if you have to take a hit for it.
Be nice to your records clerk, dispatchers, payroll employees, and parking officers and staff, but don't kiss ass.
Don't belittle the arrestee's, you may meet them later in your career.
Hell give the guys you transport to jail fifty cents so they can make a phone call when they get into jail. I had a guy standing in line at 7-11 start giving me shit about a six month old arrest I had made. Another guy I had arrested was standing in line behind me and stepped forward and told the shithead "leave him alone, he's a good officer". Treat people, suspects, victims, witnesses like you would want to be treated, but for god's sake be safe. Handcuff first and then search. Subscribe to law enforcement journals and read them. Stop drinking totally. Cops get DUI's. Don't screw around on your wife/girlfriend and then ask other ofcs. to cover for you.
Obey the dept rules. If you can't carry off duty when you are a probationary officer, don't do it. Keep your paperwork extra neat and get a good reputation for doing so. Learn how to do very good traffic accident reports, that will prepare you for being a det.. Become a computer nut.
DONT TALK ABOUT FAMILY AND PERSONEL STUFF IN FRONT OF SUSPECTS AND WITNESSES, they will rmemeber your wifes name and where you live.
Become a gun nut, but don't talk about it, dept staff will remember the "gun nut".

Longhorn
01-08-09, 21:07
.357sigger, congrats on this.

I don't mean to hijack but as my name implies I'm trying to become a Texas DPS Trooper, and start my endeavour on 1/12 for the first part of my acceptance into the Academy.

So I'm sure you're appreciative of the words of wisdom offered by others within this thread but I am too.

Stay safe, and good luck in the future.

iroc_dis
01-09-09, 13:14
Learn how to talk to people if you dont already possess that skill. Dont loose your mind out on the street because you are dealing with some drunk with a hyper-active mouth.

I've been LE for about a year and a half now and this is probably the biggest thing that I've come upon. If you can't talk to people before you start, you are going to need to learn to really really quick. You'll end up talking to all manner of people. Otherwise, have fun and good luck!

ZDL
01-09-09, 13:50
You were asking for academy advice on the onset. That's all been covered. My be a FF comment was a quasi joke. The public's reaction to them stands in stark contrast to us so often it becomes funny. I had one the day before I wrote that so it was fresh in my mind.

Career advice: Be nice till it's time not to be nice.

ST911
01-09-09, 15:47
Some other thoughts:

- Leave the job at work. Be a regular Joe, with accomodations for preparedness and the warrior within, but endeavor to be as dull as everyone else.

- Related to the above, don't get involved in things off-duty.

- Never badmouth the boss. If you disagree with something established by those more important than you, do so with them directly behind closed doors. The guy at the breakfast table you think is your buddy won't be when the conversation is overheard by others.

- Make your boss look good. Do what you can to represent him, and his office, well. Then your agency, profession, and self thereafter. Keeping the boss happy with you is critical to success.

- Gather insurance. Watch for useful things along the way to store away in case of adverse personnel action or other unfortunate circumstance where a bit of just self-defense might be needed. There will be those around who will generate substanital quantities of it. Bolster it with audio, video, and documentation when possible. Such things are more useful than you realize.

- Remember those who have been helpful to you. Remember those who haven't.

- Turn the other cheek whenever you can. Some battles, some injustices, some annoyances, just aren't worth the time. But do learn the difference between turning the other cheek, and taking it in the rear.

AirTrafficControl
01-09-09, 18:54
brush up on your doughnut eating skills!!!!

j/k good luck bro keep the street safe...ATC

imua
01-09-09, 21:21
First rule the FTO is always right, except if he is committing a violation of the law. Never bad mouth a FTO to another FTO. One FTO may do things different than another FTO. Usually that is personal preference. The most important thing is say yes and get along. Reputation is always important in this field. Just remember is a PD there are numerous oppurtunities. You can work Traffic, Detectives and Narcotics. Take all the schooling the agencies gives you. If there is a specific field you are interested, show your intererst. Remeber you carrier is just starting.

Mine is on the down side, 30 years later. I have had the oppurtunity to work most jobs, from patrol, swat, dive and narcotics. :D

Good luck and stay safe.:p

.357sigger
01-10-09, 23:10
Well I just got done ironing my uniforms and polishing my boots for an hour. All of the replies in this thread are wonderful. All of the given advice makes sense and I will take it to heart. I want to go into the academy like acting like a sponge, absorbing as much info as I can. The half dozen friends that I have in LE have all mentioned some of the same things that have been said here. They are all great guys (and one girl)...if advice reflects character and the type of person that you are...everyone that has replied to this thread is a stand up individual. :D

Thanks to all that have replied! Keep any comments and advice coming. I am sure this thread will be of help to others as well...

trunkmonkey
01-11-09, 16:54
If you make it.........Remember who you were before you got the badge.

96GTS
01-15-09, 12:35
Officers lied when they shouldn't have. Stupid stuff, poked a hole in the seat of the new patrol car and went in and lied about it. Take a hit and tell the truth and keep your honesty.
Idiots scratch the patrol car and go and get typewriter whiteout and cover the scratch and dump it on the next shift.
Don't do those things and for gods sake don't act stupid. Harassing a dirtbag in handcuffs and then find out two months later that the suspect had a recorder on him that was found incident to the arrest, but not turned off. If the dumbass (cop) hadn't acted the fool, he wouldn't have to worry about someone recording or video taping.
Don't voice an opinion when you could have kept your mouth shut.
Sgts. and shift supervisors know who the bullshit artist are.
Tell the truth in court even if you have to take a hit for it.
Be nice to your records clerk, dispatchers, payroll employees, and parking officers and staff, but don't kiss ass.
Don't belittle the arrestee's, you may meet them later in your career.
Hell give the guys you transport to jail fifty cents so they can make a phone call when they get into jail. I had a guy standing in line at 7-11 start giving me shit about a six month old arrest I had made. Another guy I had arrested was standing in line behind me and stepped forward and told the shithead "leave him alone, he's a good officer". Treat people, suspects, victims, witnesses like you would want to be treated, but for god's sake be safe. Handcuff first and then search. Subscribe to law enforcement journals and read them. Stop drinking totally. Cops get DUI's. Don't screw around on your wife/girlfriend and then ask other ofcs. to cover for you.
Obey the dept rules. If you can't carry off duty when you are a probationary officer, don't do it. Keep your paperwork extra neat and get a good reputation for doing so. Learn how to do very good traffic accident reports, that will prepare you for being a det.. Become a computer nut.
DONT TALK ABOUT FAMILY AND PERSONEL STUFF IN FRONT OF SUSPECTS AND WITNESSES, they will rmemeber your wifes name and where you live.
Become a gun nut, but don't talk about it, dept staff will remember the "gun nut".
Awesome post. Really agree w/ the personal talk in front of susp/inmates. That's one of my pet peeves. I've heard deps standing around the trunk of a car, talking about picking their little girl up from soccer practice at such and such middle school w/ suspects sunk in their back seat and the front windows are down. Incredible.

Its all been posted here. Academy sucks when your there, but once you're here, you realize it was a joke. Never got injured in the academy, but I've had staples/stiches/lumps/cuts/OC spray (from another dep, still have NO clue why she sprayed BOTH of us when I was wrestling with the guy:mad: ) out here. I'm young so I get alot of flak for that, but I just nod/smile and life goes on.

Best advice I got was from my locker. Previous occupant wrote "Just have fun with it...." on the back of the locker door. Read that every day as I vest up.

Congrats on the Academy.

Brock Landers
01-15-09, 12:56
+1 on Honesty.

If you're ever officially caught lying, your career is over. You will never be able to testify in court.

While in the academy, prepare for more "First Day's." Remember, the quicker your recruit class comes together as a team, the "easier" it gets. However, any major slip up, you'll be reliving the "first day."

And for the love of God. If you have a myspace page or facebook page, get rid of it. You don't need any mopes looking up your personal information.

pgpd3147
01-15-09, 17:17
-Have fun with it! It's already going to be stressful enough.
-Remember you aren't going to know everything once you finish FTO and its OK.
-Study your general orders, criminal law, and traffic law. This will help you become more proficient in the job.
-Stay in shape. We are losing to many police officers due to heart attacks and other health related issues that could be prevented.
-DON'T EAT DONUTS IN UNIFORM

Congrats on being accepted into the academy and good luck.

Saginaw79
01-15-09, 17:25
Congratulations. Im tempted to go back myself. Seems theres a bad attitude in so many young LE so Im torn on either going back to lend some levity to the situation or so disgusted by their attitudes I cant contemplate putting a badge on again...

Havnt decided yet. :confused:

ETA: Also theres some real good info in this thread so take it to heart, Ill add one more though...just remember, your'e there to serve, not lord over people! :)

96GTS
01-15-09, 18:19
Not my class, but here's a "Black Monday"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IURHfFIqbGs&feature=related
:p

Abraxas
01-15-09, 19:10

3. Dont get fat

6. Have non cop friends

7. Train

8. Remember #1

Is this not for every job?;)

Littlelebowski
01-23-09, 10:00
If you make it.........Remember who you were before you got the badge.

So that they'll take it easy on "pipe hitters" such as yourself?