PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power

CJGarza
01-05-09, 23:41
I tried the search function but I got a "Database Error" so please forgive me if this question(s) have been covered before.

I will be receiving a Browning Hi Power very soon. It has the external extractor and was apparently a former Israeli gun. Of course it is in 9mm.

This pistol, like all of my pistols (except for .22's) has to be able to function as a self defense weapon in a pinch. So it's viability as a defense arm is important to me.

I know that it has been a while since Israel used BHP's (they went to Sigs and now use Glocks). I also know this was the first double stack handgun. Other than that my knowledge of these pistols is limited.

My questions are:

1) Can these pistols shoot JHP ammunition? I know that +P is a No-No but what about 147Grain JHP?

2) I know that parts have to be plentiful (gun has been in production for a loooong time). What kind of mantainance ritual should I follow? After how many rounds should I replace springs for example?

3) Any major weak points I should look for? Pins that break easilly for example? What should I check for in the pistol when I receive it for example?

4) Can anyone tell me the difference between Browinig Hi Power, Inglis Hi Power and FN Hi Power?

5) I paid $495 for the gun, 3 mags (original) a IWB holster and 3 sets of grips. From what I could gather online, this looks like a decent deal. How'd I do?

This gun will NOT replace my other 9mm's (P228, Glock 19 and P2000) but I am definitly thinking about getting rid of my Sigpro's (can't warm up to them). Would anyone do differently?

Thanks guys. Nice to find a forum of SHOOTERS rather than COLLECTORS.

Buck
01-06-09, 00:26
The BHP is a great handgun and it will handle just about any ammo you feed it... However; if you are planning on using ANY surplus military firearm for self defense, I would have a reliable pistol smith who is knowledgeable about such things give it the once over…

There may be other smiths out there, but for a BHP that I would be willing to bet my life on, I would send it to Novak to get checked out…

Just my .O2

B

Aray
01-06-09, 06:41
My Hi Power has yet to find an ammunition it will not run. +P can be used with an 18.5# recoil spring according to Stephan A Camp.

JonInWA
01-06-09, 07:33
You're not really giving us enough specific information about the gun to give you other than a very general response. Israel used a number of Hi-Powers, both FN-built and an indigenous clone (which came in two varients as it evolved).

If it's an older Hi-Power with a "humped" feed ramp, you may experience difficulties in chambering hollowpoints. It may also have miniscule sights and small safety levers. If it's a newer varient (Mk II or Mk III) you'll be fine.

When you get it, if you can attach a photo(s) we can be more specific. In the meantime, what I'd suggest is that you go to www.hipowersandhandguns.com to bring yourself up to speed. Stephen Camp has an excellent book, available through the website, named "The Shooter's Guide To the Hi-Power"-I highly recommend it.

Whatever you get, I'd recommend that you immediately replace the recoil spring and all magazine springs as preventive maintenance. I'd also have your gunsmith thoroughly go through the gun for functioning and safety.

Best, Jon

imua
01-09-09, 21:26
I carried one for swat. Some of the things I had done on my BP is removal of the magazine safety and ramping the feed ramp to accept the 147 G bullet. We used the 147 on the team. I regret getting rid of mine. If you have big hands I would look at a Beaver tail set up and putting larger thumb safety release.

Also never carry the weapon in half cock especially if you have a round in the chamber. The half cock is made to stop the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

Federale
01-10-09, 09:44
I have a Belgian Hipower and while it hasn't seen a ton of use, it has fed any ammunition I've fed it. The majority of which has been 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots (I have a good source for this ammunition). But its also seen some Hydrashoks and a variety of FMJ ammunition too.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/Browning/DSC00375.jpg

It was originally built in 1987 and I found it sitting, used (but pretty much unused) in the display cabinet. I picked it up and after putting several hundred rounds through it to check basic function, I installed some C&S parts myself. The original hammer did bite me a few times and the trigger was mediocre, so I went with the C&S parts and learned a lot about the Hipower by installing them. I checked function again and it seemed fine, except for the tiny little sights. So I sent it off to Novaks and while it was there, I had it overhauled.

This is how it came back.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/Browning/DSC00578-1.jpg

I had Novak sights installed and they did their reliability and trigger packages done. They reblued it because of the sight install. Unlike a Colt Commander I had them modify pretty heavily (and they did a great job with), I went basic with the Hipower. I wanted it to be reliable with a good trigger and sights. Its a range gun, not a carry gun for me.

The one thing that you'll definitely notice is that this pistol gets really hot, really fast.

CJGarza
01-11-09, 17:04
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will be posting pics as soon as I get my hands on it.

That site www.hipowersandhandguns.com is very interesting and has lots of useful information. Gonna have to find this guy's book.

I also went ahead and picked up a new recoil spring for it but am having trouble finding mag springs. Can anyone point me in the right direstion?

BTW Federale, that is without a doubt one of the nicest Hi-Powers I have ever seen!! Though I may not do much to mine in the way of customization, with the exception of mabe nice grips and changing the hammer (I want to shoot it before doing anything).

Federale
01-11-09, 17:17
Thanks. Good luck with yours. I think you'll like it.

Brownells is a good place to check for parts (and mags). For mag springs, check under pistol parts, springs for the BHP. Cylinder and Slide makes good parts kits as well. They've also got an assortment of grips too.

Scattergun
01-11-09, 18:01
The Inglis Hi-Power is cut for shoulder stock and has Tangnet sights and was made in CANADA

DocGKR
01-11-09, 18:08
A previous post about the HP is here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20590

tex45acp
01-25-09, 12:13
I can run anything except American Eagle with the Truncated Cone type bullet in my BHP, and it is most accurate with 124gr HydraShoks. I dont care for the American Eagle ammo anyway, so it is no biggie for me.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/mike_seale/BHPTUCKER3.jpg

RyanB
01-29-09, 21:57
I purchased a custom (SRT) BHP from Jason Burton. I've not trained with it so what I can comment on is limited. What I will say is that Burton and Ted Yost agree that +P should be used in limited quantities, and 147s should be avoided. I was told that they wear guns prematurely. If your agency is buying stock guns when they wear out, go for it. In my $2700 BHP I shoot 115s for practice and keep 124+Ps for defense. They shoot to the same point of impact at 20 yards. Exactly the same.

Looking forward to training with and carrying this weapon.