PDA

View Full Version : If you could have only one pistol?

Irfan
01-11-24, 15:29
Hello Everyone! I know this has been asked before so I apologize, but some of us like to read and participate in such discussions. The question is: if you could only have only one handgun for the rest of your life, which gun would you choose? Personally, I would probably choose the G17, although I hesitate between it and one of the CZ-75 models precisely because of the steel/metal frame, which may still be better in the long run and when the gun may serve as an heirloom. Although I wouldn't mind if it was a 92, P226, or USP. What would you choose?

markm
01-11-24, 15:52
G22 is effectively my only pistol. (I have a few others, but not carry worthy guns 1911, Hi-Power, etc.) I've had that damned thing for like 25 years. G17 would be good too, but it would have to be Gen 1 or 2 before they completely fukked up the extractor. I had a bad G17.

Heavyweight
01-11-24, 16:31
If I can only have one I will need it for both two legged and four legged creatures. So I’m going with my Glock 20. I’ve had the gen 3 pistol since like 2000 and I don’t think it’s jammed yet. I might go with the gen 5 MOS…..maybe. Just so I would have the red dot option. But it would be the 20 for sure. All my Glocks have been bomb proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
01-11-24, 19:48
Same thing I told people 30 years ago when they asked me what their first pistol should be.

G19, good sights, five factory mags, a case of Speer ammo, and a class from a good pistol instructor.

Two grand and you are off to the races.

SteyrAUG
01-11-24, 20:01
Just one? It's gonna be something that can be a weapon platform (light and suppressor) so either my HK 45 or my 226 Tac.

https://i.imgur.com/0ffHQPU.jpg

matemike
01-11-24, 22:41
While I love shooting my 226 and FS92 more than any other pistols I have. Especially suppressed.
And I love shooting my Colt 1911 Gov't 45 ACP as well.

I have to say I would need to keep my 19X forever and ever. It carries in all my G19 holsters, but holds a couple more rounds, and it will just run and run and run like all my glocks.

yoni
01-12-24, 04:07
I am having a Hi Power 40S&W built by MK3 out of Vegas, it will have 3 barrels. The stock barrel, extended KKM 357sig, KKM 9mm. So if this pistol turns out as good as I think it is going to, it might be a contender.

If not then my sort of Glock 35 also with 357 sig barrel and a 9mm barrel, it has a Grey ghost Precision frame. It also has a great 3 pound trigger in it.

pag23
01-12-24, 05:20
Shadow Systems MR920 with an optic and WML.....the reliability of a Glock with the availability of spare parts. Upgraded ergos and very flat shooting

MegademiC
01-12-24, 07:56
G48 or shield + so I could carry it everywhere.

Or just budget in for another pistol.

Texaspoff
01-12-24, 08:31
Shadow Systems MR920, or Glock Gen5 G19. Either one would work for me as a do everything platform.

TXPO

markm
01-12-24, 08:36
Now if money was no object, the Alien Creator would be it. But since $7000 is a tough pill for a single pistol, I'll keep the G22 for now.

Heavyweight
01-12-24, 10:25
Now if money was no object, the Alien Creator would be it. But since $7000 is a tough pill for a single pistol, I'll keep the G22 for now.

That thing looks absolutely amazing. I’d kill just to put a few rounds through one. That recoil impulse looks sweet. Almost no flip….just a push back.

markm
01-12-24, 10:43
That thing looks absolutely amazing. I’d kill just to put a few rounds through one. That recoil impulse looks sweet. Almost no flip….just a push back.

Agreed! I've kicked around ways to fund this thing, but it's a tough justification. I don't even like shooting pistol that much, but this thing is amazing. PLUS.. they have the RDS nightmare greatly improved... battery life is the only remaining concern.

kerplode
01-12-24, 11:13
If I could only have one pistol, I'd take up golf...If I'm gonna be bored AF, I might as well get some walking in.

Pappabear
01-12-24, 13:35
I would probably have to go HK P30 for reliability and longevity. Maybe P30L, but either is fine by me. I wouldn't be upset with a Sig legion 229/226 either.

PB

Pappabear
01-12-24, 13:37
If I could only have one pistol, I'd take up golf...If I'm gonna be bored AF, I might as well get some walking in.

My man, speaking to my heart. I change guns all the time in Steel challenge and USPSA, I know I should not but I can't help myself. Why have them if your not going to shoot them. Im not much of a collector. I took my P30L to the range this week because it has sat too long. Loaded a sleeve of 15/17 round mags and went to work.

PB

markm
01-12-24, 13:52

If I ever see myself Golfing, I'll only need one pistol to off myself! :sarcastic:

Heavyweight
01-12-24, 16:26
If I ever see myself Golfing, I'll only need one pistol to off myself! :sarcastic:

Man you got that right…..watching all my buddies lose their shit over that little white ball. No thanks. I’d rather have a new pistol than a new driver any day!

gaijin
01-12-24, 17:10

Truth.

01-12-24, 17:20
G45 would be my choice.

HKGuns
01-12-24, 18:36
Well, I avoided rolling in here pissing on the gLocK partay, so I suppose I'm just a pussy.

You'd never get me down to only one pistol. But as I look at the walls, as much as I want to pick one of my HK's, it would probably be the MK25 for many of the reasons SAUG stated above.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3536305855-5.jpg

ThirdWatcher
01-12-24, 18:58
I’ve acquired quite a collection over the years (to include a couple HK Mark 23’s) but the handgun I’ve gravitated to is a S&W M442-2 (.38 Special no lock). I’ve been carrying J Frames for almost fifty years and I’ve never had any problem qualifying with them and it’s strictly for self-defense. I also have a M340PD (.357) to back it up. I’ve also got a couple truck guns but I’d part with that little Centennial Airweight last. (I know they’re revolvers, not pistols but I’m old school, I carried a S&W M28-2 (6”) with eighteen rounds total for
the first decade of my career in civilian LE.)

SteyrAUG
01-12-24, 19:34
You'd never get me down to only one pistol.

Why I picked the one that would most likely lead to getting additional handguns.

dobegrant
01-12-24, 20:19
Glock 19 gen3, I have carried for past 30 years

titsonritz
01-12-24, 22:15
Glock 19 Gen 3 would be my choice as well, I have a few of them.

Heavyweight
01-13-24, 07:58
I’m changing my answer. I shot my new P226 yesterday in .357 Sig and .40 S&W. I’m in love with it! If I can find a used Sig X-change kit in 9mm I will have the trifecta! That’s my one.

StainlessSteelRat
01-13-24, 09:23
If someone is telling me I have to turn in all my handguns save one, it's time to grab a rifle.

5.56Geo
01-13-24, 09:40
"All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be 9mm, and all Glock 9mms should be 19s." -James Yeager RIP

Glocks are not my favorite. However, I would have to choose a stock Glock Gen3. I shoot it well, magazine capacity is adequate, and replacement parts are plentiful.

Korgs130
01-13-24, 09:47
My favorite Glock is my G19X, but if I could only have one handgun I’d go with a G19 GEN5 MOS.

StainlessSteelRat
01-13-24, 10:01
I'd have to say my gen3 G19 as far as a pistol, but the last handgun I'd get rid of is an old S&W 586 I bought new. I just can't imagine getting rid of that one.

Ron3
01-13-24, 10:05
If I can't get a suppressor and can stock spare parts and get a frame if necessary, Beretta PX4 .40.

2nd choice if I can get a suppressor, plus the other caveats, an M&P 2.0 Compact .40.

No factory support or replacement frames available, all on me? Probably a 1911A1 .45.

Not trusting alluminum or a polymer frame not to break if I can never replace it.

C-grunt
01-13-24, 13:35
Id probably get a commander size 9mm 1911 from Wilson or Nighthawk. I love my Staccato C2, but I like the feel of a Staccato 1911 grip better.

ABNAK
01-13-24, 15:44
Glock 19

grizzman
01-13-24, 15:51
I don't understand all of the answers of Gen 3 Glock 19. I have an early Gen 3 23, and of all of my service-class pistols, it's the first one that I would eliminate. I have a 9mm barrel for it, but that doesn't change all of its other poor aspects.

Are current compact and full size Glocks dramatically better than Gen 3s?

It doesn't point well for me. The stock trigger was rather poor. The stock sights are lame. I shoot it decently well, but I shoot pretty much every other duty grade 9mm (composite or aluminum frame) pistol better.

My tentative vote goes to the Sig P226 Legion SAO.

G woody
01-13-24, 16:09

AYE !!!!!!

SteveL
01-13-24, 16:23
Either a DR920 or MR920, but maybe I'm a little biased.

ndmiller
01-13-24, 16:35
Glock 18, two of them (one on each hip) as it's a hypothetical and in mine they are plentiful and I'm ambidextrous.

Gary1911A1
01-13-24, 17:18
A steel frame Commander in 9MM as long as I can get enough spare parts to keep it running. I have enough tools and a beginner's knowledge to keep one running. I have build two full size 1911s' with a lot of patience, and reviewing my books and DVDs'. I wish Ruger would make their steel frame Commander in 9MM. It should be easy with them building a LWT Commander in 9MM already. This also assumes I can still get a lot of ammo for it.

SteyrAUG
01-13-24, 19:02
I don't understand all of the answers of Gen 3 Glock 19.

I suspect a lot of it is common usage means lots of parts and magazines out there in whatever doomsday scenario left a person with only one firearm.

henri
01-13-24, 21:19
Glock 34.

Beat Trash
01-14-24, 07:13
Glock 19 Gen 5

TriggerFish
01-14-24, 15:14
I will have to agree with SteyrAUG on the platform concept.
https://i.imgur.com/uRkPx09.jpg
I want as much versatility as possible so I’d stick with my metal scorpion.

ThirdWatcher
01-14-24, 18:48
Glock 18, two of them (one on each hip) as it's a hypothetical and in mine they are plentiful and I'm ambidextrous.

Nailed it! Go big or go home...

(BTW, I, too would have to use them on myself if I ever found myself playing “cow pasture pool” as it was called when I was growing up in the more rural part of DFW.)

HKGuns
01-16-24, 18:32
Ya'll are pretty boring, I was expecting at least ONE Hudson H9! :)

markm
01-16-24, 21:53
Ya'll are pretty boring, I was expecting at least ONE Hudson H9! :)

I wanted that pistol. It looked promising.

SpecWired
01-17-24, 01:33
For the longest time my default answer was Glock 19. Now it's Glock 45.

Heavyweight
01-17-24, 09:06
I wanted that pistol. It looked promising.

Mark….you dodged the proverbial bullet. I did buy one and it was nothing but trouble. For starters, it shoots low. I HATE a pistol that shoots low. Easy to fix right? Sight change….negative. NO other sights were available. There were rumors that M&P sights would fit but I never tried it. I had other problems. I had three parts break during the time I shot it. The extractor, ejector and slide release all broke. And you couldn’t buy spare parts so I had to send it to the factory each time. Whoever was producing their MIM parts sucked. All I can say about it was that it DID shoot very flat when it ran. But I suspect it had more to do with the weight of the gun than the low bore access. That sucker is very heavy for its size….like 36 oz.

I still have it. I haven’t put a single round through it since it came back from the factory the last time. I think I paid like $950 for it and I see the prices people are asking on Gunbroker and just shake my head. $1,500 for this piece of shit? Nope….I’m keeping mine. It’s my reminder not to be the beta tester.

WillBrink
01-17-24, 09:55
If literally could only own one? Probably a Glock 19 or 17 as they they are ubiquitous. Never owned a Glock, not a big fan, but that would likley be the choice under such conditions.

markm
01-17-24, 11:21
Mark….you dodged the proverbial bullet. I did buy one and it was nothing but trouble.

That sucks. It looked promising. And yeah, people would be nuts to pay a premium on GB for pistol with no factory support/parts replacement.

m1a_scoutguy
01-17-24, 11:24

I always said a golf course is a terrible waste of a good place to shoot! Dam, only 1, if it's the guns I have then I guess my 19X. There are plenty of parts, pieces, and mags floating around out there. My Staccato is up there but even though it has been flawless being what it is in the long run there could be issues, "maybe". My CZ P-07 is still close to my favorite pistol so this is a tough choice, are you sure we can't have just 3,LOL

markm
01-17-24, 12:01
I always said a golf course is a terrible waste of a good place to shoot!

I dream of being able to plop down on a nice grassy rifle range. We have a great shooting spot, but sand and rock and ants get old after a while.

HKGuns
01-17-24, 12:04
I dream of being able to plop down on a nice grassy rifle range. We have a great shooting spot, but sand and rock and ants get old after a while.

Don't sell your spot short. You guys are truly blessed being able to shoot at distance. Best I can normally do is 200 yards.

I watch those 9 hole range sessions and would give a lot to have access to a range like the one's they shoot at in TX.

markm
01-17-24, 12:51
Don't sell your spot short. You guys are truly blessed being able to shoot at distance. Best I can normally do is 200 yards.

I wish more guys from M4C would come shoot with us. I don't think we've had more than one local member come out.

If we lost our spot, we'd be screwed. I went back to my old shooting area, and it's got signs and trails blocked off, etc. Depressing.

Uncas47
01-17-24, 12:54
The one I'm wearing, 19X.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-24-24, 22:10
If I could only have one handgun it would be a smith and Wesson 442 or similar. If we are specifically talking autoloaders it would be a Beretta 92G-SD with HD style sights.

Watrdawg
01-25-24, 06:34
Shadow Systems MR920.

markm
01-25-24, 09:07
Shadow Systems MR920.

My son was eyeing that brand. I guess there's two ways of looking at this topic.

1. Pick a conservative, proven and practical solution. I.E. the G19 (BORING!), or

2. Pick the best pistol that you can get, price be damned. The Alien Creator.

For me, if just one. Might as well be the best one.

TriggerFish
01-25-24, 15:41
As for a 'non-boring' choice of a platform OneGun:
https://i.imgur.com/cgtkwBj.jpg
...and it does use 'boring' G17 mags of ANY size!

markm
01-25-24, 15:42

Appendix carry perfection! :cool:

TriggerFish
01-25-24, 16:10
A plus would be if you managed to shoot your johnson off you wouldn't be deaf as well.

SteyrAUG
01-25-24, 17:54
https://i.imgur.com/cgtkwBj.jpg
...and it does use 'boring' G17 mags of ANY size!

Wanted to like it but the weapon light options were crap.

Watrdawg
01-26-24, 06:39
My son was eyeing that brand. I guess there's two ways of looking at this topic.

1. Pick a conservative, proven and practical solution. I.E. the G19 (BORING!), or

2. Pick the best pistol that you can get, price be damned. The Alien Creator.

For me, if just one. Might as well be the best one.

I can see that point of view. I've had my MR920 for about a year now and put at least 1500 rounds down range with it. It's topped with a Holosun 508 and a Streamlight TLR-7A light. Overall I like it more than the G19 I had. It feels better in my hand. The grip modules give me a better fit than what the Glock. What originally brought me to the MR920 was that I wanted to mount a red dot on to my G19. I had a couple of different options. Send the slide off to be milled, Buy a MOS slide of just get a new MOS G19. Well when I looked at the MR920 it wasw already optic ready and I liked that I didn't need different mounting plates. I sold my G19 and almost paid for the MR920 outright. Worked for me and I carry it pretty much every day.

TriggerFish
01-26-24, 14:33
Agree on the MAXIM9 W.L. prob. This one has good W.L. + can but BAD RDS options
https://i.imgur.com/1WHy67M.jpg

jwfuhrman
01-26-24, 15:42
For the longest time my default answer was Glock 19. Now it's Glock 45.

Same. I also have a 19X I just sent off to have the slide milled for a 509T. Once that slide is back, I'm sending the G45 slide off for 509T as well. The fact you can make Gen 3 slides work on a Gen 5 frame, means I have 100000000000 and 1 options for slides as well, especially when you just buy PSA's Dagger slides for $250 with RMR cut's (swap the Gen 3 back plate for a Gen 5 and thats all you need to do to make GEn 3 slide fit Gen 5 frame).

01-26-24, 17:08
Same. I also have a 19X I just sent off to have the slide milled for a 509T. Once that slide is back, I'm sending the G45 slide off for 509T as well. The fact you can make Gen 3 slides work on a Gen 5 frame, means I have 100000000000 and 1 options for slides as well, especially when you just buy PSA's Dagger slides for $250 with RMR cut's (swap the Gen 3 back plate for a Gen 5 and thats all you need to do to make GEn 3 slide fit Gen 5 frame).

Just a backplate change? Is that the case for OEM Glock slides too?

SteyrAUG
01-26-24, 18:04
Agree on the MAXIM9 W.L. prob. This one has good W.L. + can but BAD RDS options
https://i.imgur.com/1WHy67M.jpg

For me, weapon lights on handguns are far more important than RDS. The FN USG was another handgun I owned and wanted to love. But when they declared the original "civie" ammo to be AP it just became a joke so I sold it. I wanted to love that 5.7 handgun so much it wasn't funny.

jwfuhrman
01-26-24, 20:35
Haven’t tried OEM slides but it should be the same. I’ll get a photo tomorrow of the dagger slide on my 19x frame.

titsonritz
01-26-24, 23:15
Just a backplate change? Is that the case for OEM Glock slides too?

That is what I understand.

SteveL
01-27-24, 01:00
I can see that point of view. I've had my MR920 for about a year now and put at least 1500 rounds down range with it. It's topped with a Holosun 508 and a Streamlight TLR-7A light. Overall I like it more than the G19 I had. It feels better in my hand. The grip modules give me a better fit than what the Glock. What originally brought me to the MR920 was that I wanted to mount a red dot on to my G19. I had a couple of different options. Send the slide off to be milled, Buy a MOS slide of just get a new MOS G19. Well when I looked at the MR920 it wasw already optic ready and I liked that I didn't need different mounting plates. I sold my G19 and almost paid for the MR920 outright. Worked for me and I carry it pretty much every day.

I believe the Shadow Systems optic mounting system is far superior to the MOS Glock system, no matter whose plate you use. Did you stay with the neutral backstrap or switch to the high or low one?

01-27-24, 11:45
That is what I understand.

Nice. Thanks.