PDA

View Full Version : AR10 or AR15 ?

NotPrey
01-06-09, 01:20
I'm looking for advise on a black rifle purchase. I'm looking for a weapon that would, in a pinch be able to defend a postion from distances greater then 100 yards that would have sufficient knock-down power. Ideally it would be suited for preventing a possible boarding attempt from non-professional soldiers.

It is likely that the weapon will never be used for it's intended purpose (I hope) but I will be shooting the weapon frequently for sport, enjoyment, and preparation. I'm presently considering an AR-10 (24 month waiting period?) or the more accessable AR-15. My concern is that that '15 will not have the power necessary. Thoughts?

mario
01-06-09, 05:51
Sounds like a DSA FAL would suit your needs. .308s make nice big holes. Another consideration should be a high end AK

markm
01-06-09, 07:58
This should be good.

C4IGrant
01-07-09, 09:05
I'm looking for advise on a black rifle purchase. I'm looking for a weapon that would, in a pinch be able to defend a postion from distances greater then 100 yards that would have sufficient knock-down power. Ideally it would be suited for preventing a possible boarding attempt from non-professional soldiers.

It is likely that the weapon will never be used for it's intended purpose (I hope) but I will be shooting the weapon frequently for sport, enjoyment, and preparation. I'm presently considering an AR-10 (24 month waiting period?) or the more accessable AR-15. My concern is that that '15 will not have the power necessary. Thoughts?

For home defense out to 500M, go with the AR. For longer range, I would go with an FAL or a bolt gun. To date, I have never seen a quality built AR-10.

C4

the_fallguy
01-07-09, 11:33
I am definitely not as qualified to answer your question as the previous posters, but I will share my reasoning with you;

I chose the AR15 for logistics purposes. It is the most common rifle among military and law enforcement, and there are mags and parts all over the place if I need to repair something - not to mention it is available right now, and a lot can happen in 24 months.

NotPrey
01-07-09, 11:47
For home defense out to 500M, go with the AR. For longer range, I would go with an FAL or a bolt gun. To date, I have never seen a quality built AR-10.

C4

When you say for home defense out to 500M go with an AR did you mean AR15 because they are built better (quality) then an AR-10?

C4IGrant
01-07-09, 11:49
When you say for home defense out to 500M go with an AR did you mean AR15 because they are built better (quality) then an AR-10?

AR-15.

C4

NotPrey
01-07-09, 12:04
Okay. I like the availability of the AR-15 and it sounds like AR-10's are generally not built well (which is a must). I would get the added benfit of a weapon where parts are more available. Sounds like I'm going with the AR-15. What about knock down power?

I heard that in the recent conflicts (Iraq, etc) the AR-15 lacked the power that was needed. Is this true?

C4IGrant
01-07-09, 12:13
Okay. I like the availability of the AR-15 and it sounds like AR-10's are generally not built well (which is a must). I would get the added benfit of a weapon where parts are more available. Sounds like I'm going with the AR-15. What about knock down power?

I heard that in the recent conflicts (Iraq, etc) the AR-15 lacked the power that was needed. Is this true?

Nock down power. Have you been watching to many Dirty Harry Movies??

As with anything, shot placement is VERY important (even with a 308). Remember that are NO MAGIC BULLETS!

The Military is generally stuck with either M193 or M855. Both rounds tend to be lacking. There is much better ammo out there for defensive use (75gr TAP, 77gr MK's, etc).

C4

NotPrey
01-07-09, 12:43
Hey, I like Dirty Harry.

Okay, I got your point and agree. I presently have two pistols, (45, 9mm), a shotgun, and my wife has a .38. and am looking for something that has a little more range but not crazy far for defense of my boat should the need arise. Since I will most likely only purchase one such weapon in my life time I wanted some expert advise and it sounds like I got it.

Going with the AR-15 because of its durability and availability of parts. The rest will be practice, practice, practice. A small round well placed is better then a rocket that misses.

Thanks!

the_fallguy
01-07-09, 13:21
OH yeah! There was one more reason I chose the AR in 5.56x45 - You can get a .22lr conversion kit and supplement your shooting skills a lot cheaper. That was a huge plus for me.