PDA

View Full Version : New Magpul magazine - TMAG

JediGuy
01-15-24, 18:00
https://magpul.com/tmag-30-ar-m4-gen-m3.html

Part of me wonders if they are trolling.

georgeib
01-15-24, 18:13
They sure look interesting. But I'm beyond flush on AR mags, and I have plenty of Lancer mags anyway.

WickedWillis
01-15-24, 18:22
I don't know why they would be trolling. They also announced P320 mags today.

Razorblade
01-15-24, 18:36
Late to the party as usual lol

I'll probably stick with lancers and okay mags

Stickman
01-15-24, 18:41
It is hard to be serious about this when Lancer has been making them ever since Magpul couldn't. These don't appear to be recommended for 300BLK use for those people who care.

Magpul does have .mil contracts for PMAGs, so maybe this gets yet another foot in the door for them.

HKGuns
01-15-24, 19:42
Nothing about these makes me want to spend $24 on them.

Looks like I'll be sticking to milspec mags as well. Although my most recent purchases have been Lancers that seem to work very well.

Must say something about me that I usually don't say yes to all the "popular" crap like Pmags and gLoCk's.

I'm typing this looking at over 150 AR15 mags and I count a total of 8 AR15 Pmags. Most of mine are NMHTG / Okay AL - HK polymer and C-Products stainless. I have another hundred Brownells milspec sitting in an ammo can in their original packaging, just in case.

This is only one section of my allocated Mag storage space.
https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3552203938-5.jpg

pag23
01-15-24, 20:05
I don't know why they would be trolling. They also announced P320 mags today.

The P320 mags have me interested but I would like coated not stainless...but the price beats Sig

SteyrAUG
01-15-24, 22:48
https://magpul.com/tmag-30-ar-m4-gen-m3.html

Part of me wonders if they are trolling.

I think they realized they are missing a big part of the market. While window mags suffice for me and I rarely stop engaging targets to check my magazine levels (I usually sorta count bursts or doubles when in semi) and rely a lot on bolt hold opens I have from time to time checked when shooting AUGs or SIG 550 series rifles.

I sorta wish they'd give us a standard MP5 mag and start cranking out mags for the HK 33/93 series.

El Pistolero
01-15-24, 22:57
After they spent two decades telling us we can’t have translucent mags because it’s not possible according to them. A day late and a dollar short. Lancer mags all the way.

SteyrAUG
01-15-24, 23:35
After they spent two decades telling us we can’t have translucent mags because it’s not possible according to them. A day late and a dollar short. Lancer mags all the way.

Maybe it wasn't possible for them at the time. Obviously SIG and Steyr have been doing it since the 1970s.

I don't own any Lancers so I'm not qualified to comment on them. But I've been pretty happy with my Pmags since they started cranking them out. As someone who lived through the Clinton ban, you cannot have enough quality magazine manufacturers because someday this merry go round is probably gonna come to an end and a market flooded with millions of prebans is a good thing.

bryan1211
01-16-24, 00:40
I’m down to try a couple of these out.

Vegas
01-16-24, 01:19
Ironic. Friend and I were just talking today about how Lancer mags are the superior product in market. Nothing here is going to change that.

SteyrAUG
01-16-24, 04:04
Ironic. Friend and I were just talking today about how Lancer mags are the superior product in market. Nothing here is going to change that.

You convinced me. I'm gonna try some of these out, especially the crazy colors.

kirkland
01-16-24, 04:20
I wouldn't mind having a few but just seems too expensive

markm
01-16-24, 05:29
I'm shocked at how many Lancer gays there are here. I swore them off decades ago with their first bad clips.

ETS mags are the way to go for this see thru nonsense.

mack7.62
01-16-24, 07:03

Funny after extensive testing the US Military does not agree. I hope I never have to depend on my magazine at -60 but I still want the mag that can do it.

ARMY Tests Show PMag Superior, Led to USAF Adoption, Says Air Force Spokesperson
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/14/army-tests-show-pmag-superior-led-usaf-adoption-says-air-force-spokesperson/

Marines' Approval of PMAG May Lead to International Buys
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/19/marines-approval-of-pmag-may-lead-to-international-buys.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVobY9KdeHc

georgeib
01-16-24, 07:35
Funny after extensive testing the US Military does not agree. I hope I never have to depend on my magazine at -60 but I still want the mag that can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVobY9KdeHc

There weren't any Lancer mags in that test though.

sadmin
01-16-24, 07:50
metal feed lips > being able to see bullets in mag. pass

mack7.62
01-16-24, 08:00
There weren't any Lancer mags in that test though.

That video was Magpul testing, the actual 2015 Army test the PMAG won was 10 polymer commercial magazines and 2 GI aluminum mags with different followers and why would Lancer not be in the test? To protect the different companies the Army identified the mags by using random letters A-L, Magpul was F and the clear winner and out performed the EPM but the Army decided the EPM is good enough so are still issuing them. The USMC approved the EPM for training but only the PMAG for combat, SOCOM and Air Force went PMAG.

mpom
01-16-24, 08:02
The "see through" is a neutral for me but if metal feed lips lead to a "pass" then we should stop using all existing OEM pistola mags and most OEM bolt action mags...

ViniVidivici
01-16-24, 08:09
Well that's kinda cool looking, but I don't see the point.

Lance's already got ya covered.

I don't like these kind of mags anyway, at most I'd use 2 or 3 as training mags, my rifles aren't painted and subdued just so I can walk around with shiny gold ammo showing through down below...

I love my gen 2 & (less so) gen 3 PMAGS, and when you can get gen 2 30's for 10 bucks or less all day, that price point is very unattractive.

Their market research must show their losing share to Lancer in this regard.

Maybe if they could clip together like G36 mags they'd seem cooler......naw, then they'd be annoying to get in and out of pouches...

Red*Lion
01-16-24, 08:40
Yesterday was Magpuls 25th anniversary introducing the Pmag. I am guessing said new mag is legit.

Uncas47
01-16-24, 08:54
We need another lube thread.

markm
01-16-24, 09:05
We need another lube thread.

Froglube is still running solidly for me! :cool:

Alpha-17
01-16-24, 09:08
Cool. Don't need more mags, but that's never stopped me from buying them before. And P320 mags that aren't $50? Absofragginglutely.

markm
01-16-24, 09:43
Cool. Don't need more mags, but that's never stopped me from buying them before. And P320 mags that aren't $50? Absofragginglutely.

I got 30 rounders I put in the garage 10 years ago I haven't even thought about digging out. But I'll sometimes buy a one off just for reference, and to remember what buying a mag feels like.

georgeib
01-16-24, 10:02
That video was Magpul testing, the actual 2015 Army test the PMAG won was 10 polymer commercial magazines and 2 GI aluminum mags with different followers and why would Lancer not be in the test? To protect the different companies the Army identified the mags by using random letters A-L, Magpul was F and the clear winner and out performed the EPM but the Army decided the EPM is good enough so are still issuing them. The USMC approved the EPM for training but only the PMAG for combat, SOCOM and Air Force went PMAG.

I do remember that. I don't remember what the failures were exactly among the other brands, but I seem to recall that the Magpul M3s had the least (if not any) FTF, and as I further recall, with M855A1 ammo. Which can be a bit problematic with some mags.

Cane55
01-16-24, 15:44

The Army SMU uses Lancers & PMAG’s (depending on individual preference). If they are being used downrange it means they were extensively tested for reliability, durability, and functionality in all types of weather conditions etc. They have a squadron just for that purpose. So if they’re using them they are good to go.

SteyrAUG
01-16-24, 15:51
Well that's kinda cool looking, but I don't see the point.

Lance's already got ya covered.

I don't like these kind of mags anyway, at most I'd use 2 or 3 as training mags, my rifles aren't painted and subdued just so I can walk around with shiny gold ammo showing through down below...

I love my gen 2 & (less so) gen 3 PMAGS, and when you can get gen 2 30's for 10 bucks or less all day, that price point is very unattractive.

Their market research must show their losing share to Lancer in this regard.

Maybe if they could clip together like G36 mags they'd seem cooler......naw, then they'd be annoying to get in and out of pouches...

I sorta wish they would, I really like my SIG mags. They are cool for storage and range use. As individual mags, they don't pack any worse than AUG mags which are dimensionally larger than most AR mags.

grizzlygunner999
01-16-24, 18:00
Nothing about these makes me want to spend $24 on them.

Looks like I'll be sticking to milspec mags as well. Although my most recent purchases have been Lancers that seem to work very well.

Must say something about me that I usually don't say yes to all the "popular" crap like Pmags and gLoCk's.

I'm typing this looking at over 150 AR15 mags and I count a total of 8 AR15 Pmags. Most of mine are NMHTG / Okay AL - HK polymer and C-Products stainless. I have another hundred Brownells milspec sitting in an ammo can in their original packaging, just in case.

This is only one section of my allocated Mag storage space.
https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3467033220-5.jpgHoly OCD I just throw mine in a bucket lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

mark5pt56
01-17-24, 06:36
Froglube is still running solidly for me! :cool:

Indeed it is:sarcastic:

SpecWired
01-17-24, 07:38
Up to my neck in mags but I’d give these a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
01-17-24, 07:53
Indeed it is:sarcastic:

Wise guy eh? Woob woob woob woob (3 stooges)

RUTGERS95
01-17-24, 22:24
zero interest and I'm sticking to my steel mags

opngrnd
01-17-24, 22:43
I'll grab a couple for fun. I prefer PMAGs, but am fine with other options. Don't care for how Lancer mags sometimes lose the top round, but it's a minor detail for practice use.

Uncas47
01-18-24, 09:24
As I find myself engaging is less and less extended firefights, I'm gravitating more to my NOS and vintage twenty rounders. When I got my first Colts years ago, that's what they came with LOL. They've always been flawless for me. I've got a shit ton of thirtys including some Magpul that I'm keeping just cause, but not gonna be buying any more.

markm
01-18-24, 09:33
As I find myself engaging is less and less extended firefights, I'm gravitating more to my NOS and vintage twenty rounders.

Me too! We almost never run a 30 round "clip" anymore. I do keep my defense gun loaded with a 30 loaded to 28, but there's NO scenario where I'm on the range and need 30 rounds in a string of fire. Ammo it too expensive.

Uncas47
01-18-24, 11:00
Me too! We almost never run a 30 round "clip" anymore. I do keep my defense gun loaded with a 30 loaded to 28, but there's NO scenario where I'm on the range and need 30 rounds in a string of fire. Ammo it too expensive.
I also load 30s to 28, bad habits are among the hardest to break LOL.

ViniVidivici
01-18-24, 11:56

I do love my 20's, but more and more when I'm shooting prone unsupported, I'm using the 30 rounder as a sort of monopod, with good results.

The 40's are great for when wearing armor.

And agreed, I'm NEVER loading a mag to capacity anymore during any kind of training (except for the ones carried on me, of course), as ammo/components are damn expensive, and any routines or drills we set up simply aren't requiring 30 rounds to be blasted downrange.

Hell, even when we run an Australian Peel, it's "understood" that this 5 round dump out of each mag DOES represent a mag dump!

Disciple
01-18-24, 12:04
I'm shocked at how many Lancer gays there are here. I swore them off decades ago with their first bad clips.

ETS mags are the way to go for this see thru nonsense.

You're trolling. ETS? :blink:

markm
01-18-24, 12:06
I do love my 20's, but more and more when I'm shooting prone unsupported, I'm using the 30 rounder as a sort of monopod, with good results.

That does work good.

Hell, even when we run an Australian Peel, it's "understood" that this 5 round dump out of each mag DOES represent a mag dump!

No kidding. I'm just going to yell "pew pew" on this string, boys!

Disciple
01-18-24, 14:37

I would rather have a product that is ready for prime time, even if it took a while. They are also tacitly stating that the Lancer fails tests theirs passes.

For more than ten years, we’ve been iteratively working on design, materials and construction of a new translucent magazine—a TMAG—that would meet our highest standards. It took a while, and a lot of discarded prototypes, but we are ready to announce the creation of the TMAG™ 30 AR/M4 GEN M3®. It is the lead product in a new line of translucent magazines made with an Olive Drab Translucent material, and it’s the first translucent magazine that meets our GEN M3 standards. It's also the only see-through magazine that passes the strict Department of Defense Test Operation Procedure for full weapons drops, as well as other dust and chemical reliability tests.

Uncas47
01-18-24, 14:46

The 40's are great for when wearing armor.

And agreed, I'm NEVER loading a mag to capacity anymore during any kind of training (except for the ones carried on me, of course), as ammo/components are damn expensive, and any routines or drills we set up simply aren't requiring 30 rounds to be blasted downrange.

The thirty round "monopod" is a great solution to unsupported prone. My problem these days is getting in and out of prone lol, I wish the thirtys could help with that. Somebody give me a hand.

georgeib
01-18-24, 16:02
I would rather have a product that is ready for prime time, even if it took a while. They are also tacitly stating that the Lancer fails tests theirs passes.

I *think* they're referring to the fact that Lancers like to drop a round or 2 when dropped on the feed lips, when full. I think this is due to the Lancer's teflon coated steel feed lips, which probably have less friction than the Magpul material. A good thing under most circumstances, but a marginal liability when dropped.

I have a bunch of Lancers and a bunch of Magpul M3 MCT mags full and packed in ammo cans for a rainy day. I've used both pretty extensively, and beyond the Lancers popping a round or two out when dropped, I'm never been able to discern the difference between them from a practical standpoint.

Cips
01-18-24, 16:11
I felt the translucent mags were kind of a fad and didn't think anyone cared anymore. I do own a few ETS AR mags but they are finicky with my rifle.

Defaultmp3
01-18-24, 16:26
Translucent mags have their practical uses outside of just keeping an eye on how full the magazine is. For someone that has both .300 BLK and 5.56×45mm/.223 Rem around, it's an easy way to make sure that you're not mixing mags. I personally use my translucent Lancers specifically for force-on-force, to easily confirm that there is no live ammo on me; I can see myself picking up a few TMAGs for the same purpose.

markm
01-18-24, 21:54
it's an easy way to make sure that you're not mixing mags.

We kinda had this issue in 7.62 and 6.5cm in the AR-10s We tan camo painted the 6.5 mags to keep from mixing up AR-10 ammo. Irrelevant to these clips, but sort of the same notion.

SteyrAUG
01-18-24, 22:15
The thirty round "monopod" is a great solution to unsupported prone. My problem these days is getting in and out of prone lol, I wish the thirtys could help with that. Somebody give me a hand.

I can still get down pretty good. But getting up is gonna take a minute.

SteyrAUG
01-18-24, 22:20
Translucent mags have their practical uses outside of just keeping an eye on how full the magazine is. For someone that has both .300 BLK and 5.56×45mm/.223 Rem around, it's an easy way to make sure that you're not mixing mags. I personally use my translucent Lancers specifically for force-on-force, to easily confirm that there is no live ammo on me; I can see myself picking up a few TMAGs for the same purpose.

You do force on force training with live weapons? That is what airsoft (or sims if you have a budget) is for.

I can see using color coded mags for specific ammo, I use certain Pmags for .55 gr range ammo and other Pmags for defensive ammo.

But seriously, force on force you should not be pointing actual weapons at anyone, that is how bad shit happens accidentally / eventually.

If you feel you MUST, because you are close to Delta or whatever, pull mags AND bolts.

ViniVidivici
01-18-24, 23:57
I certainly agree that these would be viable for folks wanting to differentiate ammo types, for sure. Tactile as well as visual matters in that regard.

If we had ARs in anything other than 5.56 around here, that would come into play. I mark my mags in certain ways for different loads, but at the end if the day it's not tragic if I mix them up, it's all some flavor of 5.56mm.

Defaultmp3
01-19-24, 00:06
You do force on force training with live weapons? That is what airsoft (or sims if you have a budget) is for.

I can see using color coded mags for specific ammo, I use certain Pmags for .55 gr range ammo and other Pmags for defensive ammo.

But seriously, force on force you should not be pointing actual weapons at anyone, that is how bad shit happens accidentally / eventually.

If you feel you MUST, because you are close to Delta or whatever, pull mags AND bolts.I use a Simunition bolt for my AR when I do force-on-force (I use a 17T for sidearm, though some guys will use a slide conversion kit instead). We still go through all the checks that there's nothing live. Getting live ammo mixed in during the scenario even with a Sim bolt is still considered a big sin, so the translucent mag helps with that, just one more layer of safety (and I ain't got the budget to buy the Lancer TSMs, since I'm only doing the force-on-force training only a few times a year).

SteyrAUG
01-19-24, 04:40
I use a Simunition bolt for my AR when I do force-on-force (I use a 17T for sidearm, though some guys will use a slide conversion kit instead). We still go through all the checks that there's nothing live. Getting live ammo mixed in during the scenario even with a Sim bolt is still considered a big sin, so the translucent mag helps with that, just one more layer of safety (and I ain't got the budget to buy the Lancer TSMs, since I'm only doing the force-on-force training only a few times a year).

OK SIMs are different. But why not just use Sim mags instead of Lancers?

The few times I did SIMs they absolutely shook us and our gear down, any actual magazine couldn't even come in the building, empty or not.

TMS951
01-19-24, 06:13
I like translucent mags. I have an AUG and always thought they were nice mags.

Previously magpie had said they could not come up with a translucent that was though enough.

Advances in material science are a real thing. No they can.

Cool.

ViniVidivici
01-19-24, 11:13
I like translucent mags. I have an AUG and always thought they were nice mags.

Previously magpie had said they could not come up with a translucent that was though enough.

Advances in material science are a real thing. No they can.

Cool.

Magpie. Whether an intentional poke at them, or an accidental auto-correct, I like it.

I resisted becoming a Magpul fanboy for years....but damnit they make good stuff.

Defaultmp3
01-19-24, 12:04
OK SIMs are different. But why not just use Sim mags instead of Lancers?

The few times I did SIMs they absolutely shook us and our gear down, any actual magazine couldn't even come in the building, empty or not.Because the Lancer TSMs are pricey, as I said in my post? That vast majority of folks in the class just used normal mags, very few show up with Lancer TSMs, while the UTM training mags I've only seen like two or three. Some nights I'm going into the shoothouse with 10 AR mags and 6 Glock mags, and will come out totally empty.

Plus, like I said, I don't do this enough to justify buying dedicated mags just for FoF when I could just get translucent mags that work with live ammo if needed, when the instructor finds that this is a safe enough approach. Considering that the facility he owns has been the consistent global leader in Simunition/Force-on-Force consumption, I trust his judgement.

wanderson
01-19-24, 21:17

This was my thought exactly.
Based on what Magpul has said for years, I'd be surprised if they're 100% as durable as basic black.

Most of my AR mags are aluminum & steel bodies but for transparent, go Lancer. I first got some Lancers when I got into .300bo and IMHO a better mag than PMAG.

Nothing wrong with PMAGs, my first AR mags were gen 2 windowed and straight 20s. Still rolling.
Guess I'm still holding a grudge when Magpul stopped the straight 20s. Most of my mags are 20s and I wish I'd bought more straight PMAG 20s.

JediGuy
01-20-24, 05:22
Instagram, YouTube, and apparently here are full of people wanting straight twenties…but Magpul stopped because the curved twenties functioned better. Seems like a decent trade off.

markm
01-20-24, 07:00
Instagram, YouTube, and apparently here are full of people wanting straight twenties…but Magpul stopped because the curved twenties functioned better. Seems like a decent trade off.

They just had to stick to their anti tilt marketing. Shot em all, and the curved 20s are no way superior. I just generally avoid plastic 20s and go with NHMTGs.

ST911
01-20-24, 07:02

You mean my old magpul straight 20s are collectors items now? :)

JediGuy
01-20-24, 10:55
You mean my old magpul straight 20s are collectors items now? :)

I’d give you $20 per for as many as you have…and know I’d come out ahead.

Disciple
01-20-24, 11:41
They just had to stick to their anti tilt marketing. Shot em all, and the curved 20s are no way superior. I just generally avoid plastic 20s and go with NHMTGs.

Your testing is more extensive than Magpul's own? I think not.

Well, that was kind of the problem in the past...Consumers kept asking for a straight body 20. I'll admit...there's something about the form factor that is indeed appealing, and I still have a few straight 20s in my "prairie dog management" kit. It was understood that a curved 20 would be easier and better, but straight won out.

However... you can't put an anti-tilt follower in a straight magazine that needs to feed tapered cartridges. In most in-spec rifles, the straight 20 still worked very well...but a straight mag will never be as reliable as one with constant curve geometry and an anti-tilt follower.

Thus, the GEN M3 20 with constant curve geometry and an anti-tilt follower, just like its big brothers.

01-20-24, 11:50
As I find myself engaging is less and less extended firefights, I'm gravitating more to my NOS and vintage twenty rounders. When I got my first Colts years ago, that's what they came with LOL. They've always been flawless for me. I've got a shit ton of thirtys including some Magpul that I'm keeping just cause, but not gonna be buying any more.

I keep my 30s loaded with defensive ammo, but I like the 20s more for training and will probably be buying 20 rounders moving forward.

Vegas
01-20-24, 13:45

Of course not but doesn’t discount his personal experience. For me; their 20’s are adequate and no issue. I mostly use them bench or prone for precision stuff.

Uncas47
01-20-24, 13:54
Aluminum 20s have been around a lot longer than Magpul, I think.

markm
01-20-24, 16:16

I have no idea what the tested for the 20s. I make the assumption that they can't sell the idiots on a premise that a tilting follower is bad and then make a tilting follower 20.

Maybe I'm over-estimating magpul's customers ability to put 2 and 2 together though.

TAZ
01-20-24, 21:02
I like the idea, but I’ve got drawers full of regular PMAGS. Aside from seeing what ammo is in there, ball vs HP… that sort of thing I’m not sure what I’d use the translucency for, but I’m a pretty low speed guy.

SteyrAUG
01-20-24, 21:27
I like the idea, but I’ve got drawers full of regular PMAGS. Aside from seeing what ammo is in there, ball vs HP… that sort of thing I’m not sure what I’d use the translucency for, but I’m a pretty low speed guy.

As someone who paid $50 for used USGI mags during the Clinton ban, I simply enjoy the options. That people would actually argue about the options (assuming they are base line reliable) is almost strange to me.

georgeib
01-20-24, 21:37
As someone who paid $50 for used USGI mags during the Clinton ban, I simply enjoy the options. That people would actually argue about the options (assuming they are base line reliable) is almost strange to me.Certainly an embarrassment of riches we have nowadays.

ABNAK
01-20-24, 21:46
Uh, I've not had a problem with Gen 3 PMAGs, I think I'm good.

ViniVidivici
01-21-24, 01:49
AUG's right, we should count our blessings.

pag23
01-21-24, 05:43

I use a few Magpul M3 20 rounders for range and target shooting as it makes it easier on the bench rest or with a bipod. I haven't seen any decent metal ones local in my area, so I usually go online.

I hope a company starts to reproduce the Okay industries Surefeeds

markm
01-21-24, 08:40
I use a few Magpul M3 20 rounders for range and target shooting as it makes it easier on the bench rest or with a bipod. I haven't seen any decent metal ones local in my area, so I usually go online.

We're almost all 20 rounders for the same (bipod) reason. I just run the same pair of NHTMGs most of the time. We have magpul 20s in straight and curved too. With 20s, I just prefer metal.

Disciple
01-21-24, 09:49
I have no idea what the tested for the 20s. I make the assumption that they can't sell the idiots on a premise that a tilting follower is bad and then make a tilting follower 20.

Maybe I'm over-estimating magpul's customers ability to put 2 and 2 together though.

You're working hard to spin this a negative way and calling Duane Liptak, Jr. a liar in the process. No wonder this forum has lost its industry representatives.

At the very least they have tested their own straight 20 magazines. They tried to please people who liked the look of straight magazines but found it impossible to produce one that is as reliable as the constant curvature design. Why is that so hard for you to understand or accept?

You like straight 20s and metal magazines, and they work for you in your guns under your conditions. That doesn't give you the knowledge or position to assert that "curved [PMAG] 20s are no way superior" yet you do. The Marine Corps testing shows your statement to be erroneous.

markm
01-21-24, 12:17
I don't know what the fukk you're talking about. Really. Just stop. I don't even know Duane Liptak, Jr.

How could I call someone I don't know on any level a liar. I don't know who Duane is, what he's written or said.

What problem does the curved 20 solve? NONE. I don't claim it to be inferior. I just want a real USGI type 20 so if I do get a malf, I don't have to wonder if it's mag related.

Disciple
01-21-24, 13:25
How could I call someone I don't know on any level a liar. I don't know who Duane is, what he's written or said.

SPQR476, as quoted. Didn't you read it? It's not as though you've never interacted with the guy.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?88678-PMAG-30-issue-question&p=1499567#post1499567

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?156280-There-are-NO-good-rail-mounted-front-sights&p=1964522#post1964522

pag23
01-21-24, 15:40
We're almost all 20 rounders for the same (bipod) reason. I just run the same pair of NHTMGs most of the time. We have magpul 20s in straight and curved too. With 20s, I just prefer metal.

Ever try the ASC metal mags?.....

Now I want to pick up a few straight 20 round metal mags.

STAMarine
01-23-24, 07:15
Ah, I pretty much only shoot suppressed nowadays. A translucent magazine would be black soon enough. I'll still probably pock up a couple just to have though.

richiecotite
01-25-24, 04:13
Ever try the ASC metal mags?.....

Now I want to pick up a few straight 20 round metal mags.

I have a few, they work, and if you handload you can load out to 2.32 or so and still feed from the mag

Chowser
01-26-24, 06:48
is there anything wrong with my old gen2 pmags. i have a bunch and after years of use, I have only had two crack.

ruckusjuice
01-26-24, 08:01
Nothing “wrong” with older Gen2s. They’re just more likely to crack along the spine after a bunch of use than the newer ones or Gen3s. The newer Gen2s use the same polymer as Gen3s. I’ve had four Gen2s crack along the spine. I’ve never had or seen the same thing happen to a Gen3.

Chowser
01-26-24, 08:09
I think mine cracked along the side. When I get to work tonight, I will dig it out for a photo. We use it for reload training.
I do have a bunch of Lancer 20rd mags that I was using mainly with 300blk rifles so I could differentiate them. Magpul = 5.56. Lancer = 300blk.

My HK 5.56 mags all cracked as well. My ancient Okay mags still work fine.

masakari
01-26-24, 08:36
I have a million Lancers and that's not changing. But maybe I'll get some tmags. I would like to see them in the 20 round size as well.

markm
01-26-24, 08:41
I'll buy one if I stumble across one at my local store. I really like the ETS, but I like to have a sample of new stuff. I gave my Lancer away when they were replacing them. Let someone else get a free mag, because they are permanently banned from my gear.

crosseyedshooter
01-26-24, 09:59
I’m eagerly awaiting 300BLK optimized TMAGs to really differentiate them from my 556 windowed PMAGs.

Chowser
01-26-24, 21:45
pmag was just the usual spine crack. it was my HK mag that cracked on the side so I threw it away.

https://i.postimg.cc/fyq2L60f/IMG-7505.jpg

SteyrAUG
01-26-24, 23:05
pmag was just the usual spine crack. it was my HK mag that cracked on the side so I threw it away.

https://i.postimg.cc/fyq2L60f/IMG-7505.jpg

Do you mean a HK 416 mag?

Chowser
01-26-24, 23:33
no. should've specified. it was an older G36 translucent mag. We used to have a few G36s in the armory along with some MP5s before we switched to a standard AR

SteyrAUG
01-27-24, 12:43
no. should've specified. it was an older G36 translucent mag. We used to have a few G36s in the armory along with some MP5s before we switched to a standard AR

Oh gotcha. Yeah, I can believe that. It's a shame the XM8/G36 didn't turn out to be more than it was, they dumped a ton of R&D into that platform and on paper it had some nice merits.

Eurodriver
01-28-24, 21:20
It’s amazing anyone runs anything other than USGI and PMAGs.

When did Lancer get so popular - and why?

Chowser
01-28-24, 21:43
I bought Lancers because of the metal feed lips for my 300blk rifles and only 20 rounders so I can differentiate at a glance what the mag is for.

At work, we only use Daniel Defense 32rd mags (loaded to 30) since they came with the rifles.

iflylo
01-28-24, 22:09
I’ve had Lancer mags for years and they all work smoothly, I’m curious to see and try these

mpom
01-29-24, 07:22
Lancers are a bit slimmer than Pmags, an advantage in tight pouches.

Eurodriver
01-29-24, 07:43
Makes sense. Wasn't trying to disparage them - I just bought all my mags 10+ years ago and never looked at anything else. I like the metal feed lips.

markm
01-29-24, 07:46

WORD UP! I'm stunned at the amount of users.

Hank6046
01-29-24, 10:15

I like and bought Lancer's for 2 reasons, the first is that they used to come in 3 packs for around $45-$48, of which I found them at 2 of my LGSs so when I would stop in and just pickup 3, because why not.
The second is that when all the things came out about Gen2 PMAGs having issues with the feed lips, Lancer was right there to fill the void.

There were other mags on the market, but having worked at a gun range and watched as so many older USGI mags fail because of tilting feed ramps. I know that I had at least 7-10 ACS magazines fail me within a year to 2 years of moderate use. It wasn't until later that I found D&H and C Products, and Surefeed mags online for cheap.

Waylander
01-29-24, 12:41
I’m seeing these TMAG are DOD approved. Can anybody confirm that?

pag23
01-29-24, 16:53
WORD UP! I'm stunned at the amount of users.

I got a bunch of Lancers from a group buy in another forum years ago...I just recently picked up a few more. I only had an issue with an older smoked translucent one, the rest seem fine.

I mainly use Pmags along with USGI from Okay and D&H... even some steel Beretta mags.

pag23
01-29-24, 16:55
I think mine cracked along the side. When I get to work tonight, I will dig it out for a photo. We use it for reload training.
I do have a bunch of Lancer 20rd mags that I was using mainly with 300blk rifles so I could differentiate them. Magpul = 5.56. Lancer = 300blk.

My HK 5.56 mags all cracked as well. My ancient Okay mags still work fine.

I had some of those HK 5.56 mags...mine cracked as well especially since they didn't see much range use.

HKGuns
01-29-24, 17:21
Never had any of my HK Plastic mags crack and I'm staring at three that have been fully loaded for well over a year.

Never had any of my pmags fail either, for that matter. People say C-Products mags suck and I've had no issue with them.

I had one mag that refused to feed my AUG last summer, shot a 45ACP round through it so I wouldn't use it again. Turns out it was an OK GI Mag.......of which I have many.

01-29-24, 20:36
I bought Lancers because of the metal feed lips for my 300blk rifles and only 20 rounders so I can differentiate at a glance what the mag is for.

At work, we only use Daniel Defense 32rd mags (loaded to 30) since they came with the rifles.

How good/reliable are the DD magazines? I have one that came with a rifle but have not used it at all.

WickedWillis
01-30-24, 02:15
How good/reliable are the DD magazines? I have one that came with a rifle but have not used it at all.

I've got around 400 rds on the couple I have. Perform pretty boringly reliable so far

Chowser
01-30-24, 05:53
We haven't had any issues with the DD mags or rifles either. i have six mags dedicated to training and we pretty much abuse them. Once I actually stuck my personal Specwar 5.56 on one rifle and did a six mag dump with no issues. Purposely mixed different ammo in the mags, even some Tula steel that someone turned in. The silencer got white hot and we left the rifle on the table to cool overnight. no one wanted to try and remove the suppressor. It's rated for full auto use but I guess not constant use. The blowback was horrible.

01-30-24, 07:27
Thanks WickedWillis and Chowser.

markm
01-30-24, 07:57
The blowback was horrible.

Off topic, but I've gotten to where I can't stand Suppressors on auto loading long guns. We had a buddy come out and shoot with us, but his neck was bugging him so I had to shoot his suppressed gun for some groups. Breathing that toxic vape of heavy metals and nasty shit. Yuck.

georgeib
01-30-24, 09:05
Off topic, but I've gotten to where I can't stand Suppressors on auto loading long guns. We had a buddy come out and shoot with us, but his neck was bugging him so I had to shoot his suppressed gun for some groups. Breathing that toxic vape of heavy metals and nasty shit. Yuck.

I hope you get to try some of the newer flow through cans. The difference is very noticeable. You may yet change your mind when it comes to suppressing semi-autos

markm
01-30-24, 09:49
I hope you get to try some of the newer flow through cans. The difference is very noticeable. You may yet change your mind when it comes to suppressing semi-autos

Man, I'd love to try one. I'm sure my nutty shooting buddy will get one some day. He buys a suppresser every 5 minutes!

MegademiC
01-31-24, 20:29
Man, I'd love to try one. I'm sure my nutty shooting buddy will get one some day. He buys a suppresser every 5 minutes!

Do you use brt tubes? I get minimal blowback with mine. None with an r9

ace4059
02-03-24, 14:14
You're trolling. ETS? :blink:

I’ll stick with my pro mags

markm
02-04-24, 06:13
Do you use brt tubes? I get minimal blowback with mine. None with an r9

I don't run any ARs suppressed anymore, but we have many BRT tubes in circulation.