PDA

View Full Version : M&P .40 magazine feed lips question

high888
01-06-09, 07:23
I recently upgraded from a S&W .40 Sigma to an M&P. This handgun is like shooting
a stick of warm butter. Smooth. Balanced. At 30 feet I can now place 6 shots in a
about a 4 inch circle. Never could do that with the Sigma. And I only started shooting for the first time right after the election! Gotta love ya Barack. Never would have started with firearms without you.

Can I keep a fully loaded magazine with 15 rounds for an extended period of time
without hurting the feed lips? I have heard that on an AR15/M4 the feed lips will tend to bulge outward or some such thing. So how long can you maintain a full
magazine on both the M&P .40 handgun, as well as an M&P15 rifle, which I also
own?

M4arc
01-06-09, 07:59
Yes you can keep them loaded for an extended period of time.

Congrats on your new M&P40!

high888
01-07-09, 11:12
Yes. I got to thinking the police have their magazines filled all of the time. Except Barny Fife, who kept his one bullet in his shirt pocket.

What about the 5.56/2.23 mags. The poly mags have some sort of cap which keeps
the lips from spreading during extended storage. How about the steel mags.
Do the lips bend outwards over time if not used?

ToddG
01-07-09, 11:36
Your M&P mags will be fine.

Questions about AR15/M4 mags would be more suitable to one of the appropriate sections rather than in the Handguns area.

ReelFaith
01-09-09, 16:06
I too just purchaed a S&W M&P 40SW and love it. My first pistol. Seemed like the right thing to do with the current president elect situationand economy. I live in Florida and after seeing what Katrina did and the aftermath, just wanted some personal defense for my family from the crazies. So, I just picked up yesterday a S&W M&P M15X for extra security. Can't wait to take it to the range. I'm sure I paid too much..............$1300. Too much yesterday but probably a great price in 2 months. Most stores are really busy down here in Florida. Walmart last weekend had no medium to high caliber ammo instock in all their SW Florida locations.
There is a feeling of " Lets buy what we can while we can find it and are freely permitted to buy it. Same with guns, tough to find any AR15's anywhere at any price.