PDA

View Full Version : Civilian FN 5.7 as a defensive handgun?

30 cal slut
01-06-09, 09:44
I'm talking CIVILIAN ammo.

Based on Doc's comments in the ballistics forums, I wonder why people CCW with this pistol.

Am I off base for poo-pooing this handgun? Sounds like a fun gun for the range (again, with CIVILIAN ammo.)

Business_Casual
01-07-09, 08:59
I had one and I thought it was an awesome weapon - advanced polymer construction, well-engineered and sophisticated action and enormous magazine capacity.

The only two things that were bad: caliber is basically 22 Magnum and the safety on the frame.

Shrug.

M_P

markm
01-07-09, 09:14
I know a guy who loves the pistol too. Although he owns a whacky variety of guns that I would never consider.

Business_Casual
01-07-09, 09:53
That was past tense. I do not own one due to the fact, as mentioned, that the caliber is basically 22 Magnum. That would be the same reason I would assume one would not CCW it.

M_P

John_Wayne777
01-07-09, 11:14
I'm talking CIVILIAN ammo.

Based on Doc's comments in the ballistics forums, I wonder why people CCW with this pistol.

Am I off base for poo-pooing this handgun? Sounds like a fun gun for the range (again, with CIVILIAN ammo.)

Are they cool? Hell yes!

Are they fun? Hell yes!

Are they practical self defense weapons for the average joe? 'Fraid not.

I trained with a couple of officers from a large metropolitan SWAT team who, as far as I know, have had more operational experience with the 5.7 than anyone else in the country using their P90's with LE/Mil only ammo. (Operational experience = shooting people with it) The results they had were dismal, including an incident where a scumbag received a burst from the P90 and complained "Stop shooting me with that thing!". He didn't stop...he didn't fall down...he stood there complaining about what he was being shot with.

They are cool weapons to play with and in a military or LE context the 5.7 in a P90 may fill a specific niche that nothing else will fill. In reality that's what the P90 and the 5.7 cartridge was meant to be, a PDW that was an improvement over a handgun for people who were stuck with a handgun as their primary in a war zone.

In a handgun the average joe carrying for personal defense would be better served with a 9mm Glock or M&P and using the money saved with that purchase for training.

Now why do people still buy and carry them as a carry gun? Beats me. Some of them like the extra capacity and low recoil. Some of them like the idea of AP ammo in a handgun. (Although the actual AP stuff is LE/Mil only) Some are recoil sensitive and want a gun that their wife thinks is fun to shoot. Some think they are wicked cool and carry them for that reason. Some are convinced that it is the best thing ever invented and if you happen to tell them that you actually know people who have used it to shoot bad guys who have responded by getting pissed and hollering "Cut that out!" instead of dying, they react like you told them their momma sells it on the street.

It's only that last category that I find to be annoying.

Personally I think the FNP series of handgun would be a better option for most who would like an FN handgun. A customized FN Hi-Power would be a good option too.

ToddG
01-07-09, 11:38
The 5.7 mil/duty ammo from an SMG serves a very limited & narrow role, but it does arguably have a role.

The same cannot be said for the pistol. Unless the idea of a large, high-capacity .22 strikes you as an ideal EDC gun, in which case there's nothing else like it on the market. :cool:

HK45
01-07-09, 22:02
I like how various gun shops have been saying you should buy one now before they are outlawed. Which they have been saying for years..

CCK
01-07-09, 23:30
The 5.7 mil/duty ammo from an SMG serves a very limited & narrow role, but it does arguably have a role.

The same cannot be said for the pistol. Unless the idea of a large, high-capacity .22 strikes you as an ideal EDC gun, in which case there's nothing else like it on the market. :cool:

I think a super flat shooting, high capacity, armor piercing gun has some value.

I certainly wouldn't want to be shot between the eyes with a 22Mag. Why would I want to be shot with a 5.7?

And the low recoil and high capacity give the shooter just such an opportunity.

As to AP rounds not being available. Look at:

eliteammunition.com

Chris

ToddG
01-07-09, 23:47
I think a super flat shooting, high capacity, armor piercing gun has some value.

It does if that flat shooting, high capacity, armor piercing gun has the terminal effectiveness you want. In the case of the 5.7 pistol, it doesn't (for me).

I certainly wouldn't want to be shot between the eyes with a 22Mag. Why would I want to be shot with a 5.7?

I wouldn't want to be slapped in the face with a rubber chicken ... doesn't make a rubber chicken an ideal tool for causing rapid incapacitation.

You may want to consider that if a shooter has the ability to place one round of 5.7 "between the eyes" then he can do the same with a more traditional caliber. The difference is that while the standard LE calibers have a track record of being effective under less than ideal ("between the eyes") conditions, the 5.7 has not garnered much respect.

30 cal slut
01-08-09, 06:59
thx for confirming my suspicions.

fine if it's a neato "fun gun."

sjc3081
01-08-09, 07:19
If you need to shoot through body armor than 9x25 Dillion should do the trick. At least you have a 90 grain .355 bullet 2100 fps. Its just a barrel swap for a G20.

RWK
01-08-09, 08:32

I say "solution looking for a problem".

I wouldn't want to be slapped in the face with a rubber chicken ... doesn't make a rubber chicken an ideal tool for causing rapid incapacitation.

Unless it's filled with sand... :p

Chooie
01-08-09, 09:44
You know, if you want 20 rounds in a carry gun get a 9mm XDm. IMO the FiveSeven is now obsolete.