PDA

View Full Version : Three US troops killed in drone attack in Jordan, at least two dozen injured

tn1911
01-28-24, 10:38
https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/28/politics/us-troops-drone-attack-jordan

CNN

Three US Army troops were killed and at least two dozen service members were injured in a drone attack overnight on a small US outpost in Jordan, US officials told CNN, marking the first time US troops have been killed by enemy fire in the Middle East since the beginning of the Gaza war.

The killing of three Americans at Tower 22 in Jordan near the border with Syria is a significant escalation of an already-precarious situation in the Middle East.

US Central Command confirmed in a statement on Sunday that three service members were killed and 25 injured in a one-way drone attack that “impacted at a base in northeast Jordan.”

Joes inability to confront this is going to play into the hands of the republicans, only if trump is smart enough to exploit it

Hush
01-28-24, 10:40
I'm sure their families will take comfort in knowing that the Biden administration will ensure swift retribution for their deaths.

RIP soldiers. Your government may not give a shit about you, but your fellow countrymen still do.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

chuckman
01-28-24, 12:19
159 attacks in the ME since October 17 on US military or interests. Time to crap or get off the pot. Either annihilate Iran, or remove every American man, woman, and asset.

Rest in peace, warriors. You deserve better.

armtx77
01-28-24, 12:51
159 attacks in the ME since October 17 on US military or interests. Time to crap or get off the pot. Either annihilate Iran, or remove every American man, woman, and asset.

Rest in peace, warriors. You deserve better.

Yeah, Im to that point as well. Let West Asia have a go at picking the scabs of their old wounds and we can make peace with the much weakend winner. Unless we take over some oilfields, I dont see the worth of American warriors being there. Let them protect the boarder 11,500 miles from where they are stationed in Jordan.

I recently read that we have given the Houthi's at least 5 billion dollars in the last 14 months...all marked as "relief aid". Guessing most of that aid was on the Mogadishu Payment Plan. Where the warlords get paid 1st and the most.

mack7.62
01-28-24, 14:14
Now would be a good time to sink those Iranian intelligence ships in the Red Sea that are feeding target data to to the Houthi's.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-28-24, 14:29
Now would be a good time to sink those Iranian intelligence ships in the Red Sea that are feeding target data to to the Houthi's.

Mk48 for the win and no tracks. Ships are blowing up all over the area, just blame the Houthis.

What is it with Iran bombing LITERALLY every single neighbor, outside of Turkey? Just seems that the leadership in Iran is trying to get eliminated. With all their shenaninigans, I don’t know how you don’t’ start eliminating with extreme kinetic energy IRG leadership and then work your way up the ladder,

glocktogo
01-28-24, 14:46
Time to strike legitimate military command and control targets inside Iran. I hate this feckless ****ing administration. :mad:

vicious_cb
01-28-24, 15:00
Guys look at the source, CNN MSM garbage again. If you arent questioning everything coming out of the Biden admin, well good luck to you. Early reporting said it was Al-Tanaf was hit which was inside Syria. Then the story started to change to Tower-22 on the border. The Biden admin says it was Tower-22 in Jordan and even the Jordanians are like "hell no you aren't dragging us into this mess" and are completely denying anything was hit inside their borders. Its pretty common knowledge in the ME not to f*** around with Jordan, last time a Jordanian service member got killed the King of Jordan himself flew a combat mission just to prove a point. No one in the ME is dumb enough to mess with Jordan.

Remember when Trump ordered the DoD get all troops out of Syria and was completely ignored and lied to. No wonder the Biden admin can't admit US troops were killed inside of Syria exactly this reason. There is zero reason for US troops to be in Syria except for being "trip-wire" forces aka bait to justify for more Middle east interventionism.

chuckman
01-28-24, 15:52
Guys look at the source, the shill reposting CNN MSM garbage again. Even the WSJ is saying Al-Tanaf and no one bothers to look at a map. The base was NOT in Jordan, Al-Tanaf was hit which was inside Syria. The Biden admin says it was Tower-22 in Jordan and even the Jordanians are like "hell no you aren't dragging us into this mess" and are completely denying anything was hit inside their borders. Its pretty common knowledge in the ME not to f*** around with Jordan, last time a Jordanian service member got killed the King of Jordan himself flew a combat mission just to prove a point. No one in the ME is dumb enough to mess with Jordan.

Remember when Trump ordered the DoD get all troops out of Syria and was completely ignored and lied to. For exactly this reason, there is zero reason for US troops to be in Syria except for being "trip-wire" forces aka bait to justify for more Middle east interventionism.

Honestly does it matter where exactly this happened? The bigger issue is that regardless of where it happened, it happened. I maintain my stance as posted previously, either withdrawal all of our forces, or go all in with annihilating Iran.

vicious_cb
01-28-24, 15:58
Honestly does it matter where exactly this happened? The bigger issue is that regardless of where it happened, it happened. I maintain my stance as posted previously, either withdrawal all of our forces, or go all in with annihilating Iran.

Exactly the blame needs to go both ways, the people responsible are those who carried out the attack and those who put them in harms way. For some reason all the blame seems to be going one way which is exactly what the Biden admin wants, its no secret that the right's patriotism is easily exploited ie. 20 years of ME occupation for little gain.

I remember when there was thread in GD about why US troops were in Syria and even the most neocon of neocons couldn't come up with a good answer because there was none.

Remember the 13 Marines who died during the Afghanistan evac. Not enough blame was put on the administration who put them in the middle of the botched operation in the first place. Drumming up another ME war is exactly what they want to distract from domestic problems and has been done since Roman times. I mean the Iraqis asked us to leave in 2020 and again in 2023, its really a no brainer at this point these guys are being used as bait.

Hush
01-28-24, 16:02
Nobody in the civilian administration of our government, and very few at the top echelon of the military give a single shit about the lives of United States service members.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-28-24, 17:16
I remember when there was thread in GD about why US troops were in Syria and even the most neocon of neocons couldn't come up with a good answer because there was none.

Uhm, fighting ISIL? Those guys were kind of a-holes. But agreed that we are still stuck there like we’re in a long-term phone contract.

Sam
01-28-24, 17:48
Since our troops are low profile in that area, I'm assuming they're some kind of special operations type doing special ops things?

tn1911
01-28-24, 19:24
A lot of USAF tankers currently airborne, departing various US bases headed towards Europe.

French and UK tankers on the move too.

Wonder how many fighter and bombers those guys are dragging along?

Holy kc135 swarm

https://twitter.com/avgeekmason/status/1751761277452443822

ABNAK
01-28-24, 19:49
Yeah, in keeping with the usual pussified, spineless Democrat MO when it comes to retaliating, we will hit "training areas" and "weapon depots", not the ones who so desperately need killing. We'll show them boys! :rolleyes:

MegademiC
01-28-24, 20:40
Uhm, fighting ISIL? Those guys were kind of a-holes. But agreed that we are still stuck there like we’re in a long-term phone contract.

Isnt ISIL/ISIS the enemies of taliban, who we keep rotating funding to? It seems they are frend/fo every 2 years with a different name.

Or maybe im missing something, but seems likeself-induced purpetual war.

thepatriot2705
01-28-24, 21:43
A lot of USAF tankers currently airborne, departing various US bases headed towards Europe.

French and UK tankers on the move too.

Wonder how many fighter and bombers those guys are dragging along

Holy kc135 swarm

https://twitter.com/avgeekmason/status/1751761277452443822

Commercial air traffic over Jordan, syria, Iraq is pretty much non existent right now per flight trackers

tn1911
01-28-24, 22:00
Commercial air traffic over Jordan, syria, Iraq is pretty much non existent right now per flight trackers

This may be nothing more than military planners anticipating sustained operations. They would be moving assets on their own authority.

We will see if president puddin pop has the balls to order strikes against iran.

ThirdWatcher
01-28-24, 22:40
... even the Jordanians are like "hell no you aren't dragging us into this mess" and are completely denying anything was hit inside their borders. Its pretty common knowledge in the ME not to f*** around with Jordan, last time a Jordanian service member got killed the King of Jordan himself flew a combat mission just to prove a point. No one in the ME is dumb enough to mess with Jordan...

+1. I’ve never even been near the ME (although both my daughters have, & the younger one really enjoyed visiting Jordan) and I though everyone knew that no one that wants to live another day screws with the King. I think he cares more about our troops than the Biden administration does.

R.I.P., Warriors, we do give a damn...

Sam
01-29-24, 06:17

That's pretty normal any day.

Adrenaline_6
01-29-24, 08:10
As much as I hate Iran, you have to question if it makes sense. They are ass*oles, but are they stupid ass*oles. I am doubting anyone is this stupid to make that many enemies at once and risk getting totally effed up for a long time. If it's being promoted by the MSM, you at least have to question it.

pinzgauer
01-29-24, 09:33
In an interesting turn of events Iran is denying the attack.

Where normally they embrace them and claim credit "for the blow against the great Satan"

My suspicion is this is some splinter group that is Iran funded/armed. Which is mostly how they operate anyway

Artos
01-29-24, 10:52
Sigh...

DRONE CONFUSION LED TO DEADLY ATTACK IN JORDAN

US officials have revealed the drone that killed troops in Jordan was able to get past the base's defenses because it was inbound at the same time a US drone was returning to the base.

The confusion meant that the base's air defense system didn't destroy the enemy drone, believing it to be a US one.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Wake27
01-29-24, 11:15
Sigh...

DRONE CONFUSION LED TO DEADLY ATTACK IN JORDAN

US officials have revealed the drone that killed troops in Jordan was able to get past the base's defenses because it was inbound at the same time a US drone was returning to the base.

The confusion meant that the base's air defense system didn't destroy the enemy drone, believing it to be a US one.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Well that’s a great TTP for them to exploit. Kinda like Pearl Harbor…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-29-24, 12:22
In WWII, the Japanese somehow figured out that our carriers had to turn off their search radar in specific arc when bringing planes back on board.

tn1911
01-29-24, 13:16
How drone strike death of US soldiers in Jordan takes us a step closer to WW3 - as Trump has warned - and Biden's response could further drag in Britain and play directly into the hands of Putin

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13018111/ww3-drone-stike-death-soldiers-jordan-trump-warning-biden-response-putin.html

If the White House is not strong enough in its response, experts say Iran's proxies will remain undeterred and continue to carry out attacks. Too strong, and Biden risks plunging the Middle East into a deeper conflict.

Further escalation, one expert warns, 'would bring the Middle East to the precipice of a regional war', while another said they expect a 'expect a serious escalation around the corner.'

But in doing so, Biden also runs the risk of playing into the 'optimal scenario' for Vladimir Putin, whose war in Ukraine would benefit greatly from a wider conflict.

Meanwhile, one British MP warned that the escalation in the volatile region also affects the UK, saying that it could become a 'necessity' for Britain to get involved.

'It's important that the British people understand this: This is one example of many of the new era of insecurity that we've entered and that we need to prepare for,' said former Defence Select Committee chairman and soldier Tobias Ellwood.

Such concerns come amid fears that the wars in Europe and the Middle East could proliferate into something even larger, with former US president Donald Trump warning on Sunday: 'we are on the brink of World War Three'.

The US military said the attack occurred at a base near the Syrian border.

It did not name the base, but a person familiar with the matter identified it as Tower 22 in Jordan - a base which holds a strategically important location in Jordan, at the most northeastern point where the country's borders meet Syria and Iraq.

Iran's mission to the United Nations said in a statement on Monday that Tehran was not involved in the attack.

I bet they are saying that and Jordan is smart to distance themselves from this mess too.

Once the shit hits the Westinghouse every Arab whack a doodle over there will go crazy.

ViniVidivici
01-29-24, 13:45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just what I was thinking, and irresponsible as **** to put it out there like that. But that's par for the course for these morons.

ABNAK
01-29-24, 17:16

Yep, the first combat engagement by us in WWII was the USS Ward opening up on the Jap mini-sub trying to follow it into Pearl Harbor.

jsbhike
01-29-24, 17:18
Is this a new way of saying rocket or missile?

"a one-way unmanned aerial system (OWUAS)"

Pentagon releases names of 3 soldiers killed in drone attack in Jordan - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/soldiers-killed-jordan-names/

tn1911
01-29-24, 18:14
President Biden to authorize military action in the Middle East as early as tonight, he told allies in Europe , that’s why the story is first published by Sky News in Europe

https://twitter.com/simonateba/status/1752092973842534472

Averageman
01-29-24, 19:13
As much as I hate Iran, you have to question if it makes sense. They are ass*oles, but are they stupid ass*oles. I am doubting anyone is this stupid to make that many enemies at once and risk getting totally effed up for a long time. If it's being promoted by the MSM, you at least have to question it.

When you farm out the heavy lifting to the Houthis, you really bought more than you bargained for
Iran won't accept responsibility, but there's a 90% chance some goat f@cker thought he would get a pat on the back for this one

Coal Dragger
01-29-24, 20:12
President Biden to authorize military action in the Middle East as early as tonight, he told allies in Europe , that’s why the story is first published by Sky News in Europe

https://twitter.com/simonateba/status/1752092973842534472

We aren’t going to do shit.

Maybe drop some bombs on some sand.

The stupidity and dithering will continue while we waste lives and money.

Just think, we have 5 more years of this nonsense to enjoy!

utahjeepr
01-30-24, 08:33
Poopypantz is no doubt planning a massive bombing campaign. Dropping more pallets of cash on Iran.

Korgs130
01-30-24, 09:49

I’m with Chuckman. Deep down we all know that the vast majority of our fellow citizens do not have the will to see the latter through. So we won’t do either. Videos of Hornets launching off a carrier at night are super cool and show the folks at home that we’re “doing something.”

chuckman
02-03-24, 12:50
I am surprised this has not been updated following our retaliation. Jordan got in on the action.

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/us-response-drone-strike-soldiers

Coal Dragger
02-03-24, 13:22
So we bombed some sand and unimportant targets that no one cares about?

The dithering continues.

titsonritz
02-03-24, 17:12
So we bombed some sand and unimportant targets that no one cares about?

The dithering continues.

Mike Glover on Fox basically saying the same thing about FJB’s weakass response to dead Americans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSIaL9edMIY

ABNAK
02-03-24, 20:25
For the last 50+ years Democrats have been international PUSSIES.

tn1911
02-04-24, 09:31
For the last 50+ years Democrats have been international PUSSIES.

Joe takes that to a whole new level of cowardice, remember he was the only one who was against the UBL raid. Say what you will about Carter but he had some balls giving the green light for Operation Eagle Claw.

chuckman
02-04-24, 14:08
Joe takes that to a whole new level of cowardice, remember he was the only one who was against the UBL raid. Say what you will about Carter but he had some balls giving the green light for Operation Eagle Claw.

The Guts to Try, an excellent book about that op in which the author has very favorable things to say about Carter and Eagle Claw. Beckwith likewise had complementary things to say about Carter regarding that op.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-04-24, 14:18
Every day... "Day xxx of the Iranian hostage crisis"... 100, 200, 300, 400... it was brutal. No president could survive that daily countdown of Americans held hostage.

ABNAK
02-04-24, 18:16
Every day... "Day xxx of the Iranian hostage crisis"... 100, 200, 300, 400... it was brutal. No president could survive that daily countdown of Americans held hostage.

Carter didn't deserve to survive it.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-05-24, 05:20

Agree. He earned the boot on multiple levels.

chuckman
02-05-24, 07:28

Agree. He earned the boot on multiple levels.

I agree, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I give the man credit where it's due. An awful president, but he got that right.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-05-24, 07:38
I agree, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I give the man credit where it's due. An awful president, but he got that right.

In recognition of the Carter presidency.

https://i.imgur.com/yUaWxb0.jpg

titsonritz
02-05-24, 11:16
In recognition of the Carter presidency.

https://i.imgur.com/yUaWxb0.jpg

He can now finally die knowing he wasn’t the biggest POS to reside in the White House.

Hush
02-05-24, 11:18
My grandfather was an upperclassmen at the Naval Academy and Carter was his plebe, at the end of his life my grandfather said his biggest regret was "not kicking that little peanut Farmer's ass"

ABNAK
02-05-24, 18:08

Eagle Claw was primarily aborted due to equipment failures. Maybe Carter's policy of cutting defense spending could have contributed to it? Not seeking an argument at all, but Jimmy was a dove and the fact that he called on the tip of the spear to perform but yet advocated cutting $$$ to the DoD might've backfired (?). I dunno, but I remember it during my early high school years.

At the time (late 70's, maybe early 80) I recall seeing a newspaper editorial page cartoon showing Carter standing on the downhill side of a ridge holding up a crucifix, as a Soviet tank crested the top.

chuckman
02-05-24, 19:05
Eagle Claw was primarily aborted due to equipment failures. Maybe Carter's policy of cutting defense spending could have contributed to it? Not seeking an argument at all, but Jimmy was a dove and the fact that he called on the tip of the spear to perform but yet advocated cutting $$$ to the DoD might've backfired (?). I dunno, but I remember it during my early high school years.

At the time (late 70's, maybe early 80) I recall seeing a newspaper editorial page cartoon showing Carter standing on the downhill side of a ridge holding up a crucifix, as a Soviet tank crested the top.

His administration put a crapload of money into Delta. I don't think the failure was equipment failure so much as it was no training, no interservice communications, and doctrinal differences.

That said, his abhorrent policies totally dismantled the military at large.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-05-24, 19:32

His administration put a crapload of money into Delta. I don't think the failure was equipment failure so much as it was no training, no interservice communications, and doctrinal differences.

From what I’ve read we were ‘lucky’ that it went sideways out in the desert and before they got into town. The plan in town read like a Tom Clancy script before any vetting. Was it going to be C130s RATOing out of a soccer stadium? At best we would have given them more hostages, more likely we’d have killed a bunch of the hostages. And all this in the middle of Tehran for them to be able to get great imagery.

This was only a few years after Vietnam, when we had carpet bombed North Vietnam. I don’t know why the plan wasn’t “give us back our people, or we’ll remove you from the international oil game”. Maybe you don’t’ do it, but that might have gotten the Eurowenies off their asses.

ABNAK
02-05-24, 20:11

There were eight of the CH-53's required, but could go as low as six. Five made it to Desert One, another was caught in a windstorm but the other two had mechanical failures (that was my point about budget-cutting by Carter affecting readiness), so they failed to meet the minimum required and scrubbed the mission. The crash and fatalities were after the abort order was given.

ABNAK
02-05-24, 20:15
From what I’ve read we were ‘lucky’ that it went sideways out in the desert and before they got into town. The plan in town read like a Tom Clancy script before any vetting. Was it going to be C130s RATOing out of a soccer stadium? At best we would have given them more hostages, more likely we’d have killed a bunch of the hostages. And all this in the middle of Tehran for them to be able to get great imagery.

No lie! I recall the first time I read about what was actually supposed to go down after Desert One and was like "WTF!?!?" They were gonna try to pull shit out of their asses and not have a scrap of poop on any finger in the process! While I give the planners credit for having balls, jeez that mission had "Murphy's" finger prints all over the steering wheel.

chuckman
02-06-24, 06:01
There were eight of the CH-53's required, but could go as low as six. Five made it to Desert One, another was caught in a windstorm but the other two had mechanical failures (that was my point about budget-cutting by Carter affecting readiness), so they failed to meet the minimum required and scrubbed the mission. The crash and fatalities were after the abort order was given.

Those helo's were as fickle as hell, especially in the desert. Everyone knew that. Budget-cutting may or may not have had a role, to what extent of any I don't know.

chuckman
02-06-24, 06:03

This was only a few years after Vietnam, when we had carpet bombed North Vietnam. I don’t know why the plan wasn’t “give us back our people, or we’ll remove you from the international oil game”. Maybe you don’t’ do it, but that might have gotten the Eurowenies off their asses.

No lie! I recall the first time I read about what was actually supposed to go down after Desert One and was like "WTF!?!?" They were gonna try to pull shit out of their asses and not have a scrap of poop on any finger in the process! While I give the planners credit for having balls, jeez that mission had "Murphy's" finger prints all over the steering wheel.

Just a few years prior special operations was successful in the planning and implementation of the Son Toy raid, so a lot of the planners I think were caught up in the false sense of success based on that.

Had they got to Tehran I imagine things would have gone very difficultly.

Lacos
02-07-24, 16:35
Drone strike takes out high ranking commander

“The strike, which occurred on a main thoroughfare in Baghdad's Mashtal neighborhood, was considered a "high-value individual target," Fox News is told.”

https://www.foxnews.com/world/drone-strike-baghdad-kills-high-ranking-commander-involved-attack-that-killed-3-us-soldiers

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-07-24, 19:27
Just a few years prior special operations was successful in the planning and implementation of the Son Toy raid, so a lot of the planners I think were caught up in the false sense of success based on that.

Had they got to Tehran I imagine things would have gone very difficultly.

Just found it odd that during the Son Toy raid, the navy did a false attack on Haiphong. Why not do the real thing, or were we not bombing at that point? 27 min from start to finish, with one screw up that they covered for. Pretty slick.