PDA

View Full Version : Geissele gritty first stage SSA-E

Javon
02-10-24, 18:29
I have roughly 12-14 Geissele SSA-E’s (installed way more for friends & colleges), itÂ’s my favorite overall trigger. However this last one has a gritty, rough sandpaper like first stage take up, and then breaks as normal on the second stage like an icicle. Does anyone know what could cause this? I saw a long, rough burr line on the sear, and also, the hammer has worn off its coating only on one side and not on the other (the first and second stage doesnÂ’t stand up straight, it has a slight canÂ’t to the right).

Installed on a Aero mil spec lower for a SD build. Anyone ever experience it? Geissele told me to ship it to them on my dime and theyÂ’ll look at it, but IÂ’d rather fix it myself (if possible). If this is supposed to go in the technical discussion I apologize, IÂ’m new here. Thanks.

EDIT - I have no round through this, the wear just came from racking it and dry firing. I also installed another new SSA-E, in the same lower as a test, and it had no problems at all, was perfect like the rest.

georgeib
02-10-24, 18:56
Sounds like one dropped through the cracks. Ship it back. Those surfaces are EDM cut, and I don't see how you would be able to fix it to the point where it would be indistinguishable from one of your others. Besides, even if you were able to match the geometry and smoothness, the surface hardness would be altered. They will replace it.

ST911
02-10-24, 18:57
Best course of action is to return it as instructed.

Javon
02-10-24, 19:01
Sounds like one dropped through the cracks. Ship it back. Those surfaces are EDM cut, and I don't see how you would be able to fix it to the point where it would be indistinguishable from one of your others. Besides, even if you were able to match the geometry and smoothness, the surface hardness would be altered. They will replace it.

Those are all excellent points. Going to follow your advice.

Best course of action is to return it as instructed.

ThatÂ’s what IÂ’m going to do. Thank you.

ItÂ’s hard to see because of the resolution but you can see a burr, like when sharpening a knife. IÂ’m sure theyÂ’ll take care of it. All their stuff is perfect imo.

HKGuns
02-10-24, 19:04
I probably have a few more than you and have never had this happen.

I just checked the one I put in my most recent build, finished last week, and it is smooth as butter on the first stage.

Agree send it back.

titsonritz
02-10-24, 21:43
I also have several G triggers, never had an issue with one being gritty. I agree, return it, they cost too much to accept that.

DoubleW
02-11-24, 08:17
Return it. They’ll repair or replace it.

Javon
02-11-24, 14:35
I probably have a few more than you and have never had this happen.

I just checked the one I put in my most recent build, finished last week, and it is smooth as butter on the first stage.

Agree send it back.

Thanks guys, I’m definitely sending it back. But just out of personal curiosity because I’ve installed & own so many & so do you, from the photo, what do you think it is? Do you think it’s the rough metal burr line I pointed the red arrow to on the sear? Or impossible to tell if not in person? Just curious what you thought might be the cause because many of you guys installed even more than me. I don’t mean to nerd out, but I can’t stop contemplating what the cause it. Thanks.

Uncas47
02-11-24, 14:40
Thanks guys, I’m definitely sending it back. But just out of personal curiosity because I’ve installed & own so many & so do you, from the photo, what do you think it is? Do you think it’s the rough metal burr line I pointed the red arrow to on the sear? Or impossible to tell if not in person? Just curious what you thought might be the cause because many of you guys installed even more than me. I don’t mean to nerd out, but I can’t stop contemplating what the cause it. Thanks.
Put it back in a lower, pad the hammer strike, and observe. If it's the burr it should be readily apparent. A Geissele with a burr is no bueno anyway. Canted hammer could be the lower, whatever. Some f***y shit going on there, may be more than just Geissele, just sayin.

DoubleW
02-11-24, 14:50
All their stuff is perfect imo.

I can absolutely assure you that is not true. But they do have great CS and will fix this for you.

Javon
02-11-24, 16:43
Put it back in a lower, pad the hammer strike, and observe. If it's the burr it should be readily apparent. A Geissele with a burr is no bueno anyway. Canted hammer could be the lower, whatever. Some f***y shit going on there, may be more than just Geissele, just sayin.

Everything you said makes 100%. I thought of the lower being out of spec, thatÂ’s why I installed another new SSA-E I already had (I mentioned it above along with the photo) and it worked perfectly. So thatÂ’s why I think it might be the burr. You can clearly see the burr in the photo if you zoom in. I was thinking about filing the burr off but was afraid IÂ’d screw it up and/or void the warranty with Geissele.

I can absolutely assure you that is not true. But they do have great CS and will fix this for you.

Fair enough, youÂ’re right. I guess IÂ’m just a little biased towards Geissele because after 15 years everything IÂ’ve bought & used (other folks stuff too) has been perfect.

Uncas47
02-11-24, 17:14
Everything you said makes 100%. I thought of the lower being out of spec, that’s why I installed another new SSA-E I already had (I mentioned it above along with the photo) and it worked perfectly. So that’s why I think it might be the burr. You can clearly see the burr in the photo if you zoom in. I was thinking about filing the burr off but was afraid I’d screw it up and/or void the warranty with Geissele.

If you file the burr, Geissele will tell you to pound sand.

Javon
02-11-24, 18:42

Yeah, you’re right. Someone earlier in this thread said not to do that also for functional reasons besides warranty reasons. Geissele will take care of it. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

titsonritz
02-11-24, 20:29

Pretty much and I wouldn’t blame them. Return it and let.them deal with it.

Honest Abe
02-11-24, 20:59
Let Geissele look at it, and DO NOT TOUCH IT! I have SSA-E's in my 4 AR-15's...the first one I paid $300 for from Geissele and it was such a great trigger I bought 3 more from PSA when they had them on sale for $150. The first one was a large pin Colt with a sear block (Colt Sporter HBAR). Geissele was the only place I could get a great trigger for my Colt...I ground the top of the sear-block off so I could put a full auto bolt carrier without the exposed firing pin. With 52 grain match ammo I fired a 100 6x in rapid sitting even with the stupid sear-bock. That is with a 1/7 twist and it shoots just as good with 69 grain, 75 grain, and 77 grain...I love that Colt!!!!!

Javon
02-12-24, 11:26
Let Geissele look at it, and DO NOT TOUCH IT! I have SSA-E's in my 4 AR-15's...the first one I paid $300 for from Geissele and it was such a great trigger I bought 3 more from PSA when they had them on sale for $150. The first one was a large pin Colt with a sear block (Colt Sporter HBAR). Geissele was the only place I could get a great trigger for my Colt...I ground the top of the sear-block off so I could put a full auto bolt carrier without the exposed firing pin. With 52 grain match ammo I fired a 100 6x in rapid sitting even with the stupid sear-bock. That is with a 1/7 twist and it shoots just as good with 69 grain, 75 grain, and 77 grain...I love that Colt!!!!!

That’s exactly what I’m going to do. The folks at Geissele seem like really nice good people besides having top notch products. I have total confidence they will take care of this.

vicious_cb
02-14-24, 00:57
Everything you said makes 100%. I thought of the lower being out of spec, thatÂ’s why I installed another new SSA-E I already had (I mentioned it above along with the photo) and it worked perfectly. So thatÂ’s why I think it might be the burr. You can clearly see the burr in the photo if you zoom in. I was thinking about filing the burr off but was afraid IÂ’d screw it up and/or void the warranty with Geissele.

Fair enough, youÂ’re right. I guess IÂ’m just a little biased towards Geissele because after 15 years everything IÂ’ve bought & used (other folks stuff too) has been perfect.

Im not seeing the burr, in the first pic and burr that would affect the trigger feel would be on the underside of the disconnector hook not the side, the 2nd pic is the top of your hammer that only interfaces with the underside your bolt carrier, pretty much irrelevant to the trigger pull. Not exactly what you are trying to point at in your 3rd pic. You should be able to feel any roughness with your finger on the engagement surfaces because Im not really seeing anything in your pictures other than your FCG looking like is off center. As Ucas said your lower doesnt look right for some reason. What brand lower is that?

Javon
02-14-24, 03:46
Im not seeing the burr, in the first pic and burr that would affect the trigger feel would be on the underside of the disconnector hook not the side, the 2nd pic is the top of your hammer that only interfaces with the underside your bolt carrier, pretty much irrelevant to the trigger pull. Not exactly what you are trying to point at in your 3rd pic. You should be able to feel any roughness with your finger on the engagement surfaces because Im not really seeing anything in your pictures other than your FCG looking like is off center. As Ucas said your lower doesnt look right for some reason. What brand lower is that?

If what your saying about the burr is true (although I have a red arrow pointing to the starting of it) not effecting it because itÂ’s on the other side then I was wrong and itÂ’s something else. However I understand what your describing about the hammer only having wear on the very top (thatÂ’s how all my other GeisseleÂ’s are too - just the normal wear from rubbing against the bottom of the Reciprocating bolt carrier - however if you look at the second photo (itÂ’s taken sideways) the wear is only on one side going from the bottom to the top (IÂ’ve never seen that before) but again, that may not be the cause of the issue (IÂ’m just guessing asking for your guys opinions). On the third photo youÂ’re absolutely right, it is off center (my other GeisseleÂ’s are all dead center). However I installed the trigger in two other striped lowers and it was the exact same off center (those two striped lowers was an Aero and a Spikes tactical). The original lower was a stripped Aero lower (with one of those PDQ buttons installed from
Aero, not me). So maybe itÂ’s gritty because itÂ’s off center (maybe a bent pin, something else - I donÂ’t know, just guessing).

It doesnÂ’t really matter, Geissele has top level customer service (everyone IÂ’ve ever talked to there is incredibly knowledgeable, kind and professional and seem eager to resolve any issue). As I said in 15 years of buying tons of their stuff NOTHING has gone wrong. IÂ’ve only ever had to call them for technical support. IÂ’m sure this trigger would work fine if I shot it, I just donÂ’t like gritty 1st stage. Anyway I sent it back so IÂ’m sure theyÂ’ll take care of it. Not worried.

If what your saying about the burr is true (although I have a red arrow pointing to the starting of it) not effecting it because itÂ’s on the other side then I was wrong and itÂ’s something else. However I understand what your describing about the hammer only having wear on the very top (thatÂ’s how all my other GeisseleÂ’s are too - just the normal wear from rubbing against the bottom of the Reciprocating bolt carrier - however if you look at the second photo (itÂ’s taken sideways) the wear is only on one side going from the bottom to the top (IÂ’ve never seen that before) but again, that may not be the cause of the issue (IÂ’m just guessing asking for your guys opinions). On the third photo youÂ’re absolutely right, it is off center (my other GeisseleÂ’s are all dead center). However I installed the trigger in two other striped lowers and it was the exact same off center (those two striped lowers was an Aero and a Spikes tactical). The original lower was a stripped Aero lower (with one of those PDQ buttons installed from
Aero, not me). So maybe itÂ’s gritty because itÂ’s off center (maybe a bent pin, something else - I donÂ’t know, just guessing).

It doesnÂ’t really matter, Geissele has top level customer service (everyone IÂ’ve ever talked to there is incredibly knowledgeable, kind and professional and seem eager to resolve any issue). As I said in 15 years of buying tons of their stuff NOTHING has gone wrong. IÂ’ve only ever had to call them for technical support. IÂ’m sure this trigger would work fine if I shot it, I just donÂ’t like gritty 1st stage. Anyway I sent it back so IÂ’m sure theyÂ’ll take care of it. Not worried.

EDIT - I just want to make one thing perfectly clear. The whole reason I started the this thread was to pick all of your experienced brains to see if I could fix it without having to send it back, maybe I was doing something wrong and didnÂ’t know it and would learn it from you guys. This is absolutely no knock against Geissele whatsoever- just the opposite, I will continue to be a Geissele customer & fan regardless of this trigger. I think they make the best stuff imo.

Uncas47
02-14-24, 09:13
I'm beginning to gag a little on the Geissele perfection.

HKGuns
02-14-24, 09:34
I'm gagging a little that this thread is still going.

It isn't that complicated, send it back.

markm
02-14-24, 09:56
I'm gagging a little that this thread is still going.

It isn't that complicated, send it back.

It's a site tradition. I can't count how many times I have had to open a thread to see why it's still taking posts.

kirkland
02-14-24, 19:23
I was thinking the same thing lol, why is this thread on the 3rd page?

Javon
03-08-24, 22:37
I just wanted to finish this thread by letting everyone know that Geissele took care of everything and made everything right. Their techs said after inspecting and testing it “ Our techs found your trigger to have some small divits in the surface and also was an older revision.” They sent me out a new one and it’s absolutely PERFECT like all the others. I just felt I had to make this post to give maximum credit and thanks to Geissele for having incredible customer service. They are also genuinely good, very nice people (I spoke to several different guys) too. I just wanted to thank Geissele for taking care of me and to tell everyone to buy their stuff with 100% confidence. Outstanding.

RUTGERS95
03-09-24, 07:10
returning 'on your dime' is such a classless way to operate. Basically saying their qc is above reproach

did they reimburse the shipping?