PDA

View Full Version : Best Survival Rifle?

Whalstib
02-11-24, 09:29
Howdy!

I live full time in RV and travel way too much to states with harsh AR laws. Problem is I put EVERYTHING at risk if I get get caught somehow.

I'm considering trading DDM4 for a scout or cool lever action cowboy rifle. I had a very sweet Marlin years ago, a JM, I wish was still around....

Even if I keep and stash the AR and mags I'd like to have a cowboy I can have at hand. For instance I want to boondock in CA and meet friends. I'll be alone for a few days with probably a ranger swinging by so don't want the AR out BUT I could have a cowboy right there ready to go with no problems.

Bolt action Scout's obviously don't have the semi-auto quickness but have other advantages.

Bolt or lever off the LEO radar for the most part so I'd be safe....

Intrigued with the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout...

Thanks!

ChattanoogaPhil
02-11-24, 09:47
I don’t know about the “best” but I have a Marlin 1894 .357. Muzzle velocity exceeds 2000fps with 125gr.

gaijin
02-11-24, 09:50
The Winchester m92 is a Classic lever gun in pistol caliber cartridges, think smaller frame m 86.
Thinking along the lines you lay out I’d consider a Rossi reproduction. They offer classic m92 or an “updated” version with plastic stock and Picatinny rail you could mount a Red Dot on.
And yeah, .357 is the route I’d go. A 180 gr. WFNGC has some horsepower.

https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-action-rifles

Whalstib
02-11-24, 10:02
I don’t know about the “best” but I have a Marlin 1894 .357. Muzzle velocity exceeds 2000fps with 125gr.

I was playing with a current Marlin...maybe 2 years ago now and the action was stiff and the lever would jam if not pulled directly back. Any side motion and it would jam....

I had a JM model years ago that was super cool! But the octagon barrel .357 was always on my radar!

The thing is I can work on ARs but not so much on bolts and levers so I want to go high end low maintenance...."buy the best and cry once" approach!

Thanks!

StainlessSteelRat
02-11-24, 11:17
We RV in CA often, as we have family behind the Iron Curtain. I usually have an old Marlin 336C in .30-30 aboard. It's a pretty non- threatening option, as most people see it as a relatively benign old cowboy gun. I'm not sure, but I think you can pass through with something legal in your state of origin, although you might run into the wrong copper these days. I can see where you could get jammed up on "passing through." I prefer to not push my luck.

ABNAK
02-11-24, 11:35
Yeah another vote for a .357 lever gun. Rossi has both a 16" and a 20" version, or you can pony-up $1300 for the new Marlin. Get a spicey 158gr SJHP like Underwood loads and you'll be hitting 1750-1900fps (depending on barrel length). That round at those velocities would be devastating.

kerplode
02-11-24, 11:36
The Winchester m92 is a Classic lever gun in pistol caliber cartridges, think smaller frame m 86.
Thinking along the lines you lay out I’d consider a Rossi reproduction. They offer classic m92 or an “updated” version with plastic stock and Picatinny rail you could mount a Red Dot on.
And yeah, .357 is the route I’d go. A 180 gr. WFNGC has some horsepower.

https://rossiusa.com/rifles/lever-action-rifles

Yeah, I think 357Mag is the way to go. Either the R92 or a Big Box X if you manage to find one, but they're kind of unobtanium. R92 seem to be decently available, though. Probably not as nice as the Henry, but they seem pretty solid. I got to screw around with a 16" R92 in 45 Colt the other day and it was pretty sweet. Light, handy, powerful. Perfect "Truck Gun"

Now, all that being said, I don't bother traveling with a firearm anymore. Too many ways for shit to go wrong and end up in jail somewhere over some bullshit law I didn't understand or some gung-ho cop I had the misfortune to bump into.

Heavyweight
02-11-24, 12:16
I’m going to pick this rifle up from Grabagun next week.

https://grabagun.com/rossi-r92-carbine-gray-357-mag-20-barrel-10-rounds.html

I’ll give a report when I get it to the range. I can’t think of a better rifle for the OP’s purpose.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChattanoogaPhil
02-11-24, 12:31
I was playing with a current Marlin...maybe 2 years ago now and the action was stiff and the lever would jam if not pulled directly back. Any side motion and it would jam....

I had a JM model years ago that was super cool! But the octagon barrel .357 was always on my radar!

The thing is I can work on ARs but not so much on bolts and levers so I want to go high end low maintenance...."buy the best and cry once" approach!

Thanks!

Interesting. My 1894 was purchased new in 2019. The action has been 100% reliable (never shot 38s) and is relatively smooth which irritates an acquaintance at the club with a Henry .357 that isn't. The action on my old JM 30-30 is decent.

If you're looking for something easy stow in your RV, prefer an octagon barrel, and want to err on the side of quality... you might consider the Winchester 1892 Deluxe Trapper Takedown .357.

02-11-24, 12:42
Another vote for a Marlin in 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum or 30-30. Caliber would be your choice, and depending on that decision, you could match it to a revolver in the same caliber.
In addition to the lever rifle, if I were you, I would also keep a 12ga pump shotgun in the RV. A second option for self defense, as well as for birds and animals big or small.

m1a_scoutguy
02-11-24, 13:00
Outstanding ideal for sure! I have a Henry 357 full size, not the carbine, it's the newer model with the side loading gate, man what a great rifle! I wanted the Henry for a while so that's what I bought, action is smooth, and the trigger is great. I see the Rossi and it looks like a great rifle also @ a lower price. My Henry will hold 11 357 with one in the chamber and 12 38 specials with one in also, that's pretty badass. I see S&W has come out with a lever action also, it's in 44mag and others but not 357 at the moment, MSRP is around $1200+ but good luck on that if it was your choice.

pinzgauer
02-11-24, 13:38
I love my 41 mag Henry lever gun carbine, and use it for deer hunting lately just for fun.

But if I had to have just one it would be something like a Tikka or Ruger American in 308 or 223. Low power variable scope. Have the option to use AR type mags but can also have it look just like a plain hunting rifle.

The issue with lever actions is they do not have the camming action that a bolt gun does and are a lot pickier with reloaded, corroded, dented ammo.

Likewise if they jam it's very difficult to get it to unjam in the field. I've had multiple friends that have had lever guns jam when hunting and they were out of business till they could get home.

308 or 223 for ammo availability. I love 357 and reload for it, but it is very expensive over the counter and quite often hard to find at times. Then again I shoot 41 mag in the Henry and a Blackhawk, but I know it's a reloading game and have that pretty streamlined.

With the 41 carbine I limit my shots to 100 yds. So I use a small receiver mounted red dot. 41 is flatter shooting than the 44, and has more steam than the 357. But all of them are pistol cartridges which are effective at short range but you're going to be at a disadvantage at 50 yards and beyond.

That may not be an issue for you and if you want a rock a cowboy 357 you'd be doing it with style :-)

ABNAK
02-11-24, 14:19
I love my 41 mag Henry lever gun carbine, and use it for deer hunting lately just for fun.

But if I had to have just one it would be something like a Tikka or Ruger American in 308 or 223. Low power variable scope. Have the option to use AR type mags but can also have it look just like a plain hunting rifle.

The issue with lever actions is they do not have the camming action that a bolt gun does and are a lot pickier with reloaded, corroded, dented ammo.

Likewise if they jam it's very difficult to get it to unjam in the field. I've had multiple friends that have had lever guns jam when hunting and they were out of business till they could get home.

308 or 223 for ammo availability. I love 357 and reload for it, but it is very expensive over the counter and quite often hard to find at times. Then again I shoot 41 mag in the Henry and a Blackhawk, but I know it's a reloading game and have that pretty streamlined.

With the 41 carbine I limit my shots to 100 yds. So I use a small receiver mounted red dot. 41 is flatter shooting than the 44, and has more steam than the 357. But all of them are pistol cartridges which are effective at short range but you're going to be at a disadvantage at 50 yards and beyond.

That may not be an issue for you and if you want a rock a cowboy 357 you'd be doing it with style :-)

I'd say that with a .357 out of a 16" or 20" barrel you'd be good to 100yds.

soulezoo
02-11-24, 14:24
Lever in .30-30. I have a Henry now in .45-70 (and an old m94 Win in .30-30). I compared the Marlins vs Henry before I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and the Henry was just a higher quality product. But I don't think you can go wrong with either. The .30-30 has more punch and range than anything pistol caliber and kick from the 30 is quite mild. Most of the new levers have the ability to mount red dots or scopes.
If you can find an old Savage model 99 in .300 Savage in good shape, I think that's also a good choice. (Another rifle I have, but have retired)

Lacos
02-11-24, 15:00
If you can find one at decent price, IMI Timberwolf carbine in .357 or .44 magnum. Semi autos, M1 carbine, Ruger Mini-14, Mini-30.

uffdaphil
02-11-24, 16:41
I’d highly recommend a Rossi .357 lever 92 with a cowboy action job. Mine was from a smith on gunbroker who offered the job as an option. Lever is one finger and trigger very nice. Unfortunately I’ve lost the guy’s name. Was in AZ IIRC.

Send it...
02-11-24, 18:26
Kel tec rifle?

hotbiggun42
02-11-24, 18:59
No experience with them but those new M&P foldable carbines look pretty darn good

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/fpc

Coal Dragger
02-11-24, 19:38
In this situation I would try something like a strait pull bolt gun in .308.

So Blaser R8 if you’re bucks up, or the “new” Beretta BRX1 if you don’t have $5K to dump into a rifle.

Both are strait pull bolt guns so you get excellent primary extraction of a bolt action. They’re both chambered for real rifle cartridges. They’re both faster to cycle than a conventional bolt gun. They both have excellent safeties that render them inert when safed by de-cocking the striker (Blaser) or the hammer (Beretta). They’re both ambidextrous if needed. They can both switch barrels to different calibers etc.

Beretta developed and tested the BRX1 to NATO acceptance standards. The rifle has developed a following in Europe the last couple of years.

So I would probably go BRX1 in .308, and maybe have the stock 20” bbl trimmed down to 16”-17” and re-threaded. Then find a good red dot or LPVO to mount on it. Get a couple of spare 5 round magazines, a sling, and maybe figure out a way to mount a scout light.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/brx1-black-FA0112

Beretta already has a tactical prototype running SR-25 mags.

AKDoug
02-11-24, 19:46
Pump shotguns are legal pretty much everywhere. A 12ga is extremely versatile from self defense to hunting birds to big game. Barrels are easy to swap.

pinzgauer
02-11-24, 19:59
I'd say that with a .357 out of a 16" or 20" barrel you'd be good to 100yds.Looks like with the 140 XTP out of a 16 you can be plus or minus 2 in out to 125 yards so I would agree.

Energy at that range is still double the muzzle energy of a 9 mm pistol so there is that.

I would really read up on anything other than the Henry's if you're looking new. There's a lot of reports of problems with recent Rossi's such as plastic followers and MIM. I know the older ones can be quite good values.

I love savage 99s, but they can also be finicky and are also getting expensive.

I guess our definition of survival rifle varies... You could do worse but it wouldn't be my first pick. As much fun as they are.

B Cart
02-12-24, 12:18
I love my Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag, and agree something like that would be a good choice. I run a red dot on mine and it's a slick setup with almost no recoil.

I also think a good semi auto shotgun isn't a bad idea for your application, and you can get some distance with good slugs if needed. Something like a 1301 Tactical or A300 Patrol would fit the bill nicely, and give you semi-auto capability, and shotguns seem widely accepted in most places.

nick84
02-12-24, 18:47
I could be mistaken, but I think the M1A still goes well in this scenario. IIRC, without the pistol grip, it can go most places legally. It has 5 and 10 round mags available, pretty easy to mount an optic or red dot, and reasonably reliable when maintained. Assuming I'm not wrong on the legality issue, this would be my pick for your needs.

titsonritz
02-12-24, 20:21
I could be mistaken, but I think the M1A still goes well in this scenario. IIRC, without the pistol grip, it can go most places legally. It has 5 and 10 round mags available, pretty easy to mount an optic or red dot, and reasonably reliable when maintained. Assuming I'm not wrong on the legality issue, this would be my pick for your needs.

As long as it has a traditional stock, no bayonet lug or flash suppressor.

mrbieler
02-13-24, 09:04
My California friendly pair are a Henry big boy steel in .357 and a cmp garand in .308. Both sporting H2 aimpoints.

hotbiggun42
02-13-24, 09:39
Pump shotguns are legal pretty much everywhere. A 12ga is extremely versatile from self defense to hunting birds to big game. Barrels are easy to swap.

If caring about the optics of your choice in self defense this is the answere. Truth is any firearm used in self defense in Cali will no doubt be life changing.

StainlessSteelRat
02-13-24, 09:56
If caring about the optics of your choice in self defense this is the answere. Truth is any firearm used in self defense in Cali will no doubt be life changing.

I'd think it would depend on where it happens. In any of the rural conservative counties, providing its a good shoot, chances are you'd be OK. In any of the commie counties, not so much.

AndyLate
02-14-24, 07:38
I’d highly recommend a Rossi .357 lever 92 with a cowboy action job. Mine was from a smith on gunbroker who offered the job as an option. Lever is one finger and trigger very nice. Unfortunately I’ve lost the guy’s name. Was in AZ IIRC.

This or a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Not because of "power" but because the '94 was designed for that cartridge length. The pistol caliber lever guns hold more ammunition, a pretty significant advantage, and the 357 and 44 magnums effective range is well past legally defensible for a private citizen.

I love my Marlins but the Winchester rifles' open receiver top makes clearing a rare malfunction much easier.

Andy

Caduceus
02-14-24, 20:10
I'd recommend a .44 or .45Colt over a .357 if you're playing with lever actions. Bigger bullets, similar velocities.

Yes, a bit pricier.

Or a Garand.

ThirdWatcher
02-14-24, 20:46
My Winchester 94AE .30-30 Trapper (16” bbl) is sure a handy little carbine. Only holds 4+1 but it’s not that hard to reload.

Coal Dragger
02-15-24, 01:06
If I’m going to have a rifle it should be chambered for rifle cartridges. This isn’t 1880 on the frontier where you have to consider difficult logistics and availability, along with more limited conveyance.

If the OP is dead set on a lever gat, buy a .30-30 and be done with it. It will do rifle things that pistol caliber lever gats will struggle with. Especially if you feed it Hornady soft polymer tipped Spitzer style bullets.

AndyLate
02-15-24, 06:27
There is a reason the 94s were ubiquitous for nearly a century. Very light and thin/compact with useful range. They also tend to be very reliable as long as you work that lever with some vigor. The longish skinny tapered cartridges feed slick (25-35, 30-30, 32 WS) and are pretty decisive within 150-200 yards.

All that said, I would prefer a 357, 44, 45 with more rounds on tap if the pistol caliber carbine has the same reliability.

Andy

P.S. I always wanted a Trapper model 94 just because they are dead sexy in my eyes. Not the highest priority for a defensive rifle, admittedly.

ThirdWatcher
02-15-24, 08:01
FWIW, we familiarized with the Winchester 94 .30-30 (20” bbl) when I attended the Academy in ‘79 (because that’s what the Sergeants were issued; we were issued Winchester Model 12 Riot Guns). All those old Winchesters have been replaced now but they did the job for a long time.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-19-24, 19:21
I would give the old Steyr Scout a good look. But if you want a lever action you might as well get a 45-70. MAKE THAT &$*$ count if you can't have a super dangerous AR lol.

matemike
02-20-24, 00:54
First thing's first. No one should know what you have on you. If you are law abiding, this should be an easy task.
Before a long gun, do you have a pistol of some sort? CA compliant even?

We RV'd around the east coast with a pistol on board last year. No problems had.
If I RV'd as my livelihood I would have a SG and a LA rifle as well.

My vote goes for a 357 snub nose revolver, a 357 LA and a standard 12G pump. All universally accepted.

ryr8828
02-20-24, 08:37
Howdy!

I live full time in RV and travel way too much to states with harsh AR laws. Problem is I put EVERYTHING at risk if I get get caught somehow.

I'm considering trading DDM4 for a scout or cool lever action cowboy rifle. I had a very sweet Marlin years ago, a JM, I wish was still around....

Even if I keep and stash the AR and mags I'd like to have a cowboy I can have at hand. For instance I want to boondock in CA and meet friends. I'll be alone for a few days with probably a ranger swinging by so don't want the AR out BUT I could have a cowboy right there ready to go with no problems.

Bolt action Scout's obviously don't have the semi-auto quickness but have other advantages.

Bolt or lever off the LEO radar for the most part so I'd be safe....

Intrigued with the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Scout...

Thanks!

Maybe you have to travel in your rv for work, you didn't say, so if you do just ignore my post.

My money is too valuable to me to spend it in places that have no respect for my rights. I'm sitting here typing this in my 43 ft diesel pusher parked in Florida for the winter. My home state, IL, yanked my rights away last year with their assault weapons ban so I had to haul a safe full of guns down here to my lot, or register them, or take a chance on jail and losing them. I chose to move them. I've lived in IL for 67 years and now I'm trying to figure out how to deal with my house and property and all my other possessions there. I'm kind of trapped on the IL thing right now.

I however will not travel in my motorhome to places that deny my rights. So the west coast is off limits. The northeast is off limits. They have nothing I need to see so bad that I'll modify my behavior and they've proven they don't want my money.

So unless you're trapped by work just don't go anywhere that's trying to make you a felon. It's an rv, you can use it in free states.

kerplode
02-20-24, 10:20
First thing's first. No one should know what you have on you. If you are law abiding, this should be an easy task.

Yeah until you have to use it for something, then they'll screw you into the ground.

And every day, all over this great nation, "law abiding citizens" have their lives upended by law enforcement over bullshit. "It won't happen to you" right up to the point that it does.

henri
02-20-24, 18:21
Interesting post.... for states that are anti 2A where any semi auto, be it pistol or rifle, is suspect or prohibited, I second the SG/Revolver choice. In the two states with egregious laws that I visit/reside in for short periods, I keep a Beretta 1301 and S&W 8 shot .357 model 627 (2.6" barrel) in each; pocket carry is 340PD. Basic arms, capable, yet benign in appearance and no untoward attention to draw.

matemike
02-20-24, 22:13
What is your state of residence?
I could be wrong, but I thought you could always file or claim a "passing through" situation and be clear of any wrongdoing so long as you are following your home state's laws.

utahjeepr
02-21-24, 08:52
What is your state of residence?
I could be wrong, but I thought you could always file or claim a "passing through" situation and be clear of any wrongdoing so long as you are following your home state's laws.

Can't recall the specific law you are referring to, it's been a while since I had to deal with such issues. I recall it is pretty limited. As in it applies to literally driving through, not touristing. I also believe it requires the firearm to be unloaded, and the firearm and ammunition must not be readily accessible. Don't think that it will be of much help to the OP.

Averageman
02-21-24, 09:55
I had a nice 30-30 Savage I gave to my Mom for S/D.
I would like to find another, can anyone help me?

Whalstib
03-17-24, 19:38
Well....

I picked up a new Ruger made Marlin 1894 in .357! SWEET lil' carbine!

Ruger has done Marlin name VERY well!

Sadly...I can't find any flat or soft point .357 locally so am ordering some cowboy action ammo and will provide a range report!

If any previous posters want to chime in with thoughts and tips I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

matemike
03-19-24, 06:51
Sounds like a really nice carbine you chose. I have a JM 1894C and enjoy that thing greatly. It'll drop deer, that's for sure. The 158gr Buffalo Bore are my "go-to" rounds for serious business.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001521444?pid=926010

I'm sure yours will suit you quite well.

lowprone
03-19-24, 18:46
The twist rate is 1/16" in the Rossi's I believe, not optimal .

m1a_scoutguy
03-19-24, 19:00
Well....

I picked up a new Ruger made Marlin 1894 in .357! SWEET lil' carbine!

Ruger has done Marlin name VERY well!

Sadly...I can't find any flat or soft point .357 locally so am ordering some cowboy action ammo and will provide a range report!

If any previous posters want to chime in with thoughts and tips I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

Do you reload? I ordered 2K of these for both my Henry 357 and my S&W 627 revolver. https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/38-cal-130gr-fmj-with-cannelure/

Whalstib
03-19-24, 19:28
Do you reload? I ordered 2K of these for both my Henry 357 and my S&W 627 revolver. https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/38-cal-130gr-fmj-with-cannelure/

Nope...I'm full time RV'er and not enough space or time to reload.

If I ever plant myself somewhere I'll pick it up.

Thanks for the tip.

lowprone
03-19-24, 20:20
Scout rifle

Entryteam
03-20-24, 15:18
Scout rifle

I ADORE my .44 mag levergun. My FAVE thing about it: it's a rifle, but I still buy boxes of 50 and not 20!

signal4l
03-20-24, 16:00
The new Henry 300 blackout lever gun is worth a look. Not sure if the threaded muzzle is ok in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Coal Dragger
03-21-24, 04:55
OP already bought what he originally wanted.

These threads make me wonder why they’re even posted. Seek advice on a product, ignore opinions contrary to original desires, and buy originally desired product.

Entryteam
03-21-24, 08:16
OP already bought what he originally wanted.

These threads make me wonder why they’re even posted. Seek advice on a product, ignore opinions contrary to original desires, and buy originally desired product.

I mean... I'm still having a good time talking about it.....