PDA

View Full Version : Proof That Time Really Is Relative...

SteyrAUG
02-16-24, 23:43
If you are about my age (born 1960s) then in the 1980s WWII was literally only "40 years ago" but probably seemed like it may as well have been 100. And Vietnam, those were old people even though it only happened about 10 years ago.

But today, the mid 1980s were "40 years ago." So right now you are as close to your teen years in the 80s as WWII was to you in your teen years in the 80s. And it doesn't seem like the 80s were that long ago. I can't possibly be THAT old.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-17-24, 01:30
https://tenor.com/view/yann-darwin-yann-darwin-what-quoi-gif-27419001https://tenor.com/view/yann-darwin-yann-darwin-what-quoi-gif-27419001

triggerjerk
02-17-24, 06:02
Yup. Child of early 60s here. I remember thinking "we won today" because the news showed we killed more vc than they killed of us. Like a ballgame score. And after all the civil defense tv promotions, I remember thinking air raid sirens were going off until I finally put my head to a vent and realized it was the a/c. To this day I'd swear a mig flew down my street. Was it an air show thing? Dunno. Big red star painted on the fuselage. 50 years ago? Top 40 music started sucking in the 80s for me. 40 years ago? Please don't tell me the 90s were 30 years ago.....

AndyLate
02-17-24, 07:09
When I start to think about the changes that have happened in my lifetime, I consider my Dad was born in 1938 and was 30 when came into the world. It's fair to say the world changed more between his birth and mine than since.

Whenever I feel like I have been around for a while, I remember the B52 first flew in (surprise, surprise) 1952.

The first commercially successful semi automatic rifle was introduced in 1905 or 1906, the Remington Model 8.

Andy

chuckman
02-17-24, 07:46
If you are about my age (born 1960s) then in the 1980s WWII was literally only "40 years ago" but probably seemed like it may as well have been 100. And Vietnam, those were old people even though it only happened about 10 years ago.

But today, the mid 1980s were "40 years ago." So right now you are as close to your teen years in the 80s as WWII was to you in your teen years in the 80s. And it doesn't seem like the 80s were that long ago. I can't possibly be THAT old.

Yeah, my wife and I talk about that quite a bit. I was born in 1968, and somewhere along the way, I think the mid 2000s, I realized I was getting older. And now I am just old lol. When you start having peers retiring and having grandchildren, and you go to more funerals than weddings.

utahjeepr
02-17-24, 08:17
Yeah, I feel it.

The effects are widespread but I can really point it out with cars. Like "antiques" for me are cars from pre WW2, "classic" or "vintage" is 40's to 60's. It felt weird as hell when it started getting hard to find on the shelf parts for my 70's GM step side. No offense meant to the OPs Corvette, but I have a real hard time thinking of cars from the 70's through the oughts as classics. I mean they are just "regular cars" right? ;)

My perception of time is compressed around my experience. The Berlin Wall came down not that long ago, and the Y2K fears were what, a few years back. :p

Artos
02-17-24, 09:00
Time is a bitch...the deer in my avatar was shot news years AM 1999. I was still able to hop in & out of the pick up bed with ease back then. Gotta step stool now dang it.

Don't like where it seems like we are headed, but I'm glad I was born in the late 60's & grew up in an era sans phones / 110 tv channels.

Sounds of the 80's...this'll make ya smile.

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1758767552317014432

ABNAK
02-17-24, 09:30
I was born 20 years after WWII ended. From today 20 years ago was 2004. Think about that......(no shit, I'm getting old!)

Someone once pointed out the obvious: The older you get the faster time seems to go. When you're 20 a decade is half your life so far. When you're 50 it's only 20% of your life.

Averageman
02-17-24, 09:38
When I start to think about the changes that have happened in my lifetime, I consider my Dad was born in 1938 and was 30 when came into the world. It's fair to say the world changed more between his birth and mine than since.

Whenever I feel like I have been around for a while, I remember the B52 first flew in (surprise, surprise) 1952.

The first commercially successful semi automatic rifle was introduced in 1905 or 1906, the Remington Model 8.

Andy

This will blow your mind;
I watched the Moon landings with my Dads, Mom. We're watching them walk on the Moon and I said "Did you ever imagine you would see Man walk on the moon?" She replied "When I was Born, they didn't even have Airplanes yet".
So My Grandmother was born before Orville and Wilbur took their first flight at Kittyhawk.

I remember my Dad ( Who worked at6 Bell Labs) bringing home a Cell phone in something like 1975-76. I asked when it would be ready, he said "Working on the Battery."
Now if you ask me both Landing on the Moon and the current development on Cell Phones have equal significance.

We actually tend to overlook our everyday miracles.

Artos
02-17-24, 10:16
Turning 30 was painful...miss my youth & somehow thought I would stay young forever looking at dad's generation. Looked in the mirror, hair was thinning so went down to wally world & still using the same wahl clippers 1x a week sans guard. Man would I love to be in my 30's again!! After 30 I quit giving a crap about the candles.

Mom / Dad are inching into their 80's...wife wants the boy to hurry up & get the grandkids flowing. I'm sure I'll love it, but my brain won't let me yearn for it??

utahjeepr
02-17-24, 11:24
Crap Artos!

Your post led me to realize I've been sporting this high and tight flattop for 38 years.

TBAR_94
02-17-24, 12:05
Music is where it always hits me. I was born in the ‘80s and when I was a kid the Beatles were more recent than Nirvana is right now.

SteyrAUG
02-17-24, 12:21
Yeah, I feel it.

The effects are widespread but I can really point it out with cars. Like "antiques" for me are cars from pre WW2, "classic" or "vintage" is 40's to 60's. It felt weird as hell when it started getting hard to find on the shelf parts for my 70's GM step side. No offense meant to the OPs Corvette, but I have a real hard time thinking of cars from the 70's through the oughts as classics. I mean they are just "regular cars" right? ;)

My perception of time is compressed around my experience. The Berlin Wall came down not that long ago, and the Y2K fears were what, a few years back. :p

What qualifies for retro firearms blows my mind. It has a carry handle, this is our retro line. WTF?!? I shoot that one all the time.

hotbiggun42
02-17-24, 12:34
Pat Benatar is 71! When did that happen?

glocktogo
02-17-24, 13:07
Pat Benatar is 71! When did that happen?

I still remember when she turned around at a concert, bent over at the waist and shook her ass at us. The whole audience went nuts, myself included. Where did the time go? :(

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-24, 13:33
Music is where it always hits me. I was born in the ‘80s and when I was a kid the Beatles were more recent than Nirvana is right now.

You dam kids are killin me,LOL Yea I listen to radio and the oldies are now songs that I listened to even after HS & collage,WTF!! I watched the Beatles the 1st time they were on the Ed Sullivan show,same with the Stones/Doors,etc. I watched the Who and Keith Moon blow up his drum set on the Smothers Brothers Show,guess he blew out an ear drum doing it,LOL Time certainly is a funny thing and it gets by us pretty quick without even realizing it. I finally retired in Jan of this year,piss poor financial planning and a few other things but just finally had to do it. At my age its fun/sad to look back but realize it all happened for a reason and wouldn't change much if anything,just glad I have my health and an awesome wife of 41+ years. When ya get older I think its important to realize ya probably got a lot more time in back of you than ya do in front,live enjoy and think about the good times but its never to late to make new ones.

chuckman
02-17-24, 13:43
I remember in the mid '70s, I was young, five or six, my dad taking me to the American Legion hall for some activities. There were a smattering of Vietnam vets, but a crapload of World War II vets, and some World War I vets.

Of course I had no idea about the concept of time or the context of the company I was in, but look back at snippets of my young life like that and realize how fleeting and fast time is.

hotbiggun42
02-17-24, 14:02
I still remember when she turned around at a concert, bent over at the waist and shook her ass at us. The whole audience went nuts, myself included. Where did the time go? :(

She was a hot little chipmonk. I loved her early music.

hotbiggun42
02-17-24, 14:11
You dam kids are killin me,LOL Yea I listen to radio and the oldies are now songs that I listened to even after HS & collage,WTF!! I watched the Beatles the 1st time they were on the Ed Sullivan show,same with the Stones/Doors,etc. I watched the Who and Keith Moon blow up his drum set on the Smothers Brothers Show,guess he blew out an ear drum doing it,LOL Time certainly is a funny thing and it gets by us pretty quick without even realizing it. I finally retired in Jan of this year,piss poor financial planning and a few other things but just finally had to do it. At my age its fun/sad to look back but realize it all happened for a reason and wouldn't change much if anything,just glad I have my health and an awesome wife of 41+ years. When ya get older I think its important to realize ya probably got a lot more time in back of you than ya do in front,live enjoy and think about the good times but its never to late to make new ones.

I was just thinking, why they can no longer make awesome music like they did in the 60s and 70s, has creactivity become extinct? Then i remembered that mom use to listen to 50s do wop pop and and figured she thought the same thing. I still think todays music sucks but i understand its not their creactivity that has dried up its that im getting older and my brain no longer recognizes the new sounds.
Getting older is a funny thing.

Artos
02-17-24, 15:09
Look how this aged...computers in the 80's.

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1758959504191033589

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-24, 15:12
She was a hot little chipmonk. I loved her early music.

I was just thinking, why they can no longer make awesome music like they did in the 60s and 70s, has creativity become extinct? Then i remembered that mom use to listen to 50s do wop pop and and figured she thought the same thing. I still think today's music sucks but i understand its not their creativity that has dried up its that I'm getting older and my brain no longer recognizes the new sounds.
Getting older is a funny thing.

Oh yea,Pat was a hottie for sure,maybe the top of the 80s,I always thought Nancy Wilson from Heart was hotter! Heart was late 70s early 80s. And the sad part is I don't think the music sucks now a days because we are older,,it sucks because it sucks,period!! No heart/story telling/jams,no real feel etc,just rambling crap. Go find the Last Waltz from the Band,talk about a lineup of greats,its not all cutting edge but dam,Clapton,Robbie from the Band,Muddy Waters,Dr John,Paul Butterfield and the list is long! Even country is far what what it was with Merl,Waylon,George Jones,George Strait etc,there are a few exceptions but its just POP/Rock,blaa! Thanks goodness for Spotify,LOL I can listen to what I want when I want,I also have a ton of albums & was gonna go down that rabbit hole of updating my stereo equipment but I think I'll hold off on that endeavor,:blink:LOL

ABNAK
02-17-24, 15:34
Oh yea,Pat was a hottie for sure,maybe the top of the 80s, I always thought Nancy Wilson from Heart was hotter! Heart was late 70s early 80s. And the sad part is I don't think the music sucks now a days because we are older,,it sucks because it sucks,period!! No heart/story telling/jams,no real feel etc,just rambling crap. Go find the Last Waltz from the Band,talk about a lineup of greats,its not all cutting edge but dam,Clapton,Robbie from the Band,Muddy Waters,Dr John,Paul Butterfield and the list is long! Even country is far what what it was with Merl,Waylon,George Jones,George Strait etc,there are a few exceptions but its just POP/Rock,blaa! Thanks goodness for Spotify,LOL I can listen to what I want when I want,I also have a ton of albums & was gonna go down that rabbit hole of updating my stereo equipment but I think I'll hold off on that endeavor,:blink:LOL

Ohhhh yeah!!! Ol' Nancy.....mmmmm. My wife's HS graduation pic [circa 1988] reminds me of her sort of. Every now and then I'll ask her "Hey, can you do the hair thing like in your graduation picture?" She's like "Uh, no!"

Artos
02-17-24, 15:51
Nancy had tallent!!

https://twitter.com/craigh64/status/1730368482712101065

Stevie Nicks & Joan Jet are hotties worth mentioning...who all recalls removing the 8 track out of your vehicle, going to cassettes & then to disc. Now all the tunes come out of my phone.

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-24, 16:09
Nancy had tallent!!

Stevie Nicks & Joan Jet are hotties worth mentioning...who all recalls removing the 8 track out of your vehicle, going to cassettes & then to disc. Now all the tunes come out of my phone.

Ha,Ha,,yea no kiddin! Ann had a range 2nd to none back in the day,that gal could sing! Steive & Joan were dam good also,I saw Fleetwood Mac probably 5 times,well before Rumors and a couple after,very talented group! There were so many talented people back then its silly & I saw the majority of them live,although I did miss out on ever seeing Heart & wish I always had.

EricTheRed
02-17-24, 17:46
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. At first you don't think any of it is being used, then poof, it's down to the last few sheets. I just turned fifty, my folks are having their 55th anniversary today. I had to quit dating girls 20 years younger than me because my hair went gray. Life sure is hell. I will say that as a DJ for about ten years, I listen to music from the 1920's to the 2020's. Sure some of it sucks, but there is plenty of good stuff if you look for it and have an open mind. Cheers gents

SteyrAUG
02-17-24, 18:09
Nancy had tallent!!

Don't forget the 8 track adapter for cassette tapes because nobody back then gave a high school kid a new car.

I never bought a CD until 2001 and then just bought the ones I needed to create our wedding CD. I own almost nothing on CD to this day. Early 80s I was buying cassettes for car and boombox, then became a DJ and started recording my own mixtapes. Been strictly vinyl since then.

AndyLate
02-17-24, 18:26
Don't forget the 8 track adapter for cassette tapes because nobody back then gave a high school kid a new car.

I never bought a CD until 2001 and then just bought the ones I needed to create our wedding CD. I own almost nothing on CD to this day. Early 80s I was buying cassettes for car and boombox, then became a DJ and started recording my own mixtapes. Been strictly vinyl since then.

I think the only 8 track I ever heard was riding with my cousin, don't remember which 1960s era muscle car he drove, but he had an 8 track and was rocking "Play That Funky Music White Boy". Lots of my friends had the 8 track to cassette adapters.

Andy

Averageman
02-17-24, 18:58
I used a matchbook to keep my 8-track playing the matchbook slipped too far in .
I listened to Nazareth Hair of the Dog for 6 months.

glocktogo
02-17-24, 19:29
My 1973 Monte Carlo had an 8-track. I played a lot of Molly Hatchett, .38 Special and AC/DC.

m1a_scoutguy
02-17-24, 20:13

Yea those things were the bomb,I had buddys that had em,LOL I never had a 8 track in my car, finally had a cassette in my truck in the service. I never started buying the NEW albums but 99% of the old albums I have are one play on them,I had/still have a Sony tape deck and use to record every album onto the tape and then stashed the album. I always bought the 90min tapes cuz ya could typically put one album per side. The 60 min were to small and the 120 min would always stretch and mess up. I have and original Lynard Skynard album with the flames in the background,pretty sweet album!

Artos
02-17-24, 20:24
I unfortunately lost all my vinyl, followed the tech & upgraded as it came out...I bet some of them would fetch $$$$ today.

Also had a 1970 Fender Strat Starburst...music was & still is huge for me, but playing did not come natural & like selling certain guns there is a lot of remorse there. Still have Dad's acoustic 1976 Alvarez that is said to be a decent axe.

Oh man, how bout the $$$$ / time spent on BMX bikes.

hotbiggun42
02-17-24, 22:31
I think the only 8 track I ever heard was riding with my cousin, don't remember which 1960s era muscle car he drove, but he had an 8 track and was rocking "Play That Funky Music White Boy". Lots of my friends had the 8 track to cassette adapters.

Andy

Funny i only remember Rags to Rufus on 8 track. Those tapes were shit but they did make music portable!

hotbiggun42
02-17-24, 22:33
I unfortunately lost all my vinyl, followed the tech & upgraded as it came out...I bet some of them would fetch $$$$ today.

Also had a 1970 Fender Strat Starburst...music was & still is huge for me, but playing did not come natural & like selling certain guns there is a lot of remorse there. Still have Dad's acoustic 1976 Alvarez that is said to be a decent axe.

Oh man, how bout the $$$$ / time spent on BMX bikes.

The kids that could afford new bikes had the mongoose. Mine were a mixed bag of parts i bought from Kmart. Lol

SteyrAUG
02-18-24, 00:33
Yea those things were the bomb,I had buddys that had em,LOL I never had a 8 track in my car, finally had a cassette in my truck in the service. I never started buying the NEW albums but 99% of the old albums I have are one play on them,I had/still have a Sony tape deck and use to record every album onto the tape and then stashed the album. I always bought the 90min tapes cuz ya could typically put one album per side. The 60 min were to small and the 120 min would always stretch and mess up. I have and original Lynard Skynard album with the flames in the background,pretty sweet album!

Yep, a some of my albums have only been played about a dozen times, I always recorded them to cassette. My album collection is fully out of hand.

https://i.imgur.com/VYCJEmz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CARg52T.jpg

SteyrAUG
02-18-24, 00:42
The kids that could afford new bikes had the mongoose. Mine were a mixed bag of parts i bought from Kmart. Lol

For the longest time I had a Schwinn Stingray with BMX handlebars, seat, wheels and pedals. I didn't really get the "new bike" until I went to school in Iowa and needed a 10 speed. Funny thing is if I still had that Stingray (I did keep the original parts) they can be worth a some money.

But if you leave home for school and don't take it with you, you sometimes discover that one of your parents doesn't value anything you own. The shit that got thrown away still boggles my mind. The worst was an original 1951 theater poster for the re-release of Dracula (1931), a King Kong (1933) poster from the 1950s and stuff like that just sitting in my closet protected in thick cardboard tubes.

Heavyweight
02-18-24, 07:59
What qualifies for retro firearms blows my mind. It has a carry handle, this is our retro line. WTF?!? I shoot that one all the time.

My 27 year old punk son told me my standard Colt 1911 that I bought new in 1996 was a really cool antique. It’s the only time I’ve come close to pistol whipping him. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P2Vaircrewman
02-18-24, 08:07
Born in 1944, I remember when you could walk in a hardware, sporting goods, drug or grocery and walk out with a gun, no questions asked other than age. You could order a gun by mail order or phone and it was delivered to your front door. My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six bought at a drugstore.

Artos
02-18-24, 09:34
Had the stingray myself & then bmx sprang itself upon us & went from rampar, mongoose to a redline...lucky to be alive & fortunate I didn't get into the real dirt bikes till the mid-late 90's. At least I was smart enough to stick to the enduro's & not go evil knievel.

As a kid, Dad would take me bay fishing in the lower laguna madre either out of the arroyo colorado, port mansfield or SPI & we would load the boat with trout & flounder by drifting the inter coastal & sorta bass fishing / bumping a worm along the drop off...I think the trout limit was like 20 or 25 and now you can only keep 3 & can't hardly buy a flounder.

GrandDad had a trailer on Falcon Lake & learned to drive on that dirt road, water ski, back in a boat & my God the white bass / striper fishing was insane...it's all but disappeared & doubt there is a boat ramp that isn't on dry land right now. It's a black bass / border patrol lake now.

I killed thousands of whitewings in San Fernando back in the 90's & then that town became known for introducing Los Zeta's to the world & literally started the change for mexico...time is a funny thing.

WillBrink
02-18-24, 10:02
Born in 1944, I remember when you could walk in a hardware, sporting goods, drug or grocery and walk out with a gun, no questions asked other than age. You could order a gun by mail order or phone and it was delivered to your front door. My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six bought at a drugstore.

You could still order guns from the Sears catalog when I was a kid. We never did, but I remember well seeing them in the catalog when looking for a winter jacket every year. The Sears catalog was a big thing for me as a kid.

Averageman
02-18-24, 14:13
You could still order guns from the Sears catalog when I was a kid. We never did, but I remember well seeing them in the catalog when looking for a winter jacket every year. The Sears catalog was a big thing for me as a kid.

Ted Williams models made by Savage, Winchester and Marlin.

MarshallDodge
02-18-24, 16:03
It's hard to believe that I joined this forum 16 years ago.

Songs from U2, The Police, Tears for Fears, Bon Jovi, and even Van Halen are oldies.

The M4 carbine has been in service for 30 years.

triggerjerk
02-18-24, 16:04
Ok. You sucked me back into this. When I was maybe 10 yrs old, Mom took me to the S&H Green Stamp store downtown to pick up the Win 190 .22 paid for with stamps acuired with buying stuff. When I was 16, I drove myself to the sporting goods store and paid $160 for a Rem 760 and a box of bullets. Sold the gun to get a jon boat in college, but I still have 18 of those empty cases in the box!

hotbiggun42
02-18-24, 17:08
Yep, a some of my albums have only been played about a dozen times, I always recorded them to cassette. My album collection is fully out of hand.

https://i.imgur.com/VYCJEmz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CARg52T.jpg

Is that Mamie Van Doren on the turntable?

SteyrAUG
02-18-24, 17:29

Monroe.

titsonritz
02-18-24, 22:24
A few days ago I was looking of a picture of my dad and I from 1984, he was younger than I am now by almost 20 years. Time flies.

AndyLate
02-19-24, 11:51

:blink:

I mean I was gonna ask Steyr if it was Taylor Swift to wind him up, but dang..

Andy

ChattanoogaPhil
02-19-24, 12:54
My past seems like an eternity ago while at the same time the years seem to have quickly passed. It's been a damn good life.

And yes, a matchbook was required to wedge between the 8-track player and tape. Free Bird never sounded so good.

Artos
02-19-24, 13:26
We lost Bon Scott today back in 1980.

https://twitter.com/QueenCityJamz/status/1759652913368953034

titsonritz
02-19-24, 13:43
We lost Bon Scott today back in 1980.

https://twitter.com/QueenCityJamz/status/1759652913368953034

And John Bonham a few months later the same way. I was in 9th grade when Bon checked out.

StainlessSteelRat
02-19-24, 14:43
And John Bonham a few months later the same way. I was in 9th grade when Bon checked out.

I was a senior that year. I remember we went to a candlelight vigil at a cemetery out in the country for Bon. Of course, it turned into a big kegger and the SO deputies ended up running us all off. In those days, nobody had ever even heard of a DUI. It sure doesn't seem like 44 years ago.

titsonritz
02-19-24, 15:14
It sure doesn't seem like 44 years ago.

Man-o-man, I hear that.

SteyrAUG
02-19-24, 17:52

I can still remember getting up to go to school that day and hearing John Bonham died.

Artos
02-20-24, 10:42
Kurt Cobain would have been 57 today.

hotbiggun42
02-20-24, 13:39
:blink:

I mean I was gonna ask Steyr if it was Taylor Swift to wind him up, but dang..

Andy

It was kind of a twist on the Pulp fiction line at Jack Rabbit Slims.

Ron3
02-24-24, 07:48
Kurt Cobain would have been 57 today.

I remember coming into school and seeing a few girls crying, together and separately.

I met my buddies and said, jokingly, "Who died and made the girls cry?" They told me and I said, not jokingly, "oh." Cracking another joke would have been a bad idea.

I thought they were just "okay" at the time but came to appreciate their music later..

Waylander
02-24-24, 10:45
I am over twice as old as I was on 9/11. My father is over three times as old.

SteyrAUG
02-24-24, 16:27
I remember coming into school and seeing a few girls crying, together and separately.

I met my buddies and said, jokingly, "Who died and made the girls cry?" They told me and I said, not jokingly, "oh." Cracking another joke would have been a bad idea.

I thought they were just "okay" at the time but came to appreciate their music later..

While they were clearly the most talented group out of the Seattle area, and honestly most grunge was crap, the Cobain worship was like the John Lennon worship. Cobain was ****ing with serious drugs and that usually leads to your end.

Artos
02-24-24, 16:43
George Thorogood turned 74 today...they get pretty groovy at the 6min mark.

https://twitter.com/bluezharp/status/1761500098637320461

Waylander
02-24-24, 18:15
While they were clearly the most talented group out of the Seattle area, and honestly most grunge was crap, the Cobain worship was like the John Lennon worship. Cobain was ****ing with serious drugs and that usually leads to your end.

I was a bigger fan of AIC but they weren’t strictly grunge anyway. Now Layne Staley shot A LOT of heroin for a long time before it took him out for good.

Artos
02-29-24, 10:46
Ran across this & thought of the thread...this will seem dorky to the younger crowd, but when this came on you had time to go make your drink / get snacks before it started.

https://twitter.com/QueenCityJamz/status/1763194047064076477

SteyrAUG
02-29-24, 13:01
Ran across this & thought of the thread...this will seem dorky to the younger crowd, but when this came on you had time to go make your drink / get snacks before it started.

https://twitter.com/QueenCityJamz/status/1763194047064076477

Man, I remember that. I remember HBO showing a "Making of The HBO intro" for a time.

Artos
03-01-24, 11:08
This made me smile...can't imagine what this clown show will look like if I make it that long.

100-year-old WW2 veteran has his first ever speeding fine waived by kind judge

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1763519802956480997

Wow, 50 years...my favorite band. Some folks don't know that Neil wasn't drumming in the debut. Also, Roger Daltrey turns 80 today & Dark Side Of The Moon was released in 1973

"It's a legendary date in Music History"

Rush's Debut Album was released, on March 1st, 1974

https://twitter.com/MusicJim2/status/1763548357983719492

titsonritz
03-01-24, 13:48
Wow, 50 years...my favorite band. Some folks don't know that Neil wasn't drumming in the debut.
One of my favs as well
Geddy Lee wasn’t the original singer either.

From Wiki…

Rush was a Canadian rock band that primarily comprised Geddy Lee (bass guitar, keyboards, vocals), Alex Lifeson (guitar) and Neil Peart (drums, percussion, lyricist). The band formed in Toronto in 1968 with Lifeson, drummer John Rutsey, and bass guitarist/vocalist Jeff Jones, whom Lee immediately replaced. After Lee joined, the band went through several line-up changes before arriving at its classic power trio lineup with the addition of Peart in July 1974, who replaced Rutsey four months after the release of their self-titled debut album; this lineup remained intact for the remainder of the band's career.

Early members:
John Rutsey – drums, percussion, backing vocals (1968–1974), lyrics (1968–1973; died 2008)
Jeff Jones – bass guitar, lead vocals (August–September 1968)
Lindy Young – keyboards, backing and lead vocals, guitars, percussion, harmonica (January–June 1969)
Joe Perna – bass guitar, lead and backing vocals (May–July 1969)
Bob Vopni – guitars, backing vocals (June–July 1969)
Mitch Bossi – guitars, backing vocals (1971–1972)

hotbiggun42
03-01-24, 14:45
One of my favs as well

From Wiki…

Rush was a Canadian rock band that primarily comprised Geddy Lee (bass guitar, keyboards, vocals), Alex Lifeson (guitar) and Neil Peart (drums, percussion, lyricist). The band formed in Toronto in 1968 with Lifeson, drummer John Rutsey, and bass guitarist/vocalist Jeff Jones, whom Lee immediately replaced. After Lee joined, the band went through several line-up changes before arriving at its classic power trio lineup with the addition of Peart in July 1974, who replaced Rutsey four months after the release of their self-titled debut album; this lineup remained intact for the remainder of the band's career.

Early members:
John Rutsey – drums, percussion, backing vocals (1968–1974), lyrics (1968–1973; died 2008)
Jeff Jones – bass guitar, lead vocals (August–September 1968)
Lindy Young – keyboards, backing and lead vocals, guitars, percussion, harmonica (January–June 1969)
Joe Perna – bass guitar, lead and backing vocals (May–July 1969)
Bob Vopni – guitars, backing vocals (June–July 1969)
Mitch Bossi – guitars, backing vocals (1971–1972)

Remember when they kicked Lee out of the band and changed the name From Rush to Hadrian? Yeah me either they were a high school cover band back then.

hotbiggun42
03-01-24, 14:47
Man, I remember that. I remember HBO showing a "Making of The HBO intro" for a time.

That and the opening for Fraggle Rock. Not sure i ever watched it but i remember that opening intro.

SteyrAUG
03-01-24, 19:40
That and the opening for Fraggle Rock. Not sure i ever watched it but i remember that opening intro.

I watched a couple. Always seemed to be on before the movie I wanted to watch.

Averageman
03-01-24, 20:40
My best friend had HBO when we were in High School, we had regular "Movie Nights" with HBO.
Probobly the best entertainment available at that time.

Artos
03-01-24, 21:19

Funny factoid I recall watching a doc that his name was actually Gary, but mom pronounced it Geddy & ran with it...his folks were holocaust survivors.

Those 3 chaps put out more music than any traditional 5 piece band wished & did it without drama / break up for 4 decades...hate myself for never seeing them live. Idiot.

SteyrAUG
03-01-24, 22:29
Funny factoid I recall watching a doc that his name was actually Gary, but mom pronounced it Geddy & ran with it...his folks were holocaust survivors.

Those 3 chaps put out more music than any traditional 5 piece band wished & did it without drama / break up for 4 decades...hate myself for never seeing them live. Idiot.

It's funny, I really did think I didn't know about them until "Moving Pictures" (Tom Sawyer / Limelight), but turns out I was also listening to "Spirit of the Radio" (1980) and "Fly By Night" (1975). And of course "Subdivisions" is when the rest of the world caught on if they weren't already listening. "New World Man" was my favorite alternate track from the "Signals."

titsonritz
03-01-24, 22:44
2112 was one of my favorite albums of all time. I dug their story tunes, Cygnus X-1 on A Farewell to Kings followed by Hemispheres. I listened to that stuff endlessly.

titsonritz
03-01-24, 22:52
It's funny, I really did think I didn't know about them until "Moving Pictures" (Tom Sawyer / Limelight), but turns out I was also listening to "Spirit of the Radio" (1980) and "Fly By Night" (1975). And of course "Subdivisions" is when the rest of the world caught on if they weren't already listening. "New World Man" was my favorite alternate track from the "Signals."

I am big fan of their early stuff, Moving Pictures was their last great album IMO.

Artos
03-01-24, 23:08
Us RUSH geeks are a different breed...hell first song I recall was Working Man, went looking thinking it was Zeppelin & bought every record / cassette available to sometime in the very early 80's and went nuts.

Everyone thought the walkman was the go to, but it was AIWA who had the best / top shelf to blow out your ear drums for cassettes...I was captain of my football team & they looked at me sideways for hanging with the band geeks in regards to music. 2112 & Hemispheres was where it was at. Van Halen & Motley Crew were jokes in regards to comparison talent from our cult view point. Hard to explain.

Got lots of bookmarks if interested.

https://twitter.com/progrocksongs/status/1761672367938351274

Something different for the neil fans

https://twitter.com/MusicLive__/status/1762525705278001550

FWIW, Tom Sawer that put them on the map (for the masses) wasn't anywhere a top favorite...Neil said it was the hardest song to play 'correctly' & now every time I hear it, I listen for drums.

titsonritz
03-01-24, 23:24
Yeah, loved their instrumental tunes La Villa Strangiato and YYZ, which I’m sure you know is the airport ID code for their hometown.

I agree with you Moving Pictures wasn’t as good as their older stuff, just their commercial hit, but I did really like Red Barchetta. It’s almost prophetic of shit going on today.

Peart could flat out wail on them drums.

titsonritz
03-01-24, 23:43
On another note, dad and I didn’t often see eye to eye but we both agreed Farrah Fawcett was the hottest Angel.

Waylander
03-02-24, 00:53
On another note, dad and I didn’t often see eye to eye but we both agreed Farrah Fawcett was the hottest Angel.

We were Lynda Carter men. The year was 1984 I believe.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240302/0e09085a0f149d798e038fe4f7efa79f.jpg

SteyrAUG
03-02-24, 01:07
I am big fan of their early stuff, Moving Pictures was their last great album IMO.

I'm gonna call it generational, cause I loved "Subdivision." It was unlike anything else on Mtv at the time. And rather than tell you "you can be anything you want IF you just believe hard enough", they actually broke it down and told the truth. "Be cool or be cast out" opened some eyes.

My all time favorite is a split between "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight", again because they sounded like nothing else I had ever heard. One of those songs you'd play, rewind and play again.

SteyrAUG
03-02-24, 01:09
We were Lynda Carter men. The year was 1984 I believe.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240302/0e09085a0f149d798e038fe4f7efa79f.jpg

That would actually be more like 1975-1979.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/19/ab/bc19ab4c6c9e03120eec4c07ee8afd6e.png

Artos
03-02-24, 08:41
YYZ is in my top 5 & LOVED subdivisions...that one resonated w/ the times. They lost me after power windows till they came back to their roots.

I forget about this one & still gives me chills sorta...was the only one in my history class watching the tv when the shuttle blew. Yelled out OH Shit & mr. walters called out my name, pointed to the tube & he says oh shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW-8yCKwhBE

Such a variety of tunes over the decades & the lyrics from neil are simply genius. Entre Nous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sodthxK1z44

This one is probably their most funky / groovy song, but the one that turned me on to the difficulty of percussions...jeff beck said the most important member of the band is the drummer. Think fly by night was their 2nd album / neil debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UU62UcP_BA

If you've never seen their induction, it's a must watch for the fan...rolling stones HATED rush & they got their nose turned up on them often. Geddy said they wrote music for themselves & just glad others liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz2TDr79eI

Averageman
03-03-24, 13:58
August 19th 1972.
I loved this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itkwPhZFAHQ

Artos
03-14-24, 18:23
Too good not to share...letterman in the 80's. I remembered several of these.

https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1768307747756429531

Artos
03-19-24, 11:04
Randy Rhoads died 42 years ago today at only 25.

SteyrAUG
03-19-24, 14:22
Randy Rhoads died 42 years ago today at only 25.

Meanwhile Keith Richards...still alive.

Averageman
03-19-24, 14:57
Meanwhile Keith Richards...still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NcJvi5TYEk
And rocking at 81.