PDA

View Full Version : UTG Leapers 30-round AR mag

Slater
02-17-24, 12:28
UTG is trying hard to be a player in the AR components market. Who knows - maybe they'll succeed. Their AR mags are somewhat under the radar, what with Magpul, Lancer, etc. widely available. The standard mags are made in Michigan while the windowed version (of a somewhat different design) is apparently made in Taiwan. The floor plate is patented on their mags. Looking at the patent drawings, what is so particularly innovative about it?

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/D849178.pdf

titsonritz
02-17-24, 12:35
Hard for to consider anything from them, kind of like Tapco.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-17-24, 18:09
UTG is trying hard to be a player in the AR components market. Who knows - maybe they'll succeed. Their AR mags are somewhat under the radar, what with Magpul, Lancer, etc. widely available. The standard mags are made in Michigan while the windowed version (of a somewhat different design) is apparently made in Taiwan. The floor plate is patented on their mags. Looking at the patent drawings, what is so particularly innovative about it?

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/D849178.pdf

Ok....and?

Trash is trash.

ViniVidivici
02-17-24, 18:35
SOME things from UTG PRO (American-made) are GTG, in my experience.

However these offer nothing, unless you like windowed mags. These are cheaper than windowed Pmags.

But I do not care about that. I see them at 7.99, I can get 30rnd gen2 Pmags for that price, so these hold no appeal for me.

Can't imagine using them for any thing other than training mags anyway.

CrowCommand
02-17-24, 20:21
l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
02-18-24, 00:47
Even if they were truly mil spec, why? Having to supply everyone I cared about with MecGars M9 mags when their CheckMates started hanging in Iraq was bad enough. Can't think of a single reason anyone would ever trust UTG / Leapers, add to that the fact that it's China Mart and even if they were free I wouldn't use them.

Pmags are literally the price of a McLunch. Even the working class people I know who run guns for serious business I shame into buying 10 pmags even if I have to sell them at cost.

Slater
02-18-24, 07:05
Damn, it was just a question about the design of a floor plate. No need to grab your heart meds :D

bamashooter
02-18-24, 07:31
Damn, it was just a question about the design of a floor plate. No need to grab your heart meds :D

Have had 1 quad rail, 1 long hand guard with a single rail, and 2 hard sights. Never an issue with any. Admittedly, the single-rail was proprietary requiring their own "locks". Returned for UTG / M-Lok design. But to be fair to the basement dwellers, I don't believe these parts were battle-tested by tier-1 operators. They know best.

HKGuns
02-18-24, 07:52
My heart meds are down now, but I still can't tell what is different, it slides on just like most other polymer mags. Probably would have to see one in person to discern what they have going on there.

I may just buy one for the hell of it and see what it is all about.

jackblack73
02-18-24, 10:44
I’m not familiar with reading patents, but that says the claim is for an ornamental design. So not really offering anything innovative.

markm
02-18-24, 10:47
Clips are too easy to get to roll the dice on UTG.

kerplode
02-18-24, 11:56
Clips are too easy to get to roll the dice on UTG.

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with Clippul Clips. They're the clippie-est!

These might be good, but UTG spent so much of their company history making Chinesium airsoft bullshit that even if this isn't Chinesium airsoft bullshit, it's hard to overcome the "Those guys make Chinesium airsoft bullshit" reaction.

Holosun seems to have done it, but it's a heavy lift. I wish them luck. Maybe they should send a bunch of their fancy Clips to some Insta-fluencer to pose with...Couldn't hurt.

Slater
02-18-24, 12:19
The Taiwan-manufactured version appears to be the same mag installed in this XT-112 (Taiwan's new infantry rifle). Of course, that may be good or bad:

https://i.imgur.com/iQjBbaG.jpg

https://www.leapers.com/products-utg-rbt-am30.html