PDA

View Full Version : The Catcher Was A Spy (2018) - Want To Make Your WWII Drama A Hit - Make Him GAY...

SteyrAUG
02-19-24, 01:51
The story of Moe Berg is a minor one about about a former baseball player drafted into the OSS to possibly kill Werner Heisenberg (head of Germany's atomic weapons program) IF it seems like they were close to a bomb.

Prior to the war during an ALL Stars tour of Japan in 1935, on his own volition he went to the roof of one of the tallest buildings in Tokyo and and filmed the city and port with his movie camera. In 1942, Berg provided American intelligence with his photos of the city in case they were of use to plan bombing raids.

So his contributions while potentially important, just don't seem James Bond kind of exciting...but what is we made him gay?

And that is exactly what IFC flims did. He even seemingly slept with a Japanese liaison for minor intelligence gathering. Just one problem, he wasn't actually gay. He was a jew who went undercover in nazi Germany to spy on their atomic program, but I guess that isn't enough.

https://superfestfilm.com/was-moe-berg-gay-or-married-to-wife-revealed-here/

After the movie “The Catcher Was A Spy,” people speculated about Moe Berg’s sexuality, but Dawidoff confirmed Berg wasn’t gay or bisexual.

Nicholas Dawidoff wrote a book on Moe Berg’s life called The Catcher Was a Spy: The Mysterious Life Of Moe Berg and published it on May 30, 1995.

Later, in 2018, inspired by the book, the movie The Catcher Was a Spy was released. It was made under the direction of Ben Lewin and was written by Robert Rodat.

The book somewhat implies Moe Berg being bisexual, even gay, but the movie emphasizes it to an even greater extent.

To explain the dramatization of Berg’s sexuality in the movie, Robert Rodat said that when there is smoke, there’s probably a fire for a dramatist. In contrast, there isn’t necessarily a fire for historians when there is a smoke cloud.

Moe Berg was never involved in any notable romantic relationships, be it homosexual or heterosexual. He died a bachelor on May 9, 1972, in Belleville, New York, U.S.

Moreover, Berg’s bachelor status fueled the speculations of him being gay even more. However, Nicholas Dawidoff claimed Moe Berg being gay was nothing more than speculation.

Furthermore, to make his claim stronger, he said, “ I never found evidence he had a gay relationship.”

But by all means to make your project more viable let's take a mans legacy and make him gay for marketing.

If they made a film about Alan Turing, HE was gay and despite his many contributions to the war effort he was prosecuted for homosexual acts by the British after the war and they chemically castrated him. You want to make a film about a gay man that helped the war and then abused by his country...THAT is your film.

Just don't make but BS about a man who was not gay. But if you are going to.

Let's make a film about FDR where he's secretly a cannibal who believes eating babies will restore his health.

Let's make a film about LBJ who was a closet homosexual and bombed Vietnam because he just didn't find them attractive.

And let's make a film about the Clintons who went to an island that catered to pedophiles where Bill indulged in his favorite act of cross dressing for an actual painting. Oh wait, that seems like it might actually have happened.

BuzzinSATX
02-19-24, 06:10
Good recap.

They did make a movie “Imitation Game” about Alan Touring. It was good IMO.

I saw “Catcher…” a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckman
02-19-24, 08:13
His story is fascinating, as were all of the celebrities who worked (secretly) for the OSS and early CIA.

I don't get too caught up in the gay thing. It was pretty common at the time to label any confirmed bachelor 'gay' and any unmarried woman a 'spinster' and I am sure movies that are "based on a true story" play that out.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-19-24, 08:28
Funny, I just watched it too. I was more surprised at the supporting actors that were pretty big actors. At the start of the movie they did have him pound the crap out of his girlfriend that my wife thought was a little over the top. The Japanese scene is ambiguous though heavily implied. Maybe taking one for the team.

So the catcher was a spy, or “The Catcher, who might have been a pitcher or a catcher, never got to be an assassin, or a father.”

Or to paraphrase South Park “Put a Marvel character in it and make them gay!”.

yoni
02-19-24, 11:28
Let's make a film about FDR where he's secretly a cannibal who believes eating babies will restore his health.

Say what?

You being sarcastic or is this true?

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-19-24, 18:43
Say what?

You being sarcastic or is this true?

Yes, but it didn’t work, obviously…

SteyrAUG
02-19-24, 20:43
It was pretty common at the time to label any confirmed bachelor 'gay'

Yeah, I've never heard that. All of the "bachelor for life" older guys I've ever heard of were trying to be Hefner. Most of the actual gay guys got married for cover. Rock Hudson, Charles Laughton, etc.

I also think it's amazingly disrespectful to do to somebody who honorably served their country in time of war, especially so long after his death and in the form of "based on true events."

TexHill
02-19-24, 22:11
Let's make a film about LBJ who was a closet homosexual and bombed Vietnam because he just didn't find them attractive.

I would settle for a film that revealed how truly racist and corrupt LBJ really was as well as the people that he had murdered - including his own sister - in order to hide his corruption.

https://youtu.be/Ef_79INE2m8?si=4mvxXDjGMQE8hll3