PDA

View Full Version : Rhetorical M4/Ak question

triggerjerk
02-23-24, 13:30
Disclaimer: Not to offend those of y'all who have trained/operated with or have owned for a while..... But....

I was wondering: Afghanistan, where the locals have grown up with and lived with AK's, but now have M4's.... How do they compare the two other than the M4 as a trophy?

mack7.62
02-23-24, 17:10
Have you any experience at all with AK types? AR better accuracy, weight, ergonomics and accessory use. I am sure there are some old school Taliban who still prefer the AK like some old Marines still prefer the M14 but any with sense will move on if given the choice.

mack7.62
02-23-24, 17:22
wrong place

ViniVidivici
02-23-24, 18:37
Have you any experience at all with AK types? AR better accuracy, weight, ergonomics and accessory use. I am sure there are some old school Taliban who still prefer the AK like some old Marines still prefer the M14 but any with sense will move on if given the choice.

There's an old guy local to me who insists the M1 Garand is the superior fighting rifle.

Col. Cooper would be proud.

Hoping to shoot some drills with him soon. He claims to be wicked fast reloading it.

The "El Diablo" drill would work just fine.

triggerjerk
02-23-24, 18:56
Little time on an AK. Would be inclined to agree with mack7. 62. Just wonder how the ragheads feel. An old Green Grunt buddy always felt there were only 3 calibers: .45, .308' and .50. .22lr ok for plinking. Loved the m14, but deployed with 12ga Baretta as a medic....

For some reason, amidst all the comparisons these days, I was just wondering how the ragheads felt, though I doubt many of them post on this forum....

ABNAK
02-23-24, 20:10

Haven't been there, not taking away from their fighting prowess, but.....those four words you used there might answer the OP's question! They can fight (and have for decades) but I suspect it is a "return to form" when it comes to weapons with most of them. From M4's/M16A2's all the way up to helicopters, once it takes a shit on them it will be cast to the side. Inshallah.

ABNAK
02-23-24, 20:21
There's an old guy local to me who insists the M1 Garand is the superior fighting rifle.

Col. Cooper would be proud.

Hoping to shoot some drills with him soon. He claims to be wicked fast reloading it.

The "El Diablo" drill would work just fine.

I wouldn't eat his shorts over it once you smoke him in drills. You'll be that old dude one of these days talking smack about 5.56 > the new 6.8 caseless wunder round! ;)

A number of years ago a guy I knew when I helped out at a local gunshop was telling me about a dude who had done a "shoothouse" at a competition near Ft. Bragg (oops, sorry, Ft Liberty :sarcastic:) with an M1 Garand. The guy telling me this was a well-regarded 160th pilot and accomplished competitive shooter on the civvie side. He was laughing telling me about the "BANG BANG PING" as this guy was moving through the shoothouse. It wasn't part of the competition, the guy had also brought his M1 and wanted to put it through the paces, just to see if it was doable.

SteyrAUG
02-23-24, 20:42

Vickers has probably done more credible research on this subject than anyone. The AR is more accurate but the use of optics on a AK pattern rifle typically narrows the field quite a bit. Ergos and accessories, once you get into the AK 100 series and the AK 12/15 a lot of those things get sorted out as well.

https://en.kalashnikovgroup.ru/catalog/boevoe-strelkovoe-oruzhie/avtomaty/avtomat-kalashnikova-ak-12

jsbhike
02-23-24, 21:13
A fairly common written claim for years was Afghans stuck to Enfields during the Soviet occupation, but apparently that was not factual and they switched to AKM/AK74 as soon as they got the chance.

SteyrAUG
02-23-24, 22:53
A fairly common written claim for years was Afghans stuck to Enfields during the Soviet occupation, but apparently that was not factual and they switched to AKM/AK74 as soon as they got the chance.

I wasn't there, but I was following along with SOF. The Afghans were using ANYTHING, especially at first. And I suspect they used Enfields to get those first AKs. There was even a big deal when they got ahold of a Russian AK-74 back in 1983.

https://i.imgur.com/nLMNY19.jpeg

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-24-24, 11:50
I thought I saw some articles, saying that with the afghans, at least, having an M4 variant was seen as being more high speed. And that they saw it as a status symbol. I think I only read it once or twice, kind of around when we left, and they were able to get a hold a lot of them to you. Some thing about fights over who would get the old M4s.

I know the general movement has been towards shorter barreled rifles, but I still think an RPK is a pretty bad ass looking battle implement .