PDA

View Full Version : Las Cruces PD - Video released of fatal knife attack 2/11/24 - NSFW

Lacos
03-03-24, 22:17
Extremely graphic body cam video of knife attack. Suspect shot by civilian.
Cop survived by wife and two young sons. RIP

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThisIsButter/comments/1b4kzrs/las_cruces_police_department_releases_video_of/?share_id=0veGDWMoId_XlgypMMlW9&utm_content=1&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_source=share&utm_term=1

SteyrAUG
03-03-24, 23:58
Man that was rough.

Damn shame Astorga didn't come along just a little sooner.

Glad Hernandez didn't have to go alone.

“Stay with us, man. You're gonna be okay. I got you,”

While we are at it "**** these mentally ill homeless people" who are literally a threat to EVERY BODY. This guy had a criminal history with drug charges, kidnapping, assault and a host of mental shit most of which were dropped or reduced.

titsonritz
03-04-24, 00:40
I don’t have the Reddit app so I guess I don’t get to watch it, probably for the best, it’ll no doubt piss me off.

Jellybean
03-04-24, 01:11
Damn unlucky tripping like that.

Not that it would helped here, but... This is a great lesson why carrying some sort of pocket-Ifak with your gun is a great idea.

Also a great example why as time goes on, I find myself more afraid of crazy people with knives, than guns.

chuckman
03-04-24, 06:23

Not that it would helped here, but... This is a great lesson why carrying some sort of pocket-Ifak with your gun is a great idea.

Also a great example why as time goes on, I find myself more afraid of crazy people with knives, than guns.

An IFAK wasn't going to help him. He needed a surgeon 5 minutes ago. Some wounds are just not survivable. Tragic.

Alpha-17
03-04-24, 07:27
Ran and tripped rather than fought. Likely would have been messed up fighting, but wouldn't have been on his back with a knife wielding maniac over him.

chuckman
03-04-24, 08:14
Ran and tripped rather than fought. Likely would have been messed up fighting, but wouldn't have been on his back with a knife wielding maniac over him.

Everyone who has done some sort of martial arts that included blade defense knows you are gonna get cut, especially on the upper extremities. Better to know that and be cut, than be stabbed. Going to your back is an awful place to be.

flenna
03-04-24, 10:11
While we are at it "**** these mentally ill homeless people" who are literally a threat to EVERY BODY. This guy had a criminal history with drug charges, kidnapping, assault and a host of mental shit most of which were dropped or reduced.

Meanwhile the judges, DAs, politicians and POS voters who enable these “homeless people” to commit such crimes just yawn, shrug and go about their day. Yes, I am very bitter about the state of our country and the degenerates who have control over it.

glocktogo
03-04-24, 10:26
Meanwhile the judges, DAs, politicians and POS voters who enable these “homeless people” to commit such crimes just yawn, shrug and go about their day. Yes, I am very bitter about the state of our country and the degenerates who have control over it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anarcho-tyranny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managerial_state

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Hw4nKhIRQAXvIeSigYdqBwHaEl&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

flenna
03-04-24, 10:59
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anarcho-tyranny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managerial_state

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Hw4nKhIRQAXvIeSigYdqBwHaEl&pid=Api&P=0&h=220

I believe it. I am past believing our current state is due to incompetency…. it is on purpose.

utahjeepr
03-04-24, 11:26
The only upside to this is that the civilian took the assailant off the streets for good. An unlikely outcome if left to the courts.

kerplode
03-04-24, 11:36
This guy had a criminal history with drug charges, kidnapping, assault and a host of mental shit most of which were dropped or reduced.

Here in the Land of Entitlement, we only punish the honest, hardworking, people.

SteyrAUG
03-04-24, 13:23

There is some logic to creating distance IF you have a plan to defend yourself. The sad truth is if somebody is devoted to killing you, their chances are excellent. His job required him to make contact with a violently homicidal nutjob and society says he has to respect his rights and dignity right up until the exact moment he produces a weapon and tries to kill him.

For whatever reason Hernandez decided his best option was to run. Probably he was trying to create time to request assistance. Probably he was trying to put a fence or some kind of barrier between him and his attacker.

We probably spend more time teaching cops to respect cultures and pronouns than we do training them to deal with violent attackers who try and kill them with little or no warning. And even with such training, that still isn't easy to deal with.

WillBrink
03-04-24, 14:36

I can't offer a good reason why, but knives have always scared me more than guns. I seem to recall knives, while used less often than guns, have a higher fatality rate with LE. I read that in a LE pub, author didn't supply a source, so can't vouch as to accuracy.

WillBrink
03-04-24, 14:45

That and man, if he'd just kept more distance from the unknown person for added reaction time, and or, waited for back up before making the contact. As always, when it goes from 0 - 100 like that, the brain can do things that are not always the best choice for survival. Hopefully it helps other LEOs in future training in that PD and others.

HKGuns
03-04-24, 16:28
When you can't even flee successfully, you are 100% victim.

The better option, if you're even slightly capable, is go right at him like an berzerk effin maniac and turn the tables. The element of surprise is probably enough for you to get control of the knife and return some damage. You'll likely get cut but you won't get killed.

flenna
03-04-24, 17:52

The better option, if you're even slightly capable, is go right at him like an berzerk effin maniac and turn the tables. The element of surprise is probably enough for you to get control of the knife and return some damage. You'll likely get cut but you won't get killed.

One thing I learned when I was on the job is that when bad things happen they happen fast- you will react how you train. As an officer if you have never done force on force training (simunitions, red man, etc…) then you are at a disadvantage. And constantly playing what if games in your head on every call is advantageous, too, and easy to do. It’s made a difference for me many times.

HKGuns
03-04-24, 18:20
The key is your mindset and obviously proper experience, training and technique to go with.......

I was getting thrown around the mat by a dude I'd beaten like four times previously. I got so pissed off, I broke his shoulder doing an arm drag. F-er cried like a baby.

Most people would be surprised what you can do when you get enough pissed.

Heavyweight
03-04-24, 18:39
An IFAK wasn't going to help him. He needed a surgeon 5 minutes ago. Some wounds are just not survivable. Tragic.

Makes me sick and furious. He didn’t have a chance. Judging by that sheer volume of blood he must have suffered a major abdominal vascular wound….like a transected aorta. Or he might have taken a hit to the neck and severed his CCA. We never see those cases present at the hospital because they are nearly always fatal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-04-24, 19:54

The problem is truly insane people. You run, they brutally stab you to death. You charge them, they brutally stab you to death. The problem is being able to win against somebody committed to brutally stabbing you to death. I think most people would not have survived that encounter.

If I was willing to sacrifice myself, I could probably kill just about anyone.

The reality is don't let potentially dangerous people that close.
The reality is you have to be ready to shoot them as soon as you see the weapon, you ain't gonna have time to start going after your gun.
The reality is you can do all of the above and still end up getting killed.

And LEOs have to do "extra steps" to make sure they don't break the rules when dealing with people who have no rules.

SteyrAUG
03-04-24, 19:57
The key is your mindset and obviously proper experience, training and technique to go with.......

I was getting thrown around the mat by a dude I'd beaten like four times previously. I got so pissed off, I broke his shoulder doing an arm drag. F-er cried like a baby.

Most people would be surprised what you can do when you get enough pissed.

Not a criticism but you need to hear it.

Control your emotions or they will control you. Fear and anger are tools.

If I can make you angry, I can make you make a mistake.
If I can make you afraid, I can make you make a mistake.
You need fear to keep you from doing something stupid.
You need anger when you need to commit to something you are afraid of.

But you should be in control of all of it, using it as you need it. Nothing wrong with letting yourself get "pissed off" enough to be effective, but make sure you are in control of it.

Coal Dragger
03-04-24, 20:19
How much more video evidence do we need to see to understand that a return to the days of two officers in a squad car, or paired up otherwise is needed?

A lot of these incidents probably don’t happen if two cops show up at one time.

As far as I’m concerned it should be department policy in places with homeless problems that two officers show up for calls like that, and one of them has a long gun out and ready to go. See how feisty the crazy homeless drug addict is when officer friendly has over watch from a dude with a 12 gauge mean mugging them.

Wake27
03-04-24, 20:39
How much more video evidence do we need to see to understand that a return to the days of two officers in a squad car, or paired up otherwise is needed?

As far as I’m concerned it should be department policy in places with homeless problems that two officers show up for calls like that, and one of them has a long gun out and ready to go. See how feisty the crazy homeless drug addict is when officer friendly has over watch from a dude with a 12 gauge mean mugging them.

What makes you think departments have enough cops to roll like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKGuns
03-04-24, 21:18
Not a criticism but you need to hear it.

Control your emotions or they will control you. Fear and anger are tools.

If I can make you angry, I can make you make a mistake.
If I can make you afraid, I can make you make a mistake.
You need fear to keep you from doing something stupid.
You need anger when you need to commit to something you are afraid of.

But you should be in control of all of it, using it as you need it. Nothing wrong with letting yourself get "pissed off" enough to be effective, but make sure you are in control of it.

I'm talking about channeling it, not letting it control you. I'm not a LEO, so that doesn't apply. But understand the point regardless.

SteyrAUG
03-04-24, 22:00
I'm talking about channeling it, not letting it control you. I'm not a LEO, so that doesn't apply. But understand the point regardless.

Channeling is control, just wanted to make sure. And I wasn't replying to you in the context of a LEO but a fighter. LEOs have to work with a lot more luggage. Seen a lot of otherwise good fighters who just go "beast mode" until somebody smarter baits a trap for them. Ironically I saw somebody get stabbed to death trying to "hulk out" in a fight and nobody even saw the knife until it was all over.

SteyrAUG
03-04-24, 22:04

Most people are too busy trying to defund the police and what little money they have is probably being spent on programs with names like "Homeless people are people too."

glocktogo
03-04-24, 22:32

In the managerial state, only enough cops remain to arrest those who resist lawlessness.

Coal Dragger
03-04-24, 22:32

I acknowledge that is a big problem these days.

How many departments also waste resources on traffic enforcement, and other low priority activities that generate revenue? My local PD probably can’t effectively investigate a crime, but they’re proficient in revenue collection above all else.

When manpower is short and you are overwhelmed with mentally ill homeless drug addicts, some functions are going to have to take a backseat to officer safety.

ThirdWatcher
03-04-24, 22:49
Man that was rough.

Damn shame Astorga didn't come along just a little sooner.

Glad Hernandez didn't have to go alone.

“Stay with us, man. You're gonna be okay. I got you,”

I totally agree, it would be a lot cheaper to institutionalize these predators.

I can’t watch the video, I have nightmares after watching stuff like that. Knowing is bad enough.

I thank God for all the good people with guns.

Averageman
03-05-24, 00:05

I couldn't agree more, my Brother is a Deputy in a rural Arizona County, back-up is likely a half an hour away. He's just banging along alone in his pick-up.

ThirdWatcher
03-05-24, 00:14
I couldn't agree more, my Brother is a Deputy in a rural Arizona County, back-up is likely a half an hour away. He's just banging along alone in his pick-up.
I agree too. The only time I worked two-man patrol (after the Army) was when I had an FTO (on two departments).

WillBrink
03-05-24, 07:46
Channeling is control, just wanted to make sure. And I wasn't replying to you in the context of a LEO but a fighter. LEOs have to work with a lot more luggage. Seen a lot of otherwise good fighters who just go "beast mode" until somebody smarter baits a trap for them. Ironically I saw somebody get stabbed to death trying to "hulk out" in a fight and nobody even saw the knife until it was all over.

That's prison yard style, knife is hidden in the palm with knife against wrist, step in close, quick succession of thrusts, and walk away. One deep puncture to the liver and it's done.

Alpha-17
03-05-24, 09:25

Exactly. Violence of action can overcome attacking force who's not ready for it. If you're caught in a close ambush, the proper response is to turn and burn, not run. Can't get much closer than knife range.

chuckman
03-05-24, 09:55
We have all heard "a man with a knife inside 21 feet is a lethal threat." Yes, for reasons. You shoot them. At range. If they pull a knife and get within your loop you had better fight like you are the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark and, brother, it's starting to rain....

SteyrAUG
03-05-24, 13:46
We have all heard "a man with a knife inside 21 feet is a lethal threat." Yes, for reasons. You shoot them. At range. If they pull a knife and get within your loop you had better fight like you are the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark and, brother, it's starting to rain....

Sage words.