PDA

View Full Version : " Judged by 12: Why Self-Defense Cases go to Trial"

WillBrink
03-05-24, 12:11
The armed attorney YT channel always has useful intel.

"Why do many self-defense cases go to trial? Armed Attorneys Emily Taylor and Richard Hayes are back with an update on the George Alan Kelly case, which provides yet another example of why most self-defense cases go to trial rather than reach plea deals."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-DXfvDX-nI

AKDoug
03-05-24, 12:40
It's going to trial because under current Arizona law he has a weak ass claim to self defense. I live in a very pro-self defense state where many legitimate self defense cases never go trial, and I can assure you they would have prosecuted this one.

If we want to go off into the weeds and say a guy has the right to pop people on his property, especially those in the country illegally, we could have that discussion but it isn't going to change the reason Kelly is being prosecuted.

He also, like many people, couldn't keep his mouth shut and that hasn't helped.

eric0311
03-05-24, 12:48
It's going to trial because under current Arizona law he has a weak ass claim to self defense. I live in a very pro-self defense state where many legitimate self defense cases never go trial, and I can assure you they would have prosecuted this one.

If we want to go off into the weeds and say a guy has the right to pop people on his property, especially those in the country illegally, we could have that discussion but it isn't going to change the reason Kelly is being prosecuted.

He also, like many people, couldn't keep his mouth shut and that hasn't helped.

Not talking to police/LE, post shooting is still best practice…interesting.

chuckman
03-05-24, 12:58
Most self defense cases go to trial because unless the prosecution has an airtight case, it's easy for the defense and win a jury, at least one person. Prosecution usually want a plea because it's one less case for them in a stack of cases to dispose, for for the defense, it admits guilt, even if it's a lesser guilt.

SteyrAUG
03-05-24, 13:43
Depends upon zip code.

Sometimes they aren't even arrested.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/road-rage-incident-turns-fatal/1840870/

Patrick Lavoie was unarmed but tried to force his way into the car of Cleveland Murdock who shot and killed Lavoie. Murdock remained at the scene and waited for deputies to arrive. After several hours of questioning, he was released with no charges pending. Murdock has a state firearms license and a concealed weapons permit.

C-grunt
03-05-24, 22:15
Every self defense shooting i have been involved in the investigation have not gone to trial. I haven't had one get booked into jail either.