PDA

View Full Version : Question about Noveske VLTOR MUR

e z money
03-07-24, 16:06
Since the Noveske branded VLTOR MUR won't work with some rails because the receiver is thicker where the anti-rotation tabs rest against the receiver. I was wondering if anyone know which ones, if any Geissle rails will work, without grinding off tabs or anything like that. I'm thinking that the MK16 rail won't fit because it has those upper tabs high on the rail, but rails that only have the lower tabs with set screws, such as MK14 or MK8 might work. Can anyone verify which G rails, if any will fit on that receiver? Thanks for any help.

opngrnd
03-07-24, 16:12
I've seen ALG, Geissele Mk8, Geisele Mk14 and Daniel Defense rails on the standard Vltor MUR. I'm not sure if the Noveske version is any different than the usual Vltor MUR.

Inkslinger
03-07-24, 16:24
I have a MK14 on one. No issues.

e z money
03-07-24, 16:31
Thanks for the info. I like MK14, I will probably use that one.

markm
03-07-24, 22:29
Noveske. Now that's name I haven't heard in a long, long time. - Obiwan.

e z money
03-08-24, 10:39
Noveske. Now that's name I haven't heard in a long, long time. - Obiwan.
I got a pretty good military discount from PA on a 16" Noveske Recon barrel. $382 plus tax and shipping( I might have had some bonus bucks or something), IIRC $417 shipped with pinned gas block and gas tube.

I have 3 AR rifles, all have 16" barrels and red dot sights, and 3X PA SLX prism scope. With Schmid and RRA triggers. I didn't want to build another of the same gun, so I thought I would get an 18" barrel, scope with more magnification, and a Geissle trigger, an SPR type rifle. I was going to get and 18" BA barrel, but then decided on this Noveske 16". I don't want to start a sh%#t storm about billet receivers being more rigid and help with accuracy, but decided to go with the Noveske Mur, I never had a billet receiver and wanted to try it.

Defaultmp3
03-08-24, 13:48
I don't want to start a sh%#t storm about billet receivers being more rigid and help with accuracy, but decided to go with the Noveske Mur, I never had a billet receiver and wanted to try it.The MUR is (currently) a forged upper receiver.

I've seen ALG, Geissele Mk8, Geisele Mk14 and Daniel Defense rails on the standard Vltor MUR. I'm not sure if the Noveske version is any different than the usual Vltor MUR.The Noveske MUR lacks the relief cut up front compared to the now standard MUR-1A/1S. This relief cut was done to allow better compatibility with handguards with antirotation tabs; Noveske claims that this will reduce rigidity and thus opted for the old profile.

https://i.imgur.com/8ra5tyXl.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/JEJBP6z.png

Inkslinger
03-08-24, 13:51
I got a pretty good military discount from PA on a 16" Noveske Recon barrel. $382 plus tax and shipping( I might have had some bonus bucks or something), IIRC $417 shipped with pinned gas block and gas tube.

I have 3 AR rifles, all have 16" barrels and red dot sights, and 3X PA SLX prism scope. With Schmid and RRA triggers. I didn't want to build another of the same gun, so I thought I would get an 18" barrel, scope with more magnification, and a Geissle trigger, an SPR type rifle. I was going to get and 18" BA barrel, but then decided on this Noveske 16". I don't want to start a sh%#t storm about billet receivers being more rigid and help with accuracy, but decided to go with the Noveske Mur, I never had a billet receiver and wanted to try it.

I don’t think the MUR’s are billet anymore. They’re forged.

e z money
03-08-24, 14:29
I like the old profile and I like forged.

Uncas47
03-08-24, 15:04
Forge all the things.

e z money
03-12-24, 14:25
I already got the Noveske 16" recon barrel and Noveske MUR upper receiver, so I'm thinking about using more Noveske parts but I have some more questions maybe you guys could help me with. A standard F/A LMT is my usual go-to BCG. How good are the Noveske BCG? One of them has a Nitride finish, and another has a proprietary finish they call DLC diamond like carbon. Should I just stick with a standard LMT? I don't shoot a lot and don't use a can but might someday.

I prefer Geissle rails, I've used them in the past and like them, but I am thinking about trying out a Noveske 15" NSR 4th gen N4 rail. My question is, what is used to give it anti-rotation? I see that the receiver has a hole above the gas tube hole. Is there a corresponding hole in the rail, so I can put a pin in there? How does that rail compare to Geissle rails, like a MK14, or MK8. I'm not putting an IR laser on it but maybe someday. Probably just a light and bipod will be mounted to the rail. I'm guessing the MK8 is a more rigid rail than the NSR Noveske rail, would a more rigid rail help with accuracy?

I have A2 bird cage flash hider on my other rifles. What is the deal with those flaming pig flash hiders, are they any good?

sig1473
03-12-24, 14:30
Yes, there's a corresponding hole in the N4 rail for an anti-rotation pin

e z money
03-12-24, 16:20
Yes, there's a corresponding hole in the N4 rail for an anti-rotation pin

Cool, thanks

e z money
03-19-24, 13:37
As I explained in the original post that most rails with anti-rotation tabs won't fit on a Noveske branded Vltor MUR and Defaultmp3 did a good job of showing the reason with pics, here is another pic showing why these rails won't fit. When I first started this thread I didn't have the Noveske MUR to use for comparison. I now have the receiver so I took a picture to help show why the Noveske Vltor Mur is different from the Vltor MUR-1A. The receiver on top in the pic is an old DPMS receiver with a Geissle MK14 rail. The receiver in the middle is a LMT MARS with a Geissle MK16 rail. The receiver at the bottom is the Noveske Vltor MUR. I used pointers to show how the Noveske is thicker where the rail tabs need to fit on the rail. I could shave 1/16" off each tab of a MK14 rail and it would fit, but it won't fit without doing that, or some kind of modification. I like that the receiver is thicker in this location, I think it makes for a more rigid and stronger receiver. I have decided to use a Noveske rail, it uses a pin for anti-rotation instead of tabs. When companies started making so many rails with anti-rotation tabs, Vltor came out with their newer version of the MUR so these rails would fit. In doing so, I think they lost what set the MUR apart from most other receivers. The Noveske MUR retains this feature.

https://i.imgur.com/JduYkEp.jpeg