PDA

View Full Version : For the tool nerds

Ned Christiansen
03-08-24, 15:02
Soon to be available, the Superior Hammer Install Tool. It's the you-know-what for installing AR hammers with less pain and finger strain. Just completing the pilot batch, watch for more info in the coming weeks. For the guy who does this once a year, this tool will not be worth it. For someone who's doing it daily or on a production basis it will be most welcome. I am not claiming this idea, it's a tool that's been used in the factory for years, it just was never made available, maybe because, as I have discovered, it's not cheap to make. When I put a final price on it it probably won't be under $100. But then I'm not making them so one can be given away free with every AR, it's about making it available to people who need it bad even if kinda spendy.

Machined from US-sourced aluminum, machined in the US on a by-God US-made CNC, and US-sourced everything else, including a couple extractor O-rings that retain a spacer on a punch that stows in the handle. To remove the hammer pin, take off the vinyl cap, remove the punch and reverse it. Now you have a little hand-push-punch for popping out the hammer pin. To reinstall the hammer, load it into the tool and use the tool handle to drop the hammer into the receiver. It's easy now to get the hammer positioned perfectly to insert the hammer pin. Get the pin all the way trough, wriggle and pull the tool out, done. I'll do a YT tutorial on it in the coming weeks.
https://i.imgur.com/PpdQV7I.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/OLSKlvv.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Dezcfjp.jpeg

I made some protos of this a year ago and honestly, got mostly lukewarm responses. Despite this, I'm convinced that a few people, manufacturers at least, will want them. So I finally got around to putting together a small batch, and-- it makes me feel kinda celebratory. Especially since Oberon Day is only a couple weeks away and I still have a few left over from last year's run:
https://i.imgur.com/eYVkNqq.jpeg

https://bellsbeer.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-oberon-day-2024/

markm
03-08-24, 16:03
Genius idea. It's tough to fight an oily new hammer against its spring tension for sure.

rainman
03-08-24, 17:00
Nicely done Ned, as are all your tools.

Bells makes tasty stuff! :cool:

Cheers!

-Rainman

WickedWillis
03-08-24, 17:15
really good idea here

the AR-15 Junkie
03-08-24, 17:34
Got ca$h waiting to go along in my tool box with all your other quality tools I have bought!

* 5.56 Gage
* 5.56 Reamer
* Barrel Wrench
* Gas Tube bender
* Front sight loops (u dont seem to sale any more?)

Probably something else I cant remember off hand,

lbsand
03-09-24, 07:53
Most excellent, Ned. A must have for us arthritic, geriatric tinkerers. Put me in, Coach.

SteveL
03-09-24, 18:48
I have one of the old KNS Hammer Cages from years ago (thanks to Will Larson for putting me onto it). It makes installing a hammer much easier, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as this.

Ned Christiansen
03-10-24, 17:02
I loved the Hammer Cage and it was only like $20 and they stopped making it! Every bit as good as my tool, less money, could have been a little better maybe with a handle on it but that takes up space in the tool box. But for doing installs many per day the handle is worth it.

prepare
03-10-24, 20:15
I loved the Hammer Cage and it was only like $20 and they stopped making it! Every bit as good as my tool, less money, could have been a little better maybe with a handle on it but that takes up space in the tool box. But for doing installs many per day the handle is worth it.

When is yours going to be available?

Ned Christiansen
03-14-24, 11:26
I have several ready to go but it will still be some weeks. I have three out for beta testing.... let's see if I've missed anything. Plus I need to take pics for and write the instructions-- that's the better part of half a day, which I can't find just now.

bfoosh006
03-17-24, 22:45
I'm in for one !

I'm gettin' to old to struggle doing this anymore... and fat fingering has always worked... but something easier is always good.

1_click_off
03-18-24, 18:53
Tweak on it. What if instead of drilling holes for the spring pins you mill square slots or even angle the slots down some to force the spring to ride to the center? Only reason I mention this tweak is for longer tool life from the spring pins slipping out of the tool when releasing the hammer. Plus the placement may be more forgiving milling vs. drilling. You wouldn’t even need to mill it all the way through, but leave a little meat so the spring pins have a stop on them so the rest of the geometry still works out preventing the hammer from slipping out. Cool tool for sure though.

lysander
03-19-24, 20:19
Proper installation would be to rotate the handle to the rear (after the pin is installed) until the spring legs rest on the trigger pin. Then push the hammer down until it clears the cut that holds it (until it is cocked?). Now rotate the tool off the hammer and slide it back off the spring legs.

This way the tool can be removed without any wear om the holes.

1_click_off
03-19-24, 20:50
Proper installation would be to rotate the handle to the rear (after the pin is installed) until the spring legs rest on the trigger pin. Then push the hammer down until it clears the cut that holds it (until it is cocked?). Now rotate the tool off the hammer and slide it back off the spring legs.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you. No tweak needed.

Ned Christiansen
04-03-24, 20:13
SOTAR did a little vid on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Yhw2HU2do

the AR-15 Junkie
04-03-24, 21:27
Not up on your site, when can we buy?

Ned Christiansen
04-03-24, 22:00
Within a month, pretty sure.

JediGuy
04-04-24, 04:53
If I could make a recommendation, you could offer a package deal for all the best, unique (not overlapping) AR tools. You have nice stuff.

Akin
04-05-24, 18:00

Can it be used to remove a hammer?

That’s not nearly as difficult, but I like the way the hammer cage can be used to easily and neatly remove hammers as well.

Any ETA on these?

Ned Christiansen
04-05-24, 22:09
A week or two. To be honest I think the fist batch of 20 is claimed, I mean I haven't sold them but I've had some virtual demands ;-)

I don't think it would work well for removing a hammer and I never saw the Hammer Cage used for that either. To me it sounds like a lot more trouble to do so....?

I just have to get the instructions written. Only a couple-three hours' work but where to find a couple hours is the thing.

One click off, I didn't mean to not appreciate your suggestion, I do. I will try one that way when i get the chance!

Akin
04-06-24, 01:06
A week or two. To be honest I think the fist batch of 20 is claimed, I mean I haven't sold them but I've had some virtual demands ;-)

I don't think it would work well for removing a hammer and I never saw the Hammer Cage used for that either. To me it sounds like a lot more trouble to do so....?

I just have to get the instructions written. Only a couple-three hours' work but where to find a couple hours is the thing.

One click off, I didn't mean to not appreciate your suggestion, I do. I will try one that way when i get the chance!

Actually, using the hammer cage to remove a hammer is ridiculously easy.

But removing a hammer isn't particularly hard in the first place...

How do we get on the wait list? I love tools and gadgets and stuff...

Ned Christiansen
04-06-24, 09:22
I'm not sure how to handle a a list.... the first batch is small and any orders might turn into back orders..... which could be 5-6 weeks. If that is OK with people I guess a good place to make a list would be PayPal..... I know people don't like PP but it has worked well for me for fifteen-plus years. Also I need a week or two to get the instructions written.

lysander
04-09-24, 18:49
Can it be used to remove a hammer?

That’s not nearly as difficult, but I like the way the hammer cage can be used to easily and neatly remove hammers as well.

Any ETA on these?

No reason it couldn't, just reverse the installation procedure.

In fact, it should be easier to do as this tool has a handle.

Akin
04-10-24, 07:32
No reason it couldn't, just reverse the installation procedure.

In fact, it should be easier to do as this tool has a handle.

I’m just curious how you’d get the legs of the spring into the little holes… it’s easy with the old hammer cage since you use the included tool to grab the legs and lift them up and pop them into the notches on the cage.

Not a big deal, since once you get the hammer pin out, keeping the hammer from simply popping itself out of the lower becomes the issue… :-D

Ned Christiansen
04-10-24, 09:52
I will try a removal when I can get to it but I still think-- the hammer comes out so easily without it. Now if you want to say that's a good way to load the hammer onto the tool for reassembly, that could maybe be a plus. As to getting the spring legs in, 1-Click-Off's suggestion above would help with that. I'll be honest, I don't think I'm going to do that but we shall see. I mean officially, beta testing is still on but I have used it now in presenting three classes, passing around a couple prototypes and a production version, and it is well received. As to orders and me using PayPal as a waiting list, I've asked a few inquirers to send me $1 on PP and that will be the list, when I get the next batch assembled I will advise to send the balance. That way if it all falls down no one is out more than a buck.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-10-24, 11:49
I will try a removal when I can get to it but I still think-- the hammer comes out so easily without it. Now if you want to say that's a good way to load the hammer onto the tool for reassembly, that could maybe be a plus. As to getting the spring legs in, 1-Click-Off's suggestion above would help with that. I'll be honest, I don't think I'm going to do that but we shall see. I mean officially, beta testing is still on but I have used it now in presenting three classes, passing around a couple prototypes and a production version, and it is well received. As to orders and me using PayPal as a waiting list, I've asked a few inquirers to send me $1 on PP and that will be the list, when I get the next batch assembled I will advise to send the balance. That way if it all falls down no one is out more than a buck.

Do you publish a schedule for these classes, are they limited to just LEOs?

Ned Christiansen
04-10-24, 13:23
There's no posting really, it's kinda whoever invites me where ever. One in Livonia MI (near Detroit but it's not Detroit) this month 22-23, place called Center Mass, this one is not LE restricted.

Hulkstr8
04-13-24, 11:36
I had a great time at Ned's armorer's classes. He's knowledgeable and super nice.

Bowser
04-22-24, 00:54
Neat. Gonna pick one up when it's ready.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-23-24, 06:24
I got a tracking # for mine. Pricey but I like collecting tools and Ned's a great guy. I have a bunch of his tools and I enjoy reading his Magazine articles every 2-3 months as well.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-23-24, 06:25
I had a great time at Ned's armorer's classes. He's knowledgeable and super nice.

Yep, Ned is a ICON and consummate professional in his trade.

markm
04-23-24, 10:15
I'm going to be doing some shopping at M-guns after I pay down some medical expenses. My gun budget took a beating this month.

simonp67
04-24-24, 00:27
Very nice Ned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Akin
04-24-24, 21:08
Speaking of old KNS Precision Hammer Cages, if anyone should suddenly hear about one becoming available, I’d appreciate a heads up.

Mine was stolen, along with more than five thousand dollars worth of gunsmithing tools and parts, including a pistol, three stripped lowers and a bunch of other stuff. The methhead who took everything will probably sell my entire collection of tools for fifty bucks at the swap meet, but who knows, maybe someone will recognize some of them and they’ll pop up somewhere…

Ned Christiansen
04-25-24, 10:07
In this week's class we had five Knight's Armament rifles. We tested the new tool on them and it worked fine except for one and I could not clearly see why. They all had the KAC fire control.

bfoosh006
04-25-24, 12:43
Looking forward to this tools release.

I will buy some for sure... well thought out tool.

FWIW, my older / less nimble fingers will appreciate the "spare" retention the tool will provide.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-25-24, 13:51
In this week's class we had five Knight's Armament rifles. We tested the new tool on them and it worked fine except for one and I could not clearly see why. They all had the KAC fire control.

Tracking # says mine will be here tomorrow along with another AR tool thats coming thats very special. That one cost me $750 lol. Spending a lot of money on tools.

Ned Christiansen
04-26-24, 15:56
I will be interested in knowing all about the $750 tool, obviously I didn't charge you enough the Hammer Install Tool :-) . My wife made me drop "Superior" from the tool's name.... she processes orders and refused to do it for a tool called the S.H.I.T.. It's great having a wife who pulls you back into reality once in a while.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-26-24, 17:14
I will be interested in knowing all about the $750 tool, obviously I didn't charge you enough the Hammer Install Tool :-) . My wife made me drop "Superior" from the tool's name.... she processes orders and refused to do it for a tool called the S.H.I.T.. It's great having a wife who pulls you back into reality once in a while.

Mine came today, tried it on a Anderson lower I use as a test mule and a Colt, worked perfect.

Sending you a PM about the $750 dollar tool. It did not come today, got delayed, typical PO, but its about 30 miles away so maybe tomorrow.

the AR-15 Junkie
04-27-24, 10:42

It came today, super stoked to add it to my tool box along side all your tools. I attempted to PM you a picture but your In Box is full.

556Cliff
04-27-24, 10:57
It came today, super stoked to add it to my tool box along side all your tools. I attempted to PM you a picture but your In Box is full.

Of all the times to have a full In Box. Congratulations on managing to get your hands on a very unique one off tool. :cool:

the AR-15 Junkie
04-27-24, 11:30
Of all the times to have a full In Box. Congratulations on managing to get your hands on a very unique one off tool. :cool:

Thanks for enjoying the ride with me. And you are a good man Charlie Brown.

SeriousStudent
04-27-24, 11:31
I would be delighted to pay for one when they become available.

Genius idea, Ned! :o

ABNAK
04-29-24, 18:26
Absolutely! Can Ned post a new thread announcing it's availability? Something that would catch our attention.

Ned Christiansen
05-04-24, 14:38
Will do.

Inbox now clear.... I think-- but I don't often check PM's.

the AR-15 Junkie
05-05-24, 20:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YSC31qmW9A

lowprone
05-08-24, 14:02
I saw the video, in for one !