PDA

View Full Version : Open fields doctrine in Louisiana

jsbhike
03-10-24, 12:54
scotus decided le could go traipsing on to privately owned land anytime they want back in the 1920's which isn't setting well with the land owner victom in this incident. With any luck this will be handled the same as in TN.

https://youtu.be/wvsnVDbxOhU?si=HTAn-yn5t5YkTABW

hotbiggun42
03-10-24, 13:38
Game Wardens have powers the LEO wish they had. Good luck fighting that.
This is why State and local elections are so important. My advice would be not to fight this in court but instead buy a politician or two. They are cheaper than attorneys.

jsbhike
03-10-24, 13:58
Tennessee managed to pull it off, although the cash award should have had a lot more zeroes after it to have more effect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox17.com/amp/news/local/tennessee-court-of-appeals-considering-decision-ruling-game-warden-surveillance-law-unconstitutional

P2Vaircrewman
03-10-24, 19:14
2018 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 14 - Criminal Law
RS 14:63 - Criminal trespass

https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2018/code-revisedstatutes/title-14/rs-14-63/

E. The following persons may enter or remain upon the structure, watercraft, movable or immovable property, of another:

(1) A duly commissioned law enforcement officer in the performance of his duties.

(2) Any firefighter, whether or not a member of a volunteer or other fire department, and any employee or agent of the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry engaged in locating and suppressing a fire.

(3) Emergency medical personnel engaged in the rendering of medical assistance to an individual.

(4) Any federal, state or local government employee, public utility employee or agent engaged in suppressing or dealing with an emergency that presents an imminent danger to human safety or health or to the environment.

(5) Any federal, state or local government employee, public utility employee or agent in the performance of his duties when otherwise authorized by law to enter or remain on immovable or movable property.

(6) Any person authorized by a court of law to enter or remain on immovable property.

(7) Any person exercising the mere right of passage to an enclosed estate, as otherwise provided by law.

Entryteam
03-11-24, 08:43
Game Wardens have powers the LEO wish they had. Good luck fighting that.
This is why State and local elections are so important. My advice would be not to fight this in court but instead buy a politician or two. They are cheaper than attorneys.

That is a very common misconception. Here in AR, they have gotten their Peepee's spanked over 4th amendment grounds on multiple occasions. They follow the same constitution we all do... you just gotta put your foot down.

glocktogo
03-11-24, 13:32
I understand the need for game wardens as a matter of wildlife conservation. Unfortunately, in some respects they're more an extension of the gamekeepers of the old English Lords and Kings. As with everything, there's a sweet spot somewhere in the middle and I don't think it involves free right of passage on private property.

Averageman
03-11-24, 14:38
Some stuff left over from Prohibition.