PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Truth About the Florida State Guard’s Special Ops Unit

Alpha-17
03-11-24, 09:23
I saw this and thought it was interesting. I hadn't heard that the FL State Guard was establishing its own SOF team.

The Truth About the Florida State Guard’s Special Ops Unit

When Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced he was “reactivating” the Florida State Guard nearly two years ago, veteran special operators and business partners Brandon Graves and Tom Morton knew they could contribute, so they locked themselves in their office and began writing an unsolicited proposal that they planned to send to the governor’s team.

Graves and Morton had recently opened Stronghold SOF Solutions, a one-of-a-kind tactical training facility located in Florida’s Panhandle. Stronghold’s training staff are all former special operators. The 50-acre facility is just minutes from the 7th Special Forces Group. Just a few of Stronghold’s offerings include a two-story live-fire shoot house, a 4160-foot runway, four 360-degree dynamic ranges, MOUT/SOUC sites, an underground training facility and a demolition range that can support up to 40-pound charges. The facility has a clubhouse, drone-friendly airspace and helos — a Soviet-designed Mi-17 and a Boeing MH-6, better known as a Little Bird, which has become the taxi of choice for many special operators.

In their proposal, Graves and Morton wrote of an untapped resource – retired special operations veterans — who would be the perfect force to fulfil FSG’s mission of responding to natural or manmade disasters. They offered to select, train and validate a 60-man special operations force.

“We got their attention in Tallahassee,” Graves said. “They were excited about it.”

Morton said the concept they floated in their proposal is the same concept that led to the creation of Stronghold.

Special Operations Company
The SOC is chock-full of tabs, tridents, wings and berets. Its members include former Navy SEALs, Army Rangers and Special Forces, MARSOC Marines, Air Force Special Operations veterans and more.

“The vast majority are prior SOF guys, but we did select a few other skills,” Morton said. “The FSG has a more law enforcement-centric mission rather than purely military, so we attempted to build a team that would be successful at this mission.”

“Every one of them has the SOF mindset,” Graves said. “We vetted and trained all of them.”

The state agreed to purchase guns and gear for the SOC. As it stands now, the 60 members are issued Sig-Sauer P-320 9mm handguns and Sig-Sauer MCX-SPEAR carbines.

The kit state officials purchased for the SOC leaves a little to be desired. However, special operators are seldom satisfied with any issued gear.

Media pushback
The legacy media has tried to label Graves as a DeSantis supporter, as if to imply that Stronghold’s no-bid contract was awarded for personal or political reasons. However, neither Gaves nor Morton or Stronghold have ever donated a dollar to any of DeSantis’ political campaigns. (Nor have they ever met DeSantis personally.)

This type of bashing was expected.

“It’s fair to say we quickly realized there was a political aspect to all of this,” Morton said. “Whenever politics are involved, the media is going to take every opportunity to spin it in a different way — their way. There are a lot of training companies out there, but I’m not aware of one like ours in the state of Florida — especially one with our facilities.”

What was not expected was the media’s bashing of an American hero.

“The engagement of a combat training company with links to an accused war criminal raises serious questions about the intentions of Florida Governor DeSantis’s civilian military force,” a reporter wrote of one Stronghold trainer, retired Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher.

To single out Gallagher was a new low and extremely unfair, Morton said.

https://www.shootingnewsweekly.com/2024/03/06/the-truth-about-the-florida-state-guards-special-ops-unit/

Sig MCX Spears seems like they're sparing no expense, though the involvement of SEALs in general and Eddie Gallagher in particular definitely raise a few red flags for me. Be interesting to see if other States follow suit with their own State Guard SOF units, or even just infantry based Stat Guard units.

Averageman
03-11-24, 10:19
Sounds like a very strong reaction.
What concerns me is though, is that this is a State Organization and would have to respond State wide. Wouldn't the money be better spent training local SWAT?

Entryteam
03-11-24, 10:38
What concerns me is though, is that this is a State Organization and would have to respond State wide. Wouldn't the money be better spent training local SWAT?

Inconsistent results, that way. Not all local/county teams are built the same, trained the same, or equipped the same.

Hank6046
03-11-24, 10:42
Lee Williams on sub-stack had an article about this, it's interesting that FL would give this kind of unit to the "State Guard" as it appears that they have only 1500 members, so I would assume that this would take up a substantial portion on the budget.

kerplode
03-11-24, 10:56
I don't really get it...So what does this new goon squad do that their existing goon squads can't?

And I know they said it's not a no-bid contract to Ronnie's buddy and his friends, but it kinda seems like that's exactly what it is.

03-11-24, 11:36
SC has a State Guard. As far as I can tell, its the old guy version of Boy Scouts. They do help with hurricanes, though. I’ll be worried when I see contre-coup militia commandos in the street with ZSU technicals.

WillBrink
03-11-24, 12:41
I saw this and thought it was interesting. I hadn't heard that the FL State Guard was establishing its own SOF team.

https://www.shootingnewsweekly.com/2024/03/06/the-truth-about-the-florida-state-guards-special-ops-unit/

Sig MCX Spears seems like they're sparing no expense, though the involvement of SEALs in general and Eddie Gallagher in particular definitely raise a few red flags for me. Be interesting to see if other States follow suit with their own State Guard SOF units, or even just infantry based Stat Guard units.

I recall that place. Was sure there was a thread about it here, couldn't find it. I seem to recall it's changed hands a few years ago, but not sure, that's what comes to mind.

That's normally what the state police do, at least in the NE states I knew of. State PD generally had the best budgets, toys, training etc for their tac teams, and some cities/towns also had their own, that ranged widely in abilities. The major drawback was the time it took for the state guys to get on station. I worked with the NEMLEC team, which was a collection of towns that decided to develop and fund their own tac team to cover their area. There was tension between them and the state. Most of the guys from NEMLEC were ex mil, but not all.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-11-24, 12:48

I don't really get it...So what does this new goon squad do that their existing goon squads can't?

And I know they said it's not a no-bid contract to Ronnie's buddy and his friends, but it kinda seems like that's exactly what it is.

You guys really don’t get what this is?

Doesn Texas have high-speed boat with a mini-gun? Part of the State Police?

And in 3,2,1… some Fed agency comes in and shuts down their facility for some enviro, safety, diversity reason.

kerplode
03-11-24, 12:58
You guys really don’t get what this is?

Well, it looks like some sort of a scam whereby Florida state taxpayer's money is funneled to Ronnie's cronies and their ex-skullcracker goons so that they can buy cool shit and run around the state in some quasi-law enforcement capacity cracking skulls. Whether or not said skulls need cracking remains TBD.

But why don't you enlighten me...

ChattanoogaPhil
03-11-24, 15:03
----------------

AndyLate
03-11-24, 20:34
Well, it looks like some sort of a scam whereby Florida state taxpayer's money is funneled to Ronnie's cronies and their ex-skullcracker goons so that they can buy cool shit and run around the state in some quasi-law enforcement capacity cracking skulls. Whether or not said skulls need cracking remains TBD.

You can continue to repeat yourself without our assistance.

Andy

chuckman
03-12-24, 08:34
So many questions: to whom do they report? Under what agency do they work? Are they cops or no? The whole thing is sketchy...

Averageman
03-12-24, 09:35
What is the responce time for something like this?

Alpha-17
03-12-24, 11:19

Try looking up the definition of the terms "State Militia" and "State Guard" and then see where your research takes you?

So many questions: to whom do they report? Under what agency do they work? Are they cops or no? The whole thing is sketchy...

From their webiste:

Florida State Guard Executive Director Mark Thieme was appointed on October 27, 2023, by Governor Ron DeSantis.

As the Director of the Florida State Guard, Director Thieme oversees operations, mission alignment, administration, personnel, training, procurement, and all other functional components of the Division of the State Guard.

https://www.floridastateguard.org/leadership

Not LE on the face of it, but likely could be deployed anywhere you'd expect to see the National Guard deployed.

Kinda surprised at the confusion. The State Guards from both TX and FL were in the news back in January when TX seized Eagle Pass, and the Left demanded Biden Federalize the TX National Guard. The State Guard prevents that from being the trump card it used to be. As such, they are a badly needed State counter weight to Federal power.