PDA

View Full Version : US Troops Expelled from Niger

mack7.62
03-18-24, 11:22
Another Brandon win. US has been running drone operations out of this base since 2018 or so.

red.
@redstreamnet
Niger's transitional government is kicking the US military out of their country, declaring the presence "illegal." US Department of Defense civilian staff will also be expelled. The move comes just six months after the French army was sent packing by Niger's military authorities, who took power in a coup last summer.

Announcing Niger's decision, Colonel-Major Amadou Abdramane hit back at US allegations that Niger may give Iran secret access to its uranium mines. He said it is "common knowledge" that Niger's uranium is "totally controlled by France."

Abdaramane also recalled that such lies were used to justify the illegal 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, whereby fake documents were presented as supposed evidence that the then Nigerien president had supplied uranium to Saddam Hussein. Niger is the seventh largest producer of uranium in the world. This radioactive metal is mainly used for nuclear energy, along with cancer therapy, propelling naval vessels, and nuclear arms.

The US claim about a secret Niamey-Tehran uranium agreement was made during a visit by US officials to Niamey last week, which Abdaramane said violated diplomatic protocol.

Niger's move is a massive blow to the US which built its largest and most expensive drone base in US history in the Nigerien city of Agadez. "Nigerien drone base 201" has a 6,200 ft runway and was built for $110 million. It was critical for the US' secretive drone wars and expanded military presence in Africa. Still, it was built in violation of the Nigerien constitution, which requires parliamentary approval for defense treaties, but that did not happen with the base.

Developments in Niger have worsened Western paranoia that as Africa increasingly stands up to US and European imperialism, Russia's influence on the continent will grow.

chuckman
03-18-24, 12:22
We use Niger as a major hub for CT activities. This will be a blow. Before I left I would tear up that runway, too.

andre3k
03-18-24, 12:23
Sounds like Uncle Sam and the CIA didn't grease enough palms for this new regime.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ABNAK
03-18-24, 12:26
We use Niger as a major hub for CT activities. This will be a blow. Before I left I would tear up that runway, too.

And afterwards type in a series of GPS coordinates down the length of it for future targeting, er, I mean reference. :rolleyes:

While I'm hardly a drone expert, I didn't realize they needed a 6200ft runway.

triggerjerk
03-18-24, 12:30
I wonder how many m4s, armored vehicles and drones we will leave them.....

ChattanoogaPhil
03-18-24, 12:33
Russia in. US out.

03-18-24, 13:00
Sounds like Uncle Sam and the CIA didn't grease enough palms for this new regime.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
The Russians certainly did.

03-18-24, 13:00
I wonder how many m4s, armored vehicles and drones we will leave them.....
None.

03-18-24, 13:06
There’s runways everywhere with like gas pumps and shit. Some places you just bribe a guy to go grab some fuel somewhere if you have to land. Niger Armee l’Air will just move AB201 wherever. Plus Mali.

Niamey has an international airport, which is AB101 for their air force, as well as where the president’s aircraft are parked. And several of Russian origin. The mobile AAA batteries post between there and the palace in town, which is between there and the embassies.

chuckman
03-18-24, 13:39
There’s runways everywhere with like gas pumps and shit. Some places you just bribe a guy to go grab some fuel somewhere if you have to land. Niger Armee l’Air will just move AB201 wherever. Plus Mali.

Niamey has an international airport, which is AB101 for their air force, as well as where the president’s aircraft are parked. And several of Russian origin. The mobile AAA batteries post between there and the palace in town, which is between there and the embassies.

Yeah, no doubt. But I would not leave them a shred of anything we built.

I wonder how many ODAs and Raider teams will have to straphang or mission shop elsewhere....

Averageman
03-18-24, 13:49

How Diplomatic would you like to get with the Biden Administration?
No one trusts them anymore to keep their words or color between the lines, I can't blame them.

03-18-24, 14:18
An entire planet exists outside our favorite news channels.

chuckman
03-18-24, 14:28
How Diplomatic would you like to get with the Biden Administration?
No one trusts them anymore to keep their words or color between the lines, I can't blame them.

My response has nothing to do with diplomacy, but in risk mitigation. With the amount of Islamic extremists and other known terrorist entities in the area, as well as potential Russian competition, I don't want to leave anything of value or use their for anyone else.

03-18-24, 14:34
My response has nothing to do with diplomacy, but in risk mitigation. With the amount of Islamic extremists and other known terrorist entities in the area, as well as potential Russian competition, I don't want to leave anything of value or use their for anyone else.

Known Russian competition. Remember that the resource is uranium.

Wanna say Daesh frontline trace from inside Mali got within 90km of the capitol of Niger like 2 months before the coup.

Diamondback
03-18-24, 14:43

I wonder how many ODAs and Raider teams will have to straphang or mission shop elsewhere....

We tore down Chateauroux-Deols Air Depot (major USAFE and NATO aircraft maintenance hub) almost to the ground when DeGasbag kicked us out in '66, all the way down to takin up the greens from the golf course and jackhammering the slabs the Quonset huts rested on.

TAZ
03-18-24, 15:00
So who is moving in? Russia or China or both.

Go Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03-18-24, 15:22
So who is moving in? Russia or China or both.

Go Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read.

ABNAK
03-18-24, 19:23
Russia in. US out.

If I was to wager a guess, I would think it was the Chinese who had the biggest interest in the area because of the mineral mining? They are all up in Africa's shit the last few years.

This could be another "Russia! Russia! Russia!" scream-fest publicly but since a great deal of D.C. is paid off by the Chicoms it makes sense why they'd run interference for them.

ETA-just read 1168's posts and maybe it's the Rooskies too? I hate to see it as a "Chinaman behind every tree" but they have their hands all over Africa.

SteyrAUG
03-18-24, 21:13
We tore down Chateauroux-Deols Air Depot (major USAFE and NATO aircraft maintenance hub) almost to the ground when DeGasbag kicked us out in '66, all the way down to takin up the greens from the golf course and jackhammering the slabs the Quonset huts rested on.

Should be SOP every time.

SteyrAUG
03-18-24, 21:18
If I was to wager a guess, I would think it was the Chinese who had the biggest interest in the area because of the mineral mining? They are all up in Africa's shit the last few years.

This could be another "Russia! Russia! Russia!" scream-fest publicly but since a great deal of D.C. is paid off by the Chicoms it makes sense why they'd run interference for them.

ETA-just read 1168's posts and maybe it's the Rooskies too? I hate to see it as a "Chinaman behind every tree" but they have their hands all over Africa.

Much as I hate to say it, it's because China is smart enough to make the deal without demanding locals adopt their culture / communism. They are just there to "buy stuff", if only we had been as smart. And I'm not talking about giving terrorist groups a pass or anything, just maybe a little less "have you heard the good news" stuff.

There are few things worth going to Africa for, all the gold and diamonds don't begin to equal the hardship that comes from being in Africa. I suppose we have to hunt the terrorist groups that train there and have a capacity to threaten us and I guess keeping track of uranium is important but it wouldn't be a very long list if I was in charge.

yoni
03-18-24, 23:03
In meetings over the week end between a stupid person from State, the general from the army and the key people in Niger, the bitch from State did nothing but insult and talk down to the government of Niger.

So the government of Niger told the USA to go to hell.

From what I have been told the insults were worse than what Schummer and Brandon have been giving Israel.

I think that the USA will join France as the most hated countries by Africa.

I stand by what I have been saying for a while now, NO American administration has ever done Africa and the Middle East the way it should be done.

chuckman
03-19-24, 07:40
In meetings over the week end between a stupid person from State, the general from the army and the key people in Niger, the bitch from State did nothing but insult and talk down to the government of Niger.

So the government of Niger told the USA to go to hell.

From what I have been told the insults were worse than what Schummer and Brandon have been giving Israel.

I think that the USA will join France as the most hated countries by Africa.

I stand by what I have been saying for a while now, NO American administration has ever done Africa and the Middle East the way it should be done.

This goes back a bit. This decision was not made last week.

Niger, Mali, and BF made a military pact to assume the mission the US had (regardless of whether they were properly trained or equipped) and Niger wanted more from the US and the US wanted conditions (re: uranium and Iran). This has been brewing for a while.

The 3rd SFG guys have been saying that relations have been souring for a while.

I agree, most of Africa hates the US (and France, and England, and Belgium, and Spain, and Portugal). But of all these countries, only three are in any position of influence (US, France, and England), so even with leaving Mali, the US will still have presence on the continent, and even the countries that hate us will be happy to take our $.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-19-24, 08:45

From what little I've read, the underlying issue is that late last year the Biden administration formally declared the military takeover in Niger was a coup which restricts US military assistance. Russia can provide weapons and equipment without self-imposed restrictions and lecturing Niger on human rights, international law... blah blah blah... that came to a head the other day.

Nigerian military spokesman summed it up Saturday: "Russia is a partner with which Niger deals on a state-to-state basis, in accordance with military cooperation agreements signed with the previous government, to acquire military equipment necessary to its fight against the terrorists who have claimed thousands of innocent Nigerian victims under the indifferent eye of much of the international community."

03-19-24, 17:00
From what little I've read, the underlying issue is that late last year the Biden administration formally declared the military takeover in Niger was a coup which restricts US military assistance. Russia can provide weapons and equipment without self-imposed restrictions and lecturing Niger on human rights, international law... blah blah blah... that came to a head the other day.

Nigerian military spokesman summed it up Saturday: "Russia is a partner with which Niger deals on a state-to-state basis, in accordance with military cooperation agreements signed with the previous government, to acquire military equipment necessary to its fight against the terrorists who have claimed thousands of innocent Nigerian victims under the indifferent eye of much of the international community."

Russia was involved in the coup. Russia was also already the primary arms supplier. I’ve got pictures to demonstrate that, if you like. Also, Nigeria is a different country from Niger.

lowprone
03-19-24, 18:43
I don't care if Niger does not want our money any more, the crux is that Niger is not afraid of us either !

pag23
03-19-24, 19:29
Russia was involved in the coup. Russia was also already the primary arms supplier. I’ve got pictures to demonstrate that, if you like. Also, Nigeria is a different country from Niger.

Russia is creepin......while Chiden is sleeping...

ABNAK
03-19-24, 21:08

Interesting.

I have to SMH when I hear about Russian "counter-terrorism" assistance. Those bastards don't give a damn about helping eradicate "terrorism", unless it's stuff being sent to groups inside Russia that their .gov doesn't like. I guess everybody looks after their own ass first.

vicious_cb
03-20-24, 03:44
Interesting.

I have to SMH when I hear about Russian "counter-terrorism" assistance. Those bastards don't give a damn about helping eradicate "terrorism", unless it's stuff being sent to groups inside Russia that their .gov doesn't like. I guess everybody looks after their own ass first.

Its the same game the US plays at "counter-terrorism". Its all part of the global chessboard and control of natural resources. We are about to see the complete collapse of the EU as a global power. German industry is collapsing from high energy costs, while France is not reliant on natural gas but on nuclear power. Cheap uranium comes from two places, Russia and Africa. France will soon feel the squeeze Germany is currently feeling and will be forced to buy US uranium at 5x the cost(who actually gets it from Canada). Make no mistake, the European powers will be sacrificial lambs between the Great Power games being played between the US and Russia/China.

chuckman
03-20-24, 08:23
Interesting.

Russia is not immune from Islam terror functions, so they do have a stake in a CT mission. But that is value-added to Russia's money and geopolitical posturing.

Diamondback
03-20-24, 13:04
Russia is not immune from Islam terror functions, so they do have a stake in a CT mission. But that is value-added to Russia's money and geopolitical posturing.

Don't forget all the terrs the KGB sponsored in the late-stage Cold War. To them it's "terorism done by our buddies to others good, terrorism by NOT our buddies against us bad." If it wasn't for double standards they'd have NO standards...

chuckman
03-20-24, 13:12
Don't forget all the terrs the KGB sponsored in the late-stage Cold War. To them it's "terorism done by our buddies to others good, terrorism by NOT our buddies against us bad." If it wasn't for double standards they'd have NO standards...

This is true; reminds me of that old saying "one man's freedom fighter is another man's guerrilla."

Remember when the Russian diplomats were kidnapped in 1985? The KGB went medieval on Hezbollah. Then the Chechen terrorists in the Russian theater. When terrorism is thrown against them, they'll respond pretty harshly. Or reciprocally, depending on your view. But they'll pay them to do it to someone else.

Diamondback
03-20-24, 13:15
This is true; reminds me of that old saying "one man's freedom fighter is another man's guerrilla."

Remember when the Russian diplomats were kidnapped in 1985? The KGB went medieval on Hezbollah. Then the Chechen terrorists in the Russian theater. When terrorism is thrown against them, they'll respond pretty harshly. Or reciprocally, depending on your view. But they'll pay them to do it to someone else.

Not just pay, supply and train. F*ck all KGB/GRU scum and all who support them.

chuckman
03-20-24, 13:37
Not just pay, supply and train. F*ck all KGB/GRU scum and all who support them.

OK, let's play that game: same can be said for CIA and MI6. No one has clean hands.

Entryteam
03-20-24, 13:57
OK, let's play that game: same can be said for CIA and MI6. No one has clean hands.

This man has a point.

georgeib
03-20-24, 21:03
OK, let's play that game: same can be said for CIA and MI6. No one has clean hands.Yup. Been doing it for decades.

Artos
03-20-24, 21:27
Just watched Trafficked w/ Mariana Van Zeller...she & her team were in Niger doing a story & got caught in the coup on day one.

Took about a week to gtfo...worth catching.

chuckman
03-21-24, 09:32
I am working with some 3rd SFG guys today and tomorrow. This has been quite the discussion. SOCOM is working to find them business elsewhere in Africa, but if they can't, they'll come home. They are telling their families, "I might be home tomorrow, I might be home in four months." The guys in the pipeline to deploy to Niger are being told they might use that block to go to schools or have extra dwell time.

Averageman
03-21-24, 09:59
I am working with some 3rd SFG guys today and tomorrow. This has been quite the discussion. SOCOM is working to find them business elsewhere in Africa, but if they can't, they'll come home. They are telling their families, "I might be home tomorrow, I might be home in four months." The guys in the pipeline to deploy to Niger are being told they might use that block to go to schools or have extra dwell time.

That's intresting Chuck.
I blame our diplomacy, we don't have a history of doing that very well and if I was the leader of a foreign Country I might seriously think twice about the United States as an Allies.
We have a recent history that's about as bad as it can get when it comes to handling Diplomacy.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-21-24, 10:30
Article offers a bit of history and context.

3/19./2024

A couple excerpts:

After a group of military officers deposed Niger’s democratically elected President Mohamed Bazoum last summer, the U.S. spent months avoiding the term “coup” before finally, as mandated by law, suspending approximately $200 million in aid.

Langley, the AFRICOM chief, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that Russia was attempting to “take over” the Sahel. “During the past three years, national defense forces turned their guns against their own elected governments in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali, and Niger,” he said, complaining that due to U.S. aid limitations following coups, these governments “turn to partners who lack restrictions in dealing with coup governments … particularly Russia.”

Langley failed to mention that at least 15 officers who benefited from U.S. security assistance have been involved in 12 coups in West Africa and the greater Sahel during the war on terror, including Burkina Faso (2014, 2015, and twice in 2022); Guinea (2021); Mali (2012, 2020, and 2021); and Niger (2023). At least five leaders of the July 2023 coup in Niger received American assistance, according to a U.S. official. The coup leaders, in turn, appointed five U.S.-trained members of the Nigerien security forces to serve as that country’s governors.

More here: https://theintercept.com/2024/03/19/niger-junta-throws-us-troops-drone-base/

03-21-24, 13:42
I bet they’d get a few more reenlistments in DJ.

ABNAK
03-21-24, 18:59
Question for those in the know: is 3rd SFG responsible for "tropical" Africa too? i.e. Cameroon, Burundi, Congo, Liberia, Guinea, etc. The places once known as "deep dark Africa" where there are triple canopy rainforests (jungles). That would be an interesting scope of responsibility, ranging from flat-out deserts in the northern AO's, to savannahs, to jungles.

Wake27
03-21-24, 20:11
Question for those in the know: is 3rd SFG responsible for "tropical" Africa too? i.e. Cameroon, Burundi, Congo, Liberia, Guinea, etc. The places once known as "deep dark Africa" where there are triple canopy rainforests (jungles). That would be an interesting scope of responsibility, ranging from flat-out deserts in the northern AO's, to savannahs, to jungles.

Yes they are. Other groups have had responsibilities on the continent in the past but 3rd SFG owns Africa as a whole at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuckman
03-22-24, 07:26

Africa is their primary AOR. MARSOC also has a footprint in Africa, and the Navy has taken over as the leading enterprise for the horn.

chuckman
03-26-24, 12:06
Yesterday a friend came to visit and shoot the shit. He is with a 3rd Group ODA. He was in Niger last summer during the coup. This cross-threads into the recruitment/retention threads.

They were training a Nigerian unit. His ODA are trained in French and Arabic. No one in the unit spoke either, and they all spoke one of four dialects of the local tribe. So their terp had to interpret everything, four times, in four different dialects. He said his ODA leadership had gone to company and batt regarding the uselessness of the languages, yet they are all having to go through a refresher for both languages prior to redeployment to Africa this fall. They were denied the extra time to train in other things they actually do over having to train in languages they already know. Furthermore, they could train and advise, but not accompany on missions. When the unit would get into trouble, they would react as a QRF and have to be there anyway.

The coup. They were remote, woke up and kitted up to do an op, the unit's Fox (intel guy) said to stand down, there was a coup going on. Half the military followed the old guy, half the new guy. They didn't know who their unit followed, and said guys were just walking out of the military: changing clothes and leaving.

They finally got orders to evac AMCITs, and "were going all over Niger looking for these people, most of whom never checked in with the embassy." The pro-coup forces were killing all known French (had stormed and burned the French embassy), and fairly indiscriminately killing white people. They were told to go low profile, and according to the RSO, that meant wearing civvies, but kitted up, all weapons stored in the back of their up-armored Land Cruisers, which weren't tinted. He said they would ride through riots in the streets, people would see white people, not know they weren't French, and start shooting the vehicles.

Got orders to evac the US embassy. The embassy would not allow them on embassy grounds, said that DS would "use diplomacy to talk their way out of violence." DS made them park in the street, where hostile crowds were encroaching, throwing things at them. Embassy staff had to walk through opened gates to get to the vehicles. Then, one of the under-ambassadors decided he was in charge and started giving the ODA team leader orders. He and the team leader "had it out", team leader told him he could "get his bag and walk the **** to the airport on his own," and ordered the convoy to drive away. They got about 30 feet when the guy flagged them down and told the team leader he would follow his orders.

He said the Marines MSG were good to deal with, they had responsibility for securing the ambo and the SCIF and sensitive/TSS stuff and did a good job.

After evac, they were told to hold tight as a QRF/CRF until there was a plan, but sat around a secured compound and did nothing until they were ordered to leave.

He said there is a ton of work to be had in Africa, but even in the countries that want us there, our military/administration is risk-averse so unwilling to let them do what they need to do. He said it is 180 degrees than from before Biden (admin), even Obama's admin let them work like they needed to work. Morale in SF is low, having reverted to a 'peacetime' mindset with a lot of leaders. They are also working harder: because of the lack of recruitment/retention, they have fewer people in the SF Q course and pipeline, so fewer people on an ODA (supposed to be 12). His is the only ODA in his company with two medics, all others have just 1, and a lot of medics are getting out because they are overworked. He said 2/3 of their training budget got pulled into the Ukraine aid package, so a lot of schools and training ops have been canceled or denied.

He has 12 years in, will do one more deployment and make a decision to get out altogether, or go to a SMU.

03-26-24, 12:27
Yesterday a friend came to visit and shoot the shit. He is with a 3rd Group ODA. He was in Niger last summer during the coup. This cross-threads into the recruitment/retention threads.

They were training a Nigerian unit. His ODA are trained in French and Arabic. No one in the unit spoke either, and they all spoke one of four dialects of the local tribe. So their terp had to interpret everything, four times, in four different dialects. He said his ODA leadership had gone to company and batt regarding the uselessness of the languages, yet they are all having to go through a refresher for both languages prior to redeployment to Africa this fall. They were denied the extra time to train in other things they actually do over having to train in languages they already know. Furthermore, they could train and advise, but not accompany on missions. When the unit would get into trouble, they would react as a QRF and have to be there anyway.

The coup. They were remote, woke up and kitted up to do an op, the unit's Fox (intel guy) said to stand down, there was a coup going on. Half the military followed the old guy, half the new guy. They didn't know who their unit followed, and said guys were just walking out of the military: changing clothes and leaving.

They finally got orders to evac AMCITs, and "were going all over Niger looking for these people, most of whom never checked in with the embassy." The pro-coup forces were killing all known French (had stormed and burned the French embassy), and fairly indiscriminately killing white people. They were told to go low profile, and according to the RSO, that meant wearing civvies, but kitted up, all weapons stored in the back of their up-armored Land Cruisers, which weren't tinted. He said they would ride through riots in the streets, people would see white people, not know they weren't French, and start shooting the vehicles.

Got orders to evac the US embassy. The embassy would not allow them on embassy grounds, said that DS would "use diplomacy to talk their way out of violence." DS made them park in the street, where hostile crowds were encroaching, throwing things at them. Embassy staff had to walk through opened gates to get to the vehicles. Then, one of the under-ambassadors decided he was in charge and started giving the ODA team leader orders. He and the team leader "had it out", team leader told him he could "get his bag and walk the **** to the airport on his own," and ordered the convoy to drive away. They got about 30 feet when the guy flagged them down and told the team leader he would follow his orders.

He said the Marines MSG were good to deal with, they had responsibility for securing the ambo and the SCIF and sensitive/TSS stuff and did a good job.

After evac, they were told to hold tight as a QRF/CRF until there was a plan, but sat around a secured compound and did nothing until they were ordered to leave.

He said there is a ton of work to be had in Africa, but even in the countries that want us there, our military/administration is risk-averse so unwilling to let them do what they need to do. He said it is 180 degrees than from before Biden (admin), even Obama's admin let them work like they needed to work. Morale in SF is low, having reverted to a 'peacetime' mindset with a lot of leaders. They are also working harder: because of the lack of recruitment/retention, they have fewer people in the SF Q course and pipeline, so fewer people on an ODA (supposed to be 12). His is the only ODA in his company with two medics, all others have just 1, and a lot of medics are getting out because they are overworked. He said 2/3 of their training budget got pulled into the Ukraine aid package, so a lot of schools and training ops have been canceled or denied.

He has 12 years in, will do one more deployment and make a decision to get out altogether, or go to a SMU. I was there last summer. Pretty much everyone from there that I interacted with, including local soldiers guarding shit, dudes selling mangos in the street, grocery cashiers, and cops all spoke French. The local periodicals are published in French, also. Food and drink labels are in French. Military patches and organization names are in French. The money is in French. Dudes that work at the embassies speak French. Even the near-feral kids speak French.

East Africa is a totally different story.

There are certainly leashes in place politically in AFRICOM that weren’t always so short.

chuckman
03-26-24, 12:42
I was there last summer. Pretty much everyone from there that I interacted with, including local soldiers guarding shit, dudes selling mangos in the street, grocery cashiers, and cops all spoke French. The local periodicals are published in French, also. Food and drink labels are in French. Military patches and organization names are in French. The money is in French. Dudes that work at the embassies speak French. Even the near-feral kids speak French.

East Africa is a totally different story.

There are certainly leashes in place politically in AFRICOM that weren’t always so short.

He was in the west, but I do not know where in the west. He did say near Mali. All of my Africa time was in far west Africa, the horn, and southwest. No French, a lot of the Queen's English.

03-26-24, 12:53
I know exactly where he was. In fact, I probably know who he is.

The Queen’s English works well in past English colonies like Kenya. As you know, French will work in DJ, but not in Somalia or Libya.

French-speaking westerners get targeted sometimes. There’s a lot of anti-French sentiment spilling out of Mali.

chuckman
03-26-24, 13:45
I know exactly where he was. In fact, I probably know who he is.

The Queen’s English works well in past English colonies like Kenya. As you know, French will work in DJ, but not in Somalia or Libya.

French-speaking westerners get targeted sometimes. There’s a lot of anti-French sentiment spilling out of Mali.

English worked well enough for me in a lot of places, but I know only a handful of phrases in Arabic and zip of anything else on the Horn. But then it wasn't as important to me, I wasn't a "By, with, through..." guy.

03-26-24, 14:03
English worked well enough for me in a lot of places, but I know only a handful of phrases in Arabic and zip of anything else on the Horn. But then it wasn't as important to me, I wasn't a "By, with, through..." guy.

Yup. Arabic will get you by much of the time in the coastal nations on the Horn. I much prefer the Horn to W Africa in some ways. They have wars differently. The food is better.

glocktogo
03-27-24, 10:40
I watched Trafficked With Mariana van Zeller last night (aired on NatGeo 3/20/24) and she was trapped in Niger during the coup. She'd been reporting on terrorist groups robbing gold mining operations in the country, to fund terrorism. If you don't know about her, she is a true investigative journalist who goes to very dangerous places to interview very dangerous people. I honestly don't know how she's stayed alive through all of it. I've watched every episode of this show since S1E1 and this was the most pensive and afraid I've ever seen her. As usual, the US State Dept. was worse than useless. She and her team were ultimately extracted by a private rescue team. She was in tears when they finally went wheels up.

Anyway, they cover the US funding and drone base angle in the episode. It isn't posted on NatGeo's website just yet, but I'd rank it as a must watch. They also touch on Russia's role in destabilizing Niger and the region. Link below along with a Rogan podcast where she discusses it, (which I haven't watched yet).

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/shows/trafficked-underworlds-with-mariana-van-zeller/episode-guide/season-01/episode-10-caught-in-an-african-coup/vdka36076744

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDrmTqNWE2E