PDA

View Full Version : 2A Rights to Bearable Arms for Offense and Defense: Where do Drones fit in?

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-31-24, 11:07
So from Miller through Heller, we have set the precedent that we have an individual right to bearable arms that can be used for offensive and defensive purposes. Having seen the impact and use of drones in Ukraine, I wonder what kind of litigation we could see around people owning drones and what kind of capability they could have.

utahjeepr
03-31-24, 16:22
Can't quote the exact FAR, but I'm positive that armed aircraft of any kind are off limits for civilians. I think it would be a heavy lift to see that change.

ABNAK
03-31-24, 18:40
Can't quote the exact FAR, but I'm positive that armed aircraft of any kind are off limits for civilians. I think it would be a heavy lift to see that change.

That is roughly what I've heard also. Mounting just a .22LR to your drone is extremely verboten.

It would be kinda cool and all....

Alex V
04-01-24, 06:19
Aren’t most of the drones there carrying grenades? That would be the first stumbling block.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-01-24, 06:57
I have the constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Drones have no such right. As constitutional matter… Armed drone = No.

Averageman
04-01-24, 07:28
I believe in order to arm any aircraft, you have to jump through some serious hoops, Law Enforcement for the most part cannot do it.

Diamondback
04-01-24, 09:04
I seem to recall the FAA throwing a screaming hissyfit when a Philly PD chopper had one of the GIB's chuck a bomb out the side-door onto a house in the middle of a siege. Heck, you should see the bloody nuisance they make for just the propan-igniter simulated "machine guns" Commemorative Air Force uses and the "bomb" pyro for all their Pearl Harbor displays has to be placed groundside...

Can't wait to hear how they Bitchy Little Girl that retired Marine pilot who just bought a UK-surplus Sea Harrier flyaway...

jsbhike
04-01-24, 21:58
What was advertised during the founding years of the country?

https://www.madisonbrigade.com/t_coxe.htm

SteyrAUG
04-01-24, 23:45
I believe in order to arm any aircraft, you have to jump through some serious hoops, Law Enforcement for the most part cannot do it.

Seems bombs are OK though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_MOVE_bombing

The 1985 MOVE bombing, locally known by its date, May 13, 1985, was the destruction of residential homes in the Cobbs Creek neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, by the Philadelphia Police Department during a standoff with MOVE, a black liberation organization. Philadelphia police dropped two explosive devices from a helicopter onto the roof of a house occupied by MOVE. The Philadelphia Police Department allowed the resulting fire to burn out of control, destroying 61 previously evacuated neighboring homes over two city blocks and leaving 250 people homeless. Six adults and five children were killed in the attack, with one adult and one child surviving. A lawsuit in federal court found that the city used excessive force and violated constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure.