PDA

View Full Version : Question on BUIS

Mr. Greene
04-05-24, 12:14
So Ive been noticing over the last few years that more and more people aren’t running BUIS on their AR and solely relying on the optic (red dot,lpvo,etc) is this the new trend? And are they obsolete now? Curious on thoughts.

Entryteam
04-05-24, 12:17
So Ive been noticing over the last few years that more and more people aren’t running BUIS on their AR and solely relying on the optic (red dot,lpvo,etc) is this the new trend? And are they obsolete now? Curious on thoughts.

I don't do it. I want that failsafe for when Mr Murphy shows up. YMMV.

Waylander
04-05-24, 12:17
I feel it’s better to have and not need than need and not have.

markm
04-05-24, 12:24
Shoot. I had my Sig Romeo just quit in the middle of a string of fire two weeks ago. Didn't dim out... just quit. Now I know it's not an Aimpoint, and it's on a range blaster, but it was a real eye opener. I'm used to watching pistol RDS fail all the time, but not carbean.

I run NO carbines with RDS only.

Entryteam
04-05-24, 12:41
Shoot. I had my Sig Romeo just quit in the middle of a string of fire two weeks ago. Didn't dim out... just quit. Now I know it's not an Aimpoint, and it's on a range blaster, but it was a real eye opener. I'm used to watching pistol RDS fail all the time, but not carbean.

I run NO carbines with RDS only.

Dang... I've not heard of much of that occurring with Sig Rom 5s. Heck. I love mine.

Waylander
04-05-24, 12:57
Uh oh, something else Mark has added to his shit list?! [emoji23]

markm
04-05-24, 13:03
Dang... I've not heard of much of that occurring with Sig Rom 5s. Heck. I love mine.

Odd too. The guys I was shooting with seemed to know that's how the battery goes. Pappabear had a spare handy and it was right back up.

Uh oh, something else Mark has added to his shit list?! [emoji23]

Nah. If I buy something like a Romeo, I have no delusions that it is going to be as good as an Aimpoint. Now when those damned Aimpoint PROs and CTOs come out with dead batteries, that's annoying. At least, however, the Aimpoints will give you a last bit of life so you know you need a battery.

Uncas47
04-05-24, 13:17
The only time I use mine is checking zero with whatever ammo, never actually needed them, but they will always be there. Essential kit for me.

markm
04-05-24, 13:58
The only time I use mine is checking zero with whatever ammo, never actually needed them, but they will always be there. Essential kit for me.

Also.. a good way to check that the dot hasn't lost zero. Reconcile it to the irons, and you don't have to shoot it to confirm.

sinister
04-05-24, 14:22
There are a lot of people (including trainers) who use an alternate back-up (maybe a smaller red dot) vice irons.

Many who choose not to use a back-up at all are not in the real-world gunfight business where the risk of an electro-optic failing means somebody (not the bad guy) could be shot, crippled, or killed.

Not an actuary or statistician, but there's always risk (which equals likelihood x consequences) -- why, over time, things like seatbelts, airbags, helmets, insurance, reserve parachutes, IFAKs and tourniquets, and/or a handgun might be considered prudent backstops. You don't need any of them -- but when you do you need it now.

titsonritz
04-05-24, 15:01
There are a lot of people (including trainers) who use an alternate back-up (maybe a smaller red dot) vice irons.

This is what I’m seeing, a lot of LPVOs with MRDS. I have one setup that way myself. My RDS guns have BUIS. Should have a least two minimum sighting methods IMO.

odugrad
04-05-24, 15:05
I feel that for as small as some buis are there's no real downside to having them. I really like the MBUS pros.

Uncas47
04-05-24, 15:10
Also.. a good way to check that the dot hasn't lost zero. Reconcile it to the irons, and you don't have to shoot it to confirm.
Absolutely, but I still shoot to verify lol, using much less ammo.

markm
04-05-24, 15:11
I feel that for as small as some buis are there's no real downside to having them. I really like the MBUS pros.

I have a regular plastic MBUS on the gun with the Romeo that shut off. It's got a real Front sight base. That combo isn't bad at all for back up.

Uncas47
04-05-24, 15:14

Many who choose not to use a back-up at all are not in the real-world gunfight business where the risk of an electro-optic failing means somebody (not the bad guy) could be shot, crippled, or killed.

Not an actuary or statistician, but there's always risk (which equals likelihood x consequences) -- why, over time, things like seatbelts, airbags, helmets, insurance, reserve parachutes, IFAKs and tourniquets, and/or a handgun might be considered prudent backstops. You don't need any of them -- but when you do you need it now.
I'm not in the real world gunfighting business, and hope I never have to be, but.....

glocktogo
04-05-24, 15:56
I might use an RDS to backup a magnified optic on a range only gun, but anything intended for off-range use will have BUIS. I think I only have one AR that doesn't have BUIS and it hasn't even been to the range yet.

C-grunt
04-05-24, 15:59
Modern optics are very reliable. That being said they do still fail. I drove to my uncles ranch in Oklahoma to do some hog hunting. My TA31 ACOG died during the smooth highway drive there. Sitting in a padded hard case too. Luckily the back up irons on the gun still worked.

On a more serious note, a dude in my company had his Aimpoint shot off his M16 in 2005. He flipped up his irons and continued the fight.

kirkland
04-05-24, 17:18
I still have standing irons in front and back of my red dot. Non folding. They aren't in the same plane of focus as the red dot and don't interfere with the red dot sight picture, I never even think about taking them off. They're just there when or if I need them.

HKGuns
04-05-24, 17:40
I used to put folding back up Iron sights on everything. But you reach a point of accumulation where that no longer makes a lot of sense.

Around two years ago I switched from putting them on everything to as follows:

Scoped rifles - Scope only, no irons
RDS / EOTech - Optic and Irons

Then of course I have rifles with irons only and those that come with iron sights standard with some sort of optic added. EX: HK91 with claw mounted Hendsoldt Fero Z or MP5 with an RDS.

My oddest combination is the Tavor, it has an LPVO with a small RDS on top of the scope. It also has the built in folding irons as well.

ABNAK
04-05-24, 17:47
I don't do it. I want that failsafe for when Mr Murphy shows up. YMMV.

Ding Ding Ding!!! They are called "back-up iron sights" for a reason. Maybe I'm too old school or whatever, but any of mine that have RDS or even an ACOG/LPVO have BUIS.

YMMV.

e z money
04-05-24, 20:48
I'm thinking about putting a 5x prism scope on my next rifle and having iron sights on a 45 degree offset with a large rear aperture or even ghost ring rear sight. The irons on an offset would be a second sighting system for fast close up shots instead of buis. I'm going to try it out and see if I like it. I don't know if it's a dumb idea.

ViniVidivici
04-05-24, 21:18
All our rifles have BUIS, regardless of optic type. Some have fixed front sights or FSBs too. Only way to roll, for reasons others have already stated here.

04-05-24, 21:44
I have Aimpoint red dots on my ARs, and yes, I have backup iron sights on all of them.

SteyrAUG
04-06-24, 17:03
Given the minimum size and weight, I'm not sure I can think of a single reason not to have BUIS.

pag23
04-06-24, 19:08
I have back up sights on all my rifles.....scoped or RDS.

26 Inf
04-06-24, 23:39
I have BUIS on every 'serious' rifle I have but not every rifle. Here are some thoughts I've had on the matter:

Optics are 'technology' and can fail, keeping up on batteries and checking contacts when you change batteries can help. That being said my biggest fear in a two-way encounter would be damage from gunfire, debris, or rough handling.

We always seem to imagine how our gunfights are going to go in a way the never ends in 'and then I died.' In our imaginary gunfight we will always have time to go to our BUIS. Going to BUIS can mean several things - dropping head down to pick them up in a lower third cowitness (may not be possible if tube has taken a round), rolling rifle to side in order get angled sights into play, or flipping up a front and rear combo. Point being, with it going fast and furious within, say, fifty yards, what will you really have time to do?

For example, I used to have a couple of CSAT apertures installed on rear sights. I liked the idea of being able to use the traditional pistol sight system - rear notch, front sight blade - for close in shots in order to avoid having to hold over for CNS shots. In practice I found that unless I started out on the notch, my dumbass was slower than with regular aperture and holding off. Because if I was looking through the normal aperture I had to decide, 'hey, this guys closer than 25' and then 'hey, I need to shoot him in between the eyes' and then 'hey, I need to go from the aperture to the notch' well by the time I did all that, found a sight picture in the notch, I was about 1 second off from just raising the front sight to his hairline. But that's just me.

The bottom line is we may need to get the next shot off too quickly to bring iron sights into the fray if our optic gets disabled. Train using the tube of the optic as a sight. If you've got a FSB rifle, where does it hit if you center it in the tube?

If your tube is a jagged hunk of metal you cant see through, traditional railed mounted BUIS aren't going to do you much good. If you have nothing else, how well do you shoot 'stance-directed' looking alongside the barrel?

BUIS or a MRDS are great if you have time to put them into play and/or the damage to your primary optic isn't such that they are out of play.

SteyrAUG
04-07-24, 01:29
I have BUIS on every 'serious' rifle I have but not every rifle. Here are some thoughts I've had on the matter:

Optics are 'technology' and can fail, keeping up on batteries and checking contacts when you change batteries can help. That being said my biggest fear in a two-way encounter would be damage from gunfire, debris, or rough handling.

We always seem to imagine how our gunfights are going to go in a way the never ends in 'and then I died.' In our imaginary gunfight we will always have time to go to our BUIS. Going to BUIS can mean several things - dropping head down to pick them up in a lower third cowitness (may not be possible if tube has taken a round), rolling rifle to side in order get angled sights into play, or flipping up a front and rear combo. Point being, with it going fast and furious within, say, fifty yards, what will you really have time to do?

For example, I used to have a couple of CSAT apertures installed on rear sights. I liked the idea of being able to use the traditional pistol sight system - rear notch, front sight blade - for close in shots in order to avoid having to hold over for CNS shots. In practice I found that unless I started out on the notch, my dumbass was slower than with regular aperture and holding off. Because if I was looking through the normal aperture I had to decide, 'hey, this guys closer than 25' and then 'hey, I need to shoot him in between the eyes' and then 'hey, I need to go from the aperture to the notch' well by the time I did all that, found a sight picture in the notch, I was about 1 second off from just raising the front sight to his hairline. But that's just me.

The bottom line is we may need to get the next shot off too quickly to bring iron sights into the fray if our optic gets disabled. Train using the tube of the optic as a sight. If you've got a FSB rifle, where does it hit if you center it in the tube?

If your tube is a jagged hunk of metal you cant see through, traditional railed mounted BUIS aren't going to do you much good. If you have nothing else, how well do you shoot 'stance-directed' looking alongside the barrel?

BUIS or a MRDS are great if you have time to put them into play and/or the damage to your primary optic isn't such that they are out of play.

So you make a point about moving to them while engaged. I have some iron sight rifles that don't fold that are co witnessed with my RDS so no problem there. But to me BUIS are for times when you are carrying a rifle because you have to and at some point something fails or gets damaged and the Plan B is already in place.

I've also learned to "point shoot" at close distance. I have been shown repeatedly that sometimes you get zero warning and you are lucky if you can get the barrel up and a shot off.

ABNAK
04-07-24, 12:24

That's where either offset BUIS or a quick-detach mount for the optic would come in handy. Digging for an Allen wrench to remove your damaged optic while rounds are zipping past your head ain't the most optimal situation to be in. Either tilting the weapon to use the offsets or reaching up and hitting a throw lever then slapping the trashed scope off the rail and out of the way would be a good deal more, uh, efficient.

Diamondback
04-07-24, 12:30
Deuce-Six, the scenario you describe is why a lot of Elcans have vestigial irons mounted right on top of the optic. Glass gets broke, move your head a little higher and drive on.

Frankly, if I have the luxury of time to KNOW I'm going into a fight, I'm grabbing the FSB M4 and deploying the rear BUIS while I move to engage so that even if the Aimpoint takes a crap the iron's already there. C.'s C8 is set up similarly based on how a Canuck buddy set up his in the Rockpile, with the CF-issue plastic fixed sight at the very rear of the upper and the Eotech up front raised for lower-third so it's "adjust eye position and get back to work."

Uncas47
04-07-24, 12:35
That's where either offset BUIS or a quick-detach mount for the optic would come in handy. Digging for an Allen wrench to remove your damaged optic while rounds are zipping past your head ain't the most optimal situation to be in. Either tilting the weapon to use the offsets or reaching up and hitting a throw lever then slapping the trashed scope off the rail and out of the way would be a good deal more, uh, efficient.
Even the QRP2 gets the Aimpoint off without tools, it's almost like they foresaw the need lol.

triggerjerk
04-07-24, 12:46
Fudd here. When red dots 1st came out, an LE buddy told me "fine until dark and the perp runs in front of a bright lighted sign and you lose your red dot aiming point. Couple of decades later, I had an AR with flip up irons. Got tired of acquiring front sight through a peep on that blaster gun. Ground the top half off of the big hole to make an open rear sight. Kinda liked it for bottles and cans. Ended up putting it on a co witnessed red dot ar pistole not long ago. In darkness I can flip irons up and still easily use red dot without rear peep interference. As I swing from dark to a light, transition to irons is automatic. On the back porch anyway.....

Disciple
04-08-24, 10:22

My view through a lower 1/3 mounted Romeo 4 or 5 to a midlength-FSB puts the bottom of the window almost perfectly even with the shelf of the front sight when the red dot is at the tip of the sight post. I think that is a useful reference alignment if I don't have time to raise the rear sight.

I haven't tried shooting with a fully occluded red dot. Is it better to keep both eyes open and ignore the sights entirely, trusting motor memory of the alignment, or roll the gun and try to index off the the handguard and barrel? I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in either case.

ABNAK
04-08-24, 19:05
My view through a lower 1/3 mounted Romeo 4 or 5 to a midlength-FSB puts the bottom of the window almost perfectly even with the shelf of the front sight when the red dot is at the tip of the sight post. I think that is a useful reference alignment if I don't have time to raise the rear sight.

I haven't tried shooting with a fully occluded red dot. Is it better to keep both eyes open and ignore the sights entirely, trusting motor memory of the alignment, or roll the gun and try to index off the the handguard and barrel? I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in either case.

That would be the modern-day equivalent to the Armson OEG of Son Tay Raider fame. It was designed to shoot with one eye open, and the same principle applies to an Aimpoint with the front lens cap closed.

It's been 20+ years ago that I had an Armson OEG on an AR carbine. It was cool for a "quick-shoot" CQB type of range (the dot was rather large, like 4MOA) but an actual non-occluded red dot was more accurate. Back then I shot a good deal more than I do now and noticed the difference, more so the further out you went.

Disciple
04-08-24, 21:52
That would be the modern-day equivalent to the Armson OEG of Son Tay Raider fame. It was designed to shoot with one eye open, and the same principle applies to an Aimpoint with the front lens cap closed.

I should have been more clear. By "fully" I meant with both ends covered, simulating "your tube is a jagged hunk of metal you cant see through" as 26 Inf was talking about. I have tried the front lens covered and phoria makes it a poor option for me at more than across the room distances.

davidjinks
04-09-24, 08:18
My personal opinion is……this is a direct representation with the ebbs and flows of the “gun community”.

Some dude/dudette/group/HSLD shows up with the latest and greatest gadgets or shows up without a particular piece of kit. When this happens, a lot of people just have to jump on it.

I have BUIS every rifle that has an optic. Hell, I have BUIS on rifles that have 2 optics. My thought process is; they’re light, small, low footprint, and they’re there when you need them. If you don’t need them, great, if you do, thank god you have them.

Molon
04-14-24, 16:38
That would be the modern-day equivalent to the Armson OEG of Son Tay Raider fame. It was designed to shoot with one eye open . . .

The Armson OEG gunsight was not designed to shoot with one eye open. It’s reason for being was to be able to aim with both eyes open. From Armson’s website:

“The O.E.G., or “Occluded Eye Gunsight” uses the brain’s ability to “blend” two images- it superimposes the red dot on the object you are looking at. This requires that both eyes remain open, which most shooters agree is tactically better at closer ranges.”

If you tried to aim with just your non-dominant eye open, you wouldn’t be able to see the dot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/armson_oeg_nondominant_view-3187946.jpg

If you tried to aim with just your dominant eye open, you wouldn’t be able to see the target beyond a few yards. If there was an armed combatant inside the doorway on the right side of the structure you wouldn’t be able to see it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/armson_oeg_dominant_eye_view-3187947.jpg

Uncas47
04-14-24, 17:31
The occluded red dot (front lens cover on) also has the advantage of not having to constantly adjust brightness in varying light conditions. My house gun has it on, dark room, bright room, white light on or off makes no difference, the dot remains the same. Only a bright light from the rear will affect it, but still shootable.

GTF425
04-14-24, 17:49
My house gun has it on.

Same; and for the same reasons you noted. Never washing the dot out with the weapon light or in changing lighting conditions is a big advantage for a home gun.

For the guys who run bino NODs; you can still aim with the RDS and use an IR light if you run the front cap closed. Nice tool to have in the toolbox.

Molon
04-14-24, 18:08
Occluded-eye sighting also has a significant disadvantage of decreased precision and huge point-of-impact shifts due to phoria, depending upon the individual's eyes.

The Effects of Phoria When Using the ACOG as an Occluded-Eye Gunsight

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/trijicon_ta11_002-1898830.jpg

Phoria: the visual effect that occurs when one eye is blocked from seeing the same view of a target as the other eye; the blocked eye does not get the same sensory input as the other eye and can begin to wonder off, usually to one side or the other.

I installed a Progressive Machine and Tool flip-down front lens cover on a Trijicon TA-11 ACOG.. With the lens cover in the up position (blocking the view through the scope) the ACOG can function as a non-magnified occluded-eye gunsight; functioning more like a non-magnified red-dot sight, than a magnified scope. However, when the ACOG is functioning as an occluded-eye gunsight, the view of the target for the eye looking into the scope is blocked and the effect of phoria comes into play.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_04_cover_down-1898828.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_03_cover_closed-1898827.jpg

In order to determine just what the effects of phoria would be when using the ACOG TA-11 as an occluded-eye gunsight, I conducted a test comparing the accuracy and points of impact when shooting with the lens cover down (normal sighting) and the lens cover up (occluded-eye sighting.) Testing was conducted at a distance of 25 yards, the farthest distance that I would anticipate using the occluded eye-method of sighting.

Shooting off of sand bags, I zeroed the TA-11 for point of aim equals point of impact at 25 yards using the normal sighting method. I then fired a 10-shot group with the normal sighting method that formed a tidy group with an extreme spread of 0.56”.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_with_standard_sighting_labeled_01-1898829.jpg

Next, I placed the lens cover in the up position, transforming the ACOG into an occluded-eye gunsight. The left eye views the target, while the right eye views the reticle in the scope. The right eye is blocked (occluded) from seeing the target due to the lens cover. The impact of the initial shots using this method had such a large horizontal deviation to the left that they were off the targets that I originally was using. I had to change to a 24” wide target and aim at the far right side of the target to capture the impact of the rounds. The aiming point for this portion of the test was the numeral “7” on the target.

Using the occluded-eye method of sighting, I fired a 10-shot group. This group had an extreme spread of over 7” and the center of the group was 14” to the left of the aiming point!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acig_with_occluded_eye_sighting_measured-1898826.jpg

….

Uncas47
04-14-24, 18:29
Occluded-eye sighting also has a significant disadvantage of decreased precision and huge point-of-impact shifts due to phoria, depending upon the individual's eyes.

The Effects of Phoria When Using the ACOG as an Occluded-Eye Gunsight

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/trijicon_ta11_002-1898830.jpg

Phoria: the visual effect that occurs when one eye is blocked from seeing the same view of a target as the other eye; the blocked eye does not get the same sensory input as the other eye and can begin to wonder off, usually to one side or the other.

I installed a Progressive Machine and Tool flip-down front lens cover on a Trijicon TA-11 ACOG.. With the lens cover in the up position (blocking the view through the scope) the ACOG can function as a non-magnified occluded-eye gunsight; functioning more like a non-magnified red-dot sight, than a magnified scope. However, when the ACOG is functioning as an occluded-eye gunsight, the view of the target for the eye looking into the scope is blocked and the effect of phoria comes into play.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_04_cover_down-1898828.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_03_cover_closed-1898827.jpg

In order to determine just what the effects of phoria would be when using the ACOG TA-11 as an occluded-eye gunsight, I conducted a test comparing the accuracy and points of impact when shooting with the lens cover down (normal sighting) and the lens cover up (occluded-eye sighting.) Testing was conducted at a distance of 25 yards, the farthest distance that I would anticipate using the occluded eye-method of sighting.

Shooting off of sand bags, I zeroed the TA-11 for point of aim equals point of impact at 25 yards using the normal sighting method. I then fired a 10-shot group with the normal sighting method that formed a tidy group with an extreme spread of 0.56”.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acog_with_standard_sighting_labeled_01-1898829.jpg

Next, I placed the lens cover in the up position, transforming the ACOG into an occluded-eye gunsight. The left eye views the target, while the right eye views the reticle in the scope. The right eye is blocked (occluded) from seeing the target due to the lens cover. The impact of the initial shots using this method had such a large horizontal deviation to the left that they were off the targets that I originally was using. I had to change to a 24” wide target and aim at the far right side of the target to capture the impact of the rounds. The aiming point for this portion of the test was the numeral “7” on the target.

Using the occluded-eye method of sighting, I fired a 10-shot group. This group had an extreme spread of over 7” and the center of the group was 14” to the left of the aiming point!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/acig_with_occluded_eye_sighting_measured-1898826.jpg

….
Not my experience at all, I also don't have a 25 yd problem in my house. It's a specific application for me, not general usage. I also have a lot of time on the gun this way, it's not a one time event.

GTF425
04-14-24, 18:50
That has not been my experience at all in shoothouses. I'll put money to mouth and post targets from 25y on Friday, 4/19.

kerplode
04-14-24, 20:03

I've noticed this too. Doesn't make much sense to me, but what the hell do I know.

All my stuff has backups. #KidsTheseDays #BUIS4EVER #LowerThirdLifer

JediGuy
04-15-24, 18:01
On a 3-9x, phoria resulted in…I don’t remember, a several inches off at closer distance. I may have a post, but I can’t remember if I had my target like 10-15 yards out or pushed to 50.

Uncas47
04-15-24, 18:13
On a 3-9x, phoria resulted in…I don’t remember, a several inches off at closer distance. I may have a post, but I can’t remember if I had my target like 10-15 yards out or pushed to 50.
I only do it with an Aimpoint, to me it's a red dot only tool, to avoid chasing the brightness setting under varying light conditions. I would never recommend it for general shooting with other optics.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-16-24, 10:31

Where have you noticed, recreational shooting or during classes?

A couple guys I know have several rifles, not all of them are designated for self defense. It's not unusual to see them at the club with a magnified optic riding solo on the rifle.

My primary rifle has RDS and BUIS. Unlike some folks here describing a shattered optic making a standard co-witness setup unusable, I use a tall mount which allows for use of BUIS through the mount just under the optic. Of course an obstructed view through mount would present a similar situation.

Considering the minimal size, weight and cost of BUIS I don't see much downside, though I think a lot of folks mount BUIS on their rifle as ornaments. I haven't practiced with the Magpul Pro on my rifle since zeroing... so... uh...

kerplode
04-16-24, 10:36
Where have you noticed, recreational shooting or during classes?

In my experience: Reddit, Insta...Shit like that.

People shooting Reels not people shooting For Realz.

Some of them are loud about it too. They'll call you all sorts of names if you try to suggest that a BUIS isn't a waste of money. But like I said, what do I know...

DoubleW
04-16-24, 11:12
I have BUIS on all my rifles except for 2 that have LPVO’s. That is primarily because I have them mounted all the way to the rear. I know I could mount a rear sight in front but honestly I don’t care. Come to think of it, on my last tour in the beautiful nation of Iraq I had an ACOG on an M4 with no rear sight. Never was an issue and I never gave it a second thought.

Gunpartpicker
04-18-24, 17:22
Yeah, seems like a lot of builds on our site haven't been addingin buis. A few I've helped just been using them as range guns although most of the people who have been doing it though have a SHTF back-up. Unless it's just a range gun I would always have buis. Or at least have them at home.

GTF425
04-19-24, 13:28
That has not been my experience at all in shoothouses. I'll put money to mouth and post targets from 25y on Friday, 4/19.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?243623-Effect-on-POI-when-occluding-red-dot-sights&p=3152441#post3152441

markm
04-19-24, 13:32
though I think a lot of folks mount BUIS on their rifle as ornaments.

I have one like that. It's my weekend ACOG blaster. I found a Maetech rear site in my cupboard and put it on there under the COG even though it's highly unlikely I'd ever use it.

crosseyedshooter
04-22-24, 12:32
I just found out my eyes can’t focus on iron sights anymore, so maybe it’s growing old at the same time? I’m selling all my BUIS.:jester:

triggerjerk
04-22-24, 12:50
Just about there myself. That's why I soft sight pistol irons. Sad thing is I have an old Leup 4.5x14 varmint scope that is maxed at one end of focus range..... Would glasses really help? Nah