PDA

View Full Version : Sadly...This Is Real...Posted On IG by US Navy...

SteyrAUG
04-09-24, 22:50
https://i.imgur.com/smQh9kL.jpeg

You'll see it in a second or two.

Gabriel556
04-09-24, 22:55
The scope looks like a unique reverse optical model.

SteyrAUG
04-09-24, 22:57
The scope looks like a unique reverse optical model.

Bruce Willis Navy Seal model.

Coal Dragger
04-10-24, 04:54
I didn’t know HK was making optics.

mack7.62
04-10-24, 05:15
Bruce Willis Navy Seal model.

This brings me to tears.

pag23
04-10-24, 05:31
PSA rollmark on lower....lol

04-10-24, 05:45
What that Sailor needs is more overmatch. Quick, hand him a M7, and he’ll be able to hit saltwater with every shot.

Don’t worry, guys, we can buy our way out of this problem…we just need a gun with more recoil and more expensive ammo to yeet into the Gulf of Tadjour.

Sam
04-10-24, 06:09
He's using the Occluded Aiming System.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-10-24, 06:21
Safe
Semi
Full-retard

joedirt199
04-10-24, 06:42
Probably AI. The handguard looks crooked too. Like it is out of the delta ring. Zoom in and you will see it.

GTF425
04-10-24, 06:46
Probably AI. The handguard looks crooked too. Like it is out of the delta ring. Zoom in and you will see it.

The RAS wasn't properly seated. That's a common enough error that I saw a handful of times when newer guys fully disassembled their upper receivers for cleaning and couldn't figure out how to get the rail to sit flush again.

04-10-24, 07:48
The RAS wasn't properly seated. That's a common enough error that I saw a handful of times when newer guys fully disassembled their upper receivers for cleaning and couldn't figure out how to get the rail to sit flush again.Exactly. This is why cherry Joes shouldn’t have hex wrenches unsupervised near weapons.

I don’t think this one is AI, unfortunately. My social media nerd says the Navy posted this via official account, and then yanked it after the inevitable hazing commenced.

Someone with photo posting skills should post the XM250 pic so we can roast that one, too.

chuckman
04-10-24, 08:05
Awful pic, for so many reasons. And that is the boat's CO, too.

Diamondback
04-10-24, 08:07
But hey, the entire ship looks fabulous at mandatory All Hands Drag Night, and that's what's REALLY important, amirite?

Military Purposes:
1. Kill the bad guys.
2. Break their shit.
3. Maintain own personnel and gear in best possible condition to accomplish (1) and (2).
4. Make those who come home from (1) and (2) broken as whole as possible.
5. All else is bullshit.

markm
04-10-24, 08:41
Don’t worry, guys, we can buy our way out of this problem…we just need a gun with more recoil and more expensive ammo to yeet into the Gulf of Tadjour.

I've been saying this ever since 6.8 was so Massively successful as an undeveloped civilian round! :sarcastic:

Ned Christiansen
04-10-24, 09:42
Sooooo quick to judge, all of you.

Not having a range long enough to qual at the required distance is a common problem. I hear police departments all the time bemoaning this and they are constantly looking for range time on someone else's range where they can get the distance required. This is especially tough when we're talking quals at rifle distances. One solution seldom discussed, because it is so radical and yet so effective that you really only see it in use by the best of the best, is mount the scope backwards. Presto! Your 15' range is now a 50 yard, or even a 500 yard range, depending on the magnification of the scope.

Wish I coulda posted that nine days ago..... :-)

04-10-24, 10:07
Sooooo quick to judge, all of you.

Not having a range long enough to qual at the required distance is a common problem. I hear police departments all the time bemoaning this and they are constantly looking for range time on someone else's range where they can get the distance required. This is especially tough when we're talking quals at rifle distances. One solution seldom discussed, because it is so radical and yet so effective that you really only see it in use by the best of the best, is mount the scope backwards. Presto! Your 15' range is now a 50 yard, or even a 500 yard range, depending on the magnification of the scope.

Wish I coulda posted that nine days ago..... :-)
Given the chicken wing, selector switch position, and ****ed up RAS, I doubt that’s the case here.

Hank6046
04-10-24, 10:28
I love the Navy, but this is the whole reason we have a Marine Corps

pinzgauer
04-10-24, 11:37
The public comments have been brutal. This one is kind of on point though:71576

No disrespect to those who served, but when I hear that comment it's a bit infuriating. Especially from non-combat arms and especially from Navy and Air Force. Of which I have friends who are examples of this.

markm
04-10-24, 11:40
Bruh is burst/auto firing too.

triggerjerk
04-10-24, 11:56
Come on guys, that's how you keep the enemy at a distance!

chuckman
04-10-24, 12:01
And the Marines answered:

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1778076775710363736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1778076775710363736%7Ctwgr%5Ecc39656a5fd165577d4be929de8267f198a7d881%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fshadowspear.com%2Fthreads%2F34255%2Fpage-157

Hank6046
04-10-24, 14:33
And the Marines answered:

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/1778076775710363736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1778076775710363736%7Ctwgr%5Ecc39656a5fd165577d4be929de8267f198a7d881%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fshadowspear.com%2Fthreads%2F34255%2Fpage-157

Cool picture, but the USS Boxer is the reason I cringe a little every time someone brings up a cruise ship

markm
04-10-24, 17:11
This silly crap is being reported outside of gun freak and military circles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/us-navy-warship-commander-mocked-for-holding-rifle-with-scope-mounted-backward/vi-BB1lpi7m?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=1bea0bdd44ee492faace51c0dcaff248&ei=25

flenna
04-10-24, 17:59
This silly crap is being reported outside of gun freak and military circles.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/us-navy-warship-commander-mocked-for-holding-rifle-with-scope-mounted-backward/vi-BB1lpi7m?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=LCTS&cvid=1bea0bdd44ee492faace51c0dcaff248&ei=25

Gotta make sure the ChiComs know our Navy has completed weapons familiarization and DEI training and are ready to meet them on any ocean.

jsbhike
04-10-24, 19:06
Just part of being professionals.

https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/index.php?threads/dumb-gun-expert.19068/page-2

flenna
04-10-24, 19:11
Just part of being professionals.

https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/index.php?threads/dumb-gun-expert.19068/page-2

The backwards magazine in the MP5 always cracks me up.

chuckman
04-10-24, 19:14
Cool picture, but the USS Boxer is the reason I cringe a little every time someone brings up a cruise ship

Lol. Against every fiber of my being, my wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. A ship was the last place I wanted to be. But after about 3 days at sea and having gained 5 lb and being in a constant alcoholic buzz, I understood the allure. If only the Navy was like that.

I was never haze gray and underway, but I did a couple pumps.

ddbtoth
04-10-24, 19:59
I thought you were pointing out the supporting hand on tinkerbell’s shoulder.

titsonritz
04-10-24, 22:16
At least he’s fag compliant.

SteyrAUG
04-10-24, 23:29

Honestly, there is so much in that picture. Also wtf is up with the VFG all the way back to the rear? Might as well just grip the front of the mag well. I pride myself on being able to pretty much shoot "whatever" set up "however" but that really might throw me off.

As for the hand on the shoulder, obviously they are stacked up getting ready to make entry on the ocean.

flenna
04-11-24, 05:30
As for the hand on the shoulder, obviously they are stacked up getting ready to make entry on the ocean.

I am sure he is getting ready to make entry but not on the ocean.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-11-24, 13:11
I want to believe it's just a spoof, but then...

Commander in Chief of the Navy.

https://i.imgur.com/XPZp3iY.png

GTF425
04-11-24, 16:03
Someone with photo posting skills should post the XM250 pic so we can roast that one, too.

Is this the one?

https://i.imgur.com/oVmzsOz_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

04-11-24, 16:23
Is this the one?

https://i.imgur.com/oVmzsOz_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grandSure is….any old WSLs around to help this guy out lol?

In addition to the rather obvious freehanging belt*, dude is about 2 inches too short to ride the ride, so instead of bracing the bipod on the barricade, he ended up resting the gas block on it, perhaps being pushed into that after the first burst. And that tape switch is a bit nutty. For anyone that doesn’t already know, this is what an Army qual firing line looks like now (which is an improvement).

*It’s the cold weather testing center, so he may be trying to test the limits of belt pull in cold weather. It’s also possible, but much less likely that he’s testing POI shift from the barricade.

GTF425
04-11-24, 16:51
*It’s the cold weather testing center, so he may be trying to test the limits of belt pull in cold weather. It’s also possible, but much less likely that he’s testing POI shift from the barricade.

That is an impressively glass half-full interpretation.

*I had to Google it because there's close to a 0% chance I'll ever fire an XM250, but they have a 100rd nutsack available. Not sure why dude's free balling like that.

SteyrAUG
04-11-24, 17:33
That is an impressively glass half-full interpretation.

*I had to Google it because there's close to a 0% chance I'll ever fire an XM250, but they have a 100rd nutsack available. Not sure why dude's free balling like that.

Much as I want to hate on SIG and 6.8 nonsense, regular army is rolling a suppressed GPMG so it can't be all bad. Just hope it actually works as hyped.

Alpha-17
04-12-24, 08:51
Sure is….any old WSLs around to help this guy out lol?

In addition to the rather obvious freehanging belt*, dude is about 2 inches too short to ride the ride, so instead of bracing the bipod on the barricade, he ended up resting the gas block on it, perhaps being pushed into that after the first burst. And that tape switch is a bit nutty. For anyone that doesn’t already know, this is what an Army qual firing line looks like now (which is an improvement).

OK, we get it, you don't like the NGSW program. But how does this compare to the guy with his scope on backwards? Kid here is making the best of his situation, and is resting his gun on the barrier just like he should, assuming the course of fire dictated he was to stand. Belt hanging in the wind is not ideal, but did that multiple times with 249s and 240s, especially at ranges where they just handed out belts of ammo and didn't give folks time to fill a nut sack.

If you want to gig him anything, I'd say his stance could be a bit better and more aggressive. Lean into the weapon, and really use your own body weight to help control recoil.

04-13-24, 08:08
OK, we get it, you don't like the NGSW program. But how does this compare to the guy with his scope on backwards? Kid here is making the best of his situation, and is resting his gun on the barrier just like he should, assuming the course of fire dictated he was to stand. Belt hanging in the wind is not ideal, but did that multiple times with 249s and 240s, especially at ranges where they just handed out belts of ammo and didn't give folks time to fill a nut sack.

If you want to gig him anything, I'd say his stance could be a bit better and more aggressive. Lean into the weapon, and really use your own body weight to help control recoil.First of all, I’m a fan of the XM250 in many ways. A machinegun that can bridge the gap between a Mk46 and a 240, while having an awesome effective range, potentially, is a big deal. There are some claims about it that raise my skeptical eyebrow but not my gullible one, but I don’t view it the same way as I view the rifle part of the program.

I don’t blame the dude in the picture, so much as I’m using it as an example of a (temporary, I hope) training issue that can’t be solved by buying shit. A lot of the coolest shit in the galaxy is in that picture (both pictures, really), including some very expensive stuff, and presumably an excellent Soldier/NCO who wants to be the best at his job. Hence being assigned to a testing center. Yet, there are subtle elements bordering on tricks of the trade that are being poorly executed. Some of which I’m recontextualizing for the purpose of discussion of improving capability via training vs purchasing.

There’s no point in nitpicking me about me nitpicking the freehanging belt, because as I pointed out it is in environmental testing.

What struck me most in the boat picture wasn’t that the gun was all dicked up; it was that a commanding officer was shooting a dicked up gun on auto at saltwater while the PAO is taking cool-guy pics. Might as well have been shooting blanks. And if it’s where I think it is, there are proper ranges nearby as well as a place to park the boat, but that would require stepping on dirt.

Wake27
04-13-24, 14:10
As horrible as this image is, let’s be real. That gun is a force pro measure while they’re in port and the CO is literally the last person on that ship that would be using it. Yes, it’s trash that he is so poorly trained to not realize many of the issues but the bigger problem is the person that put it together like that, which I’ll bet a whole month of my base pay that it wasn’t him and then the other people that must’ve seen it and said nothing.

The Navy needs to be ridiculed for their clueless social media managers and armorers, sure. They should also get a bit for any random sailor not knowing enough to know what’s wrong or right in this circumstance. But they’ve been pretty effective at blasting shit out of the sky and sea over the last several months, which is far more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wake27
04-13-24, 14:15
The public comments have been brutal. This one is kind of on point though:71576

No disrespect to those who served, but when I hear that comment it's a bit infuriating. Especially from non-combat arms and especially from Navy and Air Force. Of which I have friends who are examples of this.

No part of mil service inherently ordains relevant knowledge on the freedoms of American citizens established by our founding documents, to include every specialty and branch. It’s doesn’t make any of us more qualified to say shit about it, including McChrystal. If anyone is offended by that notion, they’re an even bigger idiot than they were when simply making the statement in that meme.

Wake27
04-13-24, 14:17

Bracing or being prepared to brace a new shooter using auto for the first time isn’t uncommon.

CrowCommand
04-13-24, 17:43
Give em a break! The target was really small.

SteyrAUG
04-13-24, 18:19
As horrible as this image is, let’s be real. That gun is a force pro measure while they’re in port and the CO is literally the last person on that ship that would be using it. Yes, it’s trash that he is so poorly trained to not realize many of the issues but the bigger problem is the person that put it together like that, which I’ll bet a whole month of my base pay that it wasn’t him and then the other people that must’ve seen it and said nothing.

The Navy needs to be ridiculed for their clueless social media managers and armorers, sure. They should also get a bit for any random sailor not knowing enough to know what’s wrong or right in this circumstance. But they’ve been pretty effective at blasting shit out of the sky and sea over the last several months, which is far more important.

I don't think anyone, especially here, is criticizing the effectiveness of the Navy as a whole. I think it's mostly this guy, whoever set up that rifle in the first place and everyone standing around KNOWING it might be a photo op that would give the navy a black eye but said NOTHING because nobody wanted to embarrass a senior rank or be the one to say "Pardon me sir, you are standing in shit."

Also this could have happened to almost any branch of the military. And couldn't agree more that whoever is in charge of the social media for the Navy NEEDS to be educated enough about "most things" that they prevent this kind of shit from happening in the first place. The Marines were also dead on when they adopted the "Every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman" mindset and required everyone to qualify once a year with a rifle.

SteyrAUG
04-13-24, 18:20
Bracing or being prepared to brace a new shooter using auto for the first time isn’t uncommon.

Yep, I've done it. You only need to see video of or a live example of full auto getting away from somebody once.

chuckman
04-13-24, 19:54

The CO probably last actually held a M4 in his commissioning program. The irony being he's got the keys to enough firepower to destroy an entire city, but social media will kill him over the M4. Totally agree it's the social media folks who deserve the wrath, not him.

SteyrAUG
04-13-24, 20:55
The CO probably last actually held a M4 in his commissioning program. The irony being he's got the keys to enough firepower to destroy an entire city, but social media will kill him over the M4. Totally agree it's the social media folks who deserve the wrath, not him.

I don't think most had any idea he was actually commander of the entire boat. I know Navy ranks still baffle me if I don't brush up because birds are Captains and I keep thinking that is just a glorified lieutenant.

Averageman
04-13-24, 23:20
Who ever checked this rifle out of the Arms Room and handed it to this Guy certainly didn't like him very much did he?
You don't do that silly stuff to a Commander you like.

We used to have a Commander who worked us everyday, Saturday and even Sunday's. He would come down on Sunday after Church and walk the line and close us out in the Motorpool. He's in his Church Suit and we're in Coverall's, The Troops HATED that guy.
About 1 minute before a big Tank inspection by the CO, my Driver and Gunner are pissing in the drip pans. I'm so angry I'm about to go blind and these guys keep saying, "Just Watch."
Sure enough the inspection goes great, but when he Commander gets to the rear of the Tank, he decides to stick his fingers in the piss in the drip pan trying to figure out where that "Leak" came from. My Crew were watching in great horror as the Captain even smelled his fingers.
And that's the Life of an E-5 Tank Commander.
You don't do that stuff to a Commander you like.

Coal Dragger
04-14-24, 02:13
LOL.

I think you’re right Averageman.

This is what enlisted do to get back at douchebag officers. Frankly a lot of douchebag officers have that and worse coming to them.

chuckman
04-14-24, 07:38
I dunno. I don't think the risk of punishment is worth the reward of screwing with an officer on social media. Occam's Razor and all, probably people not paying attention.

Averageman
04-14-24, 08:31
I dunno. I don't think the risk of punishment is worth the reward of screwing with an officer on social media. Occam's Razor and all, probably people not paying attention.

Never underestimate the E-4 Mafia.

chuckman
04-14-24, 08:59
Never underestimate the E-4 Mafia.

I was njp'd, twice, for relatively small things. Something like this encroaches on ucmj violations, and those are real consequences.

sidewaysil80
04-14-24, 09:04
so instead of bracing the bipod on the barricade, he ended up resting the gas block on it

Maybe I’m misreading your critique, are you suggesting he shoot off the bipod rather then what he appears to be doing which is using it as a contact point with the barricade allowing him to presumably lean his weight forward into the weapon and barricade? That would provide much more support then simply using the bipods traditionally off that barricade.

Averageman
04-14-24, 10:06
I was njp'd, twice, for relatively small things. Something like this encroaches on ucmj violations, and those are real consequences.

Honestly, in a case like this, it might be best for the Officer not to blow his cool and to learn a lesson from this.
Pointing the finger at the exact Knucklehead might be less important than understanding "My Men think I'm a dick and are out to "F" me, what can I do to be a better Man and Officer to stop this frpo, happening?" Thus avoiding this ever happening again and getting a better feeling of another side of Leadership.

I could tell you War Stories for a week about how young Enlisted and Junior NCO's have gotten some really good "Payback".
I have found it entertaining.

chuckman
04-14-24, 10:43
Honestly, in a case like this, it might be best for the Officer not to blow his cool and to learn a lesson from this.
Pointing the finger at the exact Knucklehead might be less important than understanding "My Men think I'm a dick and are out to "F" me, what can I do to be a better Man and Officer to stop this frpo, happening?" Thus avoiding this ever happening again and getting a better feeling of another side of Leadership.

I could tell you War Stories for a week about how young Enlisted and Junior NCO's have gotten some really good "Payback".

We're assuming the CO is a prick and this was done on purpose. Or the CO is a prick and it was an accident. Maybe he's a well-liked CO. In any case I think the navy's social media 'department' is not under his purview as that pic was retracted 10 minutes after it was posted.

Coal Dragger
04-14-24, 13:08

I’ve known PLENTY of E3’s and E4’s who strait up don’t give three shits about some petty punishment who would have pulled a joke like that. They’re not making the .mil a career and could care less about an article 15 for something like making their idiot CO look like an idiot.

Striker6
04-14-24, 13:28
I’m less concerned of who’s fault it was that the scope was mounted backwards and more concerned that the CO didn’t realize nor understand that it was when he was sending rounds “down range”.

Averageman
04-14-24, 14:17
I’ve known PLENTY of E3’s and E4’s who strait up don’t give three shits about some petty punishment who would have pulled a joke like that. They’re not making the .mil a career and could care less about an article 15 for something like making their idiot CO look like an idiot.

We had a guy come up hot on a piss test and he had 9 days left in the Army.
Because the guy was on the Commanders Tank, the Commander lost his mind. Top tells the Commander, "You can do whatever you like, but really, just ignore it and let him go home." by the time anyone would say anything, the Guy would be home in the States.
Oh Hell No, 9 Days Restriction and Extra Duty until he went back to the States. His extra duty was repainting the Commanders Tank.
"
So when you traversed the Turret over the front of the Tank, in Big Bold Camoflage letters was the word "DICK !"

chuckman
04-14-24, 15:08
I’m less concerned of who’s fault it was that the scope was mounted backwards and more concerned that the CO didn’t realize nor understand that it was when he was sending rounds “down range”.

Why should the CO have known (aside from looking through it and saying 'that ain't right')?

Diamondback
04-14-24, 16:58

Not necessarily only Juniors... granted the 1960s was a different time and military, but Grandpa retired as an E-7 and Superintendent of a squadron machine shop, and once told me that his approach to dealing with meddling airmen who messed with crap just for the sake of messing with it in HIS shop would find the offender ordered to stand at attention next to a vise on an out-of-the-way workbench, with their hands clamped in the vise* and ordered to remain standing thus until ordered otherwise by either himself or the First Shirt.
*Not hard enough to injure, just enough to barely immobilize the offending hand - more a symbolic gesture than a physical punishment, trying to remind them that as he once told me "everything around us in this shop is something that the SECOND you don't respect it it CAN and WILL kill you."

Caduceus
04-17-24, 13:22
I don't think most had any idea he was actually commander of the entire boat. I know Navy ranks still baffle me if I don't brush up because birds are Captains and I keep thinking that is just a glorified lieutenant.

It's not the rank of Captain, it's the position that of ship captain. The little circle patch on his right breast pocket denotes the CO (pretty much all commissioned Navy units, AFAIK).

As for the folks saying he should know better- I never handled a rifle in OIS. Not the same commissioning program he probably went through, however.... but it's possible he didn't shoot a rifle before.

Still, looking through the scope should have been a clue. Even if it's just to get his eyes checked.