PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch added to new cars?

WillBrink
04-16-24, 07:42
Via John Stossel

The government may soon be able to shut down your car. Biden’s $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill includes a kill switch for new cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29AaHnzGGM

04-16-24, 07:46
That’s been possible since onstar.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-16-24, 08:22
Clipped from OP vid. That's way over the top Big Brother. No thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/0ALRr9R.png

markm
04-16-24, 08:31
It's all worth it if you don't like Trump! Forget freedom when you can be mad at a guy who actually wants to improve America.

.45fan
04-16-24, 09:07
Clipped from OP vid. That's way over the top Big Brother. No thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/0ALRr9R.pngI wonder how long it will take for ecm "repair" to be available to remove that.

georgeib
04-16-24, 09:14
I wonder how long it will take for ecm "repair" to be available to remove that.

It will vary by vehicle, and demand. Vehicles that are often tuned for more power will likely have that option made available in the aftermarket fairly quickly, as there is a lot of demand to have their ECU's software reverse engineered. On most vehicles, however, it is unlikely to ever happen.

.45fan
04-16-24, 09:17
It will vary by vehicle, and demand. Vehicles that are often tuned for more power will likely have that option made available in the aftermarket fairly quickly, as there is a lot of demand to have their ECU's software reverse engineered. On most vehicles, however, it is unlikely to ever happen.That is sad.

georgeib
04-16-24, 09:52
That is sad.

Yeah, it really is. It's overall sad watching the decline of the principles that made America, and this is just another area where autonomous liberty is being eroded by the very people tasked with protecting it.

glocktogo
04-16-24, 10:22
It will vary by vehicle, and demand. Vehicles that are often tuned for more power will likely have that option made available in the aftermarket fairly quickly, as there is a lot of demand to have their ECU's software reverse engineered. On most vehicles, however, it is unlikely to ever happen.

Unfortunately, companies do this to make a profit. That puts them under heavy regulation by the feds. They've been cracking down hard on aftermarket companies in recent years. About the only way you could do it without running afoul of Big Brother, is to post the code online for free as 1st Amendment protected speech. :(

ABNAK
04-16-24, 10:31
While I am hardly an expert in these things, I suspect it'll be "hard-wired" into the system and any attempt to deactivate will make the vehicle inoperable.

My wife and I have a 2023 Hyundai Elantra as a work and run-around car. It has that damn reminder thing that bleeps if you go left of center (or too close to the line) or to the right of the edge line. It'll flash "Consider taking a break" with a cup of coffee pictured. It doesn't flash that warning until it's happened a couple of times. I don't drive around drunk but I might swerve a tad screwing with a burger or such. I can see exactly how that technology would work though......:rolleyes:

ap1220
04-16-24, 13:18
Don’t forget the part about having a new type of speed governor installed( starts at 2:13), that won’t let you go past 10mph over the limit, and would need to engage a button if you had to dodge something or any other type of emergency scenario. Probably more about “climate saving” and control your driving and you from driving. “I’m sorry Dave, you cannot travel anywhere today because you have surpassed your allowed carbon footprint for this week. Why don’t you walk, bike, or utilize public transportation instead.”

ChattanoogaPhil
04-16-24, 13:45
Speed limiters… no thanks.

That said, last time I drove to Atlanta I was doing 80+ in the slow lane to keep from getting run over! It would be a more relaxing drive if folks slowed down just a bit.

agr1279
04-16-24, 16:31

There is a huge difference. OnStar is a private corporation. It is not easy to get the location info from them when you need it. It has helped getting stolen vehicle back. The biggest factor is the owner a subscriber to the system. If they aren’t it is impossible for them. No big brother, f that crap. It might make it worth it to buy a new vehicle before all this crap kicks in.

Daniel

Diamondback
04-16-24, 17:12
This was part of one of those Green Jobs bullshit laws that Piglosi and Schumbag passed for Biden to sign as part of the war on quality-of-life. Old news, lots of us who were switched on tried to raise alarms at the time, but the sheeple just kept bleating and chewing their little patches of grass.

SteyrAUG
04-16-24, 19:11

And I best most cars rolled out in the last 10 years already have it. They are talking about a version that is expanded to monitor your activity.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-16-24, 19:53
If you’re driving well enough that the system doesn’t detect a problem, it that a defense for driving while over the BAC limit?

ABNAK
04-16-24, 20:16
If you’re driving well enough that the system doesn’t detect a problem, it that a defense for driving while over the BAC limit?

How much you wanna bet the answer to that is a resounding NO!?

titsonritz
04-16-24, 20:35
I like the old classics even more.

glocktogo
04-16-24, 20:42
So an interesting question about these newly mandated systems, if you refuse to sign the terms of acceptance when you go to buy a vehicle so equipped, does that mean they can’t sell it to you! :confused:

SteyrAUG
04-16-24, 21:04
So an interesting question about these newly mandated systems, if you refuse to sign the terms of acceptance when you go to buy a vehicle so equipped, does that mean they can’t sell it to you! :confused:

I imagine it's like those "energy efficient" washing machines that work so well. It will be the only thing available and it won't work without them.

Glad I have my prebans.

Jellybean
04-16-24, 22:51
.... Probably more about “climate saving” and control your driving and you from driving. “I’m sorry Dave, you cannot travel anywhere today because you have surpassed your allowed carbon footprint for this week. Why don’t you walk, bike, or utilize public transportation instead.”

And like HAL9000, the solution is the same...

I just saw a video today that I'll try to find again, where a guy had his car serviced, it had to update the nav/entertainment/nanny system, and when he turned the car on the next day, it asked him to 'accept the terms of service".
Well, he decided to read them, and about 30 pages or so in, it had some stuff about consenting to the use of activating geo-fencing and geo-location. I'm heavily paraphrasing there was more to it than that, but the point was, it appears these nav systems are also able to tie into a system that can literally stop you from driving into certain areas...

glocktogo
04-17-24, 16:18
And like HAL9000, the solution is the same...

I just saw a video today that I'll try to find again, where a guy had his car serviced, it had to update the nav/entertainment/nanny system, and when he turned the car on the next day, it asked him to 'accept the terms of service".
Well, he decided to read them, and about 30 pages or so in, it had some stuff about consenting to the use of activating geo-fencing and geo-location. I'm heavily paraphrasing there was more to it than that, but the point was, it appears these nav systems are also able to tie into a system that can literally stop you from driving into certain areas...

Did he refuse to consent? Someone needs to so we know where it goes from there!

Sokoloka
04-17-24, 17:38
I like the old classics even more.

This is one of the many reasons I have a bunch of old trucks.

Jellybean
04-17-24, 17:41
Did he refuse to consent? Someone needs to so we know where it goes from there!

He took the car back to the dealer.
Allegedly.... this is an EV thing, with apparently newer vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DmgjTfwD4

MegademiC
04-17-24, 21:18
While I am hardly an expert in these things, I suspect it'll be "hard-wired" into the system and any attempt to deactivate will make the vehicle inoperable.

My wife and I have a 2023 Hyundai Elantra as a work and run-around car. It has that damn reminder thing that bleeps if you go left of center (or too close to the line) or to the right of the edge line. It'll flash "Consider taking a break" with a cup of coffee pictured. It doesn't flash that warning until it's happened a couple of times. I don't drive around drunk but I might swerve a tad screwing with a burger or such. I can see exactly how that technology would work though......:rolleyes:

I believe ecu mods can bypass all that. People will always be turning current cars into track cars.

Averageman
04-18-24, 02:14
I believe ecu mods can bypass all that. People will always be turning current cars into track cars.

It would I imagine to be pretty easy to accomplish actually.