PDA

View Full Version : Help in Selection

BVickery
01-08-09, 17:13
I have narrowed down which handgun I will be getting for CCW. My final choice will be made after I shoot them at a local range that has some for rental.

My 2 choices are Glock 21sf or a M&P 45.

I am not looking for which is better etc, but rather, this handgun is very much my first purchase with CCW in mind and would like some feedback on WHAT I should notice in picking the gun as well what to look for when I do fire it on the range. I can shoot any handgun pretty well if under 'normal' conditions.

For example, should I really fret over the width of the gun or how much barrel rise there is etc?

My wife will be eventually getting hers and here the thinking of petite women should pretty much carry wheelguns. I read Grant's posting in the Shotgun thread about how this one girl was able to manipulate the glock with ease. Should I do the same? IE let her choose the gun based on her ease of manipulating such things as light etc? And then put her on a strength regime to help in racking the slide?

Thanks in advance to all who chime in.

Brian

ToddG
01-08-09, 19:39
Step 1: Shoot both guns before making a decision. You're doing that. Smart.

Step 2: Think about how you're actually going to carry the gun. Is something the size of the G21 or M&P45 practical for you to carry concealed given your location, mode of dress, etc.? Remember, you want to buy a gun that is small enough that you will always carry it. If you get something a little too big because you think it's a better shooter then invariably you'll end up with the perfect gun at home in the safe rather than an acceptable gun on your belt when you need it.

Step 3: Yes, little differences in size make a difference in terms of concealability. But little differences make little differences. Whether the extra thickness or whatever will push a particular gun past your comfort/concealment threshold is impossible for someone else to judge. I know tiny guys who conceal full size guns easily, and big guys who don't feel comfortable trying to conceal anything bigger than a small compact.

Step 4: Let your wife choose her own gun. She needs to be comfortable with it, confident in her ability to use it, and serious about choosing one she'll carry regularly. Don't go in with any preconceived notions about what will be best for her. She may take to something completely different than what you've got in mind. As long as she buys a quality brand & model, I say give her free reign.

Hope this helps.

BVickery
01-08-09, 21:04
It does a lot. I'm in FL and usually wear baggy/loose fitting clothes as much as I can (prefer it that way) and will be moving to PA/more northern states in a little over a year.

As far as the wife goes, she REALLY looks at me for some input since she is NOT heavily in shooting (she loves it). I mean, she thinks the DE .50 is kick ass gun, but she only weighs about 100lbs soaking wet right now. But I get the gist of your meaning and will let her pick what she wants and if I think its a bit to much then would make a comment as much.

seang
01-08-09, 21:44
Like Todd said, you really want to look at what you will actually carry as part of your decision. What do you wear in the summer, winter.? Are you planning on wearing an inside the waistband holster or outside?

I wear a IWB holster during the winter and summer. It can be hard to conceal a glock 22 in the summer, which is what I usually carry. In the summer I wear a white t-shirt under a polo. I can conceal a G22 under it pretty well, but someone who knows what they are looking for would certainly be able to tell. I try to get my shirts a little larger to prevent the obvious print. If you are going to carry IWB, you want to make sure your pants also leave enough room to allow the gun to fit in your waist comfortably. I recently ordered a Fist IWB holster for my j-frame so I won't have problems with my holster printing as much in the summer.

I don't find outside the waistband holsters very practical for CCW, but that's just me. They are going to print much more than IWB, but will most likely be more comfortable.

Good luck!

SloaneRanger
01-08-09, 22:31
Listen to the two previous posters. They're dead right. I had a G22 & a G23 and hated carrying either concealed. I'm 6'3" @ 230lbs. Just felt uncomfortable. It was always digging into me when I'd sit down or was driving. Tried SOB and appendix. It wasn't just the size. Load up a full mag in that G21 or M&P45 and you'll add half again or more to it's weight empty. May have just been that I had crappy holsters but I would always not have them. Got a stainless ppk in .380 and love it. I can wear it with board shorts.
Yeah it's a little gun and little bullet but as we all know the best gun to have in a gunfight is the one you've got- not the one you should have had. A badass .45acp or .50cal hand cannon in the truck doesn't help you when you can't get to it.
While the ppk may not be popular with many the point is do what Todd said and be realistic. Ask yourself 'will I dilligently carry this or will it be an embuggerance that will stay at home or in the truck'. I have a different gun for CCW than what I have at home or when I'm out in the wilderness hunting.
There are many who will dilligently carry a full size pistol no problems. I am not one of those.

BVickery
01-08-09, 22:52
I am taking what everyone has said here as well as from some other threads. Going to take a serious look at 9mm guns as well and look at a compact version. I had a Sig P232 and though I loved the gun, it was rather small in my hands, though may pick up a .380 or something along the lines of a Kahr for summer carry.

I wear very loose fitting shirts and when I bought my last few pairs of jeans actually went up 1 size for CCW reasons.

I really appreciate ALL the feedback I am getting and will look at the 9mm as well as .40 S&W and not just the .45 ACP.

seang
01-09-09, 06:38
With the right clothing you can conceal the M&P 45 and the Glock 21. I'm not suggesting that those won't work for you, but they will just be harder to conceal. Plenty of people do it though.

rob_s
01-09-09, 07:28
Both of those guns are big for Florida carry. Which isn't to say that you can't do it, it's just that they are less than ideal IMHO.

I find it easier to conceal a fullsize 1911 than I do a Glock 26, but I'm very thin and anything wide on my belt prints easily.

As Todd mentioned, whatever you think you might choose, shoot it first and see just how natural it is for you. You can overcome unnatural things (look at all the Glock shooters in the world! :p ) but a gun that fits you well will be easier to learn and improve on.

Palmguy
01-09-09, 07:52
I'll echo that both of those seem a bit big for FL carry. The G19-sized M&P45c and the smaller caliber M&P compacts are significantly easier to carry IMO.

Definitely try before you buy, if at all possible.

BVickery
01-09-09, 09:15
Why I am looking at the compacts as well now. This being my 1st CCW weapon and how a lot of people mention the upkeep needed for a 1911 in regards to CCW I may go with a Glock or S&W.

gtmtnbiker98
01-09-09, 09:54
Look at the M&P 45c and the Glock 30 when you head to the range to try out the others. They are both much easier to carry than the FS G21 and M&P 45 and both of these are large pistols.

BVickery
01-09-09, 10:03
Look at the M&P 45c and the Glock 30 when you head to the range to try out the others. They are both much easier to carry than the FS G21 and M&P 45 and both of these are large pistols.

I don't think they have the S&W 45c yet for rental, and not 100% sure on the Glock 30, but when I did handle the G30 in my hands at looking at other .45 ACP handguns didn't like the feel of it in my hands.

You need to know I am over 6'7 and rather large stature. I have pretty big hands, even for a man of my size.

Again, will see what they have for rental at the range and go from there.

ToddG
01-09-09, 10:59
If you have large hands, at least on the S&W side you could look at the M&P45 mid-size. It has a full length frame (10rd mag) but a shorter slide & barrel. Most folks who've handled both it and the full-size M&P45 actually prefer the mid length in terms of balance, etc.

Someone your size can easily conceal anything you want to. However, holster selection is going to become the real issue. A really good holster makes a huge gun disappear even on a short & thin guy. I know plenty of folks who would struggle to claim they're 5'6" who carry full size Glocks, M&Ps, or 1911's year round.

M4arc
01-09-09, 11:22
I don't think they have the S&W 45c yet for rental, and not 100% sure on the Glock 30, but when I did handle the G30 in my hands at looking at other .45 ACP handguns didn't like the feel of it in my hands.

You need to know I am over 6'7 and rather large stature. I have pretty big hands, even for a man of my size.

Again, will see what they have for rental at the range and go from there.

I'm 5'5" & 125lbs and I can easily conceal a full size 1911 in a Milt Sparks VMII holster. I've also successfully carried a full size M&P in a CCC Looper but it does take a little more thought for a guy of my size. My standard carry is a G19 in either a VMII or Looper so you should be able to carry just about anything mentioned in this thread.

With a good belt, a great holster and a guy of your size you shouldn't have much trouble carrying a full size handgun.

markm
01-09-09, 11:33
When picking a pistol, always use the C-cup Titty method.

gtmtnbiker98
01-09-09, 12:16
When picking a pistol, always use the C-cup Titty method.

???, I don't understand that one.

M4arc
01-09-09, 12:24
???, I don't understand that one.

:D

It was in reference to a thread where people were discussing how good a handgun felt in their hand. markm made a comment along the lines that you shouldn't necessarily pick a handgun that feels like a C cup does in your hand.

It was very clever and I should have save the quote in my signature line :)

markm
01-09-09, 12:41
Actually I was saying that I don't care how a gun feels in my hand....

Unless they make one that feels like a C-cup titty. At that point, I'll buy a gun based on feelings. :p

gtmtnbiker98
01-09-09, 12:55
Understood, where can I get a pistol that feels like that????

SSGN_Doc
01-09-09, 14:02
Understood, where can I get a pistol that feels like that????

Don't know, but if you find one pass the info. I have found some guns that were so nice that they would be perfect if they only had tits.

SSGN_Doc
01-09-09, 14:13
To the OP.

I have been carrying just north of the Fl border for almost three years. I have found that larger guns require me to dress around the gun, especially in the summer. Printing through light weigh clothing is an issue as well as just covering the weapon. Baggy helps, but some clothing has some "memory" and getting out of a car in hot humid weather can leave a pretty recognizable impression in a cotton shirt.

I have a Glock 19 that is pretty easy to CC year round. This winter has sucked, and been pretty warm around here. I really hot weather I down size to a .380 or my Glock 26. I'm adding a S&W J frame airweight to the concealed carry battery.

Up north a 1911 sized pistol should not be a problem in the winter. but a mid-size or small framed weapon may be preferable.

Also consider carry methods. My prefered place to CC is inside the waistband at the 4 o'clock position right behind my hip. With a small pistol pocket carry in a jacket is a good option, or in a front pocket of baggy pants/shorts.

I'll add that if you have the option let your significant other find a pistol she likes, and is comfortable shooting.

If your just down the road in Jax then the guys at Gun Gallery should be able to help you out. They have a pretty good selection of rental guns in most size ranges and platforms, to be able to make an informed choice before you lay down good money on a pistol that just won't work for your needs.

BVickery
01-09-09, 14:55
To the OP.

I have been carrying just north of the Fl border for almost three years. I have found that larger guns require me to dress around the gun, especially in the summer. Printing through light weigh clothing is an issue as well as just covering the weapon. Baggy helps, but some clothing has some "memory" and getting out of a car in hot humid weather can leave a pretty recognizable impression in a cotton shirt.

I have a Glock 19 that is pretty easy to CC year round. This winter has sucked, and been pretty warm around here. I really hot weather I down size to a .380 or my Glock 26. I'm adding a S&W J frame airweight to the concealed carry battery.

Up north a 1911 sized pistol should not be a problem in the winter. but a mid-size or small framed weapon may be preferable.

Also consider carry methods. My prefered place to CC is inside the waistband at the 4 o'clock position right behind my hip. With a small pistol pocket carry in a jacket is a good option, or in a front pocket of baggy pants/shorts.

I'll add that if you have the option let your significant other find a pistol she likes, and is comfortable shooting.

If your just down the road in Jax then the guys at Gun Gallery should be able to help you out. They have a pretty good selection of rental guns in most size ranges and platforms, to be able to make an informed choice before you lay down good money on a pistol that just won't work for your needs.

thats where I've been looking. Stopped in today and saw they had a lot of the pistols mentioned here for the most part available for rent for the range.

As for not liking subcompact its a mental issue. But for something like the Glock 30 or such would not be a problem.

Again, thanks for all the help and feedback.

Vendetta
01-09-09, 15:33
I have both a Glock 19 and 26, both are fairly easy to conceal. I prefer the 19. I would agree with what has been said by a few others, the 21 and the full size Smith .45 seem to be a little large for carry all the time.

bundoc
01-10-09, 12:57
I agree with Mark, picking up a good belt and holster combo really made carrying a Sig classic easier.

I am 5'8 at 145 and mainly carry my 228 in a M.T.A.C holster on a beltman horsehide. I usually wear Levis 501 jeans which are fairly fitting along with fitted polo's and have no problem with major printing (general public rarely notice if ever). I say just choose the gun you shoot better with.

Carry always and good luck.