PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Proposed Bill S.3589

sadmin
04-29-24, 11:06
I dont know a ton about Markey or how much weight he carries...but I dont love the sound of this if it starts moving forward / or / why it was drafted in the first place.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/senate-bill/3589/text

Excerpt:
§ 2742. Unauthorized private paramilitary activity
“(a) Offense.—It shall be unlawful to knowingly, in a circumstance described in subsection (b), while acting as part of or on behalf of a private paramilitary organization and armed with a firearm, explosive or incendiary device, or other dangerous weapon—

“(1) publically patrol, drill, or engage in techniques capable of causing bodily injury or death;

“(2) interfere with, interrupt, or attempt to interfere with or interrupt government operations or a government proceeding;

“(3) interfere with or intimidate another person in that person's exercise of any right under the Constitution of the United States;

“(4) assume the functions of a law enforcement officer, peace officer, or public official, whether or not acting under color of law, and thereby assert authority or purport to assert authority over another person without the consent of that person; or

“(5) train to engage in any activity described in paragraphs (1) through (4).

SomeOtherGuy
04-29-24, 11:30
This definition is important:

PRIVATE PARAMILITARY ORGANIZATION.—The term ‘private paramilitary organization’ means any group of 3 or more persons associating under a command structure for the purpose of functioning in public or training to function in public as a combat, combat support, law enforcement, or security services unit.

Anyway, looks like a new law (still only proposed) to selectively persecute and imprison people with un-approved politics (anyone right of AOC), while not ever being applied to blatant criminals with the preferred politics (like Antifa, New Black Panthers).

If you had morally pure and wise prosecutors, immune to politics, the proposed law would still have a lot of problems but probably wouldn't used against M4C readers. But knowing the current level of lawfare, this is guaranteed to be used to harass ordinary people with no criminal intent.

I would like to say that the 2024 election is critical and we should all vote harder, but after the last 3 major elections, I'm skeptical of whether voting harder will be enough.

Diamondback
04-29-24, 12:11
It's purpose designed to shut down ranges, schools like Gunsite and Thunder Ranch and instructors like Mas Ayoob, the late Ray Chapman, etc. IraqGunz would prolly be in the crosshairs too.

Also, this is about prohibiting Neighborhood Watch programs so they can directly send future George Zimmermans and Kyle Rittenhouses direct to Camp PMITA.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-29-24, 14:46
In this age of ever increasing virtue signalling around guns, this has to take the cake. I actually hope it passes. A circuit split is almost guaranteed, and SCOTUS questioning on it by Thomas would be EPIC.

How to cement that gun control is about control…

Averageman
04-29-24, 15:51
This definition is important:

PRIVATE PARAMILITARY ORGANIZATION.—The term ‘private paramilitary organization’ means any group of 3 or more persons associating under a command structure for the purpose of functioning in public or training to function in public as a combat, combat support, law enforcement, or security services unit.

Anyway, looks like a new law (still only proposed) to selectively persecute and imprison people with un-approved politics (anyone right of AOC), while not ever being applied to blatant criminals with the preferred politics (like Antifa, New Black Panthers).

If you had morally pure and wise prosecutors, immune to politics, the proposed law would still have a lot of problems but probably wouldn't used against M4C readers. But knowing the current level of lawfare, this is guaranteed to be used to harass ordinary people with no criminal intent.

I would like to say that the 2024 election is critical and we should all vote harder, but after the last 3 major elections, I'm skeptical of whether voting harder will be enough.

Hmmm keeping us rural White Folks in check is important aint it?
So if I take my Sons out shooting does this qualify, or can you make the vagueness of terms entrap anyone under any circumstances?

CrowCommand
04-29-24, 16:24
Maybe they should enforce the laws on the books, instead of making more unintelligible BS

Artos
04-29-24, 17:55
Wouldn't this bill green light cleaning up all the pro hamas crap at the campuses?? :-/

Jellybean
04-29-24, 18:45
I can't wait to see them try to enforce this...

Red*Lion
04-29-24, 18:46
My thoughts are that they can shove it up their arses.

flenna
04-29-24, 18:49
Nevermind

flenna
04-29-24, 18:52
Nevermind

ABNAK
04-30-24, 08:37
This is a lead-up to their concern over this coming November. They know damn well that their futures hang in the balance. The cheating will be epic and obvious (like it wasn't before!) and they know the pushback could get violent. When their minions get let loose this type of BS will be used to ensnare people trying to defend their homes and businesses......it will NEVER be used against the agents of the Left.

Alpha-17
04-30-24, 09:23
If you're worried about them banning organization and training, it's well past time you were trained and organized.

This is more evidence that there is a fight coming, and the Left wants to limit how prepared their opposition is.

utahjeepr
04-30-24, 13:54
In addition the concerns voiced by all above, wouldn't this also effectively outlaw armed private security? Especially looking at #4.

titsonritz
04-30-24, 18:30
Wouldn't this bill green light cleaning up all the pro hamas crap at the campuses?? :-/

That’s crazy talk.