PDA

View Full Version : 8 LEOs shot, 4 Dead

WillBrink
04-30-24, 08:54
Very bad day in NC:

Four officers are dead and four others are hurt after a Monday shooting in an east Charlotte neighborhood. Three members of the U.S. Marshals Task Force died in the shooting, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Johnny Jennings. Specifically, one of the officers killed was a deputy marshal with the U.S. Marshals Service, the marshals service said. Gov. Roy Cooper said the other two who died, identified as Samuel "Sam" Poloche and William "Alden" Elliot, were North Carolina Department of Adult Correction officers.

Jennings said three Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers were shot, including one who was in critical condition at a hospital. That officer, later identified as Joshua Eyer, died from his injuries Monday night. Eight law enforcement officers were shot in total, Jennings said. There was also a fourth member of the U.S. Marshals Task Force who was shot, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. Jennings said officers were attempting to serve a warrant Monday on a person for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon at a home near the 5000 block of Galway Drive. The deceased suspect, identified as 39-year-old Terry Clark Hughes, Jr., was wanted for possession of a firearm by a felon and felony flee to elude (two counts) out of Lincoln County, North Carolina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8HPmV8AdTs

Averageman
04-30-24, 09:21
I never served a day as a Cop, so I don't know.

Isn't it smarter to just watch until the guy you want gets in a car and pulls back like he's about to leave the driveway before you spring the trap?

An Armed felon holed up in the suburbs, who seems anxious to shoot it out; is wrong on too many levels to mention.

chuckman
04-30-24, 09:34
2 1/2 hours away, been pretty much the only thing on the news. My bro-in-law's family knows the family of one of the cops who died.

Still a lot of unconfirmed info coming out. Story is first LEO got shot, others rushed to his aid and tried to render care on the 'X' and were shot in the process. I do not know if they were trained in TECC (LE version of TCCC), but if so they totally screwed the pooch by not adhering to protocol.

markm
04-30-24, 10:19
Isn't it smarter to just watch until the guy you want gets in a car and pulls back like he's about to leave the driveway before you spring the trap?

I wouldn't even want him in a car. But yeah... I ideally grabbing him in plain sight would be ideal. Nuts like this are going to shoot no matter what. I posted a video of some roach in Tucson a few years back. Surrounded by cops in a parking lot and still pulled a pistol. He soaked up 4 or 5 round from an m4 at like 2 feet from muzzle.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-30-24, 10:33
Press covers this, but if this was a J6 arrest, it would be all we hear about until the election.

Averageman
04-30-24, 10:49
deleted

eric0311
04-30-24, 10:54
I wouldn't even want him in a car. But yeah... I ideally grabbing him in plain sight would be ideal. Nuts like this are going to shoot no matter what. I posted a video of some roach in Tucson a few years back. Surrounded by cops in a parking lot and still pulled a pistol. He soaked up 4 or 5 round from an m4 at like 2 feet from muzzle.

Yep… a well executed high-risk pedestrian takedown would be preferred with a guy like this.

Jellybean
04-30-24, 10:54
If the US Marshals are involved.... I'm guessing there's a little more to the story than just simple firearm possession, right....?

markm
04-30-24, 10:58
If the US Marshals are involved.... I'm guessing there's a little more to the story than just simple firearm possession, right....?

I would think so.

Waylander
04-30-24, 13:26

Says in the OP the pos had fled to elude. I’m guessing that’s why US Marshalls got involved.

WillBrink
04-30-24, 13:48
2 1/2 hours away, been pretty much the only thing on the news. My bro-in-law's family knows the family of one of the cops who died.

Still a lot of unconfirmed info coming out. Story is first LEO got shot, others rushed to his aid and tried to render care on the 'X' and were shot in the process. I do not know if they were trained in TECC (LE version of TCCC), but if so they totally screwed the pooch by not adhering to protocol.

What's the protocol? Making sure the threat is neutralized before making any attempt to render med care?

WillBrink
04-30-24, 13:49
Says in the OP the pos had fled to elude. I’m guessing that’s why US Marshalls got involved.

Due to crossing state lines? I'm unclear how that works.

WillBrink
04-30-24, 15:02
So, POS criminal record, and some how (sarcasm intended) had no problems arming up and killing LE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Wxzbrwzr8

chuckman
04-30-24, 15:33
What's the protocol? Making sure the threat is neutralized before making any attempt to render med care?

From what I am hearing they were shot attempting to render care where officer #1 dropped. They should have used cover/shield/covering fire to remove officer #1 to cover for eval and treatment. By treating on the 'X' they just became targets.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-30-24, 17:41
So, POS criminal record, and some how (sarcasm intended) had no problems arming up and killing LE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Wxzbrwzr8

Nine pages of previous charges
Warrants in other counties
2021 charges dropped (fleeing, drugs) MEcklenberg
2021 Person County charges for felon with firearm and drugs, didn’t show up for court
This guy was a target a taskforce looking to take the worst of the worst off the streets.

cd228
05-01-24, 15:29

From the .mil side, security takes priority, meaning return fire and gain/regain initiative, then drag the casualty to cover and treat behind cover with minimal personnel. I can’t speak to LE.

ABNAK
05-01-24, 18:28
This will be brushed under the rug by the FJB regime because the shooter doesn't fit the narrative they'd prefer.

titsonritz
05-01-24, 22:47
This will be brushed under the rug by the FJB regime because the shooter doesn't fit the narrative they'd prefer.

There’s a lot of shit under that rug.

Budget
05-02-24, 01:07

Not necessarily, they just have Fed resources, could be a parole absconder unit. Not every Marshal is Raylan Givens. Fugitive apprehension are usually in baseball hats and soft armor.

BIGUGLY
05-02-24, 19:16
The goal is to get off the X to treat any wounded or eliminate threat then treat. It's a hard thing to do when a buddy goes down but talking rifles, aka supressive fire is pretty hard for a stateside leo to do and not lose their job, and that's if they have people capable and in position to do this.

C-grunt
05-02-24, 19:38
Apparently there is video of the incident. From the short clip I saw it looks like the Marshals got pinned down and were returning fire at an elevated position.

Sam
05-02-24, 20:00
Apparently there is video of the incident. From the short clip I saw it looks like the Marshals got pinned down and were returning fire at an elevated position.

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpKjPZLUtXM

C-grunt
05-03-24, 07:37
Is it this one?

Yeah. A shorter clip from that video.

Alpha-17
05-03-24, 07:41
Is it this one?

I'm sorry, I just love that the guy filming is desperately knocking on the door, trying to get "Jimmy" to let him in. Brought a cell phone to a gunfight, and couldn't get out of it.