PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else seen one of these Tesla "Cyber Trucks" on the road?

kirkland
05-05-24, 11:02
Good god they're awful to look at. I'm actually mad at Tesla for putting these eyesores on the road. It almost causes me physical pain to see them. Ugliest car ever made by far. There's a guy around this area who owns like 3 or 4 DeLoreans, see 'em driving around every once in a while, those are the only Stainless steel cars I like to see on the road.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-05-24, 11:07
Status symbol. If they looked like the average truck there would be little reason to own one.

JDH1
05-05-24, 11:13
I drive by the plant several times a week. They have been road testing them around the area for about a year now. Get stuck behind one in traffic and you almost want to gouge your own eyes out.

Bluto
05-05-24, 12:02
It’s the current generations version of the Pontic Aztec

kirkland
05-05-24, 12:14
It’s the current generations version of the Pontic Aztec

Oh yeah, those were fugly.

THCDDM4
05-05-24, 12:36
Yes, they always seem to come standard from the factory with an arsehole driver that doesn’t pay attention, is a selfish douche and drives like a moron. Go figure.

They remind me of the future depictions of cars in films from the 80’s, I think if you watch Total Recall and judge dredd you’ll see the design inspiration…

militarymoron
05-05-24, 12:49
Yup, I've seen them on the road and at some car meets. Not my cup of tea. I do wonder how other cars will fare in collisions with the Cyber truck.

kirkland
05-05-24, 13:19
Yes, they always seem to come standard from the factory with an arsehole driver that doesn’t pay attention, is a selfish douche and drives like a moron. Go figure.

They remind me of the future depictions of cars in films from the 80’s, I think if you watch Total Recall and judge dredd you’ll see the design inspiration…

Yep, I've noticed that with all Teslas, they've firmly grasped the top spot for asshole drivers from BMW.

JediGuy
05-05-24, 14:21
Yep, I've noticed that with all Teslas, they've firmly grasped the top spot for asshole drivers from BMW.

You are wrong, sir. Simple volume has cemented BMW’s place at the top of that pile.

Co-gnARR
05-05-24, 14:25
Saw one Friday, west bound on 60 near Gilbert/Mesa. It is definitely an unusual profile, almost like a real life ‘80’s arcade graphic.

TexHill
05-05-24, 14:30
Based on frequency of sightings, I'd say that there are about half a dozen in my area. I made a run to the grocery store a few minutes ago for my wife, and I saw one on my way that was painted matte black.

We also see McLaren's, Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Porsche's occasionally. There are several Dallas Cowboys and other professional athletes who live in the area.

Sam
05-05-24, 16:26
Looks like some frat's science project.

C-grunt
05-05-24, 18:00
There are a few near me. The guy in my neighborhood has his painted or wrapped black. If looks better black. Not good, just not as bad.

joedirt199
05-05-24, 18:06
Saw a couple on a car hauler.

CrowCommand
05-05-24, 18:22
I laugh my ass off every time I see one. That said, they are kind of intriguing….

rero360
05-05-24, 19:29
The more I see them on the road, the more I’m souring to them. With that said, imagine this, cyber truck wrapped in matte black or a dark green, replace all lights inside and out with IR equivalents. I know the electric motors are capable of running more quietly, so revert them to that, and toss a crew served in the bed. Now granted, I’ll still take a hilux over it any day of the week, but it could make for a pretty stealthy urban assault vehicle, couple it with some similarly modified model Ys with their gull wing doors.

RudyN
05-05-24, 19:47
There is one in my area, but I have only seen it once or twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-05-24, 20:49
There are a few near me. The guy in my neighborhood has his painted or wrapped black. If looks better black. Not good, just not as bad.

Just saw one today in Denver. It was wrapped in like a paisley print pattern. Really weird. Even my daughter thought it was very ugly.

Unwrapped they just remind me of a kitchen refrigerator on wheels. Just because you’re different doesn’t mean you’re better.

kirkland
05-05-24, 22:43
Just saw one today in Denver. It was wrapped in like a paisley print pattern. Really weird. Even my daughter thought it was very ugly.

Unwrapped they just remind me of a kitchen refrigerator on wheels. Just because you’re different doesn’t mean you’re better.

Holy shit. That's it! It looks exactly like commercial kitchen equipment on wheels. You hit the nail on the head there! :laugh:

SteyrAUG
05-05-24, 23:47
Holy shit. That's it! It looks exactly like commercial kitchen equipment on wheels. You hit the nail on the head there! :laugh:

Now that he mentions it. Given what they probably cost, I can probably think of a dozen cars I'd rather have. When I lived in South Florida I saw everything. The most exotics of the exotic, you say "hey look at that" and then it becomes commonplace again. Seeing a 1967 convertible corvette was far more uncommon than lambos and ferrari's.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-05-24, 23:56
Not nearly as cool as the new Grenadier.....:cool:

Rob96
05-06-24, 04:03
They actually remind me of something from the Battle Bots show.

utahjeepr
05-06-24, 06:27
I thought I saw one in traffic up in Salt Lake a few weeks ago. Then I started noticing that it looked like regular running gear underneath. Looking closer I saw dual exhaust kinda disguised that dumped in front of the rear axle. Kinda forgot about it until I saw this thread.

If it was homebuilt the dude had fab skills, otherwise maybe there are replica kits out or something.

henri
05-06-24, 07:02
When I lived in South Florida I saw everything. The most exotics of the exotic, you say "hey look at that" and then it becomes commonplace again. Seeing a 1967 convertible corvette was far more uncommon than lambos and ferrari's.

LOL ! Whenever I leave my building to walk the pup I think how long before I see a Bentley or Cullinan drive by, usually less than 5 minutes. The Lambos & Ferraris' are common in the garage, and Porsches' are the equivalent of Camry's, but that's Miami :-). Given that, have only seen 2-3 Cybertrucks around my neighborhood in the past few months.

ThirdWatcher
05-07-24, 19:44
Think of all the money Tesla saved by not hiring any automotive stylists (or maybe they paid some kindergartener to design the body?).

ChattanoogaPhil
05-08-24, 10:48
There was one in my doctor's parking lot today. Hideous.

https://i.imgur.com/SnuDmLE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1CU5qaY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/otvLBit.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1MFMx0W.jpg

WillBrink
05-08-24, 11:05
Not yet, which surprises me as we have a lot of Tesla around here. I would like to see one in person too.

jsbhike
05-08-24, 11:36
Maybe Elon watched Damnation Alley?

https://youtu.be/ZZYT2nYd46o?si=VYaLt_QCB4tBRAlr

markm
05-08-24, 11:58
I'll be interesting to see how these things age (design-wise). I remember working at the Chevy dealership as a kid, and the new vettes would be sweet, but 5-10 years later, they looked out of date and shitty. Odd that a cool design could age so poorly.

Adrenaline_6
05-08-24, 14:37
I'll be interesting to see how these things age (design-wise). I remember working at the Chevy dealership as a kid, and the new vettes would be sweet, but 5-10 years later, they looked out of date and shitty. Odd that a cool design could age so poorly.

My best prediction is once these lose value and become semi-affordable on the used market, they will be used by sci-fi cosplayers going to comicon.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-08-24, 15:14
Or end up permanently next to some guys trailer home as a poor man’s energy wall.

markm
05-08-24, 15:33
My best prediction is once these lose value and become semi-affordable on the used market, they will be used by sci-fi cosplayers going to comicon.

These suckers are going to lose value hard at some point. It's not like it's cost effective to replace the aged out batreeze!

titsonritz
05-21-24, 16:47
Just seen one today and when I was out and about. Funky looking thing.

markm
05-21-24, 16:52
I saw one Saturday. I guess if it had a thundering V8 engine, I could tolerate the weird looking body style. But a gay electric? Nah!

militarymoron
05-21-24, 19:30
It holds up pretty well to handgun rounds. I took a pic this past Saturday of the one that was shot at. These are .45 ACP dents. They shot the other side with 9mm. It might make a good base vehicle for security/protective detail.

SilverBullet432
05-21-24, 23:32
Saw one for sale at a local used lot already.

markm
05-22-24, 09:19
It might make a good base vehicle for security/protective detail.

You can soak up pistol fire while you're waiting at the charging station! :sarcastic:

Adrenaline_6
05-22-24, 15:26
Just saw one in person and close up in my grocery store parking lot yesterday. It just doesn't look like a vehicle that should command a price like that. Yes, it has all the electronics and the power, but the finish quality does not scream high end at all.

TexHill
05-22-24, 16:13
It holds up pretty well to handgun rounds. I took a pic this past Saturday of the one that was shot at. These are .45 ACP dents. They shot the other side with 9mm. It might make a good base vehicle for security/protective detail.

Backstory?

markm
05-22-24, 16:27
Backstory?

I remember seeing this somewhere on the internet. I didn't click on the link, but I can't imagine who or why someone would do this.

militarymoron
05-22-24, 17:17
Backstory?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRRk-0KHus&ab_channel=Tesla

utahjeepr
06-06-24, 17:59
Saw a story out of Salt Lake City. Guy bought one of these trucks but while he was waiting for delivery his life changed (divorce, ...). Took delivery but just doesn't work for him in current circumstances.

Apparently you are contractually bound not to sell for 12 months from delivery date. If the guy sells his truck on the used market Tesla will fine him $50K Tesla is not willing to buy the truck back either.

That's kinda screwed that you can't sell your own property. I mean a contract is a contract but... damn.

militarymoron
06-07-24, 00:16
That's kinda screwed that you can't sell your own property. I mean a contract is a contract but... damn.

Other brands have similar contracts for in-demand cars which people might flip for profit. Chevy will void the warranty on Corvette Z06's sold within 6 months of original purchase. I'm not sure how they deal with folks who have unique circumstances like this.

Bulletdog
06-07-24, 15:45
You are wrong, sir. Simple volume has cemented BMW’s place at the top of that pile.

Late to the party, and both brands put out some great contenders for this title, but you are both wrong.

NOBODY beats a Prius driver.

As for the cyber truck, not something I would buy or drive, but I'm not repulsed by the thing. I don't like to stand out. There was one parked at the paintball field the other day and I got to look it over up close. Its not conventional, but I don't find it ugly.

Adrenaline_6
06-10-24, 12:05
Late to the party, and both brands put out some great contenders for this title, but you are both wrong.

NOBODY beats a Prius driver.

As for the cyber truck, not something I would buy or drive, but I'm not repulsed by the thing. I don't like to stand out. There was one parked at the paintball field the other day and I got to look it over up close. Its not conventional, but I don't find it ugly.

The Prius driver are clones of the Fit and Yaris drivers

chadbag
06-10-24, 15:53
BMW drivers are far worse than Prius drivers. BMW drivers are a-holes. Prius drivers are just smug and ignorant.

I saw my first Cybertruck a week ago. I was in Orem (UT) driving down State Street and one passed me. Ugly as all get out. Straight out of the Battlezone arcade game of the 80s.

It'll age even less well than some of the Corvettes and other flashy cars designed for today, not tomorrow. (Contrast with the 911, which is still the same basic design after 60 years).

kerplode
06-10-24, 16:15
We went to Methbuquerue the other day for an appointment and I finally saw one IRL for the first time. It took my brain a few seconds to process what it was. Very odd...

Anyway, the guy driving it looked PISSED. It was kinda funny.

RudyN
06-11-24, 10:45
I have seen one in my area, the owner must live somewhere close to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk