PDA

View Full Version : Site Issue???

gaijin
05-14-24, 07:47
The site has been loading at the speed of smell for the last week.
Anyone else experience this, or is it my WiFi/phone?

05-14-24, 07:59
The site has been loading at the speed of smell for the last week.
Anyone else experience this, or is it my WiFi/phone?Me too. It took 7 measured seconds just for the main menu to open. 8 for the quote/reply bubble to open for this reply. I think those are probably relatively low volumes of data to send/receive.

I recently cancelled my wifi because it was so slow, so I assumed my phone carrier was throttling my data.

markm
05-14-24, 08:02
I had a birthday in the time this thread loaded.:sarcastic:

(like we need another reason for people to fade away from the site)

Hush
05-14-24, 08:10
Been so terrible I thought it was broken. And new invasive Tapatalk ads

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Entryteam
05-14-24, 08:17
I wondered if I was the only one. It's awful.

ViniVidivici
05-14-24, 08:25
Same here, been very problematic. Glad someone brought it up.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-14-24, 08:25
Yes. Both iMac and iPhone intermittently slow loading.

Averageman
05-14-24, 08:43
Same here, slow, slow, slow.

05-14-24, 08:54
I just did a tracert from my laptop…one of the mods can pm me for the results if they may be useful.

Regular ping test showed an average of 145ms, but during the tracert, there were some times where the in-between hops timed out. Thankfully, none of the adresses said “AWS”.

jsbhike
05-14-24, 09:21
Slow load here too.

Averageman
05-14-24, 09:29
Very much operating at the speed of the old "Dial Up" internet.

Alpha-17
05-14-24, 10:31
It's been slow for me too, on my lap top. For instance, simply loading page two of this thread took 10-20 seconds.

HKGuns
05-14-24, 10:55
Yeah, I'd say server related issue vs. Network. Been dog slow to load and its trying to have me double post every time again.

kirkland
05-14-24, 12:51
Been running slow as hell for the past several days

Waylander
05-14-24, 13:51
Seems to be doing a lot better now.

titsonritz
05-14-24, 14:25
Same here

tn1911
05-14-24, 15:47
Very slow to load no matter what internet connection I use.

Home, cell or the university.

Entryteam
05-14-24, 17:23
Very slow to load no matter what internet connection I use.

Home, cell or the university.

yeah, even cuss words wont help!

Sam
05-14-24, 22:04
I'm sure it has something to do with the new owners doing their magic on the server.

It seems to be not as slow as earlier.

Rascally
05-15-24, 06:56
Solar flare w/CME. Surely you switched on guys knew about it coming. Aurora display visible in N. Georgia...

Sent from my U319AA using Tapatalk

ViniVidivici
05-15-24, 08:13
Solar flare w/CME. Surely you switched on guys knew about it coming. Aurora display visible in N. Georgia...

Sent from my U319AA using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was amazing, saw it myself for the first time in western WA.

And strangely enough, the other forums I use were completely unaffected.

Still slow, like Sam said, slightly less slow.

tn1911
05-15-24, 08:21
I'm sure it has something to do with the new owners doing their magic on the server.

It seems to be not as slow as earlier.

Y’all finally upgraded from the squirrel powered router?

Averageman
05-15-24, 09:33
Y’all finally upgraded from the squirrel powered router?

Never buy the skinny Hamsters, if you desire RPM's from the Hamster wheel.

recon
05-15-24, 23:38
Still slow.

titsonritz
05-15-24, 23:41
Gonna give it a break for awhile, got bigger and better things to do.

ViniVidivici
05-16-24, 09:27
THANK YOU to the overlords, it seems to be working much faster now, this morning.

mpom
05-16-24, 11:59
Nope, not normal yet, and not an issue on other sites.

Diamondback
05-16-24, 14:39
Site has the V-max of one of my garden slugs here, too.

ViniVidivici
05-19-24, 21:28
Yeah never mind. It seemed fine for a bit, but it's back to working like absolute a s s now.

m1a_scoutguy
05-19-24, 21:58
I have been gonna start this thread for a week!! But I didn't want to be that guy, LOL! I have 1GIG internet and it blazes 99% of the time, but this place is like molasses in January, LOL !! It was a bit better earlier Sunday but back slow or the same it's been. "HELP" !!!

m1a_scoutguy
05-24-24, 14:41
Sorry to bitch but are they ever gonna fix this f**ken place? It's still slow as hell. It's not fun anymore, LOL.

mpom
05-24-24, 14:58
Maybe priming the regulars for a subscription setup for normal speed?

ChattanoogaPhil
05-24-24, 15:41
Increased dwell time...

Waylander
05-24-24, 15:54
Worse for me as well lately. 15-30 seconds for thread lists AND individual threads to load is excessive.

Averageman
05-24-24, 16:31
working better today

Buckaroo
05-24-24, 18:31
working better today
Much better indeed!

tn1911
05-24-24, 21:40
It's been consistently, pretty pathetic for me for the last few weeks...

m1a_scoutguy
05-24-24, 22:05
It's been consistently, pretty pathetic for me for the last few weeks...

Yeah, it's hit or miss for me, if I have visited the page during a session it comes up "quicker" but when I click on something I haven't looked at in a while it still drags. I have a buddy who owns a PC repair shop, I'm 99% sure it's not my PC or my internet but I'll bring it down to him and have him clean it up and see if that helps, but I think it's the servers.

Sam
05-24-24, 22:19
I'm 99% sure it's not my PC or my internet but I'll bring it down to him and have him clean it up and see if that helps, but I think it's the servers.

It's been decided early that it's not the user's side that's the issue.

gaijin
05-26-24, 13:57
So slow today I’m tapping.

kerplode
05-26-24, 14:03
Yeah, it's been slow. NBD, I have other things I should be doing besides sitting on the internet.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-26-24, 14:08
It's been decided early that it's not the user's side that's the issue.

ATF data transfers slowing things down?

the AR-15 Junkie
05-26-24, 14:27
Site has been "almost" unusable for many days.

CrowCommand
05-26-24, 15:11
Seems worse first thing in the morning EST, here. Running fine now….

Buckaroo
05-26-24, 18:32
Spotty at best, frustrating!

recon
05-26-24, 21:12
So what changed to make this site so slow now?

ubet
05-26-24, 21:59
Maybe priming the regulars for a subscription setup for normal speed?

That will be the nail in the coffin. I’m not paying to use a forum. And I’m about over Tapatalk with how the ads are now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VLODPG
05-26-24, 22:47
I've had faster dial-up!

the AR-15 Junkie
05-27-24, 00:06
I've had faster dial-up!

lol!

I wonder how many members here are even old enough to know what Dial Up is.

the AR-15 Junkie
05-27-24, 14:08
I heard those folks in Iowa have bought this site, it all makes sense now, we have all been Brownelled!

05-27-24, 14:50
lol!

Most. The demographic here is mostly Elder Millennial and older.

Sam
05-27-24, 15:06
I started on DOS. My first computer was a Tandy 1000 !

HKGuns
05-27-24, 15:16
I had CompuServe in the early 90's and I was pretty excited to get my 14.4K USR modem.

anachronism
05-27-24, 15:57
I heard those folks in Iowa have bought this site, it all makes sense now, we have all been Brownelled!

Drive everybody away, and leave only their flagship site for an option? I recognize some of the names here as refugees from TOS in years past. I still miss the original "Black Rifle" forum.

tn1911
05-27-24, 16:29
Drive everybody away, and leave only their flagship site for an option? I recognize some of the names here as refugees from TOS in years past. I still miss the original "Black Rifle" forum.

Sometimes I wonder if Brownells actually has any idea what they really got when they bought TOS.

:sarcastic:

hotbiggun42
05-27-24, 16:37
Sometimes I wonder if Brownells actually has any idea what they really got when they bought TOS.

:sarcastic:

TOS would be easy to fix. They need to can their site staff and moderators. I always suggested that using the same people would be detremental to their site. The site begins to take on the personality of those moderating it. Now its a liberal shithole.

HKGuns
05-27-24, 17:53
TOS would be easy to fix. They need to can their site staff and moderators. I always suggested that using the same people would be detremental to their site. The site begins to take on the personality of those moderating it. Now its a liberal shithole.

I'll be very clear, it sucked back in 2005ish time frame when I quit the place.

It wasn't the moderators, more like the lack of moderation of the numerous TOOLS who post their nonsense continuously.

I suspect the same is true to this day.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-27-24, 18:50
lol!

“Baud” used to be a high tech term. I remember when 9600bps was considered quite fast. The jump to 14.4kps was like lightening.

anachronism
05-28-24, 19:43
Well, this site is chain lightning again today, ain't it?

Averageman
05-29-24, 08:49
Well I'm pretty frustraited.
Perhaps I need top take some time off? Perhaps if we all did for a while.....

Sam
05-29-24, 11:09
Attempt to contact the site owner through multiple channels. Still waiting.

jsbhike
05-29-24, 18:27
I'll be very clear, it sucked back in 2005ish time frame when I quit the place.

It wasn't the moderators, more like the lack of moderation of the numerous TOOLS who post their nonsense continuously.

I suspect the same is true to this day.

The moderators/enablers are part of the problem.

It's a bizarre thing for Brownell's to claim to be supporting the 2A while numerous LE on there pontificate on the righteousness of LE shooting anyone holding a firearm.

Currently, Senior Airman Roger Fortson had it coming for answering the door armed with the Okaloosa Deputy behaving like a prowler.

Prior to that, Officer Aaron Dean(manslaughter, should have been murder, conviction, Fort Worth PD) was golden for shooting Atatiana Jefferson for trying to defend her nephew's life and her own.

The thread got removed from the site, but Officer Amber Guyger(a renter. Dallas PD, murder conviction) was all kinds of in the right to stroll in to Botham Jean's apartment and kill him while holding a bowl of ice cream.

Meanwhile, criticism of corrupt le is just barely tolerated.

Diamondback
05-29-24, 19:21

It's a bizarre thing for Brownell's to claim to be supporting the 2A while numerous LE on there pontificate on the righteousness of LE shooting anyone holding a firearm.

Currently, Senior Airman Roger Fortson had it coming for answering the door armed with the Okaloosa Deputy behaving like a prowler.

Prior to that, Officer Aaron Dean(manslaughter, should have been murder, conviction, Fort Worth PD) was golden for shooting Atatiana Jefferson for trying to defend her nephew's life and her own.

The thread got removed from the site, but Officer Amber Guyger(a renter. Dallas PD, murder conviction) was all kinds of in the right to stroll in to Botham Jean's apartment and kill him while holding a bowl of ice cream.

Surprised that crowd doesn't play Swallow the Suasage for Murderin' Lonnie and the Waco Chimpman too...

Disciple
05-29-24, 21:36
“Baud” used to be a high tech term. I remember when 9600bps was considered quite fast. The jump to 14.4kps was like lightening.

I remember when 2400 was hot stuff and many of the BBS were 600 or something, and I'm not even that old. I wasn't born yet when Mount St. Helens erupted.

Waylander
05-29-24, 22:09
Attempt to contact the site owner through multiple channels. Still waiting.

I think all that did is piss them off.
20-30 seconds just to load anything is flat out miserable.

Diamondback
05-29-24, 22:17
I remember when 2400 was hot stuff and many of the BBS were 600 or something, and I'm not even that old. I wasn't born yet when Mount St. Helens erupted.

First or second? :P Second was an hour to the minute after my birth... I like to joke that God gave me some really big fireworks to welcome me into the world. :)

Disciple
05-29-24, 23:15
First or second? :P Second was an hour to the minute after my birth... I like to joke that God gave me some really big fireworks to welcome me into the world. :)

Ah, so it's all YOUR fault. :sarcastic: The whole lead-up was before me so I just lumped it together. It's something walking within the Monument and thinking that everything I see, at least in some sense, is just about as old as I am. More precisely the case for you. When were you last there?

tn1911
05-30-24, 07:04

When I was still a cop I got kicked out of the LE forum after jumping thru all the hoops to get verified when I called bullshit on a bad shoot the blue gang was defending.

It’s a really toxic place where far too many moderators are cops and they openly allow cops who are not mods to break the CoC agitating members to the point they get banned.

I tried to sell a HK P2000 with several standard capacity mags on their EE. I very clearly stated in my listing no sale to any ban state only to have one of the non mod cop members pester me to sell him the gun with no mags then ship the mags to a completely different address in another non ban state.

I reported him only to get banned myself… :rolleyes:

jsbhike
05-30-24, 07:58
Surprised that crowd doesn't play Swallow the Suasage for Murderin' Lonnie and the Waco Chimpman too...

It's there to an extent. Not quite as much praising for federal actions, but there will be plenty of victim blaming. Recent one has been Molinowski's shooting.

One that has had a very dramatic change is NRA related stuff. For a long time pointing out legit problems with NRA would often get bans. After the Wayne wardrobe news(actually less egregious than other problems) came out the NRA is just abour fair game there for any criticism.

05-30-24, 07:58
That site’s actually not bad if you stick to the lower traffic, focused subforums. The SNR gets bad fast in the higher traffic and more general subforums. It is similar here, with much of the discussion being in “General Discussion”, and most of that being an outright waste of time. Including this one.

Diamondback
05-30-24, 08:16
Ah, so it's all YOUR fault. :sarcastic: The whole lead-up was before me so I just lumped it together. It's something walking within the Monument and thinking that everything I see, at least in some sense, is just about as old as I am. More precisely the case for you. When were you last there?

Back in college 20some years ago when one of my great-aunts and one of the cousins were visiting from Indiana. At that point it was looking pretty well like nothing had happened, but I can remember when it looked liked a bombed-out hellscape too.

Re BARFCOM, I think the acquisition brings Brownells down rather than the website up, as does Pete's being on Team Wayne.

jsbhike
05-30-24, 08:21
When I was still a cop I got kicked out of the LE forum after jumping thru all the hoops to get verified when I called bullshit on a bad shoot the blue gang was defending.

It’s a really toxic place where far too many moderators are cops and they openly allow cops who are not mods to break the CoC agitating members to the point they get banned.

I tried to sell a HK P2000 with several standard capacity mags on their EE. I very clearly stated in my listing no sale to any ban state only to have one of the non mod cop members pester me to sell him the gun with no mags then ship the mags to a completely different address in another non ban state.

I reported him only to get banned myself… :rolleyes:

I've seen the cops not playing along get screwed problem and the issue with cops trying to get members banned and/or threads locked issue frequently.

There is a recent thread where it was pointed out that really the only members saying "acab" were in fact cops there and part of that discussion got around to a mod stating that anyone giving negative reviews of police incidents had to also be giving positive reviews of police or banning was likely.

jsbhike
05-30-24, 08:25
That site’s actually not bad if you stick to the lower traffic, focused subforums. The SNR gets bad fast in the higher traffic and more general subforums. It is similar here, with much of the discussion being in “General Discussion”, and most of that being an outright waste of time. Including this one.

A lot of the GD stuff is pointless, but occasionally it also is a way to find out about things that are rather news worthy, but don't get shoved to the top of the national news for various reasons. That can range from subtleties of an incident to the entire incident.

Voodoochild
05-30-24, 08:55
We feel your pain and frustration. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it. The Mods/Staff here are pretty much in the dark when it comes to the new owners and what is being done to address the shortcomings here. So we're all in this together.

ChattanoogaPhil
05-30-24, 09:32

The 80s and 90s were exciting times with names like Compuserve, Prodigy and Netscape. IIRC, Prodigy was among the first with decent graphics. At dial-up speeds it was faster loading than M4C is currently.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-30-24, 09:41
So I'm on the site and the page is loading slowly. Then I realize that it is scrolling though and highlighting every single item on the page and the feature's address appears on teh bottom left. I think it is the site issue loading everything, so I close the tab- but it starts doing it on the next tab too--, so i close the browser window. I have another browser window open and it starts to get 'scanned'... I close that window, and I'm about ready to smash the computer, drop all the paper docs into the incinerator, and get jocked up, because obviosly the feds and the invisible helicopters are coming....

and I hear the computer is burbling at me, and realize that the corner of my phone is depressing the 'tab' key- which scrolls though all the elements in a web page and if there isn't a page open it beeps at you, which was the warbling sound.

I do swear that the invisible helicopters are outside though....

Diamondback
05-30-24, 10:47
We feel your pain and frustration. Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about it. The Mods/Staff here are pretty much in the dark when it comes to the new owners and what is being done to address the shortcomings here. So we're all in this together.

Hang in there, guys, it's gotta be even more frustrating than for us. I find myself in the same boat regularly between a client on one side and their customers on the other, so I kinda get it. (And mind you, I'm just the lowly historical consultant! Doubly so when the client has me start a project but then becomes Less Than Communicative when I need clarification and guidance...)

recon
05-31-24, 09:49
So who are the new owners? Did I miss that? Hope they get this fixed soon! :blink:

Voodoochild
05-31-24, 09:55
So who are the new owners? Did I miss that? Hope they get this fixed soon! :blink:

Well we're not even sure who they are to be honest. They have never introduced themselves. All we know is Grant & Roxanne sold M4C.

Voodoochild
05-31-24, 09:55

Well we're not even sure who they are to be honest. They have never introduced themselves. All we know is Grant & Roxanne sold M4C.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
05-31-24, 11:38

It would be interesting to know who has the reigns here, though nothing has really changed since Grant sold it.

I am assuming Grant is still in jail serving his sentence. Crazy situation.

Waylander
05-31-24, 12:07
I was closely following this thread from back in November when things were looking good. Does none of this apply anymore?

Forum Update
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?242353-Forum-Update

Heavyweight
05-31-24, 21:30
Site has become almost unusable on Taptalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
05-31-24, 21:49
It is the exact same using a web browser on a computer. Literally waited 10 minutes for the response box to come up and it never did, so I didn't reply.

Clearly this site isn't a priority for the new ownership or there would be a communicated plan of action for the people still trying to use the site.

Upcountry
06-01-24, 00:39
I've learned a ton from this site. Might be interested in purchasing to bring the site back to what it once was, if the new owners want to contact me. I'd love to give a little back to community that's helped me so much. We could get the SMEs/Mods to be the governing body, etc. I'm not sure how to go about that. I'm not .mil, etc. but would be happy to contribute and give the remaining folks support to bring it back to what the site once was. I hate coming here and not seeing it vibrant and thriving.

SteyrAUG
06-01-24, 01:34
It would be interesting to know who has the reigns here, though nothing has really changed since Grant sold it.

I am assuming Grant is still in jail serving his sentence. Crazy situation.

When did that happen? I almost bought something from G&R a few months back.

sadmin
06-01-24, 07:51
When did that happen? I almost bought something from G&R a few months back.

https://www.wjer.com/news/gun-shop-owner-sentenced-for-ammo-resale-scheme/

ChattanoogaPhil
06-01-24, 14:05
G&R Tactical Store owner William Grant Timberlake will spend 90 days in the county jail and 90 on house arrest for his role in a scheme with a former Bolivar cop to obtain rounds when they were scarce during the pandemic using that department’s tax-exempt status.

hmmm... IIRC, Vickers' partners in crime were also law enforcement.

SteyrAUG
06-01-24, 17:09
G&R Tactical Store owner William Grant Timberlake will spend 90 days in the county jail and 90 on house arrest for his role in a scheme with a former Bolivar cop to obtain rounds when they were scarce during the pandemic using that department’s tax-exempt status.

hmmm... IIRC, Vickers' partners in crime were also law enforcement.

That's kind of a BS charge. If G&R had a resale tax certificate, they would also be tax exempt. Basically they sourced ammo from suppliers who intended it for law enforcement, this is pretty much like using a PD letterhead to get LE restricted firearms EXCEPT ammo isn't regulated and there are no laws against selling LE ammo to the public except maybe stuff like 4.6mm but I've seen it out there.

Now if the local LE purchased the ammo for the department and THEN sold it to G&R, THEN there would be a problem, but it would be mostly for whoever in that department made the purchase and then sold it to an outside vendor for profit. Bottom line is this nonsense is so over regulated it's absurd.

It's like going after SOTs with post samples because they didn't actually demo the gun to anyone. Especially since you can just take your cop buddy shooting and record it on your phone and satisfy the requirement of a "demo."

ABNAK
06-01-24, 20:31
That's kind of a BS charge. If G&R had a resale tax certificate, they would also be tax exempt. Basically they sourced ammo from suppliers who intended it for law enforcement, this is pretty much like using a PD letterhead to get LE restricted firearms EXCEPT ammo isn't regulated and there are no laws against selling LE ammo to the public except maybe stuff like 4.6mm but I've seen it out there.

Now if the local LE purchased the ammo for the department and THEN sold it to G&R, THEN there would be a problem, but it would be mostly for whoever in that department made the purchase and then sold it to an outside vendor for profit. Bottom line is this nonsense is so over regulated it's absurd.

It's like going after SOTs with post samples because they didn't actually demo the gun to anyone. Especially since you can just take your cop buddy shooting and record it on your phone and satisfy the requirement of a "demo."

The guy charged with Grant, the one who is the [former] cop that ordered the ammo as an LEO, got 5 years probation. Granted, he did get a felony conviction but Grant is the one sitting in the jail.

Grant was offered the opportunity to serve 3 x 30 day stints to equal the 90 in totality.

SteyrAUG
06-01-24, 22:12
The guy charged with Grant, the one who is the [former] cop that ordered the ammo as an LEO, got 5 years probation. Granted, he did get a felony conviction but Grant is the one sitting in the jail.

Grant was offered the opportunity to serve 3 x 30 day stints to equal the 90 in totality.

Worst part is ammo markups, even in peak demand times, are razor thin. I don't know how much money they made, but it ain't worth losing your license over. Even when ammo is available I don't try and sell it because shipping costs are higher than what I can make selling it. When UPS / FedEx is making more money on the sale then you...it's not worth the effort.

ChattanoogaPhil
06-02-24, 06:58

I didn't see tax fraud charges.

I would guess the motivation was ammo scarcity at the time and profiteering from fraudulently obtained department discounts. Ultimately, Timberlake and Stearns reportedly plead guilty to telecommunications fraud and attempted telecommunications fraud which seems appropriate.

Officer Stearns portrayed himself as the victim. See... he thought Timberlake was conducting a philanthropic operation to help police around the country :rolleyes:. A statement by Stearns’ attorney, Matthew Mullen, outlined how he met Timberlake and trusted him to be truthful about his intentions. --- “He told Jeff, this has been Jeff’s story from the get-go, that he was going to take the ammunition and donate it to law enforcement entities across the county who were having a difficult time finding ammunition [during COVID] for their training purposes, for their qualification purposes, and that type of thing.” uh huh...

The well-intentioned hapless victim went on to say-- “Because of this ordeal, I have lost nearly everything. I’ve lost my career, lost my retirement, I’ve lost my freedoms, I’ve lost many people that I thought were my friends, I’ve lost my dignity, [and] I’ve lost my identity of who I am as a man.”

As fas as government regulating that which is constitutionally forbidden to regulate, no argument there. Heck, if it was up to me people like you (FFLs) would not exist. But what we have here is fraud, whether it be bullets or bubblegum.

This topic is probably best in another thread.

triggerjerk
06-02-24, 07:42
All I can say is people owning/managing/operating this site must not be real shooters cause real shooters wouldn't put up with the continued sorry loading time of the site.

Or maybe I just don't know how to click or my own equipment is suspect.....

Alpha-17
06-02-24, 07:44
Incredibly slow this morning. Took several minutes for the "reply" screen to open to even leave this message, and I'm still waiting for another tab to open a "quote" screen in the Israel thread. Almost unusable.

flenna
06-02-24, 10:43
Incredibly slow this morning. Took several minutes for the "reply" screen to open to even leave this message, and I'm still waiting for another tab to open a "quote" screen in the Israel thread. Almost unusable.

Maybe it’s all part of the plan- I know my traffic on this site has slowed way down. My feelings are if everything was on the up and up the new owners would be proud to come forward and let us know how they are here to support this site.

ace4059
06-02-24, 18:45
This site is so slow now it’s basically unusable.

matemike
06-02-24, 19:40
Was loading slow on everything; phone on WiFi, phone on LTE, laptop on wifi

Just loaded swiftly for me, for the first time in a while. Phone on WiFi. I’ll try the laptop on WiFi next and phone on 5G/LTE next.

ABNAK
06-02-24, 20:11

The 1990's called and want their dial-up back.

:rolleyes:

ABNAK
06-02-24, 20:11

Double tap.

Speak of the Devil......there is indeed karma.

Stickman
06-03-24, 15:20
I'll echo the others and point out that my time spent here has gotten less and less as the times have become so slow loading. I'm not sure if the site will load, hang, load slowly, or only load a portion.

I would ask the site admin, owners, or those they made responsible to get this fixed ASAP. People are leaving forums, and this forums posting has grown slower and slower as well. If this isn't fixed soon, the site will be relegated to obscurity.

In short, get it fixed and start explaining what is up, or the site purchase will be a failure.

jsbhike
06-03-24, 15:42
I didn't see tax fraud charges.

I would guess the motivation was ammo scarcity at the time and profiteering from fraudulently obtained department discounts. Ultimately, Timberlake and Stearns reportedly plead guilty to telecommunications fraud and attempted telecommunications fraud which seems appropriate.

Officer Stearns portrayed himself as the victim. See... he thought Timberlake was conducting a philanthropic operation to help police around the country :rolleyes:. A statement by Stearns’ attorney, Matthew Mullen, outlined how he met Timberlake and trusted him to be truthful about his intentions. --- “He told Jeff, this has been Jeff’s story from the get-go, that he was going to take the ammunition and donate it to law enforcement entities across the county who were having a difficult time finding ammunition [during COVID] for their training purposes, for their qualification purposes, and that type of thing.” uh huh...

The well-intentioned hapless victim went on to say-- “Because of this ordeal, I have lost nearly everything. I’ve lost my career, lost my retirement, I’ve lost my freedoms, I’ve lost many people that I thought were my friends, I’ve lost my dignity, [and] I’ve lost my identity of who I am as a man.”

As fas as government regulating that which is constitutionally forbidden to regulate, no argument there. Heck, if it was up to me people like you (FFLs) would not exist. But what we have here is fraud, whether it be bullets or bubblegum.

This topic is probably best in another thread.

If it wasn't tax fraud then it is even more bizarre since that is the key difference between .gov ammo and ammo for the peasantry.

jsbhike
06-03-24, 15:42
Site is moving quicker!

Waylander
06-03-24, 16:14
I'll echo the others and point out that my time spent here has gotten less and less as the times have become so slow loading. I'm not sure if the site will load, hang, load slowly, or only load a portion.

I would ask the site admin, owners, or those they made responsible to get this fixed ASAP. People are leaving forums, and this forums posting has grown slower and slower as well. If this isn't fixed soon, the site will be relegated to obscurity.

In short, get it fixed and start explaining what is up, or the site purchase will be a failure.

I knew Stick flexing on them would clear it up fast!

m1a_scoutguy
06-03-24, 22:15
Yes, it seems much better, at least tonight. I will check in the AM!

kirkland
06-03-24, 23:03
Site is moving at lightning speed now

Sam
06-04-24, 06:39
Back to super slow again. It's a hit and miss. There is no explanation. I wish a real IT person would explain this to us.

tn1911
06-04-24, 10:33
Back to super slow again. It's a hit and miss. There is no explanation. I wish a real IT person would explain this to us.

https://pagespeed.web.dev/analysis/https-www-m4carbine-net/600g4bthpu?form_factor=mobile

dante2
06-04-24, 16:50
Back to normal for me but for how long who knows.

ABNAK
06-04-24, 19:48

Wait a minute man! Aren't you in the chain-of-command and shit around here? :sarcastic:

Diamondback
06-04-24, 21:10
Wait a minute man! Aren't you in the chain-of-command and shit around here? :sarcastic:

It was the same when I was a mod at Redstate, kept in the dark and fed a steady diet of crap, and when I noted that the readers were vocally unhappy and requested corrective action I and the entire rest of the mod team at the time were summarily shitcanned because the new editor is a real Karen who's a corporate butt-remora.

SteyrAUG
06-04-24, 22:58
It was the same when I was a mod at Redstate, kept in the dark and fed a steady diet of crap, and when I noted that the readers were vocally unhappy and requested corrective action I and the entire rest of the mod team at the time were summarily shitcanned because the new editor is a real Karen who's a corporate butt-remora.

I can't imagine trying to be a room monitor at a place like redstate, had to be a full on romper room. I thought I had my hands full trying to help run full-auto.com / full-auto.org back in they day, but compared to the nonsense that people pull in the last 10 years - especially when it comes to polarized politics it was civil. It was challenging to keep the 88s from turning it into stormfront given the experiment of minimal moderation that was being attempted.

Diamondback
06-05-24, 09:52
I can't imagine trying to be a room monitor at a place like redstate, had to be a full on romper room. I thought I had my hands full trying to help run full-auto.com / full-auto.org back in they day, but compared to the nonsense that people pull in the last 10 years - especially when it comes to polarized politics it was civil. It was challenging to keep the 88s from turning it into stormfront given the experiment of minimal moderation that was being attempted.

RS changed DRAMATICALLY in 2016, and again in 2020--I was only a mod from about early 2020 to first quarter 2021; I knew my days were numbered when my mentor Streiff was ousted as Editor. Dunking on trolls and having the authority to summarily Blamstick them and know that the boss would back me 100% helped immensely.

2016 the previous mods an management went Full Nevertard, ran off many ol readers and were particularly harassing towards the ladies of the site who supported Trump, then half the roster was canned because of them destroying the brand. 2020, Corporate was threatened with deplatforming and somebody doxxed my boss, outing him as working at NIAID and being a dissident within the org, and Karen brought in absolutely absurd stuff without talking to us mods about the new rules. Example, saying "tranny" in context of a vehicle powertrain or "butt" in a pork recipe would get your post filtered; most of my last few months' activity was overturning stuff like that. Aside from 2016 and 2020, RS was relatively civilized compared to the metastatic rectal carcinoma of Breitbart.

Corporate Suck-Butt gonna Corporate Suck-Butt... JvL's nose is so far up Jonathan Garthwaite at Salem Media's ass she can only breathe when he farts. (Yup, the so-called "conservatives" who just erased Dinesh D'Souza's 2000 Mules about 2020 election fraud.)

hotbiggun42
06-05-24, 13:13
Must be fixed?

Waylander
06-05-24, 15:33
_____

.45fan
06-06-24, 09:23
Does anyone know why a couple people are having double posts over and over?

It's usually the same people.

Is it a real site issue or is it them?

m1a_scoutguy
06-06-24, 12:02
Must be fixed?

For "me" I'll agree that it's better but far from how it used to be. It's kind of hit or miss for me. Sometimes it's very good and other times(evenings) it slows down a bit, which I would imagine there is more traffic snooping around. We are getting there!

Sam
06-06-24, 13:18
Does anyone know why a couple people are having double posts over and over?

It's usually the same people.

Is it a real site issue or is it them?

It's a real issue.

Since last night, it started to run almost normal speed again.

For those inquiring minds, no we were not in the loop of what happen or if it's fixed.

.45fan
06-06-24, 14:16
It's a real issue.

Since last night, it started to run almost normal speed again.

For those inquiring minds, no we were not in the loop of what happen or if it's fixed.Thank you, Sam.

06-06-24, 18:48
Whatever the case is, there are some things that would have to happen before I pay for my account again, such as ending the mysterious hands-off owner bullshit. And if the model changes to be a marketing paradise like most social media, I’m out…they can try to make money off the two dozen users are left.

This site is hemorrhaging badly; has been for a while. And, I sometimes have to disclose my online activity to investigators that generally don’t care about gun forums as much as about more mainstream social media, but if the new owners are the chinese gov or some shit, the counterintel nerds would probably frown upon that to some degree.

So, I’d say that the new owners need to make themselves known, immediately, and if they want to make money off this acquisition, they need to put their hands on it in some noticeable way. Who the **** buys a business and never shows their face to even the staff? CAT silencers…is that you?

HKGuns
06-07-24, 09:02

I was a "real" IT person for a very long time.

I don't know the architecture of this site, but from what I see, it has all the earmarks of a database issue. There should be log files telling "someone" exactly what is going on with the server(s). However, it is complete radio silence, except for a couple of the moderators who appear to be as in the dark as the rest of us.

At this point I'm betting whomever owns BARFCom bought the site and is letting it croak to drive traffic over there.

Diamondback
06-07-24, 09:07

I don't know the architecture of this site, but from what I see, it has all the earmarks of a database issue. There should be log files telling "someone" exactly what is going on with the server(s). However, it is complete radio silence, except for a couple of the moderators who appear to be as in the dark as the rest of us.

And from my long history with Jelsoft vBulletin and variants thereof, those are the kinds of things that if left unchecked eventually wipe out YEARS of user contributions. As I alluded to before, we're going through exactly this trying to save a very old wargaming board.

Disciple
06-07-24, 09:25
Whatever the case is, there are some things that would have to happen before I pay for my account again, such as ending the mysterious hands-off owner bullshit. And if the model changes to be a marketing paradise like most social media, I’m out…they can try to make money off the two dozen users are left.

Your inbox is full.

markm
06-07-24, 09:38
I thought I had my hands full trying to help run full-auto.com

Lotboy and I were reminiscing about that circus site a few months ago. BOTD section, complete lawlessness. It was great!

Diamondback
06-07-24, 22:39

At this point I'm betting whomever owns BARFCom bought the site and is letting it croak to drive traffic over there.

At least one mod has confirmed it to NOT be Brownells who own Barfcom, nor is it any of the Canadian advertorum companies like VerticalScope or Second Media. If you wanna see how to make a once old and venerated board die a slow and painful death, go look at Gunhub.com (the heirs to BattleRifles and several other once proud Olden Days forums) and note how other than being Camera Land's private ad site it's become nothing but tumbleweeds.

HKGuns
06-07-24, 23:50
At least one mod has confirmed it to NOT be Brownells who own Barfcom, nor is it any of the Canadian advertorum companies like VerticalScope or Second Media. If you wanna see how to make a once old and venerated board die a slow and painful death, go look at Gunhub.com (the heirs to BattleRifles and several other once proud Olden Days forums) and note how other than being Camera Land's private ad site it's become nothing but tumbleweeds.

Brownells owns BARFCom? -Thanks for lifting the rock off my head.

SteyrAUG
06-08-24, 00:39
Lotboy and I were reminiscing about that circus site a few months ago. BOTD section, complete lawlessness. It was great!

It really was a lot of fun, was launched as a result of the first heavy moderation on TOS. The owner and I were mostly active on HK91.com at the time. It's a shame the 88 crowd just couldn't exist in peace with the rest of the residents on the island of misfit toys, I really did love the place.

Diamondback
06-08-24, 09:39
It really was a lot of fun, was launched as a result of the first heavy moderation on TOS. The owner and I were mostly active on HK91.com at the time. It's a shame the 88 crowd just couldn't exist in peace with the rest of the residents on the island of misfit toys, I really did love the place.

That's your problem right there, they can't exist in peace with ANYBODY, EVER.

sidewaysil80
06-10-24, 23:26
I periodically check in from time to time hoping to see this site fixed. But it’s unbearable to read/browse with these loading times. Why not publicly post company who owns it?

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-11-24, 00:45
Still a bit slow to me. Aren't forums like this a throw back to dial up 300 baud Bulletin Boards from the 80s? It seems that places like instagram and facebook pages (and that is for old people) and discord, whatever the frack that is, are the current way of sharing. My daughter told me yesterday that X/twitter was for old people. Frankly, outside of guns, I usually just put 'reddit' on the end of my searches if I want to find out something- and even the gun stuff isn't that bad.

I just worry that with the site the way it is, I click an M4 link, and then go do something else while it loads- and sometimes I come back, and sometimes I don't.

Sam
06-12-24, 06:25
I periodically check in from time to time hoping to see this site fixed. But it’s unbearable to read/browse with these loading times. Why not publicly post company who owns it?

Why not post who the owner is? Because we don't know and they won't identify themselves.

And the site is going to being slow again.

tn1911
06-12-24, 06:53
Why not post who the owner is? Because we don't know and they won't identify themselves.

That’s starting to sound a bit suspicious honestly.

You can’t help but ask why?

Why do you not want to reveal yourselves to even just the moderator staff?

I know the previous owners ran afoul of the law but now you can’t help but ask if some new shady characters have bought it up.

:blink:

Heavyweight
06-12-24, 08:47
Does anyone still have contact with the person who sold the site? Was it Grant? I know he has some legal problems but if anyone would know I’d think it’s him. Surely the previous owner doesn’t have an NDS……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the AR-15 Junkie
06-12-24, 10:23
Over a month now, hard to believe.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-16-24, 15:45
Sadly, M4C has become so annoying to access and read that I think I’m probably done with it. I don’t have the patience bandwidth to deal with the lack of it here. To the new owners: it suck’s that you decided to neglect what was once the best online community of shooters around. Enjoy your new purchase, I hope you come to your senses.

B Cart
06-16-24, 16:27
Sadly, M4C has become so annoying to access and read that I think I’m probably done with it. I don’t have the patience bandwidth to deal with the lack of it here. To the new owners: it suck’s that you decided to neglect what was once the best online community of shooters around. Enjoy your new purchase, I hope you come to your senses.

Agreed. I've been on maybe once in the past month due to the site issues, and hopped back on hoping it would be fixed. Nope. They're gonna lose a lot of traffic

Vegas
06-17-24, 02:09
I use Tapatalk to access the site. I don’t see the issues tbh.

Edit: ok, this post took a few seconds to send. Longer Han usual but read access seems to be unaffected.