PDA

View Full Version : Are "Fudds" as quirky as us?

rob_s
01-09-09, 08:59
Leading up to SHOT there's all this chatter on the various tactical forums and gear forums, and obviously for most of us our interest lies in the "LE/Tactical" section at the north end of the convention center.

I got to wondering though, does the non-tactical crowd, say the hunters, get as worked up as we do? Is there some guy out there that just can't wait to stop by the Bob's decoys booth because he's heard they're going to have a really great new mallard this year? Or a skeet shooter that's all worked up to stop by the golf-cart display to find a hot new way to tote his over/under?

I don't really have any ties in those communities, so I have no idea if they're as gay as we are.

:D

Magsz
01-09-09, 09:10
Just as gay.

My future uncle in law and all of his friends would probably cream themselves if they even knew what shot show was.

They're big time hunters up in Georgia and they can sit there and talk for hours about a damned tree stand.

LOKNLOD
01-09-09, 09:14
Some probably are -- but I think the majority of them are just oblivious to anything but what they hear at the gunshop when they're buying their annual box of ammo in the fall.

It may be hypocritical of me, but if all I had to be excited about at SHOT was a new duck decoy, I'd have to go out back and suck-start both barrels of a Browning Superposed.

GlockWRX
01-09-09, 09:14
It's hard to see them get their fan boy hysterics on like us. We are a technology driven market segment, so 'new' products tend to fire us up more than a relatively stagnant segment like hunting guns. I look at my brother-in-law and father-in-law who are hunters and they don't even know what the SHOT SHOW is. The only time they know something new has been released is when they see it at Cabela's. I have never heard of a Fudd paying 3 to 4 times MSRP for a new rifle just to be the first one to have it.

But you never know. There could be a new deer piss scent or camo pattern that will revolutionize the entire hunting industry. Or they could geek out about a new .30 caliber round that is exactly like another .30 cal round, but is 100 fps faster or slower.

David Thomas
01-09-09, 09:33
They are just as quircky, although in a different way. They get more excited about SCI events and DU banquets than SHOT. There are probably more sub groups in the Fudd community... handgun hunters, shingle shot, black powder, cast bullet, double rifle, etc...

Then there are sub groups of the sub groups. Take the cast bullets crowd for example. You have Keith vs. LFN, Linotype vs. Wheel weight vs. Lyman No. 2, Marvalux vs. beeswax, etc...

Gentoo
01-09-09, 09:36
People get gayed up over anything.

No matter how weird, boring, unusual, or mundane, there is a whole community of people who follow every little detail.

http://www.knittersreview.com/upcoming_events.asp

ST911
01-09-09, 10:09
They're just like everyone else. Among them are those that have great technical knowledge, proficiency, and backgrounds in their disciplines. There are also the lowest common denominators who don't know one rifle from the other because they all look the same.

The more serious among us will spend thousands on train-ups, classes, and skill maintenance. They'll spend thousands on hunts and their own skill development attending shows, clinics, etc in their disciplines.

There are "owners" and "shooters" in that community as well.

One friend can split hairs and cite tech specs on his own non-tactical interests like few can.

See also: Various motorsports.

JBnTX
01-09-09, 10:46
I have a friend who shoots nothing but bolt action target rifles.
He frowns on "tactical" or "military" type rifles.

He is an absolute fanatic about his bolt actions and accuracy.
He won't shut up about them.

He can put as many shots as you require into one small hole at 100yds
all day long.

To him, his bolt actions and accuracy are the pinnacle of firearms ownership.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-09, 10:54
There is more than one internet forums on Flashlights and those guys geek out over the newest LED bulb.

I also 'shoot' cameras and those guys geek out ahead of the PMA and Photokina.

Guys are guys, gear is gear. I'm sure a good percentage aren't totally gear orienteed, but then I doubt there are on the web much.

Business_Casual
01-09-09, 10:59
Or they could geek out about a new .30 caliber round that is exactly like another .30 cal round, but is 100 fps faster or slower.

Now, that is the truth.

Fudd's are suckers for a new cartridge that does exactly what the 30-06 does but at 4x the cost and barrel wear. How dead do they want that deer, anyway?

M_P

g5m
01-09-09, 11:04
People get gayed up over anything.

No matter how weird, boring, unusual, or mundane, there is a whole community of people who follow every little detail.

http://www.knittersreview.com/upcoming_events.asp

That must be quite a link as filters keep me from viewing.

thopkins22
01-09-09, 11:05
Fudd's are suckers for a new cartridge that does exactly what the 30-06 does but at 4x the cost and barrel wear. How dead do they want that deer, anyway?

M_P

How many of them do you think have ever worn out one single barrel?

They want the deer deader.;) I remember when everybody in my local gunshop was clamoring over one another to buy 30-378 Weatherby Magnums for baby sized Texas deer. Most of them probably were hunting over feeders less than 150 yds away too.

ToddG
01-09-09, 11:08
The most insane people at SHOT will be the trap shooters. Guaranteed. Followed closely by most of the other shotgun sports.

The paintball/airsoft crowd has also become a major segment of SHOT since the show organizers began letting them on the floor a couple years back. You can actually meet people at the SHOT Show now who believe that guns should be banned. :mad:

A huge percentage of the attendees (and the folks for whom the SHOW is really intended) are shop owners and their interest generally lies in sales programs, pricing, terms, and the like. They actually show up to spend money and do business.

LOKNLOD
01-09-09, 11:21
They actually show up to spend money and do business.

Gasp! :eek: At a trade show?

I'm so geeked about getting to go this year, when you guys see the red-headed dork frantically sprinting from booth to booth like a 4 year old on a 3 day kool-aid sugar rush on Saturday...that'll be me ;)

(just kidding I promise to behave myself)

Freakdaddy
01-09-09, 11:55
Well, I guess you could call me a "Fudd" to a certain extent. I started off hunting and that's my primary passion. It was only last year I bought my first EBR and it has opened up a whole new realm for me. These things are a blast! I would like to take this moment to thank all the great members for providing such valuable information and insight on all the various tech aspects of all the equipment. It has helped make me a "wise and informed" consumer. Now, back on topic.

As stated, there are owners, shooters and I'd like to include enthusiasts in all fields regarding firearms and their intended purposes. Hunters are just as "tech savvy" as the rest. We get excited over a new GPS, rangefinder, trail cam, waterproofing or anything that can make us more successful. We appreciate the Light Optimization Profile on the Leupold VX-L to achieve the proper cheek weld when shooting. And yes, that new and improved Mallard decoy with the digital image transfer makes some of us grab a towel to clean ourselves up. I personally can't wait to see what new products come out of SHOT but there are many people in all fields that have no idea about this show or what it's about.

In all seriousness, I see the same thing here regarding new products/innovations or just building a better mousetrap. Look at all the vertical foregrips offered in not only the standard length but the "stubby" as well. We have one point, two point and three point slings with the latter being frowned upon. We have red lasers, green lasers, weapon mounted lights that strobe because they're better and the regualr ones just aren't cool anymore. Look at the excitement that stems from a new magazine design. The list goes on but I'm still learning :D. Is this really any different then that new over and under with hammer ejectors? I don't think so.

I personally think that the "Fudds" get a bad rap but unfortunately, this is the group that tends to "Zumbo" themselves the most. We don't seem to learn and Cooper is just the latest example. But not all hunters are "Fudds", not all AR owners are "Special Ops" wannabe's and not all CCL holders are "Cop" wannabe's and carry a badge. Unfortunately, it's the few in each category that makes the rest of us look bad. I will give the AR community this, they are more passionate about their "category" and I think it's because they are under constant attack. If only all the categories could learn from you guys and if only we could all band together and quit classifying each other. The fact is we are all under constant attack, it's just the other communities haven't never had anything taken away like the AR community did in '94. That's where the difference lies.

30 cal slut
01-09-09, 12:23
Well, I guess you could call me a "Fudd" to a certain extent. I started off hunting and that's my primary passion. It was only last year I bought my first EBR and it has opened up a whole new realm for me. These things are a blast! I would like to take this moment to thank all the great members for providing such valuable information and insight on all the various tech aspects of all the equipment. It has helped make me a "wise and informed" consumer. Now, back on topic.

As stated, there are owners, shooters and I'd like to include enthusiasts in all fields regarding firearms and their intended purposes. Hunters are just as "tech savvy" as the rest. We get excited over a new GPS, rangefinder, trail cam, waterproofing or anything that can make us more successful. We appreciate the Light Optimization Profile on the Leupold VX-L to achieve the proper cheek weld when shooting. And yes, that new and improved Mallard decoy with the digital image transfer makes some of us grab a towel to clean ourselves up. I personally can't wait to see what new products come out of SHOT but there are many people in all fields that have no idea about this show or what it's about.

In all seriousness, I see the same thing here regarding new products/innovations or just building a better mousetrap. Look at all the vertical foregrips offered in not only the standard length but the "stubby" as well. We have one point, two point and three point slings with the latter being frowned upon. We have red lasers, green lasers, weapon mounted lights that strobe because they're better and the regualr ones just aren't cool anymore. Look at the excitement that stems from a new magazine design. The list goes on but I'm still learning :D. Is this really any different then that new over and under with hammer ejectors? I don't think so.

I personally think that the "Fudds" get a bad rap but unfortunately, this is the group that tends to "Zumbo" themselves the most. We don't seem to learn and Cooper is just the latest example. But not all hunters are "Fudds", not all AR owners are "Special Ops" wannabe's and not all CCL holders are "Cop" wannabe's and carry a badge. Unfortunately, it's the few in each category that makes the rest of us look bad. I will give the AR community this, they are more passionate about their "category" and I think it's because they are under constant attack. If only all the categories could learn from you guys and if only we could all band together and quit classifying each other. The fact is we are all under constant attack, it's just the other communities haven't never had anything taken away like the AR community did in '94. That's where the difference lies.

wow.

nice post.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-09, 12:35
First there were three point slings,
second there were two point sling,
third there were one point slings!

I bring you Zero point slings, just hold onto your damn rifle ;)

Would a Fudd look at that MPL MOE rifle stuff yesterday and ask if the MOE came in walnut?

theJanitor
01-09-09, 12:38
i'd be "worked up" about upgrading my hunting rifle/gear if deer started shooting back at me.

ST911
01-09-09, 12:41
The most insane people at SHOT will be the trap shooters. Guaranteed. Followed closely by most of the other shotgun sports.

That's no joke. The ugliest debates over black rifles pale in comparison to some with the clays/trap/skeet folks.

LOKNLOD
01-09-09, 12:47
Freakdaddy:
Sounds like you get it, no calling you a Fudd from me.

markm
01-09-09, 12:51
Just as gay.

Enough said.

Freakdaddy
01-09-09, 12:56
Freakdaddy:
Sounds like you get it, no calling you a Fudd from me.

Does that mean I have to sell the hat? :D

M4tographer
01-09-09, 13:01

I'm totally with you there.

Unfortunately for me I'm also involved with cameras. I've had to make exceptions and priorities. I haven't had a new camera body in 5 years, which is a LOT in the digital camera world. My last major photo gear purchase was 3 years ago...and the year before that was parts for my Jeep. :) Every year I try to get at least one shooting class in, whether it's pistol or shotgun, and at least a couple of bird hunting trips. This last year was the first time I bought an EBR also. I've shot plenty and have experience in the Army, but this is the first for me.

I'm hopelessly bound to ensuring the safety of my family while enjoying the outdoors and making a living from my photography hobby. Luckily the latter is bread and butter, allowing me to enjoy the others. ;) I get just as excited about SHOT for the hunting gear as the tactical...and still as excited about the photography shows. :cool:

g5m
01-09-09, 13:03
That's no joke. The ugliest debates over black rifles pale in comparison to some with the clays/trap/skeet folks.

For sure. Especially the trap folks.

LOKNLOD
01-09-09, 13:17
Does that mean I have to sell the hat? :D

No, but we'll see about getting you one in Multicam :D

ToddG
01-09-09, 17:01
Unfortunately for me I'm also involved with cameras.

Don't even get started on cameras ... every time I look at my once-state-of-the-art Canon 1D MkII N and compare it with a MkIII I feel light headed.

bkb0000
01-09-09, 17:29
Fudds get deer, though.

i've pretty much always been single-minded.. when i did get into hunting i dove in with a purely tactical mindset. i took my AR, wore my BDU and LCE, stuffed a large ruck full of MREs and dry boots and socks in a wetweatherbag, took two GPSs, maps, radio, tritium lensatic, several million rounds of ammo, camo face paint... and didn't feel stupid at all.

and i haven't changed much since. in fact, last year i decided my old bright red kayak would make a fantastic insertion method.. so it's now woodland camo, working on additional modifications.

i'd be the worst guy in the world for tweekers growing pot to meet out in the woods, but all the tactical shit doesn't help you find deer. i'm the worst hunter on earth, and nobody ever wants to go with me. :)

variablebinary
01-09-09, 17:35
I know a few Fudd types. They get wet over new cartridges, hides, arrow heads, calls, ugly camo etc etc. Most dont see any use for "high powered rifles" either

jaydoc1
01-09-09, 18:14
Ladies and gentlemen $830,000 for a decoy.

http://antiquesandthearts.com/2006-12-05__13-46-09.html

Yes, it's an antique, but I think that might answer the question of if Fudd's go overboard too.

AirmanAtwood
01-09-09, 18:26
Fudds get deer, though.

i've pretty much always been single-minded.. when i did get into hunting i dove in with a purely tactical mindset. i took my AR, wore my BDU and LCE, stuffed a large ruck full of MREs and dry boots and socks in a wetweatherbag, took two GPSs, maps, radio, tritium lensatic, several million rounds of ammo, camo face paint... and didn't feel stupid at all.

and i haven't changed much since. in fact, last year i decided my old bright red kayak would make a fantastic insertion method.. so it's now woodland camo, working on additional modifications.

i'd be the worst guy in the world for tweekers growing pot to meet out in the woods, but all the tactical shit doesn't help you find deer. i'm the worst hunter on earth, and nobody ever wants to go with me. :)

:D that made my night

rat31465
01-09-09, 20:02
I spent three years working in the Range/reloading department of the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World Headquarters here in Springfield Mo.
I am here to assure you that there are Thousands of Hunters who go absolutely bereserk ever fall during the Fall Hunting Classic to see what is the Manufacturers newest and most popular items.
If you really want to see insanity at its best (worst) try visiting during the Spring Fishing Festival.
Just be extra careful walking the isles near the Fly fishing departments.
And lets not even discuss the Bowhunters.:D
And I should now because I am not only a former employee, but a customer to these events nearly every year.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-09, 20:37
So, M4photographer and Todd, should I upgrade from my 20D to a 5DmkII or a 1DsII? Got a 17-40/f4L and a 70-200/f2.8LIS and do a little stock photography. I like the 1080p and 24mp of the 5DII but the pro-body and AF of the 1DsII.

MPL Reece kind of cut into funds but my 20D is getting kind of sick.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-09, 20:40
Fudds get deer, though.

Kayak, really? Sounds like you need a rebreather. No bubbles, no troubles.

ToddG
01-10-09, 03:34
So, M4photographer and Todd, should I upgrade from my 20D to a 5DmkII or a 1DsII? Got a 17-40/f4L and a 70-200/f2.8LIS and do a little stock photography. I like the 1080p and 24mp of the 5DII but the pro-body and AF of the 1DsII.

Probably worthy of its own thread. If the 20D worked for you, the latest (50D) is probably a great choice. Moving up to a 1Ds or 5D series is a significant investment.

Aray
01-10-09, 08:02
A good friend of mine makes Turkey Calls for a living. People get all worked up about Wormy Chestnut, Zebrawood, Padauk Slate, etc. Fudds are gearwhores too.

I seem to be morphing into an ever more tactical Fudd. I'm spending far more time looking for details on weapon lights and and full floating quad rails than I am looking at rub lines and maintained scrapes.

Just what I needed, a new obsession.

Mr.Goodtimes
01-10-09, 10:44
And lets not even discuss the Bowhunters.:D

Rat right just said it all, Bow hunters, archery. A few years ago before i graduated high school i was really into archery, i mean really into it. I competed nationally in 3d competitions; and every year, when shot show was commin, we'd all start trippin balls over which new arrow was fixin to hit the market, or OH SHIT, HOYT CAM AND A HALF!! MATHEWS HAS A NEW BOW!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! or look at the new easton arrow! its half carbon, half aluminum, half nuclear reactor uranium, half unobtanium, half jessica albas butt! we gotta get some!!!!

So yes, every bit as gay, possibly more...i certainly wouldnt rule it out.

R.P.
01-10-09, 11:07
I believe the type of hunting you do determines how much of a gear head you are.

Most bowhunters i know are nuts about their gear,(bows, arrows, broadheads, treestands, digital game cameras, etc.)

Most rifle hunters I know have been using the same gun for years and sit on the ground or in a homemade "condo".

Mr.Goodtimes
01-10-09, 11:24
yea i agree... alot of my family is gun hunters, they've been using the same rifle that they bought 20 years ago, and thats about the extent of their hunting equipment, gun, knife, woods... the bow hunters a i know go out before season and start setting up digital cameras on trees and have a new hunting bow every year or two.