PDA

View Full Version : Bull barrel 1911's

VA_Dinger
11-24-06, 20:05
What exactly is the point of bull barrel 1911's? Are they supposed to increase accuracy or reliability?

I’m missing something.

Can anybody explain it to me?

Sam
11-24-06, 21:27
I know it adds weight to the muzzle end, so I guess it allows faster follow up shots.

bullitt5172
11-24-06, 22:43
I know it adds weight to the muzzle end, so I guess it allows faster follow up shots.

That is pretty much the only advantage I can see. They look kinda neat but I prefer a normal barrel and bushing on my 1911's.

toast
11-24-06, 23:24
I like them because the recoil is "softer" than bushing guns. I've gotten so used to the takedown that it seems simple to me now.

Robb Jensen
11-25-06, 05:46
1. Adds mass to muzzle but not sliding mass. Sliding/moving mass increases recoil.
2. Tightest possible barrel to slide fit (more accurate) since the only thing fitted at the front is the barrel to the slide
3. Adds more than 1oz to the muzzle end of the gun (less muzzle flip)

I prefer these only on competition guns because I like to be able to field strip a defensive gun without tools.

Here's what my Limited USPSA gun looks like with it's Schuemann AET (gain twist) barrel. I'm in the process of lightening my Limited gun. I'm going to have the frame cut down to be a short dust cover, lightened the slide as much as possible and get a fixed Warren rear sight. I've even thought of going to a non bull barrel to save some weight. My heavy gun has contributed if not caused my 'tennis elbow', so I'll be shooting Production for a while with an M&P. The gun thing is that I can shoot this M&P as accurate and fast as my Limited gun without the elbow pain/stiffness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Limitedgun14.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Limitedgun8.jpg

I've already removed the Dawson heavy ICE magwell and tungsen guide rod.

C4IGrant
11-25-06, 08:33

This is correct. It does such a good job, that they are illegal in IDPA.

The second G&R Tactical 1911 to be produced will have a bull barrel in it.

C4

Chris_C
11-25-06, 08:45
Are we really talking bull barrels? Or 'bull' slides/ lower rcvr's?

Milkman
11-25-06, 16:17
What exactly is the point of bull barrel 1911's? Are they supposed to increase accuracy or reliability?

I’m missing something.

Can anybody explain it to me?

In short 1911s bull barrels are used to increase reliability.

LOKNLOD
11-25-06, 17:10
In short 1911s bull barrels are used to increase reliability.

How so?

K.L. Davis
11-25-06, 18:29
It seems weird I am sure, but even a little weight can make a difference.

When you shoot the gun, the slide and barrel assembly must first overcome the inirtia of the barrel, which when made even a few ounces heavier, is enough to tie things up longer and change the feel of the recoil.

The Bull Barrel design comes and goes... it was very popular for a while when people had horrible feelings over the old Colt "collet bushings" and when people started chopping the slides down, it was much easier to get the gun to work with a bushingless system (due to the binding when the barrel tilted).

Conical, bushingless lockup became widely accepted during the Great Compensator Craze, as it was the most efficient way of putting a comp on a gun, unless you ran a captive bushing behind the comp... in which case, you would be picked on because you could not afford a *real* comped gun (although they seemed to work just as good).

Bull barrels had their down periods too... one that comes to mind was when someone made a bunch of recoil plugs with way to weak of a capture lug, and they would break off and send the associated parts to the dirt about seven feet in front of you... this gave rise to the martial artist snickering at the 'roonies and talking about *game gear* -- but that worm has turned so many times now it is hard to even keep track.

I am not partial to a bushingless design... but that is just me -- like so many other things they have advantages and disadvantages, up to each person what they want to get... one less thing to go wrong or one less thing to go right?

Milkman
11-26-06, 11:32
How so?

Less barrel bind in theory.