PDA

View Full Version : LAV CQB Instructor Course

KevinB
01-09-09, 19:16
The Jacksonville Sheriffs Office hosted Larry Vickers for a 4 day CQB instructor class.

The class size was 20 pers and several familiar names in attendance.

TD1 AM Consisted of some intro shoots - and a 'qual' shoot. LAV worked us on a number of pistol drills, and showed a number of ways to work on accuracy, and to improve shooters (inc ourselves). We moved briefly into the carbine as well before lunch. I drew some attention as my Hk416 had several failures to fire - and it turned out to be my KAC trigger was hanging up - This trigger has had Hk416 problems before - however it was been fine with mine (my lower was used on another Hk416 when I was not around - the trigger was reportedly fixed) it appears from my intially diagnosis that the set screw backed out a tad - however I switch to my 11.5" KAC SR16 upper on a Colt lower and never looked back.

TD1 PM Was flow drills in the Shoot House (what I would call a Kill House but apparently in LE circles that is a non starter). LAV broke us up into 5 man teams and we went thru building block applications of clearing structures.

TD2 AM - intially planned for confidence drills with pistol and carbine - it was called for rain and we went into live fire shoot house drills, both LAV and ourselves where confident in our abilities and safety.

TD2 PM LAV went over the confidence drills, not so much for prep for us - but as ideas to get new SWAT - or Mil team members up to speed and confident.

TD3 - Flow Drills off site - Single and multiple team drills

TD4 - Shoot House All day - single and multiple teams, single and multiple entry points.

It was a great course - hats off to LAV, and Jim and Jeff from JSO.

I dont want to be too detailed in the AAR so I edited the above post. I am hoping some of the others chime in.

Several PM's noticed I wrote Pat Rogers name and then nothing else. I was meaning to write that his BCM gun did not like frang and he went back to the Hk416, but then I figured Pat was better writing that - so I thought I wiped it all out. While this was truly the first time I met Pat in person, I consider him a friend and it was nothing negative intended - I had just thought he was best mentioning his equipment not I.

Failure2Stop
01-10-09, 13:58
Kevin- thanks for the AAR.
This is one the courses at the top of my "to do" list.

Joe R.
01-11-09, 16:14
As Kevin stated this was an outstanding course. I'd also like to thank Larry as well as Jim and Jeff from JSO for all their help in setting up the class.

We found out something none of us knew even after attending numerous Vickers Tactical classes, Milf Master actually has a name! :D

NCPatrolAR
01-11-09, 18:34
We found out something none of us knew even after attending numerous Vickers Tactical classes, Milf Master actually has a name! :D

That was easily one of the funniest things I've seen at a class with LAV.

The course was great and many thanks to everyone from JSO that put up with us. Even Mr. "I'll drive faster so they'll stop following me"

Heavy Metal
01-11-09, 18:50
Is Pat going to do a write-up for SWAT mag on this course?

R Moran
01-12-09, 17:52
I was looking forward to this course for awhile, and was happy I could attend.

Thanks to Timmy and his agency for putting this together. It was good to meet some fellow LFer's and put some faces to names.

Its interesting to see how other agencies operate, and address the same problems, and how certain factors drive their tactics.

Some things I took away, besides humble pie,

Communication is always important, but especially so, when operating in adhoc teams, and the afformentioned differences arrise.

Training or not, you need to keep your head in the game, and not get so side tracked by BSing with the others to forget your PCI's, and let yor focus drift. Whoever said you can do to many press checks is full of shit.

Accuracy, while I always agreed with LAV, and the other instructors I've trained with from his former unit, it was re-enforced here, and we saw how it was easy to "miss" at 4 mtrs.
When your adversary is likely to be heavily armored, heavily armed, and highly motivated, periphial hits probably won't impress them, and end the fight soon enough.

Maintenance training is important, for a variety of reasons, I had not been in the house for awhile, and it showed, its a perishable skill. You need to find the time to train.

Many people who know me, know I have a certain amount of admiration for Albuquerque SWAT, for many reasons. It was nice to work with another fine organization that is motivated, and squared away. Far to many get a Blackhawk vest and thigh holster and call themselves swat.

Again it was great to meet everyone, & train with some good guys.
Thanks again to LAV, Timmy and his agency.

Bob

".....but they are booger eater's with a lot of gun's".....Paul Howe

John_Wayne777
01-12-09, 22:49
I've trained with a couple of guys from JSO...good people.

Iraqgunz
01-13-09, 06:28
Sounds like a good course. I hope that in the not too distant future I can get back CONUS and make up for lost time.