PDA

View Full Version : New Tango Down Short Vert Grip

VA_Dinger
11-24-06, 20:25
Is the new shorter version of the Tango Down vert grip available yet?

Part number: BGV-MK46K

I just noticed it being mentioned over on Lightfighter.

DrMark
11-24-06, 21:04
I didn't see it on Tango Down's site, but that's not always the best indicator. I saw a picture of one in one of Pat Rogers' AARs over on 10-8.

Akoni
11-24-06, 21:46
I think the "orginals" were cut down full size units. Pat has the full scoop on the genesis. I like the idea since I don't store anything in there, don't use a tape switch and don't grab the full grip. Maybe I'll just whack mine down to size.

Harv
11-24-06, 21:55
Heres what I know.. The Grip was a request from some "special" guys.
The cap does not screw off, but is permanently affixed.
I emailed TD and he told me check back in Jan for availability as what they have now was a limited special run.

MaceWindu
11-25-06, 00:35
I didn't see it on Tango Down's site, but that's not always the best indicator. I saw a picture of one in one of Pat Rogers' AARs over on 10-8.

Link man, link!!!

Mace

sovereign
11-25-06, 01:59
From 10-8:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/37126-AR_w_TD.jpg

Resq47
11-25-06, 03:47
It's a pretty simple thing to whack off the end of the grip, did one of mine last night with a turkey hangover. I'm still deciding which way to skin the plug cat though...

rob_s
11-25-06, 07:23
I'll be putting mine through either the chop saw or band saw when I get home from Thanksgiving travels. I intend to just glue the cap in with two-part epoxy.

Turbo Supra
11-28-06, 11:36
I just don't see the fascination with the TD VFG. Is it the quick-detach locks or something? Mine is slightly loose on whichever railed forearm I install it on---KAC RAS, YHM freefloat, or LaRue. I hate the way it wiggles.

I also wanted a shorter VFG for my HK416-ish clone build, so I ordered an $18 HK-style PDW grip from First Samco/TDI. Locks down tight with the set screw, and didn't cost me $60, either...

rob_s
11-28-06, 12:37
I just don't see the fascination with the TD VFG. Is it the quick-detach locks or something? Mine is slightly loose on whichever railed forearm I install it on---KAC RAS, YHM freefloat, or LaRue. I hate the way it wiggles.

I also wanted a shorter VFG for my HK416-ish clone build, so I ordered an $18 HK-style PDW grip from First Samco/TDI. Locks down tight with the set screw, and didn't cost me $60, either...
I'm betting you don't have the tabs pushed up all the way.

Turbo Supra
11-28-06, 13:12
Rob, should the tabs *snap* in to place? Or do I have to manually push up on them after the grip seats?

I'm hoping I haven't embarrassed myself by not installing it correctly... :o

rob_s
11-28-06, 13:22
Rob, should the tabs *snap* in to place? Or do I have to manually push up on them after the grip seats?

I'm hoping I haven't embarrassed myself by not installing it correctly... :o

I always push them up into the notches, but I think they're designed to "snap" in under the spring pressure.

Turbo Supra
11-28-06, 15:36
Hmmm... They definitely snap in to position (can't slide the grip on the rails once it seats), but even when seated in to position the grip has a small amount of wiggle. I will try pushing up on the two tabs tonight and see if I can get it to quit wiggling.

Thanks for your input!

Aubrey
11-28-06, 20:52
Turbo,
If your TD VFG isn't rock-solid on your LaRue rails, then you may have a defective one. Contact TD for a possible replacement. There should be no wiggle.

deadwood83
11-28-06, 21:00
And if you don't feel like doing that then try threading a plastic cable-tie thingy through the 4 holes on the sides. If you get the right size it holds the tabs rock tight against the rail.

Turbo Supra
11-29-06, 09:24
Thanks, guys. My friend has another brand new TD grip he is bringing over tonight. That should determine if mine is defective. The zip-tie sounds like a neat trick, but I would rather use a VFG that screws/bolts down tight than run a loose VFG that needs a zip-tie to secure it... :o

I'll post my finding tonight.

Resq47
12-03-06, 03:53
http://static.flickr.com/117/312533222_d4be19a2ab.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/105/312533424_addefc3829.jpg

Works for me. Loctite 380 is nice stuff too ;)

To be preemptive, no it's not as nice as the OEM version. I have a gap on mine, it's a huge annoyance and I can't live with it. Oh, wait that's bs and it's fine.

rob_s
12-03-06, 06:41
http://static.flickr.com/117/312533222_d4be19a2ab.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/105/312533424_addefc3829.jpg

Works for me. Loctite 380 is nice stuff too ;)

To be preemptive, no it's not as nice as the OEM version. I have a gap on mine, it's a huge annoyance and I can't live with it. Oh, wait that's bs and it's fine.
What caused the gap and how would you correct it?

Resq47
12-03-06, 07:03
I didn't compensate for the OD of the section below the o-ring... If it bothered me I'd put a bigger ring in.

rob_s
12-03-06, 07:34
I didn't compensate for the OD of the section below the o-ring... If it bothered me I'd put a bigger ring in.
Do you think you could ream out the inside of the grip to accomodate the larger diameter plug? What about just cutting off the plug entirely and attaching the "cap" with two-part epoxy?

Resq47
12-03-06, 07:43
Do you think you could ream out the inside of the grip to accomodate the larger diameter plug? What about just cutting off the plug entirely and attaching the "cap" with two-part epoxy?

I couldn't with the tools at hand and it made less sense to weaken the VFG body than the plug. You can do whatever you'd like ;)