PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Election Ammo Frenzy...

GLP Standard
01-09-09, 23:38
You know, I honestly thought that the rise in price for ammunition would wait until Obama took over on Jan 20, but I guess I was wrong

I had planned to buy some ammo before the prices rose, just to have and keep on stock at all times. My goal was to get a couple boxes of 100 count Winchester White Box .40S&W (for range time) and a nice box of 50 count Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement (for a defense load) of the same caliber for my Springfield XD, and maybe 150-200 rounds of .223 (whatever was under $10.00 for 20) to load up a bunch of magazines with for whatever (range time or defense).

Well, I waited far too long, as soon after the election (Im sure everyone on these boards noticed) the prices went sky high. When I first got my XD back in I want to say early 2005, I paid $17.07 after tax for a box of 100 count WWB .40S&W at WAL-MART. As time went on, the price on said box at said store went up to around $24 and some change before tax. Understandable....prices fluctuate. That was maybe 3 months ago though. Now Im shocked to find the same box of ammo in Cheaper Than Dirt, which is known for cheap ammo somewhere around $45.00 a box!!! Holy mother of crap!!

I went to Sportsmans Warehouse today to try and stock up on some ammo before its really too late and it goes any higher, and I was shocked to find that they were CLEANED OUT! I mean shelves were emptied. NO .223, and I mean NONE at all. No .40 cal, no 9mm...all they had is 4 or 5 boxes of .45ACP and it was cheap ass Blazer crap.

So, I went to WAL-MART, and they had a box of Remington .223 (yes, A box) of 20 for I think $17 and some change. They also sell the same box only with 50 rounds for I think around $25 and some change (out of stock of course) and he said they had some Remington .223 for $9 and some change for a box of 20 (out of stock) though I cant imagine what Remington round in .223 costs less than $10.00, so Im thinking he was mistaken, though Im gonna go back and see if they have any more in stock a few days a week if thats the case.

I was lucky enough to pick up a box of 100 count WWB in .40S&W for I think $28 and some change (A LOT better than $45) and I got the last box. A box of 50 count for the same thing was I think $16 and some change.

[/rant]

All that being said, whats everyones thoughts on this? The guy at WAL-MART told me a guy came in soon after the election and bought $800.00 worth of ammo! I should have seen this coming and jumped on this a long time ago. I was stupid to wait

Also, just wondering what everyone is paying for ammo lately. My interests are .223 and .40S&W, but share whatever you would like.

Include:
-Manufacturer/Model/Caliber
-Where you purchased it
-How long ago
-Price
-Count in box

thopkins22
01-09-09, 23:55
Wait longer.;)

The catastrophists(have I created a word or did I read it somewhere?) will run out of money long before Obama gets around to ending the world. When they do prices will drop AND you'll be able to find what you need.

Considering the small amount of ammo you're looking for, I wouldn't think you should have too much trouble. In fact I found superior deals on superior ammo in about two minutes at Ammunition To Go, so I suppose you don't need to wait.

I don't know that cheaper than dirt provides anything cheap.

My recent ammo purchase a couple of weeks after the election had 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 Brown Bear for $230, 1000 rounds of prvi 5.56(I forget what I paid,) and 500 rounds of Blazer Brass for around $10 a box.

bkb0000
01-10-09, 00:14
i agree with thopkins wholly... more so with ARs and their parts, but ammo too.

i've gotten most of my ammo at gun shows, and sort of regretted it, as i've found better deals online.

i got 1,000 rounds of federal xm193 for 480 late november, then another 2,000 rounds same for 850 about a month later. i've since found 1,000 cases for 400 on several of the popular ammo sites, in stock with quantity posted, and i've found it for the same price on gun broker. federal is pumping out the american eagle like crazy- supply is still good enough that prices aren't nuts.

i've also been getting this hornady "training" ammo- 75grHPBT in steel cases, for like 360/1,000. i keep forgetting to shoot it- i'll gotta take some with me tomorrow and try it out.

i can't help you with the smaller quantites. you gotta buy bulk, mang. unless it's defensive loads, then i just go pick up a couple 25-round boxes of golden sabre at sportsmans warehouse for whatever it's going for.

GLP Standard
01-10-09, 00:21
I never knew about Ammunition To Go...but Im glad you showed it to me. Have you ever dealt with them? They can be trusted? Whats their shipping like? I found some really good deals on .223 on there...M193 5.56, 100 rounds for like $37.00. I think I may pick up a couple hundred rounds of that, and a box of the Federal Hydra-Shocks...then get another box of the 100 count WWB in .40 from WAL-MART...

I know I really need to buy in bulk, but Im buying this ammo just to stock up on to have. I plan to keep a minimum number of rounds on hand (probably what Im trying to buy right now), and if I want to go shooting, I plan to replace it before I shoot it.

T3550N
01-10-09, 00:37
Ammo to Go is decent for the PRVI Partisan stuff.
They had plenty in stock and are about as far behind on shipping orders as everyone else (a week or two).

200 rounds of .223 55g for $88 including shipping. Not bad by any current standard.

I even had a snaffoo where my shipping address was listed as my billing. Called them up, a real person picked up after two rings, fixed my billing info and told me to have a nice day. Who knew?

thopkins22
01-10-09, 00:48
I never knew about Ammunition To Go...but Im glad you showed it to me. Have you ever dealt with them? They can be trusted? Whats their shipping like?

I've bought several thousand rounds from them over the past year and received pretty decent service. My order after the election took about 9 days to ship due to all the increased orders. As I recall they were pretty up front about the delays on their website. I had a couple of questions for them as I was about to go out of the country for a couple of weeks and received prompt emails in return.

I've also heard good things about Widener's and aimsurplus, but I haven't used either.

Iraqgunz
01-10-09, 05:41
I have bought a metric assload of ammo from ammunitiontogo as well as the ammoman and they are 100%. As a matter of fact I just received 500rds. of .40 180gr. Golddot HP's from them. I think I paid 239.00 or something. They charge standard UPS shipping rates as far as I know. I believe that they even have Corbon 55gr. FMJ 1000rds. for 334.00 or something.

I never knew about Ammunition To Go...but Im glad you showed it to me. Have you ever dealt with them? They can be trusted? Whats their shipping like? I found some really good deals on .223 on there...M193 5.56, 100 rounds for like $37.00. I think I may pick up a couple hundred rounds of that, and a box of the Federal Hydra-Shocks...then get another box of the 100 count WWB in .40 from WAL-MART...

I know I really need to buy in bulk, but Im buying this ammo just to stock up on to have. I plan to keep a minimum number of rounds on hand (probably what Im trying to buy right now), and if I want to go shooting, I plan to replace it before I shoot it.

Army Chief
01-10-09, 05:42
The catastrophists (have I created a word or did I read it somewhere?)

I'm pretty sure that one is all yours ... though I also think that it serves us well in a way that a lot of other words don't.

I'm ready to start mainstreaming it if you are. :)

AC

beaker
01-10-09, 06:12
Anyone here remember in the early 90's when it was feared They were going to ban primers?

I think I have around 100K primers that are just waiting for their day in the sun. ;)

ReelFaith
01-10-09, 06:40
This looks like a great place to ask a question: I have a S&W M&P 40SW and a M&P15X and need ammo. I don't want to buy junk but aI don't need the best either. What brand/type should I be consider. I'll probably get 1000 rounds of each. Also need 1000 rounds of 22LR for my sons P22 pistol. I'll would like to oreder today on Ammo To Go. Use it self defense and plinking. Thanks.

austinN4
01-10-09, 07:23
Also GTG is Widner's: http://www.wideners.com/

ReelFaith - "Also need 1000 rounds of 22LR for my sons P22 pistol." You can't beat Federal #750 bulk pack of 550 at Walmart for $13.50 each. At least I can't.

R.P.
01-10-09, 07:49
I went to a local gunshop 2 days ago and they did not have any 5.56 or .223 ammo in bulk. He was selling 20 round boxes of XM193 for $12 a box. He did not have a single AR magazine in his shop. He said he had sold 800 magazines in the last 2 weeks.

I hope this craziness will go away in the near future. I want to buy an LMT upper for a reasonable price when they get back in stock. I guess it all depends on what the new administration does.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-09, 09:36
The underlying prices of the metals have come crashing down.

Historical metal prices (http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical.html)

Just found this link to historical prices. Lead, Zinc and Copper are all around about a 1/4 the price they were in 08. Demand aside, ammo prices should be around early 2004 prices. Does anyone remember what that was? As soon as demand ramps down, as long as metal prices stay low, we should see much lower prices.

Cheaper than Dirt is as expensive as sh!t!

tango-papa
01-10-09, 14:04
a metric assload

:eek::eek::eek:

photo2u
01-10-09, 14:58
I went to a local gunshop 2 days ago and they did not have any 5.56 or .223 ammo in bulk. He was selling 20 round boxes of XM193 for $12 a box. He did not have a single AR magazine in his shop. He said he had sold 800 magazines in the last 2 weeks.

I hope this craziness will go away in the near future. I want to buy an LMT upper for a reasonable price when they get back in stock. I guess it all depends on what the new administration does.

I am in the same boat. I want to get an LMT upper for my next project but I am not paying the current prices. I am sure that all of this high prices will drop again. I am also sad that the arms industry is playing games with consumers.

I might just not build a rifle just for the principal of it. Like many of us, how many rifles do we really need? I have 12 with about 3 full rifles in parts as back ups.

Just a thought,
George

thopkins22
01-10-09, 18:44
I am also sad that the arms industry is playing games with consumers.

I think it's more likely that consumers are playing games with industry. Anybody that didn't see an incredibly high chance of an anti gun democrat getting elected had their head up their tuckus.

They should have been buying and stocking up all year long like I did. Companies should have anticipated increased sales after the election, but it would be hard to judge how crazy it would get when sales weren't insane despite all the signs of what was coming.

Most of the companies are probably wary of increasing capacity too much because the catastrophists will run out of money and enthusiasm long before any ban gets here and they will be left having made huge investments that won't pay themselves off.

GLP Standard
01-16-09, 01:26
I found some really good deals on .223 on there...M193 5.56, 100 rounds for like $37.00.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just went back to ammunitiontogo to check on the deal I found that I was referring to in this post I made a few days ago, and well the link I had saved now says "product not found". They only have some cheap ass silver bear ammo left or whatever its called. That shit is right on the same level as Wolf in my book (itll never touch my gun). Wtf happened?!? Did they run out of stock or do they not sell what I was referring to anymore? Im pretty livid as I planned to make a purchase in a few weeks.

Gentoo
01-16-09, 04:47
Im pretty livid as I planned to make a purchase in a few weeks.

I think it is pretty unreasonable of you to be mad that a place is out of stock of something when by you own admission you aren't planning on buying it for a few weeks.

Rider79
01-16-09, 07:24
i've also been getting this hornady "training" ammo- 75grHPBT in steel cases, for like 360/1,000.

Where?

30 cal slut
01-16-09, 07:32
i honestly haven't been hoarding ammo as i have been buying up other stuff (mags, AR related parts, etc).

just about all the ammo purchasing i've done so far is to stay stocked up for formal training and period range practice.

as mentioned before, your best deals will really be online.

i've used ammunitiontogo, wideners, and ammoman.

with copper (and oil) prices down sharply in september, you'll possibly see ammo prices come DOWN once demand subsides a bit. at which point i will be buying aggressively.

Kaos
01-16-09, 07:50
I've got a case or so in the basement, plan to keep saving it up. I don't shoot much in the winter, but make sure that my crap runs (-9 F here today at about 7am)

GLP Standard
01-16-09, 11:41
I think it is pretty unreasonable of you to be mad that a place is out of stock of something when by you own admission you aren't planning on buying it for a few weeks.

If thats the case, and its just out of stock, then thats fine. I dont care as long as theyll get some in within a couple months. However, if such a good deal is gone forever, then ill be pretty upset, because I thought that was a smoking deal, and it doesnt say out of stock, it says product not found...

austinN4
01-16-09, 14:05
However, if such a good deal is gone forever, then ill be pretty upset,...........
Who says smoking deals have to last forever? If fact, they usually don't. You snooze, you lose.