PDA

View Full Version : VLTOR vs. Magpul stocks

gogetal3
01-09-09, 23:56
Been searching for a new stock. Had opportunity to test the Magpul CTR. It felt rock solid......Question for those of you who've had or have VLTOR Enhanced MOD...Is it rock solid as well? What are everyones thoughts on the two?

bkb0000
01-10-09, 00:35
Been searching for a new stock. Had opportunity to test the Magpul CTR. It felt rock solid......Question for those of you who've had or have VLTOR Enhanced MOD...Is it rock solid as well? What are everyones thoughts on the two?

i actually have limited experience with both.. i like the SOPMOD, have two, and I like the MOE, also have two.. the only Emod i've had the opportunity to shoulder was fine- i've heard complaints from people with beards though. the CTRs i've used are functionally identical to the MOEs, so long as you dont need the sling attachment in the back- i'd say it's a better pick for a carbine while emod/SOPMOD styles are better for longer, heavier weapons, from a balance perspective. but it's all personal comfort- get both, sell the one you dont like as much.

rob_s
01-10-09, 06:05
I have original Vltors, Emod, CTR, MOE, and I've shot a good bit with a SOPMOD on a Knight's SR15.

Thoughts are...

The original Vltors are fine stocks. They have tubular storage that can be handy for things. But, they aren't a terribly huge upgrade over the original and they require a slipon rubber pad (if you want one) rather than a bolt on, and then you wind up having to zip tie it into place. They also aren't terribly tight on the gun, which seems to greatly offend some people.

The Vltor Emod corrected most of the above, but it's more expensive, heavier, and longer. I had to move the optic on the gun that my Emod is on when changing over from the old style Vltor.

The Magpul CTR is a good stock. It's light, so it changes the balance of the gun depending on what you had on there before. Also, if you got used to storing things in your old stock, that's not possible with this one. The friction lock causes it to really lock up tight which some people really like.

The Magpul MOE is just like the CTR but missing the friction lock and the QD sling attachment point. It's also significantly less expensive. Without the friction lock it has a little wobble, but not as much as the original Vltor, probably about the same as the Emod.

Both the CTR and the MOE now come with a screw-attached non-slip buttpad.

The LMT SOPMOD is a large, heavy and expensive stock. It is, however, very comfortable and has a non-slip buttpad already attached. It has storage compartments but it requires you to remove the stock from the gun to access them.

As a bearded shooter I can tell you that ANY stock can grab you beard, even an AK. What some people have complained about with the Vltor was their beard getting caught in the crack between the stock body and the storage tubes. I've never had this happen. Where collapsible stocks grab me is where they meet up with the receiver extension, and they all have the same problem.

lanceriley
01-10-09, 07:17
so CTR MOE is good enough

rob_s
01-10-09, 07:22
so CTR MOE is good enough

CTR if you want the lockup lever and QD sling swivel, MOE if you don't need either.

I see it this way.

The MOE is the base. If you have a need for a tighter lockup and/or a QD sling swivel, step up to the CTR. If you need storage and a QD sling point but aren't as concerned with lockup, step up to the Vltor original. If you need something longer, or need the tube storage, step up to the Emod. If you need something with a bigger pad and/or think the Emod will pinch you, step up to the SOPMOD. If you want something that locks up tight, has an almost infinite number of adjustment points, has a QD sling swivel or two, don't mind the weigh, price is no option with the availability of storage, get the UBR.

Magpul MOE (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26706&title=AR-15/M16%20MOE?%20BUTTSTOCK) $60
Magpul CTR (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23765&title=CTR%20BUTTSTOCK) $97
Vltor Basic (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26995&title=AR-15/M16%20BASIC%20CARBINE%20MODSTOCK) $100
Vltor Emod (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=24440&st=ubr&s=) $125
LMT SOPMOD (http://lewismachine.net/product.php?p=181&cid=3&session=9e475982a5b1b39f2f162b435b2a0c61) $200
Magpul UBR (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=26422&title=AR-15/M16%20UBR%20BUTTSTOCK) $265

lanceriley
01-10-09, 08:02
I know i shud make more research... but what to you mean by the QD sling swivel of CTR? which the MOE CTR doesn't have.

do you mean I can't attach a sling for the MOE CTR since there is no QD Sling swivel?

anybody has a side by side comparison?

MOE doesn't have Mil and Civilian version ?

bkb0000
01-10-09, 08:10
I know i shud make more research... but what to you mean by the QD sling swivel of CTR? which the MOE CTR doesn't have.

do you mean I can't attach a sling for the MOE CTR since there is no QD Sling swivel?

anybody has a side by side comparison?

MOE doesn't have Mil and Civilian version ?

the CTR has a little circle in the back of the stock for a HK style quick detach sling, the MOE doesnt. you can still attach a sling a number of different ways, but it's not as nifty. it comes in both milspec and commercial

www.magpul.com for comparison

rob_s
01-10-09, 08:24
riley, click on the stocks in my post and you'll see pictures of each. From there you can easily see the difference between the MOE and the CTR.

C4IGrant
01-10-09, 08:24

The EMOD is very solid, but it also depends on the RE you use. So if you are going to get one, use the VLTOR RE (which is also the nicest one made).

C4

m4fun
01-10-09, 09:41
I have both CTR and VLTOR and must say - I like them both - different setups just seem work well.

CTR is on a setup with a LWRC 10.5" barrel, Aimpoint T1 - no muss, no fuss. Nice, handy and small package.

VLTOR is setup on a 16" barrel with a CompM3/3x power combo. With the battery compartment, just seems a more positve cheek weld/stable platform with the magnifier up.

I do QD sling attachments for both with different Vickers slings(thanks Grant) and have the screw on rubber pad on the CTR and the dreaded slip on/tie wrapped rubber pad on the VLTOR.