PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions, Meopta K-Dot (combined) w/First Hold-Over experiment

Derek_Connor
11-25-06, 09:43
I took the 2-day course in atlanta with Dave Harrington this last weekend. I took 2 pieces of gear to give a trial that I just recently accquired. A new optic, the Meopta K-Dot 1-4x and my first suppressor, OPS Inc. 15th model.

Optic:
First, the K-Dot. There was a group buy that took place here, and the price of this scope was worth the try. I have done my fair share of buying cheap, crying twice. Well this purchase broke the mold, so far :).

One could eloquently put it, it is 90% of the S&B Short-Dot, but 75% less than the price of the short-dot. I have had some trigger time with a friends short-dot, and enjoyed it immensely while I had it. So when I first saw the K-Dot, i was intrigued to say the least.

Here are the technical specs:

Meopta K-Dot: -------------------------------------------------------------S&B Flash-Dot

Weight: 16.9oz..................................................................................16oz

FOV @ 100yards:111/25.8...................................................................96/30

Objective: 22mm...............................................................................24mm

Eye Relief: 3.1in................................................................................3.35-3.7in(differs on schmidt/bender homepage?)

Tube Diameter: 30mm........................................................................30mm

Cost: approx $750...............................................................................approx $1850

Magnification:1x-4............................................................................1.1x-4

Recticle: Illuminated K-Dot, w/7 intensity settings................................Illuminated Flash-Dot, w/11 intensity settings

Overall Length:11.8in.........................................................................10.6inch

Click Values:1/2in...............................................................................1/2in

Focal Plane: 2nd.................................................................................2nd

Warranty:Lifetime, transferable................................................................30years

With those out of the way, my personal impressions. The glass, compared to the 1st GEN Short-Dot, is better, flat out. Extremely clear, no blue tint, 2nd focal plan, so the reticle stays the same up and down the magnification levels. I am only comparing this to the 1st Gen Short-Dot, I have not seen the 2nd GEN of the new S&B release.

The brightness of the reticle seems to me, aimpoint/eotech bright. And I rarely had to keep it up on its highest level during the class, in full sun-light. It was fine on level 4 to 5. To turn the reticle off and on, it is similar to the short-dot, inbetween each intensity interval, is another notch that turns the power off, which is a nice feature.

The size of the K-Dot is longer, and seems heavier, but no where distracting. With the size, and eye relief, mounting options are forgiving. The group buy participants are mounting them mostly in the Larue 1.5, Larue-Extended, Larue-S mounts, all seem to be working well.

I love 1-4x optics, I really do. I started out with irons, moved into eotech's, then converted to aimpoints, and now feel like I have found my niche. When I got this scope I mounted it to my rifle, went zero, and I didn't have to make any adjustments. It was meant to be.

Acquring targets during daytime/low-light/no light shooting was not difficult, and the learning curve was very short. It is hard to say anything is as quick as the aimpoint/eotech, but this was damn close. We shot at 10 yards, out to 350 yards.

Here is where some might not like the k-dot, it is definitely not built for "precision shots" The reticle has no real ranging feature built in, the clicks are approximately 1/2inches. Although, if I am trying to range anything with my 12.5inch SBR as average joe, I have bigger problems :) But hits on man size steal out at 350 yards, was not a challenge prone, monica, and even off-hand, was doable with some concentration on the basics and bumped up to 4x mag. It is very much minute of bad guy accurate.

We were more abusive to our rifles in this class than any other class I have taken, first thing we did was "dirty up" our rifles, long story short, it held up very well, and as expected when you use Larue Products. NO battery issues whatsoever.

Yesterday, I took the scope out for its first extended range session on "paper". I enjoyed the scope that much more. This optic is not made for precision shots. It is made for putting shots in the middle of the badguy's chest. Minute of bad-guy.

Although - MOA and SubMOA groups are definitely possible, even with the size of the reticle:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7426/img1191mediumcy5.jpg

Granted this is with an SBR, but this optic with its 4mag and extremely clear glass, can reach out to 200/300 with ease. These are some targets I was moving back and forth on @ 200/300,

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2694/img1199mediumlt1.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9476/img1200mediumoz0.jpg

I was experimenting with hold over on this scope, excuse the elementary attempt in MS Paint, it will get the point across I hope:

I use Mike's @ CSGunworks picture of the reticle to demonstrate the reticle, so do not think this is me at the range [BD]

200 Yard:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/432/200sj1.jpg

300 Yard:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/873/300yk9.jpg

As you can see, with a 12.5in barrel, and 55grain FMJ, alot of holdover was needed for 300 yard work, but its definitely doable.

So, in conclusion, I have some more planned classes this year and beginning of next year, and I plan on keeping this scope on this setup. And it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Is it the best 1-4x out there? No idea. But I highly encourage you to get some rounds through one or even buy one for the price, it is worth the investigation.

jmart
11-25-06, 10:27
"Honey, can I get a new Weber grill for Christmas? The old one leaks alot.";)

m118lr762
01-13-07, 17:22
Derek,
I have the same scope and I like it. It has real CLEAR glass. I have used my scope out to 300 yards. It works GREAT.:cool: