PDA

View Full Version : UTG Quad Rail w/ Free Float extension

Chickenlittle
01-10-09, 15:16
Has anyone tried the UTG Quad Rail with free float extension on an M4?
It doesn't cost much more than their regular quad rail but it looks like it covers over the front side sling loop and you can only use the bottom sling loop. My 3 point sling on my M4 uses the side sling loop. Can it be modified to expose the side sling loop without compromising the strength or the steadiness of the rail?
Thanks for any answers.

Chickenlittle
"The sky is falling!"

MisterWilson
01-10-09, 15:21
Serious question: Isn't that an airsoft part?

ballsout
01-10-09, 15:24
heavy junk.

AirmanAtwood
01-10-09, 16:54
Buy the midwest industries freefloat. I made the mistake of buying UTG QD fixed sights......now im saving up money for better quality stuff. UTG IS CRAP!!!!!

Chickenlittle
01-10-09, 20:12
Serious question: Isn't that an airsoft part?

I suppose it could be. I'm not that familiar with UTG parts, other than they come recommended by customers who bought them from Cheaper Than Dirt.
Thanks for the quick response.

Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle
01-10-09, 20:13
Buy the midwest industries freefloat. I made the mistake of buying UTG QD fixed sights......now im saving up money for better quality stuff. UTG IS CRAP!!!!!

Thanks for the Midwest suggestion. I'll look into it.

Chickenlittle

spamsammich
01-10-09, 22:32
I installed the non FF UTG quad rails on two of my cousin's ARs and swore to never do that to an AR again. Utter garbage. Not the "upgrade" he had in mind and now he has to buy another rail because he hates it so much. Weak AND heavy, I don't know how they managed to pull that all off at the same time. You'd think a rail system that weighed that much would at least not flex when you squeezed it with your off hand. I wouldn't wish UTG parts on an enemy.

SwatDawg15
01-11-09, 07:10
UTG is LEAPERS. Nuff said.

Basicly freakin knock offs from China. Very popular on TOS.

packinheavy
01-11-09, 09:06
I believe UTG makes Airsoft as well and then branched out into "real" stuff. I have honestly never heard of anyone recommending them.

AirmanAtwood
01-11-09, 10:58
I believe UTG makes Airsoft as well and then branched out into "real" stuff. I have honestly never heard of anyone recommending them.

go to cheaper than dirt and look at the UTG crap. 90% of the reviews recommend people to buy the junk.

kwelz
01-11-09, 11:05
90% of the people also probably never shoot their guns more than twice a year. I think for someone like that it may be fine. But the rails they make are f-ing HEAVY! I will say though, they do make some really nice Rail covers. I have a set and like them.

RD62
01-11-09, 12:52
I suppose it could be. I'm not that familiar with UTG parts, other than they come recommended by customers who bought them from Cheaper Than Dirt.
Thanks for the quick response.

Chickenlittle

There is a reason it's cheaper than dirt. They Midwest Industries stuff is good. A little heavier than some of the more $$ offerings though. Troy has good stuff. For the $$$ the Daniel Defense Omega is awesome. Easy install (no need to remove the Delta ring), fewer parts than the MI, lighter, has built in QD sling points (the others do not) and it comes with three ladder style rail covers. It's about $50 more than the MI, but the rail covers about make up for the price difference. The DD and Troy MRF are about the same price, but I'm not sure if the Troy comes with rail covers or not. The MI, DD, and Troy are also MADE IN THE USA! You'd be GTG with any of these offerings.

If you are just looking for regular drop in handguards, checkout the MI MCTAR#17 or the Troy MRF-DI. These are non-free floating drop in replacements for the factory handguards. Good quality and reasonable price.

Or for real big bang for the buck, Grant at G&R Tactical just got in some of the new Magpul MOE handguards. These are polymer drop in replacements for factory handguards which allow for easy mounting of accessory rails.

Good luck in your search.

-RD62