PDA

View Full Version : Which Recievers

sbui
01-10-09, 21:07
So I want to do a build just for the heck of it. Which recievers do you guy's think.

I'm down to these guys, that's if I can even get a just an upper and a lower.

Larue - Saw a complete one today, and wow :D:D:D
LMT
Yankee Hill
CMMG
Wilson Combat
Noveske - Kind of have my heart set on this one don't really know why.

So good and the bad about each would be much appreciated.

I already have 2 Colt's so want one that I can build.

bkb0000
01-10-09, 21:53
So I want to do a build just for the heck of it. Which recievers do you guy's think.

I'm down to these guys, that's if I can even get a just an upper and a lower.

Larue - Saw a complete one today, and wow :D:D:D
LMT
Yankee Hill
CMMG
Wilson Combat

So good and the bad about each would be much appreciated.

I already have 2 Colt's so want one that I can build.

LMT Larue and Noveske will make people say "oooo" when they see it, but only Larue is anything any different from the others, being billet.

you won't find any Noveskes unless you want to pay $500 for it on on gunbroker.com

sbui
01-13-09, 19:25
Anyone else with these opinions on the recieverss????

Mr.Goodtimes
01-13-09, 19:47
i have a CMMG lower and a spikes lower... the cmmg is nice, def a good buy... my spikes lower is excellent in fit and finish, and their customer service is excellent as well.

Patrick Henry
01-13-09, 20:13
Most places are completely sold out of receivers - both upper and lower. SMOS in Grants Pass, Oregon makes the lower receivers for LaRue. They won't sell those directly anymore, but they do have 3 or 4 billet lower receivers with skeletonized magwells left over that they will sell for $325. Otherwise, you'll be waiting a while for a LaRue unless you buy one of his complete uppers along with it. John Noveske is also in Grants Pass, Oregon but he gets his lowers elsewhere and they are not billet receivers. If I remember correctly, Noveske lowers are simply LAR receivers so you are paying a HUGE premium for a roll mark.

Tip o' the day: JTAC Supply has about 20 Spikes lowers in stock right now and they include free color filled safe/fire markings.

Here's a link: Spike's Lower Receiver at JTAC (http://www.jtacsupply.com/spikestacticalstrippedar15lower-colorfillfiresafemarkings.aspx). Tell him the Gary in Oregon sent you. ;)

sbui
01-13-09, 20:21
thanks man but it seems I already ordered and think I should be getting some uppers and lowers in about 6 months. They do look really nice. Finally decided to do a build for an AR and will just wait, not in any hurry for anything. Just wanting so when it comes in, I'll have.

From my understanding of AR's, there are only a handfull of companys that make the recievers and then companies like Noveske, La Rue, or etc do the actual finishing up on things aren't I correct.

Most places are completely sold out of receivers - both upper and lower. SMOS in Grants Pass, Oregon makes the lower receivers for LaRue. They won't sell those directly anymore, but they do have 3 or 4 billet lower receivers with skeletonized magwells left over that they will sell for $325. Otherwise, you'll be waiting a while for a LaRue unless you buy one of his complete uppers along with it. John Noveske is also in Grants Pass, Oregon but he gets his lowers elsewhere and they are not billet receivers. If I remember correctly, Noveske lowers are simply LAR receivers so you are paying a HUGE premium for a roll mark.

Tip o' the day: JTAC Supply has about 20 Spikes lowers in stock right now and they include free color filled safe/fire markings.

Here's a link: Spike's Lower Receiver at JTAC (http://www.jtacsupply.com/spikestacticalstrippedar15lower-colorfillfiresafemarkings.aspx). Tell him the Gary in Oregon sent you. ;)

Patrick Henry
01-13-09, 21:05
The receivers are often totally sub-contracted out. Each individual company may or may not have special features incorporated into their orders but they don't do the work, themselves. The companies that offer billet receivers often mill their own, such as; Sun Devil, Tactical Innovations., POF, SMOS, JP, TKS, etc.

Good luck on your build! Hopefully supplies will ease up for all of us soon.

MisterWilson
01-13-09, 21:08
Anyone else with these opinions on the recieverss????

Yes: Availability of any of them is slim to none. Take what you can get.

Mr.Goodtimes
01-13-09, 21:14
dude buy a spikes, you wont regret it a guarentee you! i live about 45min from their factory and one of the guys lives close to me, whenever i need something i just order it and he brings it home with him and i can pick it up! i know you cant do that but it sorta shows the kinda customer service they have, they are alwayse willing to talk to me if i have any questions and are very knowledgeable folks!

bkb0000
01-13-09, 21:16
spikes was cool until they went from 120 to 180 over night.

Mr.Goodtimes
01-13-09, 21:58
yea i saw that, that made me a little bit upset, but havent prices pretty much gone up everywhere?

bkb0000
01-13-09, 22:19
yea i saw that, that made me a little bit upset, but havent prices pretty much gone up everywhere?

FTF and some unscrupulous dealers.. it's not cool for manufacturers to do it.

i only know of 2 manufacturers raising prices during the obamination

Mr.Goodtimes
01-13-09, 23:16
meh, thats not cool then... they just went down a notch on my big wall of performance notches

Mung
01-14-09, 07:56
Well, to get a Larue you need to buy a Larue upper. But their uppers are also GTG, so just get a complete Larue and you'll have it in a month.

markm
01-14-09, 08:08
I wouldn't want a receiver in any shape or form at this point. It'll be months at least before you could accumulate enough parts to make it go BANG.

Shit! If someone offered me a $99 lower, I'd pass. It's pretty much a paper weight at this point.

NetJunkie
01-14-09, 09:02
I'm a fan of Mega lowers. I have several LMTs and still prefer my Mega. Finish is better... details are better... Plus, you can get a stripped Mega. You can't get a stripped LMT.

Old Glory
01-14-09, 10:55
I wouldn't want a receiver in any shape or form at this point. It'll be months at least before you could accumulate enough parts to make it go BANG.

Shit! If someone offered me a $99 lower, I'd pass. It's pretty much a paper weight at this point.

Yes but if there is a Ban isn't it a "Pre-Ban" paperweight?

bkb0000
01-14-09, 13:25
Yes but if there is a Ban isn't it a "Pre-Ban" paperweight?

the only indication we have that might suggest that is the last ban- which gives us zero insite into the next ban.

nickdrak
01-14-09, 13:40
The stripped S&W M&P15 lowers are very nice. One of, if not THE cleanest machined forged lower receivers I have seen/built on. NO forging marks at all, super nice finish. They also have the largest magwell bevel of any forged lower I have seen.

Another lower that is on the top of my list is Sully's SLR15/Territorial Gunsmiths lower receivers. The only "issue" is that they will not drop-free (brand-new) Pmags. After the Pmags get inserted/removed a dozen or so times, they then start to drop-free, so it is really a NON-issue.

Abraxas
01-14-09, 19:23

Cool logo;)

bkb0000
01-14-09, 19:29
Cool logo;)

i liked 'em for the logal back before i even knew how cool noveske was.. reminiscenct of the Independent Trucks logos we used to sport when we were kids. i wouldn't be surprised if John got the idea from that.

my noveske MUR didn't come with any cool logos- neither Vltor dagger nor Noveske cross irons. i was sort of dissapointed.

thefelix
01-17-09, 20:49

I don't think you look very well as I just checked a few places and could have all this ASAP and in stock
EA lower 115 in 10 days
BCM upper 105 tues
noveske 14.5 recon barrel 370 tues
larue BCG 130 tues
CMMG trigger 130 tues
WOA LPK W/ ergo grip 65 tues
KNS trigger pins 30 tues
CMT milspec buffer assy 55 tues
CTR milspec stock 92 tues
larue handguards 300 tues
gasblock or FSB 20-70 tues
troy buis 140-250 tues
gas tube and barrel nut 25 tues
1000 rnds of XM193 400 tues

If you look you can find it today and at MSRP

Crusader
01-19-09, 11:17
Got two TI, (Tactical Innovations) billet lowers. Love them and they fit perfectly with my Vltor MUIR uppers. Nice set up!

markm
01-19-09, 11:32
KNS trigger pins 30 tues

I'm all over those! :p