PDA

View Full Version : M&P9c or P2000 for CCW?

jhs1969
01-10-09, 23:25
Here is the set up;
I already have a P2000, had it for three years now. It is the 6th HK I've had and is as reliable as expected for a HK, it wears OK on my right hip in a belt scabbard for CCW. I would not want to go any larger for CCW for most of the year. It does shoot slightly left of POI but isn't a problem until I get beyond 10 yrds, I've not drifted the rear sight, I carry it much more than I shoot it.

I also have a full size M&P9 that has been reliable and is extremely accurate (more so than the HK, and shoots precisley to POI) it has taken over the role of my favorite shooter. I've carried it for CCW a few times but it is not well suited for me in that role. It is large enough to reguire larger, longer clothing to conceal and is uncomfortable when seated in a vehicle. When out hiking, hunting or working outdoors I can carry it without much trouble. A better holster would help with concealment but the butt is long enough to still cause problems when in a vehicle.

I bought my wife a M&P9c for her to carry, it is in her purse most of the time, occasionaly she will wear it. I have been very impressed with this one, it is very small, carries well (I've carried it a few times:D), is very accurate (surprisingly so for a sub-compact) has been totally reliable so far (my wife has a much weaker grip than me which has caused some functioning problems is a couple of guns but not this one).

Here is another point;
I used to be very confident with a TDA pistol as I used to shoot them a lot but for economic reasons I don't get to train nothing like I used too (just got hit with a lay off Friday). I now feel more confident with the M&P trigger, it seems to require less training for me. Most future traing now will mostly be with my Ruger .22 for a maintance type of training (less $$$) which the trigger feels more related to the M&P's than the HK's for me. The problem here is I would have to sell the P2000 to get a M&P9c for myself but I feel it would be better for CCW as it would be the same operating system as the full size M&P and would carry and conceal better.

Now to those wish share their thoughts;

Would you sell the P2000 for a M&P9c?

My wife's M&P9c has been very reliable, could I expect the same from another M&P9c?

Any issues with durability?

Any other thoughts? Please chime in. Due to money, I may only get one crack at this and want to explore the pros and cons as much as possible.

Thanks

DocGKR
01-11-09, 00:31
Both are good pistols; personally, I'd sell your P2000 and get the M&Pc to replace it.

ToddG
01-11-09, 08:35
As a general rule, most people are better off sticking to one "system" ... under stress you do not want your brain wasting effort trying to remember whether this is the gun with the decocker or where is your mag release? From that standpoint, standardizing on either the HK system or the M&P system makes sense.

Don't get dragged down the path of thinking a TDA gun is bad. If that is what you want to carry and your ammo budget is limited, you can do the exact same thing you'd do with a SAO or SFA gun: dry fire regularly. Now, if the issue is that you aren't going to devote time to it, then yes the SFA M&P is going to be more forgiving.

If your HK is not shooting to POA, then get the sight drifted. That's an incredibly simple solution and not something you should hold against the gun.

Either the HK or the S&W will be more than reliable and durable enough for your purposes.

dirksterg30
01-11-09, 09:58
If I were you, I would sell the HK. I was in a similar situation - my carry guns consisted of a Kel-Tec P3AT, Kahr MK9, and CZ P-01. Although the CZ has good ergonomics, I found the CZ's DA/SA trigger took a lot more practice to shoot consistently than my DAO guns. We bought a M&P9c for my wife, and I found I shoot it much better than the CZ. My wife doesn't use it much, so it became my carry gun, replacing the CZ. We've since gotten a full-sized M&P9 for home defense and as a range gun.

The M&P9c has been 100% reliable; I've got 674 rounds through it, including 100rds. of 147gr. Rangers with no issues whatsoever. If you're looking for more info on the M&P, check out the M-P Pistol forum: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?act=idx

Palmguy
01-11-09, 10:04
I agree that there is something to be said for commonality...and in that regard I'd probably look at getting an M&P9c to replace the P2k.

RogerinTPA
01-11-09, 11:22
I vote M&P9c. I have 5000+ rounds through mine and is my concealed go to gun. The current M&P line is the "Cat's Ass".

John_Wayne777
01-11-09, 12:28
I agree that there is something to be said for commonality...and in that regard I'd probably look at getting an M&P9c to replace the P2k.

...especially on a budget. Being able to share magazines and carry gear is enormously helpful when you're trying not to spend yourself into the poor house to have a decent self defense option. I carry my M&P 9C in an IWB holster for a full sized M&P, and it works beautifully. I carry a full sized 17 round magazine as a spare for my M&P 9C.

This is, of course, moot if you already have gear and equipment for the H&K. That's a sunk cost at this point.

If training time (or desire to train) is limited and the budget necessary to support the weapon is limited sticking to one system is a great idea. All my carry guns are very similar these days...even down to wearing the same sights.

Beat Trash
01-11-09, 14:35
To the OP, I would re-read your own post. I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but you have answered your own question.

Go shoot your HK and the wife's M&P9c side by side. Be honest with the results. Which ever one YOU shoot better, use that one.

From reading your original post, I'd suggest you sell the HK and buy a M&P9c for yourself.

The side benefit of having one type of platform for both you and your wife is an added bonus.

While my personally owned M&P9c is around 1k rounds mark, my issued full sized M&P 9mm has around 8K rounds through it. I have seen full sized M&P 9mm's with documented 50K rounds. My point is that I feel very comfortable in recommending the 9mm M&P's to anyone as a carry gun.

Get your M&P9c, you won't regret it...

seang
01-11-09, 14:57
I agree sticking with one system would be best. I wish I would take that advice. I have a Sig, Beretta, Glock and M&P. I shot all 4 today trying to have a "shootoff" to see which I liked best.

What I learned is my shooting has gone way down hill since I haven't been sticking to one system. I will most likely stick with the M&P since that is what my department issues. I am waiting for my personal M&P to come back from David Bowie to see how I shoot it with his trigger job. Once that happens I will hopefully make a decision and stick with it. I wouldn't personally choose a M&P with stock trigger, but I'm the only one at our department that I know of who doesn't like it. Of course my Sig has a trigger job and I personally would get one on about every gun except for the glock. The glocks need a stipple job IMO.

Anyway, back to you. I would also compare the guns side by side, but don't forget to compare them doing double, triple taps and just not slow fire. (I'm sure you know this). I shoot the tighest groups with the Sig during slow fire. When I shoot faster I don't do quite as well with the Sig as I did when I was shooting the glock on a regular basis. Good luck with your decision.

gtmtnbiker98
01-11-09, 16:15
The MP9c is an excellent weapon, I own it and carry a 40c as my EDC. I liked these weapons so well, I sold my Glock 26 and Glock 27. If you like it, ditch the HK.

John_Wayne777
01-11-09, 18:25
If your department issues the M&P then the choice is a no-brainer. 9C for sure.

ToddG
01-11-09, 18:50
What I learned is my shooting has gone way down hill since I haven't been sticking to one system.

We call that the S.I.M.P. Principle (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70) ... the more guns you bring to the range, the worse you seem to shoot with any of them.

seang
01-11-09, 20:23
Yeah, makes sense. I am determined to pick one and stick with it. That should be my late new years resolution.

Sorry, for thread hijack.

jhs1969
01-11-09, 20:31
Thanks guys, great advice as always. I'm going to miss this place if the lay off lasts very long.

I had already bought my wife a M&P9c a year ago, she chose it over the Glock. So yes, I've shot it and, of course, it is the same system as my fav shooter, my full size M&P. And it would make a great CCW companion for the full size. I had the HK first and had always been completley happy with it, then I got a M&P9 as a slighter lower cost general duty defense gun (home, truck, hiking etc), what I didn't expect is that it would become my favorite by far. Now it seems the M&P9c would serve me better as a CCW.

I hate to let any firearm go for any reason, especially a HK as I always held a liking for HK's, but we've already discussed the reasons for this. From this thread I guess I wanted two things;

1 Assurance that this indeed would be a postive move (as I expected, support has shown just that), and the loss of the HK we be more than offset with the M&P9c.

2 To use this advice to get my wife to support what ever decision I may make. Like I said ealier I don't like to get rid of a well proven firearm, she REALLY does not want me to get rid of anything. Even though it will prove a better CCW for me. I prefer my wife to understand this and not pull the 'this is what I'm going to do' card.

If budget were not an issue I would simply buy a second 9c but as things stand I must give up one to get the other.

Thanks again guys.

gtmtnbiker98
01-12-09, 11:35
Well, let me first say that I'm sorry for your current economic situation. Secondly, is there anything in your life currently pressing you to buy the second 9c, right now? If not, why not hold off until times are a little better for you and then buy the 9c. After all, tax season is fast approaching and there is always the refund card to play (if you can afford it). I simply hate to see you get rid of your HK since you obviously like it and again, if you aren't being forced to get rid of it then why rush. I really don't want to see you regret this decision down the road.

Wish you luck in your decision.

jhs1969
01-12-09, 11:55
Well, let me first say that I'm sorry for your current economic situation. Secondly, is there anything in your life currently pressing you to buy the second 9c, right now? If not, why not hold off until times are a little better for you and then buy the 9c. After all, tax season is fast approaching and there is always the refund card to play (if you can afford it). I simply hate to see you get rid of your HK since you obviously like it and again, if you aren't being forced to get rid of it then why rush. I really don't want to see you regret this decision down the road.

Wish you luck in your decision.

Thanks for the advice, this is more my wife's train of thought although I would prefer to add the 9c over selling the HK for the 9c as well. But the 9c would by far be a better CCW for me. I've carried her 9c some and it is far easier to carry it in warmer weather and other times when I would not carry the HK, the 9c would provide me a better defensive weapon when otherwise I would drop down to a airweight .38. I'm in no hurry, I think I'll wait until the next local show and see how much I can get out of the HK. I won't be selling it just to raise some $$$, I will only sell it to get the 9c.

Again, thanks for the kind words,

jhs